PDA

View Full Version : Anyone building an AK? What receiver can I get?

Hitman
12-28-2005, 7:02 PM
I see alot of people are building ARs so anyone building an AK variant?

What good receivers are there to get that is not on the blasted AW list?

I need your input quick, the time is ticking.:D

Pulsar
12-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I've been working on a way to do a california legal Romak 3 (also known as Romanian dragunov) with a friend in nevada for a couple months now. Having a hell of a time trying to come up with a good way to permanently attach the magazine and still make it easy to load. Even if I find a good way there is no guarantee that the DOJ will say it's legal, even though the Romak 3 isn't on the list. Course I could always make it into a pump gun.

TimG
12-29-2005, 12:47 PM
An AK in the PRK ?? are you nuts ??

akjunkie
12-29-2005, 12:51 PM
any rifle with a Kalashnikov action is Banned regardless of pistol grip/ thumbhole stock etc.

308 Vepr's with 5rd mags... banned

410 saiga shotguns....banned, no p/g and no hi cap feature... still banned.

icormba
12-29-2005, 12:55 PM
FEG SA-85

or do a search on the many AK forum sites for U.S. made ones (home work time)

Wouldn't want to give away anymore than that. ;)

by the looks of it...
"building" an AK is a lot harder than "assembling" a AR. I'd say maybe on par with "building" a Ca - FAL.

any rifle with a Kalashnikov action is Banned regardless of pistol grip/ thumbhole stock etc.
308 Vepr's with 5rd mags... banned
410 saiga shotguns....banned, no p/g and no hi cap feature... still banned.

Welcome akjunkie!!
you need to look through the posts about this topic from the past month or so... see the California self loading .223 forum.

saki302
12-29-2005, 1:06 PM
An AK isn't too tough to build- tougher than a bolt-up AR, but nowhere near as complex as a FAL, which requires some knowhow and fancy tooling.

Assuming everyone is correct with buying AR receivers under Harrotts in the hopes of having them named later, the same thing applies to AK's no? Build an SB23 compliant gun on a non-named receiver, and you should be good as gold as far as the group thinking goes.
If Harrott's works for AR's, it works for AK's too- or it works for nothing.
The Saiga series was NOT banned by SB23, it was added to the named list later. If you get an un-named AK receiver- well, you have some studying to do.

-Dave

Hitman
12-29-2005, 1:11 PM
So far there are Ohio Ordnance, Global Trades, DCI, and Eubanks receivers out there.

Humm this is getting better and better. :D

I'm also concered about the dry supply of 5.45x39 ammo if I was to aquire one.

icormba
12-29-2005, 1:31 PM
I'm also concered about the dry supply of 5.45x39 ammo if I was to aquire one.

5.45x39 & 7.62x 39 ammo are both a bit dry right now, but that will change... unless someone goes and bans it!

building an AK must be super easy... building an FAL wasn't all that complex.

Pulsar
12-29-2005, 2:02 PM
There not all that bad, especially if you go with a screw build, the rivet's make it a bit harder to do, cause you've gotta have the right tools. I've even heard many people say you don't even have to headspace em, though I don't recomend it. That Romak I helped my friend put together wasn't all that bad, except for getting the barrel pressed into the reciever, that was a pain. Normally it's supposed to be done with a press, but we didn't have that, so we settled with heating the reciver (in the oven) and freezing the barrel overnight. We were able to get the barrel in using a rubber mallet after that, then all you do is drive the holding pin in place. But that's just the Romak 3, it's a designated marksmen rifle and needs to more accurate, the normal AK's supposedly the barrel just drops into place.

bluebaron
12-30-2005, 4:40 PM
Anyone know an FFL willing to DROS an off list receiver?

PM me if you do.