View Full Version : Selling C&Rs

01-18-2010, 6:23 PM
I've got a couple of C&R rifles that I'm thinking of selling to raise funds for another project. They were both bought from dealers, so they were DROSed upon purchase. If I sell them (most likely C&C PPT) is there anything I need to do to protect myself legally? Do you just ask for a copy of their DL or should you fill out a no longer in possession form? The new NLIP form seems to require some form of proof of a transaction...kinda difficult on a C&C PPT.

New NLIP form http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

What do you think?

Also I sold a revolver to a fellow CGer a few months ago (PPT at a local FFL) should I try and get his info and complete a NLIP form?

I never bought any of these with the intent to sell them, but as my taste grows, and room in the safe shrinks, I'm willing to let some of them go to pay for new toys :D


01-18-2010, 6:53 PM
I think your plan is sound. Filing the NLIP forms will help protect you from liability concerns if the people you sell/sold the guns to do something bad (or they get stolen from them, and thief does something bad).

Meety Peety
01-18-2010, 7:04 PM
I thought because long arms aren't registered, theres no record of "who has it" so to speak. The DROS is a record of sale which is trashed after X amount of days and the background check is just that, not a registration process. Don't quote me on this, I'm just as unsure as the OP.. but this was the info I was given by several FFLs when I bought my first gun years ago. Can anyone confirm this?

01-18-2010, 7:15 PM
I know that long guns aren't registered by serial number, and that the records are supposed to be destroyed shortly after the sale. The problem I have with the NLIP form is that it seems to require you to send in a DOJ approved transaction form or wait until the dros paperwork gets to DOJ.

Frankly I'm not that interested in any paperwork, but if I sell these rifles I want to CYA...or CMA.

01-18-2010, 7:17 PM
If the long gun is known to be over 50 years old it is simply cash and carry. That you DROSed them in the past means absolutely nothing beyond there being a 4473 at the FFL you bought them at with their serial number on them.

Don't file the NLIP. Knowing DOJ competence they may try to come after you for doing something legal as they often don't even remember that there is a difference between long guns and handguns.


01-18-2010, 7:25 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Gene. Sometimes thinking you're doing right thing gets you in trouble.

01-18-2010, 8:05 PM
Thanks Gene.