PDA

View Full Version : download speeds

cgseanp1
01-18-2010, 3:44 PM
I am attempting to download a movie (xmen) but it's going slow as all get out. The file is around 4GB and is going to take me about 15 hours at this rate (like 25k or something like that). How the hay can I get this to speed up? I have AT&T cable and I figured it should be quicker than this. I was getting a littler over 100 a bit ago but that still seems slow. Any advice? BTW, I am using "Flashget" to download. Is there something better I should be using?

Thanks

cgseanp1
01-18-2010, 3:48 PM
I did a couple of those online internet speed things and it said my download speed is 2.75MBPS. Seems I am getting way slower than that. Is it maybe from the site I am downloading from? The site is moviepro.net. It is a pay movie site.

juicy
01-19-2010, 2:54 AM
just to let you know that site is based it russia and is not legal in the us. just giving you a heads up :)

Acorn556
01-19-2010, 10:21 AM
just to let you know that site is based it russia and is not legal in the us. just giving you a heads up :)

I'd suck it up with the download times if you're going to commit a $250,000 crime.

cgseanp1
01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
I'd suck it up with the download times if you're going to commit a $250,000 crime.

Mmk, please explain why is is not legal since I am paying for the movies.

shooterfpga
01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
could be the site, or the download program you're using. sometimes those downloading programs open up too many raw connections and the server side kills most of them thinking its a 'spider' bot. basically a web troll searching for stuff.

TURBOELKY
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
2.5k DL speed!!!:eek: dude, I down load 25mbps, that movie would take like................DONE. You need to get cable internet, or verizon...

armygunsmith
01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Are you using Bittorrent?

shooterfpga
01-19-2010, 12:25 PM
not everybody is able to access faster carriers. speaking of verizon are they still charging out the whazoo to have a contractor run the lines and box for fios? they wanted $600 for us to be able to get it when I lived on an orange grove.

cgseanp1
01-19-2010, 1:07 PM
No, I'm not using Bittorent. Not sure what that is. I am just downloading movies that I paid for from the website. I am using some thing called "flashget" though, it's what the website recommended for faster downloads, and it saves the download incase I got disconnected so it would automatically resume where it left off.

Is this really illegal? Anyone know of any good legal sites to download movies? I understand you have to pay for it to be legal.

To the guy that said I need to get cable, I already have cable. I think AT&T uverse is considered cable, right?

armygunsmith
01-19-2010, 1:14 PM
It's probably an illegal site. There are no legal sites that I know of that lets you download and keep the movie without DRM.

shooterfpga
01-19-2010, 1:39 PM
either way he paid for it. so let's just assume its legal. as far as legal, popular sites include netflix and redbox. try re-establishing the download connection ie: resume, and see if that helps.

juicy
01-24-2010, 3:27 AM
No, I'm not using Bittorent. Not sure what that is. I am just downloading movies that I paid for from the website. I am using some thing called "flashget" though, it's what the website recommended for faster downloads, and it saves the download incase I got disconnected so it would automatically resume where it left off.

Is this really illegal? Anyone know of any good legal sites to download movies? I understand you have to pay for it to be legal.

To the guy that said I need to get cable, I already have cable. I think AT&T uverse is considered cable, right?

att uverse is fiber. yes it really is illegal. just because you pay for something doesn't mean its legal :P you're better off with netflix. your download speeds are slow because the servers are probably based out of russia

JDay
01-24-2010, 4:03 AM

Flashget supports BitTorrent and thats probably the protocol you're using. Utorrent is much better. How do you know the site you're on is legit? If it was a service like Netflix you could just stream the movie and you'd have much better speeds.

cgseanp1
01-24-2010, 9:01 AM
I read the "fine" print and I guess it isn't legal. It says something like "while this is legal in russia, we don't guarantee it's legal in your home country, blah blah blah". Of course, they advertise 100% legal all over the website, IF you live in Russia, which they don't mention. Oh well, I deleted my account and the few movies I managed to download, which took me forever to get in the first place. I was looking for a site that you could actually download copies of movies, but I guess those don't really exist. I did find one that might be legal, but they wanted like 20 per movie.. screw that, it's cheaper to go out and buy one.

Vin496
01-24-2010, 9:07 AM
How much are you paying to own this movie?

cgseanp1
01-24-2010, 10:53 AM
$5.

cgseanp1
01-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm having problems staying logged into calguns. It will usually say I am logged in, but when I go to post, it says I need to log in. Once I log in, it says "thanks for logging in" but goes straight back to the log in screen like I'm not logged in. Also, for some reason when I open Calguns, it doesn't show the new posts. For example, once I post this, if I were to close calguns and reopen it, this post wouldn't show up. I'd have to refresh the page to get it to show up. It does this for all posts, not just mine. I'm posting here because I can't create a new thread.

cgseanp1
01-24-2010, 11:06 AM
So, I just clicked this thread from the technology forum, before I clicked it is showed that I(cgseanp) made the last post. But once I opened the thread, the last post that showed up was from Vin496 until I hit refresh. really annoying!

offrdmania
01-24-2010, 3:05 PM
Yeah, I have Charter cable and I download at over 30 Mbps. 2.5 is quite slow

sgtbuck
01-24-2010, 6:05 PM
I am on Cox and I use netflix to stream movies. At the same time I surf the net, my wife surfs the net, my son plays games on the net, my daughter surfs, our phone is on vonage and my daughter is alway on the phone. It's amazing that it is fast enough to keep up but it does.

ldivinag
01-24-2010, 7:10 PM
could be a problem with the modem.

for the longest time, i didnt notice it since it degraded over time.

but then i noticed, when using speedtest, it would time out or give like 1-2 mb speeds.

well i took all the stuff in the middle of the chain. routers, switches, etc.

plugged my desktop straight into the cable modem.

same crappy speeds.

so i returned the modem to comcast. they swapped a new one and when installed, double digits speeds!

virulosity
01-28-2010, 8:43 PM
get a download accelerator such as DAP

JDay
01-28-2010, 10:51 PM
get a download accelerator such as DAP

Those things are garbage and don't actually increase your speed (only your ISP can do that).

IsaacGlass
01-29-2010, 5:46 AM
Let us know when the movie cops are knocking at your door. Those Russians probably hacked into your system by now :willy_nilly:

Markhb
01-29-2010, 5:59 AM
You can download movies from iTunes.

Better download speed is always good
http://www.speedtest.net/result/698891569.png (http://www.speedtest.net)