PDA

View Full Version : More FUD?

jaymz
01-18-2010, 1:34 PM
Was in a gun store doing a PPT this weekend. Buyer was attempting to hand me the cash inside the store. Store employee told us that cash needed to be exchanged outside - I assumed store policy. Okay no problem, then he continued to say that it is a Federal law. That the exchange of cash for a PPT cannot be done inside of the tranferring FFL's place of business. True or FUD? I don't mind exchanging cash outside (other than it could look like a drug deal or something), but I don't know if I buy that the Feds care where the money is exchanged as long as the paperwork is done correctly.

frankym
01-18-2010, 1:36 PM
Never heard that before. I've done transfers at 3 different FFL's and cash transfer was always done inside the store in plain view of the employees.

bodger
01-18-2010, 1:36 PM
I've always counted out the cash in the shop whilst doing the FFL.
Never had a complaint. Pretty weird bit of FUD for a gun store owner to come up with, must be a paranoid type.

MasterYong
01-18-2010, 1:44 PM
:popcorn:

FastFinger
01-18-2010, 1:56 PM
This has been discussed at length a few times before, might try search and see if the previous threads can be found.

Cokebottle
01-18-2010, 1:57 PM
Ditto.
Store policy, I can understand, but not Federal law.

We had a thread on "strawman" transactions a couple of months ago and a couple of store owners indicated that if they saw the cash changing hands outside the store they would be more inclined to believe that it is a "strawman" purchase.

Which shop was this?

jaymz
01-18-2010, 2:32 PM
A So. Cal. chain that starts with a "T" and ends with "urners";). Like I said, not a big deal, just wondering. It was a young kid that seemed relatively knowledgeable otherwise.

madmike
01-18-2010, 3:00 PM
That's too funny!

-madmike.

strangerdude
01-18-2010, 3:02 PM
At ammobros I have done all ppt cash transaction inside with no problems, but have witnessed them advising people to do it outside. Sounds dumb to me.

7.62x54R
01-18-2010, 3:50 PM
Never heard of that i have done ppt's and paid the seller inside the store

West coast
01-18-2010, 4:05 PM
That is all BS!!!!!

Fjold
01-18-2010, 5:54 PM
The first thing that you should do when a gunshop employee starts talking about gun laws is think about the applicability of the law;

Then you can just laugh in his face and ask him:

"Why would the Feds have a law pertaining to a California state PPT law?"

hoffmang
01-18-2010, 7:31 PM
FUD.

:fud:

-Gene

M. Sage
01-18-2010, 8:13 PM
The first thing that you should do when a gunshop employee starts talking about gun laws is think about the applicability of the law;

Exactly. In most states this is such a non-issue because you don't have to involve a third party in your PPT.

jaymz
01-18-2010, 9:09 PM

That was my first thought, but considering that my grass grows a measureable amount during the normal PPT process at most of the chain stores, I figure that it is best to just STFU and get it done as quickly as possible. Magnum Range is my local preference. It took all of about 15 minutes to do the paperwork on my new to me Springfield Loaded that I get to pick up on Sunday. (Which is day 11 BTW - that story's another thread in itself!)

K5Cruiser
01-18-2010, 9:37 PM
I've read of this same type of story here on Calguns from other members who have done PPTs at Turners. It must be some kind of store policy, if that.

C.Strong
01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I've heard this as a variant of the "go out side" policy: "If we see you exchange money for the purchase of this item we have to collect sales tax on it".

Didn't make sense to me at the time, apologized and went on about my business. My business of getting a new (to me) gun. oh yeah.

CavTrooper
01-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Was this the Chino Hills Turners?

xounlistedxox
01-18-2010, 11:19 PM
River City Gun Exchance here in Sacramento did the same thing to me on my last PPT

Colt-45
01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
I wonder who feeds them their FUD:icon_bs: ......

If it's a store policy no prob, just walk outside but to misguide the general public? They probably don't like to see all the cash they're not getting.

jaymz
01-19-2010, 4:22 AM
Was this the Chino Hills Turners?

Nope. You're close though. It's a little furhter south, and then a few miles east.:)

fd15k
01-19-2010, 5:04 AM
Heard that too, in respect to Turners (Reseda). Avoided handing out cash inside since then, but won't do that anymore :)

joefrank64k
01-19-2010, 8:51 AM
I've been told the same thing at Turner's in Norwalk and Pasadena..."cash has to be exchanged outside."

At Ammo Bros (one the of the BEST stores for PPT IMHO) they don't have a problem with the cash changing hands in store.

I would think that the store would NOT want a parade of people exchanging large sums of cash right outside their doors, while one guy is holding a gun case of some kind...

fd15k
01-19-2010, 8:55 AM
I've been told the same thing at Turner's in Norwalk and Pasadena..."cash has to be exchanged outside."

At Ammo Bros (one the of the BEST stores for PPT IMHO) they don't have a problem with the cash changing hands in store.

I would think that the store would NOT want a parade of people exchanging large sums of cash right outside their doors, while one guy is holding a gun case of some kind...

Maybe we should request some comments from Turners top manager ? :)

jaymz
01-19-2010, 8:59 AM
Maybe we should request some comments from Turners top manager ? :)

Don't get me wrong guys, I don't want to start a Turners bashing thread. If that is company policy - whatever - I don't care. But they really should make sure that employees don't try and blame unpopular company policy on anything other than what it is.

bruss01
01-19-2010, 9:00 AM
I would not pay someone cash and THEN do the paperwork to transfer the gun. What's to keep them from running off with your money?

How about half up front to begin the transaction, and the rest after the gun is in 10 day lockup? Seems to me that is fair to everyone.