PDA

View Full Version : Power of Attorney - firearms

pat038536
01-18-2010, 2:03 PM
What are the rules concerning transfer of firearms using a durable power of attorney?

Can a power of attorney be used to transfer/sell/dispose of firearms? Would it cover PPT, out of state purchasing and/or sales?

Let's say an out of state relative grants me a POA to purchase firearms in his name.. would that be legal provided he wasn't a prohibited person?

SVT-40
01-18-2010, 2:52 PM
What are the rules concerning transfer of firearms using a durable power of attorney?

Can a power of attorney be used to transfer/sell/dispose of firearms? Would it cover PPT, out of state purchasing and/or sales?

Let's say an out of state relative grants me a POA to purchase firearms in his name.. would that be legal provided he wasn't a prohibited person?

The only POA "transfer of firearms in for the TEMPORARY transfer for the purpose of disposal.

See here.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/sb950frm1107.pdf

No you can't use a POA to either permenantly transfer,sell or buy firearms in this state or any other. Nor can you buy for anyone else or have them buy for you using a POA. Each would be a felony.

pat038536
01-18-2010, 6:05 PM
From what the form says.. a POA can only be used under specific conditions and only for transfer or disposing of firearms... and here I thought I found a loophole.