View Full Version : Transfer a handgun to someone out of state?

01-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I gave my nephew one of my pistols over Christmas, but there wasn't enough time to do a ftf transfer here. He was on leave from the army and is back in Georgia now. Graduates jump school on the 22nd I think.
Anyway, Is it legal to transfer it to him while he is out of state? If so, I need to send it to an ffl in Georgia right? and since its a gift is there anything else that needs to happen?
Also, if there are any guys/gals in the military looking at this, what are the regs for private weapons on base? He's going to talk to his C.O. after he's stationed, but I thought I'd ask? I should probably ask that in the military forum though.
Thanks for any help in advance, I won't be able to log on for a couple days after this session.

01-18-2010, 2:27 PM
It needs to be sent to a FFL dealer in Georgia.
Your nephew will need to 4473 it at the Georgia FFL dealer.

If he wants to store the firearm on base, it will need to be registered and stored with the MPs.