PDA

View Full Version : Proving Ownership

4DSJW
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
This question is the result of a recent thread which followed the story of a single gentleman who passed away of, I believe, natural causes in his home. His firearms were removed by the police when they left his residence for "safekeeping" and it took his family over one year to get them back.

So I'm thinking that along with my will and other important papers I want to keep a packet of information detailing the firearms I own, a good idea for insurance purposes anyway. If there is a receipt for the gun then that should be good enough. But what about the firearms that I own that do not have a receipt for? I was thinking of photographing each gun I own with my CA drivers license next to it. All of this would be on a disc or USB drive and locked away.

I would be grateful to hear what others think would be the best form of proof to have in hand in order for myself, my SO, or a family member to be able to retrieve any firearms as easily as possible that may be taken by law enforcement officials.

Thank you for your thoughts!

sfwdiy
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Just make a list of firearms with serial numbers and photos. Photos should show the serial numbers. That should be fine.

--B

4DSJW
01-18-2010, 2:57 PM
Is that really all it would take to cover any problem that a law enforcement bureaucracy could throw up to delay or make it more difficult for someone trying to retrieve one or more confiscated weapons? Especially on firearms that I do not have a receipt for?

This is assuming of course that none of the firearms is being held in connection with a crime.

Since it is almost impossible to take a picture showing the entire gun AND have the serial # show clearly, is it reasonable to take one picture showing the serial # clearly with as much of the gun as possible, or take two pictures.

Thank you for the help!

onegreatshot
01-18-2010, 3:12 PM
You know you can never tell when a cops had a bad day and your guns are away

4DSJW
01-18-2010, 3:34 PM
You know you can never tell when a cops had a bad day and your guns are away

Too true, and that's why I posted the question in this forum and not in the General Forum. I'm wondering if there is a way to prove ownership that is legally fairly bulletproof, no pun intended, LOL, so that when some overly exuberant bureaucrat tries to make your life more difficult you can confidently point to the dotted i's and crossed t's.

I'm hoping that some of the posters with a legal background have some input on the best method.

As always, thank you for your help.

CnCFunFactory
01-18-2010, 4:06 PM
I believe you can get a list of the firearms registered to you from the state. I'm sure that would be good enough for all the ones that were dros'd anyway. I know a lot of guys on here were buying guns before I or the dros system was conceived. Just a thought.

CHS
01-18-2010, 5:57 PM
I believe you can get a list of the firearms registered to you from the state. I'm sure that would be good enough for all the ones that were dros'd anyway. I know a lot of guys on here were buying guns before I or the dros system was conceived. Just a thought.

Only handguns, assault weapons, and .50bmg's are registered.

CnCFunFactory
01-18-2010, 6:03 PM
Only handguns, assault weapons, and .50bmg's are registered.

Excellent point. Another hole in the theory. :o

hoffmang
01-18-2010, 7:27 PM
I keep a list of make/model/serial number and FFL I transferred it from or all my guns -and in the very rare case when I sell or trade one - who I sold it to and at what FFL. Worst case I can go get a copy of a 4473 from the FFL if the list is not enough.

-Gene

ALSystems
01-18-2010, 8:36 PM
This question is the result of a recent thread which followed the story of a single gentleman who passed away of, I believe, natural causes in his home. His firearms were removed by the police when they left his residence for "safekeeping" and it took his family over one year to get them back.

I posted the story you are referring to.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=252807

This actually involved one handgun and five rifles which were eventually returned. Only the handgun (CZ 75B) was registered not the rifles. The letter requiring proof of ownership was false and misleading. The guns were retrieved by the father of this single man bringing only his personal ID and the death certificate since he was the heir to the estate. No receipts were actually required despite what the letter requested. :eek:

However, there still remains a second batch of guns still being held by the police. The family is still waiting for a completed police report to proceed. This group of guns includes an old unregistered Luger and several more rifles. The Luger was purchased long before any registration was required. Retrieving this inherited handgun should be more difficult. It is probably unlisted or possibly listed in the name of a deceased grandfather as far as the DOJ would know. I will keep you posted on how this progresses. ;)

4DSJW
01-19-2010, 4:46 PM
Thank you for all the comments and ALSystems thank you for posting a link to the story that generated my question. I'm a firm believer in being as prepared as I can be and there has been some useful information mentioned.

This is a great site to bring up and discuss these kinds of issues, thank you so much to everyone who takes the time to share their knowledge.