PDA

View Full Version : What is the "Best" California county for getting a ccw?

Big Jake
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
To make a long story short I am in the process of getting a divorce and I am strongly considering moving out of L.A. County.

With that in mind what is the best (easiest) California county for getting a ccw? I know Kern county is good but what about any other counties throught the state?

My good cause is self protection and nothing more. I have no background issues (criminal record, drug issues, etc.) that would otherwise prevent me from being able to get one.

With respect to all opinions I am looking for advice from people who have actually gone through the process where they live and been sucessful in getting a ccw.

With that in mind please tell me the following....

1. What was your good cause?

2. How long did it take to get your permit?

3. What was the process?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Eat Dirt
01-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Well....Sure as heck is Not Riverside county

paul0660
01-18-2010, 12:39 PM
In Mendocino County it takes about 2 months. App, livescan, backround, interview. The longest wait is to get into the class, but you can drop in and if there is room you can do it right away.

The only good cause they want to hear is personal protection.

Cokebottle
01-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Not wise to discuss on an open forum.

Check Billyjack's site, CACCW. Plenty of good info there.

Knauga
01-18-2010, 4:42 PM
Go east young man... San Bernardino County welcomes you with open arms!

Meplat
01-18-2010, 5:33 PM
What is the "Best" California county for getting a ccw?

With that in mind what is the best (easiest) California county for getting a ccw? I know Kern county is good but what about any other counties throught the state?

My good cause is self protection and nothing more. I have no background issues (criminal record, drug issues, etc.) that would otherwise prevent me from being able to get one.

With respect to all opinions I am looking for advice from people who have actually gone through the process where they live and been sucessful in getting a ccw.

With that in mind please tell me the following....

2. How long did it take to get your permit?

3. What was the process?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

It took me a couple months in Fresno, but I understand it is down to one month or less now. The CCW unit was swamped right after Margi got elected. The process in Fresno is that you call the SO and they will send you an application in the mail. [redacted]The good cause statement and a list of pistols (up to 4) you would like to have on your permit must accompany the app. After they receive the app. they will call and give you an appointment with a detective. [redacted]The department will check your record and if it all is approved they will call you in to pay for the application fees and an FBI background check: until this point you have not paid a Penney, The county SO is actually providing a service, imagine that! When the FBI report comes back and they are sure they can issue they tell you to go pay for the training.

In Fresno there is a wide variety of training available. My instructor was one whose reputation I knew in advance. He gives a hell of a course in the time available. When I showed up for my appointment he said: “OK, if you want to learn something, I’ll teach you. If you just want your ticket punched I can give you the numbers of guys that will do that, and give you your money back.” I let him keep the money and have never regretted it. I go back to him for my renewals and always learn something new. His name is Ken Zackary.

After you turn in your training documentation they send you your permit in the mail along with a letter of congratulations, both signed by Margret Mims.

My GC was mainly based on [Redacted] But I got the impression that anything within reason beyond: “Self defense period” would have flown. The detectives as much as told me that the DOJ would not buy that, you needed to come up with some reason that you were at higher than average risk. Throw them a bone, make their job easier, they are on your side. Fully 10% of CCWs in CA are held by Fresno Co. residents. I expect that percentage to grow if we can keep Mims in office. I should also say that you should not make anything up. Be truthful. Have at least a grain of truth in anything you say, remember, you will be interviewed by professional lie detectors. Take whatever you actually have and enhance it. But not beyond the point where you can’t convince yourself it’s true.

I strongly advise that you include a statement that you would never use deadly force to protect your money or property: Only your life or the lives of others. They seemed to really like that part. I also advise that you mean it.

I also like our Sheriff’s understanding of her position and responsibilities. In our political system the County Sheriff occupies a unique position. The Sheriff is actually very powerful. Under our system the Sheriff is the undisputed chief law enforcement officer in a given county. The county sheriff actually has the power to tell the FBI or other state and federal LEAs to go pound sand and get out of her county, and call up the local militia to make it stick. Not saying that ours ever would. Just using that as an example of her autonomy. And I think she has an idea of this autonomy. For example, the DOJ has decreed that any handguns that are listed on CCWs must comply with the CA ‘safe gun’ roster. Mims has said: “Roster? We don’t need no stinking roster”. In Fresno county you can put whatever you are comfortable with on your permit.

I don’t know the policies of other departments but it would be hard to beat Fresno.

Fjold
01-18-2010, 6:35 PM
For "good cause" in Kern County you need something more than "self defense" as Meplat stated above.

You can stop by the sheriff's office and pick up the application, take it home, fill it out and provide Legal ID (passport, original or certified copy of birth certificate), proof of residency (which I think is the last 3 (?) months utility bills) and they will do the background review in about 6-8 weeks.

After you get your approval letter, you take the class and turn in a copy of the certificate and I think $168 and in about 4 weeks you get a rice paper.

Kern County is the largest issuer of CCWs in the state but the good Sheriff in Fresno County is fast cutting down the difference.

BiggMatt
01-18-2010, 6:40 PM
For "good cause" in Kern County you need something more than "self defense" as Meplat stated above.

You can stop by the sheriff's office and pick up the application, take it home, fill it out and provide Legal ID (passport, original or certified copy of birth certificate), proof of residency (which I think is the last 3 (?) months utility bills) and they will do the background review in about 6-8 weeks.

After you get your approval letter, you take the class and turn in a copy of the certificate and I think $168 and in about 4 weeks you get a rice paper.

Kern County is the largest issuer of CCWs in the state but the good Sheriff in Fresno County is fast cutting down the difference.

I hear Fresno has terrible gang/crime problems. Do you suppose that is the reason the Sheriff is CCW friendly?

Meplat
01-18-2010, 8:04 PM
I hear Fresno has terrible gang/crime problems. Do you suppose that is the reason the Sheriff is CCW friendly?

Partly. Is it not good to find a sheriff that has realistic solutions to the gang problem?

Big Jake
01-19-2010, 4:38 PM
Thanks to all for the info. I now have some research to do on job opportunities in each of these areas!:cool2:

TurboS600
01-19-2010, 8:56 PM
1. Fres-yes
2. Kern
3.San Bernadino

If you are from LA and want to stay close so you don't have to change jobs/friends/banks/etc...you may want to settle in San Bernadino. Personal protection is GC there and the process is fairly short.

Good luck

Keith

luckystrike
01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
kinda know the answer to this...but.... what about OC?
could I go to another county even tho im from OC?

Cokebottle
01-19-2010, 10:23 PM
kinda know the answer to this...but.... what about OC?
could I go to another county even tho im from OC?
Your permit has to be issued by the Sheriff of the county of your residence.

Once issued, the permit is valid in the entire state.

luckystrike
01-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Your permit has to be issued by the Sheriff of the county of your residence.

Once issued, the permit is valid in the entire state.

sheriff here prob wont issue:[

Cokebottle
01-19-2010, 11:08 PM
sheriff here prob wont issue:[
Correct.

And revealing the stupidity of California's "discretionary issue" CCW regulations.
One can "easily" obtain a permit in any number of counties in the state.
Example, I live in 'Berdoo County... Chino specifically. I could hit a golf ball into LA County.
I have ALWAYS been employed in either LA, Orange, or Riverside counties.
You most likely are not getting a permit in any of those 3 counties... yet with a permit, I would literally be able to spend my entire life except my sleeping/at-home time in those three counties and legally carry.

It's a statewide permit, it should be EITHER shall-issue the way 39 other states are, or issued directly by the DOJ and take the individual county SO out of the loop.

luckystrike
01-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Correct.

And revealing the stupidity of California's "discretionary issue" CCW regulations.
One can "easily" obtain a permit in any number of counties in the state.
Example, I live in 'Berdoo County... Chino specifically. I could hit a golf ball into LA County.
I have ALWAYS been employed in either LA, Orange, or Riverside counties.
You most likely are not getting a permit in any of those 3 counties... yet with a permit, I would literally be able to spend my entire life except my sleeping/at-home time in those three counties and legally carry.

It's a statewide permit, it should be EITHER shall-issue the way 39 other states are, or issued directly by the DOJ and take the individual county SO out of the loop.

oh how I love Ca -_- .....

5shot
01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Go east young man... San Bernardino County welcomes you with open arms!

:iagree:

Big Jake
01-20-2010, 7:29 AM
Thanks again to all for the input!;)

vinny_land
01-20-2010, 11:51 AM

Yeah Kern County has the highest issuance of CCW. Although i do have "good cause" i sadly dont pay any utility bills. BTW...isnt there an age requirement to CCW? 21 yrs? 25 yrs?

Fjold
01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah Kern County has the highest issuance of CCW. Although i do have "good cause" i sadly dont pay any utility bills. BTW...isnt there an age requirement to CCW? 21 yrs? 25 yrs?

The proof of residency has more options, just pick up an application at the Sheriff's department and it will tell you everything.

I don't remember an age requirement but I'm old so I typically don't look for those things. I do know a guy that 40 years ago was one of three people who had a CCW in Contra Costa County and was 17 at the time. But that was long ago and in a different California.

Foriegn power
01-24-2010, 11:18 PM
My good cause would be that, I am outdoors type person that goes fishing, hiking, and go on camping trips out in the wilderness in the many beautiful National Forests, desert and lakes that may have unforeseeable danger to my precious life and the lives of my family. Another, while out in the wilderness if i need help, aid will take an significant amount of time when seconds count. And most importantly, out in the wilderness communication is a tremendous factor, hence cell phone coverage is almost none in existence while out in the wilderness.

What do you guys think?

Cokebottle
01-24-2010, 11:28 PM
My good cause would be that, I am outdoors type person that goes fishing, hiking, and go on camping trips out in the wilderness in the many beautiful National Forests, desert and lakes that may have unforeseeable danger to my precious life and the lives of my family. Another, while out in the wilderness if i need help, aid will take an significant amount of time when seconds count. And most importantly, out in the wilderness communication is a tremendous factor, hence cell phone coverage is almost none in existence while out in the wilderness.

What do you guys think?
#1 - You live in LA County. A big campaign contribution to Lee Baca might get you a permit. Your good cause won't.

#2 - It is not wise to discuss your good cause in public.

Fishing, hunting, and when in your campsite, you are already permitted to carry unless you are in an area where shooting is otherwise prohibited.

chico.cm
01-24-2010, 11:59 PM
if you were to move far enough north, you would find virtually 'shall issue' counties, provided you can clear the background.

There are still a few free counties left in CA.

gotgunz
01-25-2010, 4:15 AM
if you were to move far enough north, you would find virtually 'shall issue' counties, provided you can clear the background.

There are still a few free counties left in CA.

X2 !

Go north young man and find the clean air that is the benefit of less people.

Foriegn power
01-25-2010, 9:09 AM
On the side note, what county does the beautiful place of Mammoth lye in? kern?

Big Jake
01-25-2010, 10:05 AM
On the side note, what county does the beautiful place of Mammoth lye in? kern?

Mono County! Why. Do you live there?

Foriegn power
01-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Would love to live there!

Big Jake
01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Would love to live there!

I ask because my sister lives in Mammoth! Yeah it is nice to have a place to stay and ski for free I might add!:cool2:

JBird33
01-25-2010, 4:04 PM
Self-defense is good to go in Shasta. Takes about a month, though they want proof that you have lived here for a year.

visalia to ventura
01-25-2010, 5:27 PM
I have a question regarding where you apply... and what county would be best.

I currently live in Visalia CA / Tulare County... and have been here for the past 2 years. I have an opportunity to move to ventura county for my same job... that is also my purpose for wanting a ccw....

does anyone know the stipulations on applying in a county like my situation in visalia prior to a move to ventura? would you need to reapply then or wait the two years?

please someone help... i am trying to figure out the best way to go about this decision...

jamesob
01-25-2010, 5:47 PM
i have one from tulare county but i am a former leo. visaliatoventura your ccw is issued from the county you reside. if you move to a different county you have to apply for a new one in that county.

Cokebottle
01-25-2010, 6:45 PM
Permit must be issued by the SO of your county of residence.
If you move to a different county, the permit becomes invalid after 30 days.

DParker
01-25-2010, 6:57 PM
Madera County (just north of Fresno) is probably the easiest and quickest in the state.

Wife and I had our permits in hand 8 days after applying. Any law abiding citizen that can type a coherent paragraph for good cause can get a permit.

Renewals are easy and they will type as many guns on the permit as they can fit front and back. I have 9 on mine. :)

Fresno Sheriff Margaret Mimms is active on Facebook and I recently posted a 'thank you' on her 'wall' for her good CCW policy. She publicly replied that "it only makes sense to arm law abiding citizens". (her exact words)

The Central Valley rocks!

82fb
01-30-2010, 4:25 PM
x2 on Madera County. The SO even offers the class free once a month...

The Original Godfather
01-30-2010, 7:42 PM
Madera County (just north of Fresno) is probably the easiest and quickest in the state.

Wife and I had our permits in hand 8 days after applying. Any law abiding citizen that can type a coherent paragraph for good cause can get a permit.

Renewals are easy and they will type as many guns on the permit as they can fit front and back. I have 9 on mine. :)

Fresno Sheriff Margaret Mimms is active on Facebook and I recently posted a 'thank you' on her 'wall' for her good CCW policy. She publicly replied that "it only makes sense to arm law abiding citizens". (her exact words)

The Central Valley rocks!

Yes it does!

Well at least when it comes to Madera and Fresno county...

Try applying for a CCW in San Joaquin County (I'm born and raised in Stockton) and you'd be classed with all the gangbangers out there... :(

cybordolphin
01-27-2011, 12:19 PM
I am in Mono County. Mammoth Lakes. Does anyone know the CCW temperment up this way? Population under 200,000 I believe..... so that might make it easier?

By the way.... anyone who wants to put together a group.... there are lots of places to shoot up here, and a site in need of cleanup. I am particularly interested in meeting up with long range shooters. I need a spotter! I'll even let you shoot my Barret :) (.416)

Quiet
01-27-2011, 3:22 PM
Permit must be issued by the SO of your county of residence.
If you move to a different county, the permit becomes invalid after 30 days.

Actually, the permit goes invalid after 90 days [PC 12050(f)(4)(B)]. However, you are required to notify you issuing agency within 10 days of moving to a new residence [PC 12050(f)(4)(A)].

Penal Code 12050
(f)(4)(A) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of residence.
(B) If the license is one to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, then it may not be revoked solely because the licensee changes his or her place of residence to another county if the licensee has not breached any conditions or restrictions set forth in the license or has not fallen into a prohibited class described in Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code. However, any license issued pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) shall expire 90 days after the licensee moves from the county of issuance if the licensee's place of residence was the basis for issuance of the license.
(C) If the license is one to carry loaded and exposed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, the license shall be revoked immediately if the licensee changes his or her place of residence to another county.

Manolito
01-27-2011, 3:30 PM
I can't say the easiest because I have not tried all the counties. I will put our Sheriff and his staff up for the friendliest and most professional staff I have ever dealt with. The process is not complicated and makes common sense. Lassen County.
On the other hand jobs are not plentiful up here.
Bill

Big Ben
01-27-2011, 4:05 PM
Sacramento County has recently moved to virtual "shall issue," accepting self-defense as sufficient good cause. Got mine in 3 months when they initially changed the policy. There is a big backlog now that it is common knowledge that the policy has changed, but once they work through the backlog, it should be back down to 90 days or so.

Recession
01-27-2011, 4:59 PM
Well....Sure as heck is Not Riverside county

Why do you say that? Sheriff Sniff is known to be CCW friendly.

Matt3989
01-27-2011, 5:10 PM
got mine in 8 days. Butte county ftw

coq
01-27-2011, 5:24 PM
You like the mountains? New Sheriff in El Dorado Co.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352746

pyromensch
01-27-2011, 8:34 PM
i would think, the real question is, are you leaving LA county to get a ccw, or is it because you are getting a divorce, and need a ccw?

j-rod
01-27-2011, 10:29 PM

What do you guys think?

If you're in the National Forest then just open carry. No permit required. If your actively hunting / fishing out there conceal carry. Again no permit required but might as well just open carry. Think more along the lines of to and from work and stepping out of your house. This is where your 'good cause' is needed.

Cokebottle
01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
If you're in the National Forest then just open carry. No permit required. If your actively hunting / fishing out there conceal carry. Again no permit required but might as well just open carry. Think more along the lines of to and from work and stepping out of your house. This is where your 'good cause' is needed.
Unloaded open carry in areas where shooting is prohibited (which includes roads).
Angeles NF is pretty much off-limits for LOC.

dodgerfan175
01-27-2011, 10:48 PM

I don't remember having to show them any utility bills I believe I used my DMV car registration.:confused: As far as the age thing I'm not sure I was 26 when I first got mine. Call Ana over at the Norris office she'll tell you or better yet go down there everything you need to know is on the application, good luck.

tileguy
01-27-2011, 11:37 PM
butte county in northern ca. i have had mine for many years. Start to finish maybe 3 weeks total. 4 guns total on permit no caliber restrictions. must re qualify every other year with each weapon on permit. need to take a 8 hr. class and qualify your weapons then submit app. at sheriffs office.

Kid Stanislaus
01-27-2011, 11:56 PM
if you were to move far enough north, you would find virtually 'shall issue' counties, provided you can clear the background. There are still a few free counties left in CA.

Butte, Glenn, Shasta, Mendocino, the list goes on and on. They've got too much land area and too few deputies to be denying people their CCW's.

Kid Stanislaus
01-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Self-defense is good to go in Shasta. Takes about a month, though they want proof that you have lived here for a year.

A YEAR? HO-CHEE-MAMA!!:eek:

IEShooter
01-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Am I the only one here wondering why someone would be prepared to uproot everything and move (divorce or not) to a place there their only stated criteria is that it be somewhere where they can easily get a permit to carry a gun?

To the OP, I'd ask why is it that important?

To be clear, I have my CCW, but it is absolutely not the first thing that comes to mind were I to consider a relocation of my family.

If I had been denied, I can't imagine moving as a result.

Big Jake
01-28-2011, 7:26 PM
FYI, Someone has too much time on their hands to resurrect a thread that I posted over one year ago???????:confused::mad:

doctorjet
02-01-2011, 10:02 PM
El Dorado County Sheriff John D'Agostino: "Self defense is good reason enough."

ccwtrainer
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm getting to this thread a little late but, the two counties in northern California that stand out are Sacramento County and El Dorado County. Both Sheriffs are very pro concealed carry and pro good guy.

Matt3989
02-03-2011, 9:04 PM
butte county in northern ca. i have had mine for many years. Start to finish maybe 3 weeks total. 4 guns total on permit no caliber restrictions. must re qualify every other year with each weapon on permit. need to take a 8 hr. class and qualify your weapons then submit app. at sheriffs office.

it's actually only 4 hours :P I just took it last month.

kln5
02-06-2011, 8:49 PM
Madera county.

1. expand a little on personal protection or self defense. maybe a paragraph or two.
2. it took me....two weeks...literally
3. get packet and fill out...take class...make appointment for packet review, test, livescan, and interview.

xxsleepyxx
02-07-2011, 5:53 PM
I've noticed in CA you must attend an interview. This seems to be more in depth which brings forth my question. How in depth do they go? Do they look at arrests, DUIs, etc. and try to judge your character? What if you listen to rap music, are you disqualified?

Fjold
02-07-2011, 6:13 PM
I've noticed in CA you must attend an interview. This seems to be more in depth which brings forth my question. How in depth do they go? Do they look at arrests, DUIs, etc. and try to judge your character? What if you listen to rap music, are you disqualified?

Kern County does not require an interview.

SinisterBud
02-28-2011, 10:58 PM
NORTH

Kid Stanislaus
02-28-2011, 11:48 PM

I specifically did not tell them about the rap music, hope they don't find out!!:43:

Evan III
03-01-2011, 4:13 PM
Am I the only one here wondering why someone would be prepared to uproot everything and move (divorce or not) to a place there their only stated criteria is that it be somewhere where they can easily get a permit to carry a gun?

To the OP, I'd ask why is it that important?

To be clear, I have my CCW, but it is absolutely not the first thing that comes to mind were I to consider a relocation of my family.

If I had been denied, I can't imagine moving as a result.

I most certainly would consider moving to a county that issues CCW's. I to am a CCW holder and I must say that any county that issues would be much higher up on my list. While it might not be the first thing that comes to mind, it will most certainly be a factor. I want to live were people respect the 2nd and peoples right to protect themselves. OK so Kailfornia is not the best for the 2nd I get that. But either way living in a county that issues my be the difference between whether or not you and your family survive a bad situation. If anyone has the OPTION, pick the county that will allow you the right to protect your family and yourself. But thats just my .02

rudigan
03-03-2011, 9:40 PM
Madera county.

1. expand a little on personal protection or self defense. maybe a paragraph or two.
2. it took me....two weeks...literally
3. get packet and fill out...take class...make appointment for packet review, test, livescan, and interview.

I believe Madera has no limit on how many weapons you can have on your permit. Fresno is 4, a lot of counties hold it to 3.

Dexster
03-03-2011, 9:52 PM
El Dorado is a Shall Issue county.

Good Cause = Self Defense

The process took 6 weeks and that is only because of appointments being so backed up because so many out there getting permits.

4 step process which you have to go through

1. Submit Application & fingerprints
2. Interview
3. Take Course
4. Drop off proof of course and pick up your permit (right now it's a 3 week waiting period due to department resources.)

kln5
03-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I believe Madera has no limit on how many weapons you can have on your permit. Fresno is 4, a lot of counties hold it to 3.

Correct, Madera county has no limit to the amount of weapons you can list on your permit. However I would recommend that you don't put them on your permit all at one time. The sheriff doesn't care but his office staff were a bit rude last time I wanted to add to my permit. I heard of someone that had 28 guns on his permit.

Jack L
03-05-2011, 8:30 AM
The efforts of the Calguns legal team is paying off. Considering the history of CA when it comes to concealed handguns, Calguns legal team is making historical changes in the sheriff's mindset at an accelerated rate. Five years ago CA was in the dark ages regarding CCWs. Now, more sheriffs are speaking to each other about it and realizing there is very little if anything to fear about qualified citizens protecting themselves. This has come about because of the hard work by Calguns legal team. The best and brightest regarding CA CCW rights are working at abolishing the discrimination tactics as noted by the number of CCWs issued in the past year alone. Even the RED counties are rubbing their eyes and waking up.

I do not hold animosity against many of the sheriffs as they entered systems decades old that had been entrenched in discrimination and bigotry.

springfieldXD71
05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
This would be a good string to update since county elections for sheriff happen.

Generally, any county with lots of farmland like Kern and San Bernadino counties.

Any county along the NV board until you get to the LA area.

Most counties north of Sacramento except coastal counties.

El Dorado Co is now a shall issue County.

Placer Co you have to have "cause" whatever that is.

Sacramento, believe it or not, which had about 100 CCW permit holders at one point, is a shall issue county now but since they don't have enough staff, you cannot even get an appt on their website, only renewals are done for now.

Orange Co used to be a shall issue County but the female sheriff, coincidentally, won't issue or renew without significant cause and also let thousands of permits expire without renewal. :mad: it's also a blue county so I don't see this changing anytime soon.

ArmyofMike
05-22-2013, 9:18 AM
Fresno is still #1

Bert Gamble
05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
You would think that tiny, rural Colusa county would be good, and it is, if you live outside of the city limits. If you live in one of it's tiny cities, you are out of luck because the Sheriff will not accept applications from people who live in them. This is how he manages to remain a "Pro Gun" Sheriff, while not allowing CCW's in his county. It's not his fault. It is those pesky police chiefs.

ChrisC
05-22-2013, 10:12 AM
El Dorado County is the best, plain and simple. Plus we have the sierra's which means lots of hunting, fishing, and camping.

Knomad
05-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Humboldt County is pretty reasonable. Mine took a little less than three months, mostly because I applied in December and the holidays slowed things down. I'm told it's usually less than that. Sheriff Downey gave a nice talk at the local pistol club dinner not long ago and said nice things about "responsible gun owners."

The process is: take the class and qualify with each of up to three guns, turn in the application, do the interview which I think serves mostly as an opportunity to screen out the occasional less than stable individual, then wait for the phone call (recently changed to mail notification I've heard) to pick up the piece of paper.

Mendocino and Del Norte are pretty gun friendly places too, so I must disagree with the poster above who generically lumped all coastal counties.

Tri750
05-25-2013, 6:21 AM
Yea Madera County is way easy. But then you have to live in Madera County.
Do you like plaid? Own a three legged dog? Drive a Chrysler Cordoba running on 5 cylinders? Have or at least have a desire for a gold tooth?

foreppin916
05-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Sacramento is "shall issue" and the "good cause" statement is " self defense" and that's it. If you have no felonies or drug charges, or DUI's and 3 months later your good to go. Out of everything I have read I would say that Sacramento at THIS point in time is the easiest...

Wicked Pete
05-30-2013, 2:33 PM
got mine in 8 days. Butte county ftw

Too easy in Butte.

Ricochet Rabbit
03-16-2014, 11:27 PM
My main residence is in OC but I will be opening an branch office in Fresno. Can I use the Fresno office to apply for a CCW?

(by the way. As of 03/13/2014 Current interview time for the OC sheriff is June 20th 2016)

Blazede30
04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Any word on san Bernardino County? I'm looking to apply in Chino, but if refused, im going to the county..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

MisplacedTexan
04-08-2014, 10:15 AM
If you are considering moving & are going to be looking for a job in your new county of residence...... why limit your search to Kalifornia? Arizona, Nevada let alone other states are much more CCW friendly (but granted, there might be other reasons that you didn't state keeping you here)

bombadillo
04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Humboldt

bergmen
04-08-2014, 5:07 PM
My main residence is in OC but I will be opening an branch office in Fresno. Can I use the Fresno office to apply for a CCW?

(by the way. As of 03/13/2014 Current interview time for the OC sheriff is June 20th 2016)

County of principle residence is the county in which you can apply, not the county in which you work (or have an office).

Dan