PDA

View Full Version : tranfer ownership of guns

reno911
01-18-2010, 8:49 AM
i live in california and my girlfriends grandfather had about 15-20 handguns and about 15-20 rifles/shotguns. he died about 10 years ago and her grandmother wants to sell them to make some money. i would like to purchase some of the handguns and rifles/shotguns. how or what is the most cost efficient way for me to purchase them from her regarding transfer fees?

Vin496
01-18-2010, 10:01 AM
First question is where is the Grandmother?

If she is in California, she can just PPT then to you. You both meet up at a FFL and she will transfer you the guns. The cost will be $25 per handgun for the DROS. The rifles can all go on the same DROS form so that will save you some money.

An FFL is legally allowed to charge $10 for each PPT, but some many will cut a deal if you are doing multiple transfers.

Now if she lives in another State, that is a whole different process. It would require her doing an intrafamilial transfer to your girlfriend(depending on the handguns and the roster). Then your girlfriend could PPT them to you.

The second scenario is going to be expensive as it requires a transfer and then a PPT.

reno911
01-18-2010, 2:02 PM
awsome!. thanks for the reply.

4DSJW
01-18-2010, 4:11 PM
If the Grandmother is in another state could she not also ship the guns to a local CA FFL and only do the one FFL transfer to reno911 without having the additional PPT from the girlfriend?

Not sure and that's why I'm asking. Either way the Grandmother is going to have to get the firearms shipped to an agreeable CA FFL.

Hmmm, one issue would be non-roster guns I believe.

lorax3
01-18-2010, 4:18 PM
If the Grandmother is in another state could she not also ship the guns to a local CA FFL and only do the one FFL transfer to reno911 without having the additional PPT from the girlfriend?

Right, the reason the second girlfriend PPT was mentioned was due to the roster. If grandma just sent them to a CA FFL they would need to be rostered if DROS'd by a non-exempt person.

Grandma can however send them to a CA FFL to be DROS'd by her daughter (the girlfriend). This procedure, an intra-familial transfer, is roster exempt.

The girlfriend could then PPT them to anyone else as private party transfers are also roster exempt.

This situation would of course need to comply with the 'actual buyer of this firearm' on the 4473 and such.

4DSJW
01-18-2010, 4:23 PM
So if all of the firearms are on the roster then the PPT and fees would not be necessary and a straight CA FFL transfer would work. Any of the guns NOT on the roster would have to be an intra-familial transfer and then a PPT from the girlfriend to reno911.

Is that correct?

lorax3
01-18-2010, 4:33 PM
Is that correct?

Yes.

I would however personally avoid situations that make it look like the girlfriend abused the intra-familial exemption to import an 'unsafe handgun' for sale.

For example: Ten firearms get transfered to a local CA FLL. A couple comes in, the male proceeds to DROS 9 of the 10 handguns. The girl does a DROS on the one non-rostered handgun.

Note: All the weapons came from the same address, and the two people in the store are clearly a couple.

Ten days later, the couple picks up the ten firearms. Before leaving however they ask to transfer the one handgun that the girl had into the boy's name via a PPT.

Now while this could be 100% legitimate, and the girl could have decided she no longer wanted a handgun she had never used, it would probably not be wise.

May draw some attention that is not needed.

Vin496
01-18-2010, 4:36 PM
So if all of the firearms are on the roster then the PPT and fees would not be necessary and a straight CA FFL transfer would work.

If the Grandmother lives in California, then a straight PPT will take place. If she does not live in California and the handguns are on the roster, then she will need to send them to his local FFL for a Inter State transfer(more expensive than a PPT)

Any of the guns NOT on the roster would have to be an intra-familial transfer and then a PPT from the girlfriend to reno911.

Correct, now depending again on where Grandma is, could be as easy as just picking them up at her house(for the granddaughter to take possession), or having to go through an FFL, if she is out of State. Granddaughter will then have to PPT them to the Poster

Is that correct?

Answers in bold

4DSJW
01-18-2010, 4:42 PM
Vin496, thank you for your clarification. I was asking my question based on the Grandmother being outside CA. My apologies for not stating that and making it a bit clearer.