PDA

View Full Version : ACR PISTOL

99medic
01-18-2010, 2:36 AM
My question is, what would be the legalities?

Since it is modular, I can put on the 10.5" BBL and remove the stock and turn it to a pistol, and vice versa.

Does it have to be registered as a pistol and keep it in that configuration?

Is it legal to switch back and forth from rifle to pistol and pistol to rifle?

I hope this is not a stupid question since there are alot of speculations on treads about the ACR.

duc748bip
01-18-2010, 2:54 AM
Sig done it with 556 pistol. More profit margin even if they leave out the stock.

Good_Knight
01-18-2010, 3:25 AM
From what I understand, if you dros it as a pistol then (provided you have at least a 16in. barrel) you can add a stock and use it as a rifle. But rifle to pistol is always a no-no.

SIGscout
01-18-2010, 6:07 AM
From what I understand, if you dros it as a pistol then (provided you have at least a 16in. barrel) you can add a stock and use it as a rifle. But rifle to pistol is always a no-no.

^^^+1
Welcome to Cali :)
atleast your not getting a XCR.

Scorpiusdeus
01-18-2010, 8:23 AM
^^^+1

What's the issue with the XCR?

Rukus
01-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Once you do this however, it is no longer considered a pistol. Reverting it back to pistol form would be considered creating an SBR and would run you afoul of the law.

ajaffe
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Once a rifle, always a rifle.

till44
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
What's the issue with the XCR?

XCR just brought a lawsuit against Magpul/Remington/Bushmaster for patent infringement on their ambi mag catch/release mechanism. It was filed last Thurs. I believe and looks valid. Magpul/Remington/Bushmaster will probably settle out of court to apease XCR and to avoid further problems in ACR sales.

Josh3239
01-18-2010, 1:56 PM
Since it is modular, I can put on the 10.5" BBL and remove the stock and turn it to a pistol, and vice versa.

You'd now have an illegal short barreled rifle (SBR). Removing a stock doesn't make it a pistol.

Does it have to be registered as a pistol and keep it in that configuration?

Yes.

Is it legal to switch back and forth from rifle to pistol and pistol to rifle?

No. The addition of a stock to a pistol will turn it into a rifle. If the barrel is less than 16'' it will turn it into an illegal SBR. If it starts off life as a rifle or ever has a buttstock attached to it then it is a rifle forever.

Standard
01-18-2010, 3:54 PM
^^^+1

:rolleyes: Yeah, who would want something that does everything an ACR does at half the price.