PDA

View Full Version : Making a Backup Disk

Doheny
01-17-2010, 10:44 PM
OK, so I bought a computer from Fry's recently and it had Windows installed already (duh.) However, I noticed there were no disks in the box. I went back to Fry's and asked the salesman about it; he says that's how computers are sold now and I need to make my own system restore/backup disk if I want one.

Does that sound right, and if it is, how do I do so?

ocabj
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Total Fry's BS. OEM pre-installs of a Windows OS are supposed to provide either a Windows installation CD or a restore CD.

COBRA MASTER
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
get yourself a 1000gb hard drive for les than 70 bucks at frys. u could get a real small slim one. and than set up your windows one care system to back up all your stuff on there once a day or once a week.

the back up disc are no longer needed there on the computer hard drive if you ever have to restore your computer to factory default .

Doheny
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
the back up disc are no longer needed there on the computer hard drive if you ever have to restore your computer to factory default .

What if I want to reformat my HD someday...how would I do that?

Toma
01-18-2010, 1:54 PM
It supposed to come with the OS disc, at least. Either give the computer back or raise hell until you get one. You paid for the license to use an MS product, so they'd better give you a copy of said software.

JDay
01-18-2010, 3:47 PM
Total Fry's BS. OEM pre-installs of a Windows OS are supposed to provide either a Windows installation CD or a restore CD.

You're wrong, many OEMs have the restore disk set images on the system now. Instructions on how to burn your set are in the getting started guide. Even tells you to do it first thing when you get to the desktop. You can also order a set from the OEM for about $15. They do this to cut down on costs. Its been this way since XP was out.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph08097

This document pertains to HP or Compaq Desktop computers with Windows XP.
HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP and Compaq Presario Desktop computers made in spring of 2003 and later already come with a hidden preloaded recovery partition. This hidden partition can be used to recover all of the original software in the event of a major problem by pressing the F10 key repeatedly when the computer is first started. However, there might be times when recovery discs are needed to restore the computer, such as when a virus destroys the recovery partition. By using the Recovery CD-DVD Creator program, you can create a set of recovery discs to restore your computer back to its original condition.
Recovery CD-DVD Creator software comes on HP and Compaq Desktop computers made in Spring of 2003 and later. It is strongly recommended that you create a recovery disc set. If your HP or Compaq desktop computer with Windows XP does not have the HP Recovery CD Creator software or if recovery CDs were not created before the recovery partition was damaged or erased, you will need to find a set of recovery discs that matches your model number from the Internet or install a new operating system.
The Recovery CD Creator software can be used to make one set of recovery CDs for the computer. The recovery CD set contains a complete set of the original operating system, drivers, and application software that shipped with the computer.

You can make copies of these if you need more.

OleCuss
01-18-2010, 5:17 PM
Yup, the last several computers I have purchased did not have a DVD with the OS/installation software. There is, however, a function built into the system to generate at least one set of disks for doing a fresh installation. Also, what is really slick is to set up a USB thumb drive with the installation files. Takes a rather expensive thumb drive though. . .

goober
01-18-2010, 5:22 PM
You're wrong, many OEMs have the restore disk set images on the system now. Instructions on how to burn your set are in the getting started guide. Even tells you to do it first thing when you get to the desktop. You can also order a set from the OEM for about $15. They do this to cut down on costs. Its been this way since XP was out.

this^

Doheny
01-18-2010, 6:46 PM

Thanks...I'll give that a try.

Corbin Dallas
01-18-2010, 8:45 PM

Not anymore. Most OEM's barely include the COA.

high_revs
01-18-2010, 9:35 PM
even if the machine didn't come with a recovery disk, it should have a partition in it for recovery. and it should have the tools to ask you if you want to burn it to dvd. one way or the other, computer manufacturers provide you a install copy. if it's on the hard drive, they'll give you an option to burn unto a dvd.

call the mfr tech support. ask them how. if they don't give you one, return it to frys. i'd also write to frys about the idiot salesman.

GameAPBT
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
It supposed to come with the OS disc, at least. Either give the computer back or raise hell until you get one. You paid for the license to use an MS product, so they'd better give you a copy of said software.

Wrong! Some systems come with an application that creates the system disks for you. The license is the lil stick with the product key, it has nothing to do with physical media.

Toma
01-19-2010, 7:24 AM
I'd still give it back and get one from a company that does provide them. All the machines I've bought in the last year have had OS discs, even a little $250 netbook! Anything less would feel like a complete ripoff; I mean that's whole reason you buy a prebuilt machine: for the convenience!

Corbin Dallas
01-19-2010, 8:23 AM
I'd still give it back and get one from a company that does provide them. All the machines I've bought in the last year have had OS discs, even a little $250 netbook! Anything less would feel like a complete ripoff; I mean that's whole reason you buy a prebuilt machine: for the convenience!

Are you sure you got a recovery OS disc? Because I work with these laptops on a daily basis and I have yet to even get a drivers disc.

There's a reason the laptop costs $250 and it's not due to economies of scale.

Toma
01-19-2010, 9:10 AM
Yep, it's a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Recovery OS Disc complete with the "all of this software is already installed on your computer" BS. Maybe only Dell does it now? Admittedly, most of the laptops I own are Dells.

rod
01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
We use "Ghost Image" at work. We re-image our hard drives all the time and Ghost works pretty good.

Corbin Dallas
01-19-2010, 5:59 PM
Yep, it's a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Recovery OS Disc complete with the "all of this software is already installed on your computer" BS. Maybe only Dell does it now? Admittedly, most of the laptops I own are Dells.

Hell, I'd give you XP SP3 for free too...

Toma
01-19-2010, 7:51 PM
Eh, it could be worse; at least the damn thing boots in a jiffy.

Rob454
01-20-2010, 5:27 PM

you are wrong dude. i jsut bought a brand new laptop and they do not come with discs anymore. You simply burn your own from the computer
Rob

jmlivingston
01-20-2010, 6:47 PM
Some manufacturers still provide the disc's with their systems, but you have to specify it when you order. Otherwise it's generally burn your own, in fact I know that Gateways used to come with the blank discs for doing so.

John

kpw001
01-20-2010, 6:53 PM
All depends on the manufacturer. As stated above, more than likely you have a hidden partition with recovery software. When I bought my Dell laptop last year I had the option to add physical media for a couple bucks more.

Also look into extracting the files onto a flash drive, makes installs much faster if you can. Most computers now can boot from a usb device. Only takes me about 15 minutes to complete a clean install of Win7 from a flash drive.