PDA

View Full Version : AR Mag Repair questions

Kali_M14
12-27-2005, 9:10 AM
I have some old AR Mags that I bought before the ban and I was wondering if someone can help me out with this question

If I need to replace a floor plate and/or Magbody could I replace these parts with a floorplate or Magbody from a newer production that has LEO marked on them? Do I have to find some that are of older production and are not LEO marked or are new production that are not LEO marked fine also? also I have to replace both on some do I have to mix up the floor plates and mag bodies so it doesn't look like I imported a complete mag into the state? Any help would be appreciated

RRangel
12-27-2005, 9:12 AM
Why trouble yourself with parts that are marked? It's not worth it.

Kali_M14
12-27-2005, 9:13 AM
some of them are better deals than ones that are unmarked

bwiese
12-27-2005, 9:30 AM
some of them are better deals than ones that are unmarked

Why are you so cheap you wanna possibly cause yourself trouble? Geez.

Kali_M14
12-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Why are you so cheap you wanna possibly cause yourself trouble? Geez.

First off bill it is not that I am cheap, I just wanted to get some info from the knowledge base here. Secondly, I don't necessarily have an endless supply of money, so If I can save some money without causing myself undo grief, I'm going to do it. If you read my post I also asked to see if it was okay for us to replace parts that are from new production, not just ones marked LEO. I need info, not insults. I don't know what's up with you lately, but if you don't want to share any info or are pissed off because this is a repost, then don't say anything. You've gotten on some newer members cases who are really just trying to learn and get info. Isn't this what this board is about, to share knowledge and information so that others may learn and not make mistakes that can get them into trouble and can hurt all firearms owners?

bwiese
12-27-2005, 10:25 AM
First off bill it is not that I am cheap, I just wanted to get some info from the knowledge base here. Secondly, I don't necessarily have an endless supply of money, so If I can save some money without causing myself undo grief, I'm going to do it.

You know how dumb and anti-gun many cops, esp metro ones, are. So waving a red flag marked 'LEO only' is not wise.

Saving a few $ to possibly trigger an arrest is not a cost savings at all. You of course won't be convicted but still...

Kali_M14
12-27-2005, 10:31 AM
You know how dumb and anti-gun many cops, esp metro ones, are. So waving a red flag marked 'LEO only' is not wise.

Saving a few $ to possibly trigger an arrest is not a cost savings at all. You of course won't be convicted but still...

Roger that! but now that you answered that question, how bout having new production non LEO marked Mag bodies and floor plates, specifically ones produced last year, do you think that will cause unnecessary grief?

bu-bye
12-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Brownell's has everything you need. The mag bodies are not date stamped and all parts can be shipped to Cali. Now to stay out of trouble keep the damaged mag bodies that you are replacing. Don't mess around with this. Make sure you have one (1) damaged mag for ever new mag you buy. If the damaged mag might still function I would take a hammer to it and make sure it could never be used again Floorplates do not need to be held on to but it not going to kill you to keep it in the box with the mag bodies. The more you have to support your story the better. Sadly, a mans word means nothing these days.

Kali_M14
12-27-2005, 10:46 AM
thanks for the info!

icormba
12-28-2005, 12:05 PM
yeah... I gotta agree with Bill and the others on this one!

My issue though... I got 2 replacement mag bodies from Brownell's that are marked LE only :(

And no... I don't plan on using them. I suppose returning them would be best.

Gunner1
12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Please dont do it. Just buy unmarked parts. I am a VERY PROGUN Leo and know the laws on this one. Personally I could care less if someone in my jurisdiction has a hicap mag or evil black gun. BUT I am in the minority. I am a FTO (field training officer) and have to tell you that soo many of the younger officers that I deal with are uneducated on this. Out of their eagerness to succeed they often make unwise decisions, making unwise reports to unwise District Attorneys who out of their eagerness to please their handlers can cause a whole lot of grief to YOU. Ultimately you will win, But you most likely will have to make a couple of court appearances, maybe an attorney. This is best case. Worse case? Whatever guns you have with you are thrown in the back of the cruiser, held in evidence ,damaged rusted or worse. When you win and you get your gun/guns back you have just spent thousands of dollars and put alot at risk just to save five bucks? No thanks....

Gunner

bu-bye
12-28-2005, 12:47 PM

My issue though... I got 2 replacement mag bodies from Brownell's that are marked LE only :(

Thats strange. I spoke with a guy who works for the company that makes all the mags for Brownells and he told me that they never have stamped the bodies and don't have any plans to do so in the future. I have ordered a number of mag bodies and my good friend has ordered more then me and not one has had a marking of any kind. When did you buy these bodies?

elmo
12-28-2005, 1:01 PM

my understanding is that all post-ban "hi-cap" magazines are made so they can not be dissassembled, therefore you can not take them apart etc etc. Forces owners to just junk them and purchase new ones. ALl pre-ban magazines are non-marked and can be dissaseembled.

that's why post-ban magazines that can be taken apart are marked LEO

heuer5
12-28-2005, 3:06 PM
my understanding is that all post-ban "hi-cap" magazines are made so they can not be dissassembled, therefore you can not take them apart etc etc. Forces owners to just junk them and purchase new ones. ALl pre-ban magazines are non-marked and can be dissaseembled.

that's why post-ban magazines that can be taken apart are marked LEO

What?!? Mis Info alert!

Gunner1
12-28-2005, 8:03 PM
sorry but that info is plain wrong. I am kinda lucky in that I can still get mags in Kalifornia due to LEO status. I picked up a couple for the PC9 that I bought from Wes at my local copshop, 15 round Ruger no markings any more. I carry a SIG228 at work. I was just issued four new mags, no markings at all.
I think the Restricted mags are a dead issue now. EXCEPT for a few backwards leftist states like Kalifornia.

Gunner