PDA

View Full Version : Private party transfer on pre-ban item?

hkfooey
12-27-2005, 8:02 AM
Is it allowed? For example – AR or pistol not on CA DOJ list?

Not within family transfer – just me and John Doe. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance! :)

Ericthenorse
12-27-2005, 8:13 AM
If it is just a pistol not on the DOJ list, then a private party transfer is how you must sell it.. If it is an AR , or any other gun on the assault weapon list, then you must sell through a dealer to someone out of state...:D If the assault weapon is not legaly registered to you, then you must drive it out of state yourself and sell it to someone in Nevada or something

hkfooey
12-27-2005, 10:03 AM
How about the other way round? Can I buy (through PPT) any AR (with pistol grip)?

Kalifornia sucks on gun law! :mad:

Thanks again!

code33
12-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Review the FAQ on assault weapons
http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Ericthenorse
12-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Some lucky guys got in on a loophole since they legally owned a banned weapon before the ban went into effect. they got a chance to legally register them, and keep them. The only way they can dispose of them is to sell out of state, or disassemble them and sell evrything but the reciever(or what ever part has the serial number). If we are using an AR-15 as an example, there are some AR "style" recievers are legal because they have not been listed as AW's by the DOJ.....yet... AK's are banned by design, so anything that even looks like it might be an AK is automatically banned.. AR's are banned by name. If the one you are looking at has a pistol grip, and will accept a detachable magazine, it is a no-no.... Before you even think about it, check the name on the reciever, and cross refference with th CA DOJ website. :D I wouldn't even concider thinking about it unless the seller can produce a letter from the DOJ stating that the gun in question is legal...

saki302
12-27-2005, 11:32 AM
AK's are banned by design, so anything that even looks like it might be an AK is automatically banned.. AR's are banned by name.

Not really true. Harrott's applies to AR's AND AK's alike- it rules any 'series; ban as too vague and unenforceable.

but no one has tried with an AK yet- main problem is, any backyard joe can put together an AR with a receiver and parts- AK's are not so simple, and require riveting and pressing.

No one has made a fixed mag AK either, because of, well, anyone who knows the design will see why.

-Dave

Librarian
12-27-2005, 1:11 PM
Is it allowed? For example – AR or pistol not on CA DOJ list?

To summarize:
Pistol not on CA DOJ list - PPT = YES
CA Assault weapon - any in-CA transfer = NO
(ignoring exceptions for transferring to a CA AW dealer)

BTW, nice job on the AW FAQ, Bill!

JS-M1A
12-27-2005, 7:46 PM
No one has made a fixed mag AK either, because of, well, anyone who knows the design will see why.
-Dave
I wonder why no one has made an AK with a fold down
mag 10rd mag that stays attached to the receiver?
Hinged from the muzzle end then locks in place.
Like the old AK pistols that had a drum attached.