PDA

View Full Version : For the Droid users.

jarhead995
01-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Anyone rooted or running official 2.1?

JDay
01-17-2010, 5:08 AM
That defies the laws of physics, the way lcd displays work the backlight is always on, it gets dark by blocking the light from shining through the lcd (red, green and blue pixels turn on). I.e. its just not possible that a black background will increase battery life.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm

jarhead995
01-17-2010, 12:27 PM
That defies the laws of physics, the way lcd displays work the backlight is always on, it gets dark by blocking the light from shining through the lcd (red, green and blue pixels turn on). I.e. its just not possible that a black background will increase battery life.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm

Sir, explain to me this. http://www.blackle.com/

now read this

http://www.blackle.com/about/

Blackle saves energy because the screen is predominantly black. "Image displayed is primarily a function of the user's color settings and desktop graphics, as well as the color and size of open application windows; a given monitor requires more power to display a white (or light) screen than a black (or dark) screen."

Also I guess the Droids battery usage feature is lying to me because it went from 68% to 50% after the switch.

Fjold
01-17-2010, 1:30 PM
Screw saving the battery, here's my background:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Africa/youowememoney2.jpg

PolishMike
01-17-2010, 1:42 PM
Typing this on a droid...

I'm running the sholes.info 2.1 though with live wallpapers. Pretty cool stuff.

Mute
01-17-2010, 4:33 PM
Sir, explain to me this. http://www.blackle.com/

now read this

http://www.blackle.com/about/

Blackle saves energy because the screen is predominantly black. "Image displayed is primarily a function of the user's color settings and desktop graphics, as well as the color and size of open application windows; a given monitor requires more power to display a white (or light) screen than a black (or dark) screen."

Also I guess the Droids battery usage feature is lying to me because it went from 68% to 50% after the switch.

That's probably based on the assumption that you're using a CRT monitor. As jday stated, LCD monitors don't work that way.

jarhead995
01-17-2010, 4:44 PM
That's probably based on the assumption that you're using a CRT monitor. As jday stated, LCD monitors don't work that way.

Well damn..

Smart phone not so smart?

JDay
01-18-2010, 12:52 AM

Correct, CRT's use more power to show anything thats not black since the individual pixels have to be lit up. With a LCD there's either a CCFL backlight or a LED backlight that is always on. Setting a dark background does not change this.

This is the type of backlight that is likely in your phone, the entire thing is either on or off. If you want to save power turn the brightness down to about 50% and turn the display off when not in use.

http://www.o-digital.com/uploads/2179/2191-1/LED_Backlight_LSB1158_and_LCD_Backlight_Supplier_2 61.jpg

Seesm
03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
necro sorry... droid.. Have auto backlighting OFF and 50% on brightness will that help the battery... Rep said it would last 2-3 days and I think 3-6 hrs at most (1 day almost) Any ideas..? Please quote me or Pm so I can find this easy... Thanks for any help folks.

psssniper
03-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Get advanced task killer and use it, helps a bit.

Seesm
03-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks Psssniper.. I do have that... Probably should use it more... It loads some programs I do not even use. That drives me nuts...

stan
03-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Get advanced task killer and use it, helps a bit.

i'll second that. the sales guy actually had me install it before i even left the store. very useful

p229
03-30-2010, 1:58 AM
add the power control widget... turn off the bluetooth, gps, wifi, and autosync when you don't need it.

xrMike
03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
add the power control widget... turn off the bluetooth, gps, wifi, and autosync when you don't need it.Yep, all of this really extends battery life on mine too. I turn my phone ON in the morning and OFF in the evening, and with settings like yours, I'm having to recharge my battery every 4-5 days.

To be honest, I don't do much talking, maybe a few calls a day, some days none. And I don't finger-**** my phone all day either, playing with silly apps or games.

FreedomIsNotFree
03-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Advanced task killer is not needed with the Droid due to the linux kernal the OS is written on. To force close all applications is actually detrimental to the functionality of the OS. Its not windows...it is smart enough to know when it needs to close programs running in the background.

Same thing goes for the "virus protection" apps. If you look at the definitions they use they are for, again, windows machines. Someone tell me how a windows virus can do any harm to a linux OS.

FreedomIsNotFree
03-30-2010, 11:44 PM
add the power control widget... turn off the bluetooth, gps, wifi, and autosync when you don't need it.

That will definitely save power, but it gets annoying to wait for the GPS to reacquire when you want to use the GPS functionality. Maybe it's just me.

xrMike
03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Advanced task killer is not needed with the Droid due to the linux kernal the OS is written on... it is smart enough to know when it needs to close programs running in the background.If it is smart enough to know when to close, then how come it doesn't close them automatically? For example, if I change a Setting in the morning, and open up ATK in the afternoon, it still shows "Settings" as open and running, along with any other app I've run during the day. And when I turn the phone ON in the morning, it automatically opens up 15 different apps that I haven't even used yet?

(I have a Droid Eris)

BIGCHRIS
03-31-2010, 1:20 PM
I bought a DROID on the 11th, the one that showed up was D.O.A so I drove the 30min one way drive to the store to exchange it,they exchanged it and now 2weeks later it stopped sending and recieving calls and texts, so after almost 2hrs on my wifes phone with tech support they said that my phone was broke and to go back down to the store and exchange it for another one, so this past saturday I went down there and of course the phone started getting texts and calls the minute I got to the store,the tech guy there said that since he couldnt duplicate the problem he would not exchange it.
I left and used my wifes phone to call 611 and was told by the rude customer service lady that I was SOL basicly, then I spoke with a manager who asked "what do you want me to do". I informed him I wanted a $50 credit and a new phone mailed to my house.He did the $50 and sent a phone,today my phone shows up and its a LIKE NEW model, I call 611 from my wifes phone again seeing as mine is still not working and the manager tells me thats all I get and I am out of luck.....Boy I am loving Verizon right now :(

TonyM
03-31-2010, 3:33 PM
I bought a DROID on the 11th, the one that showed up was D.O.A so I drove the 30min one way drive to the store to exchange it,they exchanged it and now 2weeks later it stopped sending and recieving calls and texts, so after almost 2hrs on my wifes phone with tech support they said that my phone was broke and to go back down to the store and exchange it for another one, so this past saturday I went down there and of course the phone started getting texts and calls the minute I got to the store,the tech guy there said that since he couldnt duplicate the problem he would not exchange it.
I left and used my wifes phone to call 611 and was told by the rude customer service lady that I was SOL basicly, then I spoke with a manager who asked "what do you want me to do". I informed him I wanted a $50 credit and a new phone mailed to my house.He did the $50 and sent a phone,today my phone shows up and its a LIKE NEW model, I call 611 from my wifes phone again seeing as mine is still not working and the manager tells me thats all I get and I am out of luck.....Boy I am loving Verizon right now :(

You know you have 30 days, right? Cancel the service if this really happened to you.

BIGCHRIS
03-31-2010, 5:15 PM
Yea I have 30days, but my old phone was broke and thats why I upgraded to the droid, I just got back from another 30min drive and got a brand new phone from the Verizon store, I love the phone when its working, just dont care for how I am being treated.

FreedomIsNotFree
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
If it is smart enough to know when to close, then how come it doesn't close them automatically? For example, if I change a Setting in the morning, and open up ATK in the afternoon, it still shows "Settings" as open and running, along with any other app I've run during the day. And when I turn the phone ON in the morning, it automatically opens up 15 different apps that I haven't even used yet?

(I have a Droid Eris)

You're approaching the issue from a Windows mindset. Linux can run programs, or have them staged, in the background using extremely limited resources. Don't take my word for it...I'd have to dig up the thread, but the dev that created it admitted as much. Take a look around the Droid forums and you will see the same.

JamesY
04-01-2010, 6:40 PM

How many bars does your Droid show once you get home? Also, is the "3G" icon showing when you're at home?

Seesm
04-01-2010, 6:50 PM
Mt HTC runs out of batteries I think waay too fast. What should it last time wise? And is it Linux based?

sfwdiy
04-01-2010, 7:34 PM
Advanced task killer is not needed with the Droid due to the linux kernal the OS is written on. To force close all applications is actually detrimental to the functionality of the OS.

Ehh, that depends on which apps we're talking about and how exactly this task killer quits the apps. If it's a force-quit, maybe not so great, but if it's just the standard ctrl-c, or "kill process number" type of functionality it's no problem at all.

The question is if those apps are really using up a lot of resources or not. Can you get to a shell and run "top" on the phone, or is there some sort of front-end app that does this? Check CPU/memory usage and see what's really happening.

--B

BIGCHRIS
04-02-2010, 7:53 AM
How many bars does your Droid show once you get home? Also, is the "3G" icon showing when you're at home?
It will show any where from 2-4 bars, and the 3g icon is showing, The funny thing is my wife has the Droid also and it works great.