PDA

View Full Version : Open Banana Carry Protest - San Mateo - Jan 23rd 12PM

Theseus
01-15-2010, 8:52 PM
I posted this on opencarry.org forumsCAUTION

Open carry advocates create a potentially very dangerous situation. When police are called to a “man with a gun” call they typically are responding to a situation about which they have few details other than that one or more people are present at a location and are armed. Officers may have no idea that these people are simply “exercising their rights.” Consequently, the law enforcement response is one of “hypervigilant urgency” in order to protect the public from an armed threat. Should the gun carrying person fail to comply with a law enforcement instruction or move in a way that could be construed as threatening, the police are forced to respond in kind for their own protection. It’s well and good in hindsight to say the gun carrier was simply “exercising their rights” but the result could be deadly. Simply put, it is not recommended to openly carry firearms. If there was a reason to protest in support of open carry, this would be it. As Cato suggests, it is likely an attempt to ambush us into staging an open carry protest.

With that being a likely situation I propose that we arrange a more well-mannered protest. Banana open carry.

It sounds ridiculous, I know. But by not actually protesting by open carry of guns we might get people to focus on the issue instead of the guns and the police activity. After all, are we protesting the right to open carry, or the departments use of insinuated and veiled threats? By using a different tool and form of protest we can also more comically demonstrate to people the current status of gun laws in California.

I am not talking about stopping open carry altogether, but for this singular protest.

Who's with me?

http://claytonscott.info/pics/Holster_Blk.gif

I think tactically we need to make a speedy answer, so I think next weekend, perhaps Saturday the 23rd 12PM @ San Mateo Sheriffs HQ.

If you plan on attending I would appreciate an RSVP e-mail be sent to bananaOC@claytonscott.info.

Please let me know:
1. Your screen name
2. Your name, if you choose to communicate that
3. How many people you may bring with you.

I see this as more than an open carry protest, but a protest against the attitude reflected in the press release. Please inform and bring as many people as you can.

The holsters are $8 ea. and can be purchased here: http://www.cellfoam.com (http://www.cellfoam.com/)

I believe the message should focus more on the police attitude than the open carry movement, but I don't think that we should ignore the movement.

(Thanks for the idea guys)

I want to reiterate to those that might question it, the real purpose is to protest the attitude surrounding the press release and not about the open carry movement.

PLEASE DO NOT OPEN CARRY TO THIS EVENT!

San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
400 County Center
Redwood City, CA 94063

Directions from Sheriff's own website (http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/sheriffs/menuitem.b7e419e678ddeb0274452b31d17332a0/?vgnextoid=7cd8dd7c41211210VgnVCM1000001d37230aRCR D&cpsextcurrchannel=1)

NorCalMama
01-15-2010, 9:03 PM
Ok, this is NOT at all me trying to p*ss on your parade, but to me, the anti gunners would have a field day mocking this. Opely carrying a banana in a holster is a very good start to an SNL or Jon Stewart sketch... sorry, not trying to belittle anything, but I want to try to help keep "our side" look both responsible and rational.
I can see the anti gunners coming out using Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes, using the line "You d@mn dirty apes" while showing monkeys with bananas in their holsters to mock the protest. Don't think they won't pull that sort of crap.
Why not just carry an empty holster or go get a dollar store, clear water pistol to put in the holster? Or a paper cut out of a pistol?

I dunno, I totally agree w/ and appreciate the principle, I just feel like the execution needs to be refined a little bit.

OR, just so I'm sure, is the banana being carried intentional to mock those who are opposed to OC?

dustoff31
01-15-2010, 9:11 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about the banana thing. How would that look on the 6 o'clock news? Not to mention other media as NorCalMama suggests.

If you feel the need to protest, wouldn't empty holsters be more on point?

Richie Caketown
01-15-2010, 9:13 PM
super soakers maybe or nerf toys maybe?

unusedusername
01-15-2010, 9:16 PM
I really like the idea of an unarmed protest to support our right to carry and bear arms....

However I think I will wait until we actually have that right at the state level before I protest it

The second that the 2nd is incorporated (har har) I'll be down for this :)

Theseus
01-15-2010, 9:16 PM
The point is to mock. The point is to get the attention and a banana in a holster will do that.

I understand where your concern is from, but I believe that the banana makes more of a statement. We could respond by open carrying, but instead we respond in a more peaceful and less "aggressive" manner. I mean, what is less aggressive than a banana?

Again, the point here is more to protest the attitude of the department, open carry is only a small secondary purpose.

five.five-six
01-15-2010, 9:17 PM
http://www.hahastop.com/pictures/Banana_Clip.jpg

oaklander
01-15-2010, 9:22 PM
Why not stuff one of these in your holster?

:p

http://www.randomfunnypicture.com/pictures/874dildo-town-sign.jpg

wildhawker
01-15-2010, 9:23 PM
I tend to think it sends just the right message. I'd suggest we make shirts with quotes from various denial letters, their memo and quotes from Heller, Nordyke et al. Lindz and I should be available and will plan to be there.

SixPointEight
01-15-2010, 9:26 PM

Banana's can be used for that, and also a snack if you get hungry halfway through the day?

oaklander
01-15-2010, 9:26 PM
LOL - I still like my idea better. When they ask what's in your holster, tell them where they can stick it.

I tend to think it sends just the right message. I'd suggest we make shirts with quotes from various denial letters, their memo and quotes from Heller, Nordyke et al. Lindz and I should be available and will plan to be there.

NorCalMama
01-15-2010, 9:28 PM
The point is to mock. The point is to get the attention and a banana in a holster will do that.

I understand where your concern is from, but I believe that the banana makes more of a statement. We could respond by open carrying, but instead we respond in a more peaceful and less "aggressive" manner. I mean, what is less aggressive than a banana?

Again, the point here is more to protest the attitude of the department, open carry is only a small secondary purpose.

I think it will ultimately backfire. Good intentions tend to be the pathway to hell.

If you're going for peaceful, what about carrying a pocket Constitution/Bill of Rights/Declaration of Independence in said holster??? Or just a printed copy of the Second Amendment, rolled up. When/if a news reporter asks what is in your holster, you can tell them. To me, that would be the most powerful way to protest.

five.five-six
01-15-2010, 9:29 PM
I like quotes like this one:

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man

NorCalMama
01-15-2010, 9:30 PM

That is utterly disturbing for some reason! :eek:

SJgunguy24
01-15-2010, 9:31 PM
LOL - I still like my idea better. When they ask what's in your holster, tell them where they can stick it.

Your holster should be a jar of peanut butter........ya know just for a bit of shock value:D

Theseus
01-15-2010, 9:33 PM
I think it will ultimately backfire. Good intentions tend to be the pathway to hell.

If you're going for peaceful, what about carrying a pocket Constitution/Bill of Rights/Declaration of Independence in said holster??? Or just a printed copy of the Second Amendment, rolled up. When/if a news reporter asks what is in your holster, you can tell them. To me, that would be the most powerful way to protest.

And you don't think a large group of gun owners walking around talking about Constitutional rights can backfire?

There is no reason the Constitution can't be part of the message, but often that arguments when brought up by gun owners turns people who would otherwise be interested away.

I bet with a banana we will get their attention and keep it long enough for them to get the message and remember it.

obeygiant
01-15-2010, 9:33 PM
http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2008/08/revolver-stickets-banana_dzeen.jpg

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/4/3/633743611632650910-banana.jpg

Would this one constitute a hi-cap mag?
http://img6.travelblog.org/Photos/49999/271801/t/2266776-Mini-bananas-0.jpg

five.five-six
01-15-2010, 9:34 PM
Your holster should be a jar of peanut butter........ya know just for a bit of shock value:D

there is a pick I could post.... but I would be permabant for it

Cokebottle
01-15-2010, 9:34 PM

The protest is in San Mateo... not Castro :D

obeygiant
01-15-2010, 9:35 PM
Theseus,

Fwiw, I think this is a great response to that memo.

Quemtimebo
01-15-2010, 9:35 PM

+1 That is a fantastic idea! It would be a great way to get things done in places like the Bay Area, Sacramento, and Los Angeles. Along with a banner saying something like "Civil rights: just words on paper?"

hoffmang
01-15-2010, 9:36 PM
Where are we going? How are we going to get enough interest to make it worthwhile?

An important note is that the Sheriff has very little urban area in San Mateo County that doesn't have a municipal police force. Redwood City, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco all have their own PDs...

I'll likely show with an empty holster. I can't get passed being mocked for the banana. I might put a copy of the bill of rights in mine...

I also might just carry an empty rifle case...

-Gene

jamesob
01-15-2010, 9:37 PM
Banana's can be used for that, and also a snack if you get hungry halfway through the day? just be sure to wash it before eating it.:D

how about squirt guns?

thedrickel
01-15-2010, 9:39 PM
Even Broadmoor has its own PD. I would be down for an empty holster. I have carried an empty holster w/ loaded mags in it around town before. I vote . . . not in South City please. I don't want to antagonize my own PD . . . they might recognize me!

Hunt
01-15-2010, 9:41 PM

I think you should get 40 -50 OC advocates to lie down in the streets and pour fake blood all over them and make large posters of the veiled threats
in the police memo. Make big posters that say "POLICE THREATEN TO SHOOT
CITIZENS FOR EXCERSIZING NATURAL RIGHTS" get the cameras and recording devices out! also make really big banners of Bill of Rights or just 2A.
Police making veiled threats to peaceful citizens is not to be tolerated by Americans. I would be there but I am too far.

obeygiant
01-15-2010, 9:41 PM

If this does actually happen then the T-shirts are a must have for this occasion.

wildhawker
01-15-2010, 9:43 PM
Awe, Gene, it'll be fun. I promise.

Theseus
01-15-2010, 9:44 PM
"I protested the San Mateo Sheriffs policy and all I got was this shirt with a bloody hole in it!"

Theseus
01-15-2010, 9:45 PM
Where are we going? How are we going to get enough interest to make it worthwhile?

An important note is that the Sheriff has very little urban area in San Mateo County that doesn't have a municipal police force. Redwood City, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco all have their own PDs...

I'll likely show with an empty holster. I can't get passed being mocked for the banana. I might put a copy of the bill of rights in mine...

-Gene

I am not from the area, I only kind of put the idea out there to see. It is still fresh, but I figure that we will all be able to work the details in enough time to pull it off right.

tboyer
01-15-2010, 9:47 PM
I"ll do it, if some one can drive me or pick me up from BART.
I live in San Francisco

hoffmang
01-15-2010, 9:50 PM
We'll pick you up Tom.

Drick and I are the only gun owners who actually live in San Mateo County.

We could try to pull this off in Woodside, but I don't think the VCs would care too much.

-Gene

Hunt
01-15-2010, 9:53 PM
Theseus,

Fwiw, I think this is a great response to that memo.

the idea Americans should curtail any lawful activity in response to threats by armed agents of the State should have every American in this country hitting the streets with fake blood on their shirts as a symbol of protest.

hmm armed agents of the State making threats folks this doesn't even set well with my Gov't school education.
I have an idea--make up T shirts with a bloody bullet hole in it shooting the text of the 2A below that it says brought to you by "San Mateo PD" sell the shirts Nationwide to all 2A support groups.

Theseus
01-15-2010, 9:57 PM
Well, so what kind of shirts and signs do we need?

"We are citizens, not targets!"
"Serve and protect, not shoot and excuse"
"San Mateo Sheriffs Attitude Makes Me Banana's!"

artherd
01-15-2010, 9:58 PM
We need t-shirts, and a unified message.

What point are we trying to make?

1) That we should be allowed to have a gun in the holster?
- That only hits home with CCW denial letters on t-shirts.
2) That the sheriff wants to shoot us for legally UOCing?
- This is a go-nowhere point. (though the fake blood makes it well - nobody likes it when police shoot good guys) What changes in law do we want?

It's good, but this needs to be planned not just a saturday morning "show up let's juice!"

We could try to pull this off in Woodside, but I don't think the VCs would care too much.

hoffmang
01-15-2010, 9:59 PM
The SM County Sheriff's office is actually in Redwood City...

-Gene

Theseus
01-15-2010, 10:07 PM
We need t-shirts, and a unified message.

What point are we trying to make?

1) That we should be allowed to have a gun in the holster?
- That only hits home with CCW denial letters on t-shirts.
2) That the sheriff wants to shoot us for legally UOCing?
- This is a go-nowhere point. (though the fake blood makes it well - nobody likes it when police shoot good guys) What changes in law do we want?

It's good, but this needs to be planned not just a saturday morning "show up let's juice!"

As I said before, I think the message should be more about the police threat against law abiding gun owners in general and focus neither on open carry or CCW policy. . . .but then why wear banana holsters?

This is an important question. With it possibly involving both OC proponents and Calguns members we need to find some uniform message and not a divisive one. What if we use this as a means to show solidarity between the two groups?

xounlistedxox
01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
This is an awesome thread. Does anyone know of anywhere in Sacramento we could open carry/protest/rally?

wildhawker
01-15-2010, 10:34 PM
As I said before, I think the message should be more about the police threat against law abiding gun owners in general and focus neither on open carry or CCW policy. . . .but then why wear banana holsters?

This is an important question. With it possibly involving both OC proponents and Calguns members we need to find some uniform message and not a divisive one. What if we use this as a means to show solidarity between the two groups?

How about a shirt with something along the lines of:

"Age: XX
Profession: Nurse
Felony Convictions: 0
Probability of fighting off an armed attacker: 0%"

"San Mateo County: 1 rape per 5000 residents yearly
San Mateo County: 1 violent crime per 346 residents yearly
San Mateo Sheriff Target Response Time: 15 minutes, 13.5 minutes for emergencies*
San Mateo Sheriff's Dept: 15 minutes away when you need them, "hypervigilant" when you don't

*SMSO Memo 4/29/09

"In San Mateo County and have a police emergency? Don't dial 911 - call a massage parlor and ask for the Sheriff's room."

Hunt
01-15-2010, 10:37 PM
... I think the message should be more about the police threat against law abiding gun owners
threats by armed agents of the State are unacceptable in America, time to wear bloody T shirts in protest

Cokebottle
01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Probability of Ability to fighting off an armed attacker: 0%"
Maybe a bit stronger

wildhawker
01-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe a bit stronger

Maybe, but I somewhat geared that example towards my wife. God help someone who doesn't think she has an "ability".

She might not win, but you won't either. :chris:

CnCFunFactory
01-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Well after reading the memo you guys may want to sport a little kevlar with the banana's. We wouldn't want a police officer who is responding with "hypervigilant urgency" to shoot a calgunner for carrying a deadly banana.:mad:

obeygiant
01-15-2010, 11:26 PM
here's one

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/446/boctshirt1.png

oaklander
01-15-2010, 11:31 PM
I'll be there. Emailed you my info.

I lost my holster in my recent move, so I will just probably stuff a banana (or dildo) in my pocket. . . and wear my AK47 t-shirt (or whatever shirts we get - I'm a 3x). . .

All kidding aside - sounds fun.

7x57
01-15-2010, 11:39 PM
I can't believe nobody has posted this:

piWCBOsJr-w

If I saw a bunch of people openly carrying holstered bananas, I'd probably exclaim something similar to Cleese's outburst at 1:34....also a problem with banana carry is illustrated at about 2:20.

7x57

wildhawker
01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
That is a classic scene.

Hunt
01-15-2010, 11:46 PM
here's one

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/446/boctshirt1.png

if that shirt has the Bill of Rights on it, it needs a few bloody bullet holes with the text added "brought to you by the San Mateo PD"

wildhawker
01-15-2010, 11:53 PM
if that shirt has the Bill of Rights on it, it needs a few bloody bullet holes with the text added "brought to you by the San Mateo PD"

To be accurate, it would be "SMSO" as it was not the PD that issued the memo.

obeygiant
01-15-2010, 11:54 PM
last one for the night.
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7610/boctshirt2.png

oaklander
01-16-2010, 12:12 AM
How about if we all wear shirts that say:

"I [heart] Happy Endings!"

wildhawker
01-16-2010, 12:22 AM

Funny line!

Lagduf
01-16-2010, 1:25 AM
It'd be great if a few people showed up unarmed but with body armor. "Defense from the Hyper vigilant SMSO"

edwardm
01-16-2010, 3:45 AM
What a neat idea.

But to be different, I'm going to pack plantains. Bananas are just so....pedestrian. ;)

Kharn
01-16-2010, 4:09 AM
I'd suggest getting shirts pointing out the holsters. Many people do not notice a simple holster on your belt, but you can easily call attention to it with a $3 Walmart t-shirt and an iron-on transfer. Here's what MD empty holster rallies are using on Monday, for an idea:
http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14601&stc=1&d=1263312548

socal2310
01-16-2010, 4:36 AM
I'd suggest getting shirts pointing out the holsters. Many people do not notice a simple holster on your belt, but you can easily call attention to it with a $3 Walmart t-shirt and an iron-on transfer. Here's what MD empty holster rallies are using on Monday, for an idea:
http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14601&stc=1&d=1263312548

No link or embedded image.

Python2
01-16-2010, 7:27 AM
We'll pick you up Tom.

Drick and I are the only gun owners who actually live in San Mateo County.

-Gene

Hey, not fair, I have a residence and office in San Mateo County too.

Why not in Redwood City, County Hall where the Sheriffs Office is located.

Eat Dirt
01-16-2010, 7:35 AM
:hide:

Hey buddy , is that thing loaded ??

CitaDeL
01-16-2010, 7:36 AM
The message that I think must be inextricable must be the following;

1) Police have no duty to protect us.
2) The San Mateo Sheriff not only denies our right and duty of self defense but is issuing threats against lawful behavior- albeit in many people's view absurd and/or unusual.
3) Carrying a banana is absurd and unusual, but no less lawful than carrying an unloaded handgun.

Anyone have any thoughts on making this more coheasive?

Swatguy10_15
01-16-2010, 7:36 AM

Weve all seen what happens when news reporters do theyre thing on UOC. They report in a manner consistent with theyre personal beliefs..Or shall we mention the livermore incident where the UOC thing looked pretty bad when LPD showed up ready to fling lead? Put the guy on the wall and frisked him? That looked bad. The common attention span of john q public is comparable to a 5 year old..They saw a man with a gun, then the police show up with alot of guns...Then they went on with theyre day after they got done watching seeing if anything "cool" would happen.Nobody really got educated on what/why and its purpose.
A bunch of folks carrying unloaded (make sure thyere unloaded!haha) bananas is a great way to get whats needed. ATTENTION. Let those mock if they want,who cares? Last time I checked were not here to be the most popular kid in school.Also noting whats wrong with the potential? Heck maybe it would work to the benefit if it did get mocked on late night. The purpose of the UBC would be dissimenated in a hilarious manner. Humors a great tool and will prompt alot more eager ears than waling around with a rolled up piece of paper.People will see and people will wonder..Then some will ask and voila! Youve just introduced more people into the fight for our freedoms without any truly negative attention. I think its a standup idea. UOC isnt really having the intended effect.

bodger
01-16-2010, 7:39 AM
3) Carrying a banana is absurd and unusual, but no less lawful than carrying an unloaded handgun.

I didn't think much of this idea until I read the post above. If that point can be made, it might be worth it.

On the other hand, this is why free state gunnies laugh at us. :D

CavTrooper
01-16-2010, 7:48 AM
I think if the point is to protest the police depts threats against law abiding citizens you need to have a direct message, nothing that can be convaluted or confused.

Yall need to put your big boy pants on.

Call your lawyers, call the federal authorities, call the media, call the san mateo pd, let everyone know what you are doing, how it is legal and how youve been threated by the police for engaging in a perfectly legal act.

Man up, strap on your guns and stroll to town.

Anything less is just opening yourselves and the whole 2A movement to be mocked.

Quit half assing it, make a statement or dont. A bananna in your holster is just a letter of surrender.

If UOC is indeed legal and non-threatening, then do it and show them you arent afraid to excercise your rights.

GrizzlyGuy
01-16-2010, 8:01 AM

How about carrying one of these non-functional parade rifles (http://www.dancecheer.net/spiritmall/product.php?productid=16536&cat=327&page=1) instead? You'd have to spray-paint it bright yellow, of course. And add a few age spots. Your aged "long banana" would be perfectly legal per 12555 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12555.html):

As used in this section, "imitation firearm" does not include any of the following... A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern...

You'd be able to claim that your banana is the longest in the bunch. How often does a guy get a chance like that and have it actually be true? :D

Swatguy10_15
01-16-2010, 8:07 AM
I think if the point is to protest the police depts threats against law abiding citizens you need to have a direct message, nothing that can be convaluted or confused.

Call your lawyers, call the federal authorities, call the media, call the san mateo pd, let everyone know what you are doing, how it is legal and how youve been threated by the police for engaging in a perfectly legal act.

Anything less is just opening yourselves and the whole 2A movement to be mocked.

Quit half assing it, make a statement or dont. A bananna in your holster is just a letter of surrender.

If UOC is indeed legal and non-threatening, then do it and show them you arent afraid to excercise your rights.

Although you have a very good and valid point we need the support of the public. Not everyone will jump on board like that as many still fear Law Enforcment and what can happen for a perfectly legal act. UNfortunately alot of people tend to live like sheep.
What were trying to accomplish is bringing some of those sheep over to the wolves. No ones saying never UOC again, but why not try another method that is more "user friendly" to the general uninformed public and maybe get a few more bodies on our side of the fence. Theres nothing wrong with that :) We need every last bit of support to win this, I say whatever it takes to recruit. Do it! :chris:

GuyW
01-16-2010, 8:13 AM
....some need to be just banana peels - they're unloaded, right?

CavTrooper
01-16-2010, 8:25 AM
Although you have a very good and valid point we need the support of the public. Not everyone will jump on board like that as many still fear Law Enforcment and what can happen for a perfectly legal act. UNfortunately alot of people tend to live like sheep.
What were trying to accomplish is bringing some of those sheep over to the wolves. No ones saying never UOC again, but why not try another method that is more "user friendly" to the general uninformed public and maybe get a few more bodies on our side of the fence. Theres nothing wrong with that :) We need every last bit of support to win this, I say whatever it takes to recruit. Do it! :chris:

UOCers dont want or care about the support of the public, they dont care about the support of other 2A groups, they dont even care about the support of eachother. To quote a certain well known, now convicted and disarmed UOCer, "fighting the fight, with or without you" or something similar.

Well fellas, the guantlet has been dropped. You have been told by the San Mateo PD that you will not UOC, you do not have the right to UOC, and you will comply with thier demands or face the concequences.

Ive heard alot about these folks being true Patriots and equating themselves and thier fights for 2A rights to our forefathers, our Decleration of Independence and the American Revolution. Alot of these folks have declared themselves true Americans (unlike those who do not support thier movement) and warriors, yet here we are, adversity comes thier way and they are folding under the pressure, giving in to the oppositions demands, surrendering thier god-given and legal right to defend themselves.

Based on their own claims and standards for expressing thier rights and liberties, I belive we can now dismiss these folks as self professed "Patriots" and move them firmly into the "Tories" catagory.

Good job guys.

wildhawker
01-16-2010, 8:29 AM
I'm not sure what you mean to do except incite anger, but I'm quite impressed with the UOC community evolving into a more strategically-oriented one.

That's a good thing.

Why are you trying to get them to give the Sheriff what he wants?

UOCers dont want or care about the support of the public, they dont care about the support of other 2A groups, they dont even care about the support of eachother. To quote a certain well known, now convicted and disarmed UOCer, "fighting the fight, with or without you" or something similar.

Well fellas, the guantlet has been dropped. You have been told by the San Mateo PD that you will not UOC, you do not have the right to UOC, and you will comply with thier demands or face the concequences.

Ive heard alot about these folks being true Patriots and equating themselves and thier fights for 2A rights to our forefathers, our Decleration of Independence and the American Revolution. Alot of these folks have declared themselves true Americans (unlike those who do not support thier movement) and warriors, yet here we are, adversity comes thier way and they are folding under the pressure, giving in to the oppositions demands, surrendering thier god-given and legal right to defend themselves.

Based on their own claims and standards for expressing thier rights and liberties, I belive we can now dismiss these folks as self professed "Patriots" and move them firmly into the "Tories" catagory.

Good job guys.

CitaDeL
01-16-2010, 8:31 AM
Provacateur among us.

RP1911
01-16-2010, 8:41 AM
Just make sure you have one person assigned spokesperson duties. Refer all questions from media to that person.

CavTrooper
01-16-2010, 8:49 AM
I'm not sure what you mean to do except incite anger, but I'm quite impressed with the UOC community evolving into a more strategically-oriented one.

That's a good thing.

Why are you trying to get them to give the Sheriff what he wants?

Many of the UOCers drew a line in the sand between themselves and CGN, CGF, etc. seperating themselves and thier intetions from those of the greater goal. They railed against those who asked them to stand down for fear of damaging the overall movement. Thier actions have, in part, led to more hurt then help in this arena, and I belive that they owe it to themselves to either follow through or admit thier mistakes.

Provacateur among us.

Yes indeed.

AlexDD
01-16-2010, 9:11 AM
threats by armed agents of the State are unacceptable in America, time to wear bloody T shirts in protest

http://www.peggsandson.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/174x261/12244fabd66f796af39038f447b25711/D/S/DSCF2579.jpg

http://www.peggsandson.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/174x261/12244fabd66f796af39038f447b25711/D/S/DSCF2583.jpg

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0007/6812/products/gunholster_pnk_medium.jpg?1249395448

It's ironic that the tshirt prints are from England.

bodger
01-16-2010, 9:15 AM
I'm not a complete hardliner against UOC anymore. I tend to see both sides of the argument, and agree mostly with those who propose a stand-down for the greater good of positive outcome of future court battles.

But when the UOC movement comes down to bananas in holsters instead of guns? Seems like that's a public display of disarmament as opposed to an open exercising of one's gun rights, or even a dignified protest of the infringement thereof. Let's show the antis just how effective they are at neutering us. UOC of a firearm isn't against the law we're using fruit instead.

It IS legal to UOC in California. Do it or don't, but a friggin' banana??

I'm sure I'm not seeing all of the fine points and nuances of the proposed Unpeeled Open Carry outing. I'll gladly read any enlightening rebuttals.

CSACANNONEER
01-16-2010, 9:25 AM
Since I grew up in San Mateo County, I'd love to attend but, I doubt I could get up there right now. If T-shirts become available, I'd love to buy one for me and one for my father who still lives there. The SMSO, denied him a CCW even though he is legally entitiled to one being a retired Federal LEO with +30 years on the job. I'm sure he'd wear it all the time!

wildhawker
01-16-2010, 9:42 AM
Think about your audience; all communication likely has more than one party, and sometimes intentionally so.

1/14/09: News reports on UOC and San Mateo SO memo: "warning shot".
Option 1. Do nothing, allow the story to subside.
Option 2. <2 weeks after the leading story on primetime news, organize a mass UOC to protest memo; news reports "large group of militant gun owners at war with law enforcement shows up to armed protest after Sheriff (subtext: our friends, who protect and save us) issues a stern memo warning against it (subtext: crazy gun idiots brandishing guns to intimidate our friends, the police, scaring citizens). "Dear Assemblyman Hill/Ruskin, please end this madness. Now. Sincerely, Sheriff Munks"
Option 3. Organize a teaching event that highlights the inequity of the Sheriff's policies on CCW issuance, outright hostility towards and contempt for law abiding citizens (and their fundamental rights) and addresses those points made by CitaDel here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3649523&postcount=58).

Personally, I like the idea of leveraging the SMSO target response times with something to the effect of:
San Mateo County: 1 rape per 5000 residents yearly
San Mateo County: 1 violent crime per 346 residents yearly
Average duration of violent crime/rape: xxx minutes
San Mateo Sheriff Target Response Time: 15 minutes, 13.5 minutes for emergencies* (after calling 911, which is difficult when pinned to the ground by your attacker)
San Mateo Sheriff's Dept: 15 minutes away when you need them, "hypervigilant" against lawful citizens when you don't.

*SMSO Memo 4/29/09

ETA: While we shouldn't look past those very real risks that UOC may still pose (such as for those living within GFSZ, ammo storage/transport etc.) the largest risk from UOC is to UOC itself. Since LOC is off the table, the potential benefits of well-planned UOC efforts are starting to tilt the scales by to it being a useful tool.

I'm not a complete hardliner against UOC anymore. I tend to see both sides of the argument, and agree mostly with those who propose a stand-down for the greater good of positive outcome of future court battles.

But when the UOC movement comes down to bananas in holsters instead of guns? Seems like that's a public display of disarmament as opposed to an open exercising of one's gun rights, or even a dignified protest of the infringement thereof. Let's show the antis just how effective they are at neutering us. UOC of a firearm isn't against the law we're using fruit instead.

It IS legal to UOC in California. Do it or don't, but a friggin' banana??

I'm sure I'm not seeing all of the fine points and nuances of the proposed Unpeeled Open Carry outing. I'll gladly read any enlightening rebuttals.

GrizzlyGuy
01-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Since LOC is off the table, the potential benefits of well-planned UOC efforts are starting to tilt the scales by to it being a useful tool.

Is that a queue for me to again link to my old Sun Tzu/UOC post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3378248&postcount=166) about the importance of reconsidering your battle plan when conditions on the ground change? ;)

wildhawker
01-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Is that a queue for me to again link to my old Sun Tzu/UOC post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3378248&postcount=166) about the importance of reconsidering your battle plan when conditions on the ground change? ;)

I do believe it's an appropriate segue back into that conversation. The dynamics have changed, and so must we.

oaklander
01-16-2010, 10:21 AM
My banana is going to be ribbed, for their pleasure.

obeygiant
01-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Something like this for the front?

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7620/targetheart.gif
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1855/hearttarget.jpg

wildhawker
01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
My banana is going to be ribbed, for their pleasure.

:eek:

Did somebody say "UOCBP" ('unloaded' open carry of bull penis)? (or was it UOCBPIAU: 'unloaded' open carry of bull penis in a unitard?)

Steyr_223
01-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I am bringing this..

;)

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/4467216/view/1/producttypecolor/16/type/png/width/280/height/280

nicki
01-16-2010, 12:53 PM
When you life is on the line, when seconds mean life and death, dial 911 and the police are 15 minutes away.

My response time with a 1911 45 cal pistol engaging 3 targets, 8 to 9 shots is right at 3 seconds.

Saturdays are generally slow news days, so the reporters are running around looking for stories, especially TV.

We probably could get coverage if the reporter can create a "newsworthy story".

Newsworthy means the three "Cs".

1. Conflict
2. Controversy
3. Compassion.

Nicki

obeygiant
01-16-2010, 12:55 PM
When you life is on the line, when seconds mean life and death, dial 911 and the police are 15 minutes away.

My response time with a 1911 45 cal pistol engaging 3 targets, 8 to 9 shots is right at 3 seconds.

Saturdays are generally slow news days, so the reporters are running around looking for stories, especially TV.

We probably could get coverage if the reporter can create a "newsworthy story".

Newsworthy means the three "Cs".

1. Conflict
2. Controversy
3. Compassion.

Nicki

Didn't PNS25 post the name of a reporter up in that area? It may be time to give that person a call and say here is our response to the latest memo issued by the Sheriff.

Hunt
01-16-2010, 1:49 PM

+500 right is right no moral relativism with this.

oaklander
01-16-2010, 1:56 PM
PS - if anyone is coming in from out of town -they are welcome to stay with me at my house to save on hotel.

wildhawker
01-16-2010, 1:56 PM
+500 right is right no moral relativism with this.

You do realize you were just played, right?

Cokebottle
01-16-2010, 2:56 PM
PS - if anyone is coming in from out of town -they are welcome to stay with me at my house to save on hotel.

Umm....

I think I'll spend the night in EPA :D

diginit
01-16-2010, 9:09 PM
All an empty holster is good for is holding a 1/2 pint. I'll go for a shot.
But why not UOC? An unloaded gun is less hazardous than a banana. Someone might slip and break their neck. ;)
I have a 2 gun rig. The Bill of rights in one and the constitution of the US in the other. Just something about a man with 2 bananas....Makes me uneasy. But we need tshirts, Banners, And the right words if asked questions by the press.
Where is this happening?

obeygiant
01-16-2010, 9:46 PM

2) The San Mateo Sheriff not only denies our right and duty of self defense but is issuing threats against lawful behavior- albeit in many people's view absurd and/or unusual.

These are all excellent points. How can we word this so that it is succinct and effectively communicates our desired result?

obeygiant
01-16-2010, 9:56 PM
Something else to consider as we look to find the appropriate wording:

We want to communicate that the scare tactics of SMSO is an unacceptable response to the lawful behavior of those that were UOC.
We want to demonstrate the absurdity of this response by an equally absurd notion which is to Openly Carry a Banana.
We have a right* to protect ourselves and our families
We have been stripped of our RKBA and CCW is available only to a select few.

NorCalMama
01-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes, humor is fine, but is this a laughing matter? A banana is kind of absurd and can be used in the right setting for the right affect, but to me this is a serious thing. This is serious. The people either need to exercise their right, or have it stripped away. We aren't granted the right to bear fruit, it's the right to keep and bear arms. No LEO can take that away, unless people let them.
So what to do? Let the cops have a good laugh at the people openly carrying bananas or openly carry your unloaded firearms and if it comes to it, file a lawsuit and aggressively go after this corrupt department?

yelohamr
01-17-2010, 9:22 AM
I think most LEOs in San Mateo County will enjoy the humor because the mocking is directed toward Sheriff Munk. They probably know the type of person he is and realize its another episode of the sheriff opening mouth and inserting foot.
What would great is, LEOs responding to the protest carrying bananas in their hand or attached to their duty belt with a velcro strap.

obeygiant
01-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Yes, humor is fine, but is this a laughing matter? A banana is kind of absurd and can be used in the right setting for the right affect, but to me this is a serious thing. This is serious. The people either need to exercise their right, or have it stripped away. We aren't granted the right to bear fruit, it's the right to keep and bear arms. No LEO can take that away, unless people let them.
So what to do? Let the cops have a good laugh at the people openly carrying bananas or openly carry your unloaded firearms and if it comes to it, file a lawsuit and aggressively go after this corrupt department?

I absolutely agree that this is a serious matter but I would ask that you consider Wildhawker's post from earlier in the thread.

Think about your audience; all communication likely has more than one party, and sometimes intentionally so.

1/14/09: News reports on UOC and San Mateo SO memo: "warning shot".
Option 1. Do nothing, allow the story to subside.
Option 2. <2 weeks after the leading story on primetime news, organize a mass UOC to protest memo; news reports "large group of militant gun owners at war with law enforcement shows up to armed protest after Sheriff (subtext: our friends, who protect and save us) issues a stern memo warning against it (subtext: crazy gun idiots brandishing guns to intimidate our friends, the police, scaring citizens). "Dear Assemblyman Hill/Ruskin, please end this madness. Now. Sincerely, Sheriff Munks"
Option 3. Organize a teaching event that highlights the inequity of the Sheriff's policies on CCW issuance, outright hostility towards and contempt for law abiding citizens (and their fundamental rights) and addresses those points made by CitaDel here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3649523&postcount=58).

Option 1 is off the table at this point.
Option 2 is the default response that many would arrive at and has the potential of exacerbating the situation.
Option 3 removes us from the emotion of the situation and becomes an organized and tactical response that allows us to leverage the absurdity of their hostility to lawful behavior.

Maestro Pistolero
01-17-2010, 10:55 AM
The sense of absurd humor will play in our favor here. Just because it is a demonstration about a serious issue, does not mean we should take ourselves so seriously. Public opinion can be softened and hearts opened a little by a lighthearted approach to communicating a serious issue. Liberals feel more threatened by gun owners that appear angry. This approach may help the 'medicine go down'.

Theseus
01-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I also wish to look at it from a "winning LEO hearts".

By having a more level-headed protest than with guns, we might be able to help diffuse the hostility with the rank-n-file officers. Reducing the tension in the issue might allow more people to hear the message, hopefully and especially the deputies of the department.

Bring extra boxes of bananas to give to the deputies as a mid-shift snack.

bomb_on_bus
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM

-Gene

I like this idea!

Just tell em why the 2nd amendment is the 2nd and not the 8th, 17th, or 24th sub A paragraph 2 sentence 4-8.

Theseus
01-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Wasn't there someone here that did t-shirts? I have not seen them here that I can tell. Can the t-shirt designer please PM me so that we can work on getting this angle completed?

Also, if you are interested in a shirt, maybe knowing what sizes we need would be helpful?

Kharn
01-17-2010, 11:55 AM
No link or embedded image.Rehosted:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/John_McFly/ARfcom/proof.jpg

Hunt
01-17-2010, 2:05 PM
You do realize you were just played, right?

yes, regardless there is no moral relativism with this issue.

madmike
01-17-2010, 2:16 PM
I love this idea, but I hate bananas...
I'm also tied up next Saturday.

-madmike.

wildhawker
01-17-2010, 2:18 PM
Hunt, do we want to throw a public tantrum or win?

People inherently dislike whiners. People generally appreciate the strategic use of humor and satire. For the gun issue in a overwhelmingly anti-gun area, we're going to have to use cunning; a show of force is generally a losing proposition for us here in the Bay.

Hunt
01-17-2010, 2:26 PM
Hunt, do we want to throw a public tantrum or win?

People inherently dislike whiners. People generally appreciate the strategic use of humor and satire. For the gun issue in a overwhelmingly anti-gun area, we're going to have to use cunning; a show of force is generally a losing proposition for us here in the Bay.

far better to win the hearts and minds of the masses, yes, humor is great if the better option, but there should be no surrender on protesting this issue that American citizens have recieved a veiled threat of murder by armed agents of the State. I agree the Bay area is much different than main street Apache Junction AZ

Farquaad
01-17-2010, 2:59 PM
I'd go but my fat @** would just get hungry and start eating the bananas, and then where would we all be.

Asphodel
01-17-2010, 3:09 PM
Hmmm..........I'm just curious.....and haven't taken the time to read all the postings in this 'thread'.....is there anyone here who hasn't heard the original old story of 'Banana Joe' MacNamara, and how he came to be known as 'Banana Joe'?

There may well be a few of the folks here who know the story better than I.......just in case there's some 'newbies' here who have never heard the story, will someone be nice, and re-tell it here?

cheers

Carla

obeygiant
01-17-2010, 3:20 PM
Hmmm..........I'm just curious.....and haven't taken the time to read all the postings in this 'thread'.....is there anyone here who hasn't heard the original old story of 'Banana Joe' MacNamara, and how he came to be known as 'Banana Joe'?

There may well be a few of the folks here who know the story better than I.......just in case there's some 'newbies' here who have never heard the story, will someone be nice, and re-tell it here?

cheers

Carla

this?

A true superstar in the gun-control movement, McNamara earned his nickname while serving - briefly - as chief of police in Kansas City, MO. during the mid-1970's. Having been hired, in part, based upon his academically-inspired "progressive ideas", Chief McNamara promptly lived up (or down) to his command staff's expectations by declaring that the presence of firearms-carrying law officers tended to "alienate and intimidate the community" and was thus a direct cause of crime. McNamara then recommended that Kansas City police officers stop carrying guns. Shortly thereafter, a number of senior officers came to work one morning, chipper and ready-for-duty with bananas in their holsters.

toopercentmlk
01-17-2010, 3:22 PM
Why not our already owned holsters, empty. Wasn't there a pro-2a movement on a college campus doing this? Texas?

kf6tac
01-17-2010, 3:30 PM
yes, regardless there is no moral relativism with this issue.

There's no moral relativism, but it's also not a binary proposition.

Maestro Pistolero
01-17-2010, 3:33 PM
Quote:
A true superstar in the gun-control movement, McNamara earned his nickname while serving - briefly - as chief of police in Kansas City, MO. during the mid-1970's. Having been hired, in part, based upon his academically-inspired "progressive ideas", Chief McNamara promptly lived up (or down) to his command staff's expectations by declaring that the presence of firearms-carrying law officers tended to "alienate and intimidate the community" and was thus a direct cause of crime. McNamara then recommended that Kansas City police officers stop carrying guns. Shortly thereafter, a number of senior officers came to work one morning, chipper and ready-for-duty with bananas in their holsters.

Great!! There's even historical precedent and context for the absurdity of gun control as demonstrated by the 'banana'. That's rich.

Mr.CRC
01-17-2010, 3:48 PM
the idea Americans should curtail any lawful activity in response to threats by armed agents of the State should have every American in this country hitting the streets with fake blood on their shirts as a symbol of protest.

hmm armed agents of the State making threats folks this doesn't even set well with my Gov't school education.
I have an idea--make up T shirts with a bloody bullet hole in it shooting the text of the 2A below that it says brought to you by "San Mateo PD" sell the shirts Nationwide to all 2A support groups.

You are waking up too late. We are already too far down the road to a police state to stop it now. Unless a majority of the population suddenly gets wise and turns radically libertarian. The Republicans are just as dangerous to liberty as liberal Democrats. Only libertarians get this. Learn about it here:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w126.html
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/044590.html
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/047562.html

Enjoy your last modicums of liberty while they last, because they probably won't.

And please don't vote Republican or Democrat (except for very special cases such as Ron Paul, Peter Schiff, etc.).

yelohamr
01-17-2010, 4:13 PM
this?
Quote:

Part of this happened after McNamara was taking heat from residents in the inner city, because a burglary suspect was shot by police after they arrived at the scene, while he was fleeing. Turned out the burglar was a junenile...a very large juvenile.
For several years after McNamara left KC, the graffiti on an overpass of I-435 was still visable. It read: "McNamara Go Home".
There was also a fake General Order posted on station bulletin boards as to what size rock, depending on age, you can throw at a suspect.

GrizzlyGuy
01-17-2010, 6:35 PM
Wasn't there someone here that did t-shirts? I have not seen them here that I can tell. Can the t-shirt designer please PM me so that we can work on getting this angle completed?

Also, if you are interested in a shirt, maybe knowing what sizes we need would be helpful?

An easy way to do this would be to use CafePress.com (http://www.cafepress.com/). You can setup a store for free, and you only need to upload a graphic file with the artwork for your shirt. Each person can then order that design on T-shirts, sweatshirts, coffee mugs, bumper stickers, etc.

You might pay a little bit more than a group buy on a lot of shirts, but you can't beat the convenience. They can turn around shirt orders in 24 hours for any folks who want to pay the overnight fee.

Anothercoilgun
01-17-2010, 6:38 PM
I see no reason to encompass most of the suggestions. Some bananas, some empty holsters, some nerf, some rolled up bill of rights. The point of the protest should be that if it attracts ANY attention then you prove your point.

No open carry should draw any attention given rights were respected by both law enforcers and the citizens. When it draws attention hold up big signs written with "WHY?". Why as in why open carry. Why as in why did this even draw attention in the first place.

diginit
01-17-2010, 7:06 PM
Is this demonstration something we would need a permit for? Like a parade or streetdance? I know we have the right to assemble and to protest, But I also know some city ordinances prevent us from practicing our rights. UOC for example.
I'm still looking for the place and time or a link to the thread. How can we go if no one knows where it's at?

FastFinger
01-17-2010, 7:49 PM
The appeal* of the banana is that it is outrageous - and therefore the event would have a very good chance of getting a bunch* of coveted TV and paper coverage. The danger is that the absurdity of the banana is ripe* to overpower our message.

Need to keep in mind that it's not the event, not even the banana, that matters. What counts is the message that will be presented to the public, the "film at eleven." And that's largely out of our control -although we can certainly try to shape it.

Therefore key to the event is a very, very succinct, clear, easy to eat and digest message. One so unambiguous and simple that even a 3rd string weekend TV reporter can't miss it. So far, with over 110 messages, I haven't seen that one simple summation yet.

I worked in TV newsrooms for over 20 years (in the Bay Area no less) and can say that we need to craft the message carefully, and just as carefully make certain it's properly delivered to the decision makers - the assignment desk editors and the field reporters. Also - in order to not look pathetic, we will need a good sized bunch attending, just 3 or 4 will be ripe for ridicule.

Have the message clearly written, using as few words as possible, and presented by our spokesperson in a clear non-confrontational way. Include all the relevant back up and support material - including stats on self defense, crime in carry friendly states, etc.

This could definitely garner press attention, which could be either a blessing or a curse, we just need to make certain the banana splits* in our favor.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2iay5bd.png

*poor pun somewhat intended.

obeygiant
01-17-2010, 7:54 PM
The appeal* of the banana is that it is outrageous - and therefore the event would have a very good chance of getting a bunch* of coveted TV and paper coverage. The danger is that the absurdity of the banana is ripe* to overpower our message.

Need to keep in mind that it's not the event, not even the banana, that matters. What counts is the message that will be presented to the public, the "film at eleven." And that's largely out of our control -although we can certainly try to shape it.

Therefore key to the event is a very, very succinct, clear, easy to eat and digest message. One so unambiguous and simple that even a 3rd string weekend TV reporter can't miss it. So far, with over 110 messages, I haven't seen that one simple summation yet.

I worked in TV newsrooms for over 20 years (in the Bay Area no less) and can say that we need to craft the message carefully, and just as carefully make certain it's properly delivered to the decision makers - the assignment desk editors and the field reporters. Also - in order to not look pathetic, we will need a good sized bunch attending, just 3 or 4 will be ripe for ridicule.

Have the message clearly written, using as few words as possible, and presented by our spokesperson in a clear non-confrontational way. Include all the relevant back up and support material - including stats on self defense, crime in carry friendly states, etc.

This could definitely garner press attention, which could be either a blessing or a curse, we just need to make certain the banana splits* in our favor.

*poor pun somewhat intended.

Like this:

These are all excellent points. How can we word this so that it is succinct and effectively communicates our desired result?

Something else to consider as we look to find the appropriate wording:

We want to communicate that the scare tactics of SMSO is an unacceptable response to the lawful behavior of those that were UOC.
We want to demonstrate the absurdity of this response by an equally absurd notion which is to Openly Carry a Banana.
We have a right* to protect ourselves and our families
We have been stripped of our RKBA and CCW is available only to a select few.

FastFinger
01-17-2010, 8:09 PM
* We want to communicate that the scare tactics of SMSO is an unacceptable response to the lawful behavior of those that were UOC.
* We want to demonstrate the absurdity of this response by an equally absurd notion which is to Openly Carry a Banana.
* We have a right* to protect ourselves and our families
* We have been stripped of our RKBA and CCW is available only to a select few.

That all makes sense to me - and no doubt to most on this board - but put yourself in the place of the reporter or Joe 6-pack at home. First all the acronyms, each and every one, need to be expanded to the actual wording. Then we need to elaborate on UOC - itself a concept difficult to grasp - even on these forums.

Not saying I disagree with any of those points, not at all, but we must find a way to get them across, in less than 20 seconds, in a way that a 5th grader can understand.

"The sheriff has made it impossible for all but a few privileged people to protect themselves and their families with a concealed weapon. Fortunately the law allows everyone else to openly carry an unloaded firearm. But now he's threatening to have his deputies shoot us for exercising even that manner of basic self defense."

obeygiant
01-17-2010, 8:17 PM
That all makes sense to me - and no doubt to most on this board - but put yourself in the place of the reporter or Joe 6-pack at home. First all the acronyms, each and every one, need to be expanded to the actual wording. Then we need to elaborate on UOC - itself a concept difficult to grasp - even on these forums.

Not saying I disagree with any of those points, not at all, but we must find a way to get them across, in less than 20 seconds, in a way that a 5th grader can understand.

"The sheriff has made it impossible for all but a few privileged people to protect themselves and their families with a concealed weapon. Fortunately the law allows everyone else to openly carry an unloaded firearm. But now he's threatening to have his deputies shoot us for exercising even that manner of basic self defense."

Agreed. That is precisely why I posted the above so that we could get some discussion going on how to effectively communicate our message so that it is succinct and easily understandable.

sorensen440
01-17-2010, 8:25 PM
I like it
If I wasnt going to be in Vegas I would be there

oaklander
01-17-2010, 10:10 PM
My message is simple.

Here's a dildo. Now suck it.

Hunt
01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
You are waking up too late. We are already too far down the road to a police state to stop it now. Unless a majority of the population suddenly gets wise and turns radically libertarian. The Republicans are just as dangerous to liberty as liberal Democrats. Only libertarians get this. Learn about it here:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w126.html
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/044590.html
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/047562.html

Enjoy your last modicums of liberty while they last, because they probably won't.

And please don't vote Republican or Democrat (except for very special cases such as Ron Paul, Peter Schiff, etc.).

I am in the camp of evolutionary politics as in supporter of the Free State Project and other forms of political evolution. This is indeed the future the old paradigm is dying.

Theseus
01-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Why not our already owned holsters, empty. Wasn't there a pro-2a movement on a college campus doing this? Texas?

There is no reason you can't bring your own holster. The real point is the banana and less about what holster it is carried in.

obeygiant
01-17-2010, 11:42 PM
My message is simple.

Here's a dildo. Now suck it.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/Escargot_Pudding/1235975856375.jpg

Theseus
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Reminder BUMP.

Trying to get a headcount. Please go here and vote, and let me know by sending the e-mail.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=260128

BlindRacer
01-19-2010, 4:54 PM
Hey guys, new around here, but was reading through this whole thread today, and was trying to come up with something that would be simple and to the point. Seems obvious, but maybe it would work. Maybe a little more emphasis on the 'AND', though.

On second thought, it might just get lost since it's been seen before, people may not catch the 'AND Bear' part.

Don't know if this is the exact message that you guys wanted to get across, but that's what I imagined - to keep AND bear.

Won't be able to take part, but I hope all goes well, and here's to our rights. :cheers2:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z307/quiktaco/2Ashirt.png

andalusi
01-19-2010, 8:17 PM

So does that rig use dessert-grade Militec chocolate syrup for lube and Skippy brand solvent?

Durasteel
01-19-2010, 9:35 PM
Anyone else conjure images of the "Self-defense against fresh fruit" skit after reading about this idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfIkMXw_YM4

Next we'll have the police shoot us and claim "Well, he was attacking me with a banana."

davescz
01-20-2010, 8:16 AM
really bad idea, just open carry to get the point across, the banna thing seems funny, not real. open carry folks ought to hound the anti-civil rights police right and left until they get the point we will not go away.

7x57
01-20-2010, 8:28 AM
While this all seems fun, as serious activism consider the lesson the Tea Party people are learning about promoting an agenda politicians don't like. The leading edge is quite open that they're not about protests or letter writing anymore--they mean they're done trying the Soap Box. What they did is turn the protests into a way to assemble critical mass and establish lines of (mostly electronic) communication between like-minded people who did not know each other so as to more effectively pursue efforts at the Ballot Box.

If the lesson carries over, the best thing Open Banana Carry can do is neither persuade politicians nor the undecideds but rather connect with sympathizers who are not connected to the Calguns/NRA information backbone. I haven't heard that advocated as a primary goal before, but perhaps it is worth considering.

7x57

gose
01-20-2010, 8:42 AM
How about carrying fleshlights?
Maybe Sheriff Munks can relate more to that than bananas? :D

Aleksei Vasiliev
01-20-2010, 8:45 AM
Collaboration with the Pink Pistols!

andalusi
01-20-2010, 1:11 PM
really bad idea, just open carry to get the point across, the banna thing seems funny, not real.

It really, really is. When I mentioned to my wife some people were going to "open banana carry" in our neck of the woods, she burst out laughing and asked if this was really an anti-gun rights event. Something this silly surely is meant to paint gun owners as ridiculous, after all.

Now we're talking!

The Banana
01-20-2010, 2:32 PM
I think its the best idea ever! Not that I am biased or anything. Smile.

Seriously though, being innately stupid is sometimes the best way to get a point across. Because waving tea bags around to protest taxes makes sense? The point is to make a point inoffensively and with humor and I think this more or less does that.

nicki
01-20-2010, 2:33 PM
San Mateo County is a big place.

I am open to suggestions, wherever we go should have accessible parking, preferably no schools so that we don't have the GFZ issue.

We need a time and place.

Saturday's tend to be slow news days, so we may get some press coverage.

If we get press, we have to have "bullet points" and we need to direct the press to people who don't fit the "redneck mold".

The ideal for the Bay Area would be to have both a Pink Pistol and Calgun rep speak to the press and with coordinated sound bites.

13 people said they would show up on the poll, that is a good start.

If anyone here is in San Mateo, please give us suggestions.

This isn't rocket science guys.

If someone could show with a good quality video so that we could post it on you tube, I believe it will help.

There is debate on wheter we should do open unloaded. May I suggest that we go empty holster, but keep sidearms close by in locked containers so that options are open.

Bananas can be kept in brown bags, locks are optional.:p

Nicki

campperrykid
01-21-2010, 7:10 AM
Sounds like fun.

pingpong
01-21-2010, 8:07 AM
So, if you have a black banana, does that make it evil?

Theseus
01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I first would like to apologize for being out of the loop for so long. These rainstorms have been causing power fluctuations, intermittent internet and at the same time my cellphone has crapped out.

I believe that the best time for the protest would be 11 AM or 12 PM. That should give people a reasonable amount of time to arrive from other places and perhaps get home after the protest. The protest should be at the sheriffs department headquarters. I will get the address of it and possible parking places. (I am not from there, so if someone knows the area enough, that would be great).

As for the mention below, Pink Pistols are welcome and encouraged to protest.

As for the media bullet points, I can develop those since don't want people to distract from the important points, but I would like some help in developing a press kit. I think it is important to keep what we say limited, but what information we provide as plenty.

i.e. 12031(e) checks are unconstitutional and can lead to civil cases. We have plenty of evidence of these infractions and can use this venue as a mention that the gloves come off, and with it, so does their qualified immunity from 4A infringements. If you have a helpful case, forward it to me so that I can prepare that argument.

I still have no desire to have this protest end up with open carry, or maybe even perhaps a locked container carry. Remember, even with a locked container they still have the "right" to inspect to see if it is loaded. Something we want to prevent.

The purpose is not to protest for open carry, but protest the attitude of the department. To protest against the illegal searches and seizures of every day law abiding gun owners.

San Mateo County is a big place.

I am open to suggestions, wherever we go should have accessible parking, preferably no schools so that we don't have the GFZ issue.

We need a time and place.

Saturday's tend to be slow news days, so we may get some press coverage.

If we get press, we have to have "bullet points" and we need to direct the press to people who don't fit the "redneck mold".

The ideal for the Bay Area would be to have both a Pink Pistol and Calgun rep speak to the press and with coordinated sound bites.

13 people said they would show up on the poll, that is a good start.

If anyone here is in San Mateo, please give us suggestions.

This isn't rocket science guys.

If someone could show with a good quality video so that we could post it on you tube, I believe it will help.

There is debate on wheter we should do open unloaded. May I suggest that we go empty holster, but keep sidearms close by in locked containers so that options are open.

Bananas can be kept in brown bags, locks are optional.:p

Nicki

keneva
01-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure my wife and I can attend this. I will keep watching for more info. Thanks.

Decoligny
01-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I first would like to apologize for being out of the loop for so long. These rainstorms have been causing power fluctuations, intermittent internet and at the same time my cellphone has crapped out.

I believe that the best time for the protest would be 11 AM or 12 PM. That should give people a reasonable amount of time to arrive from other places and perhaps get home after the protest. The protest should be at the sheriffs department headquarters. I will get the address of it and possible parking places. (I am not from there, so if someone knows the area enough, that would be great).

As for the mention below, Pink Pistols are welcome and encouraged to protest.

As for the media bullet points, I can develop those since don't want people to distract from the important points, but I would like some help in developing a press kit. I think it is important to keep what we say limited, but what information we provide as plenty.

i.e. 12031(e) checks are unconstitutional and can lead to civil cases. We have plenty of evidence of these infractions and can use this venue as a mention that the gloves come off, and with it, so does their qualified immunity from 4A infringements. If you have a helpful case, forward it to me so that I can prepare that argument.

I still have no desire to have this protest end up with open carry, or maybe even perhaps a locked container carry. Remember, even with a locked container they still have the "right" to inspect to see if it is loaded. Something we want to prevent.

The purpose is not to protest for open carry, but protest the attitude of the department. To protest against the illegal searches and seizures of every day law abiding gun owners.

How about someone carrying an briefcase filled with bananas with a sign on it stating "No Guns In This Briefcase, just Bananas." ? Think that would elicit an illegal search for non-existant guns in order to do a e-check? :D

7x57
01-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Because waving tea bags around to protest taxes makes sense?

Since you made the analogy, the Tea Party experience may be instructive. The protests accomplished something worthwhile by beginning the process of scaring rank-and-file Democrats (and not a small number of Republicans :D) in conservative districts, and that may have delayed health care long enough for the Massachusetts election to (probably) sink it for good. But that only worked because the numbers implied ballot box consequences, and frankly was of limited value. However, what they did do was create a critical mass of people who exchanged contact information and linked up through twitter, facebook, and the like, and also energized and enraged them to the point of planning to stay active for the foreseeable future. Now they say they're done with the Soap Box and are using the contacts made during their long summer of discontent to build political organizations. There is a direct line of causality leading from the first spontaneous Tea Parties through NY-23, Virginia, and New Jersey to Tuesday's stunning upset in Massachusetts. The tea bags mattered *because they made them symbolize something by subsequent action.*

My point is that gun rights doesn't have the same dynamic, and most of the people here are by definition already in communication and probably in it for the long haul. So we can't get the same benefits. Can we get other benefits? Maybe. My point is simply that the analogy with the popular rebellion against nationalized health care is of limited use.

7x57

Theseus
01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
How about someone carrying an briefcase filled with bananas with a sign on it stating "No Guns In This Briefcase, just Bananas." ? Think that would elicit an illegal search for non-existant guns in order to do a e-check? :D

I am not sure, but possibly.

nick
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
My point is that gun rights doesn't have the same dynamic, and most of the people here are by definition already in communication and probably in it for the long haul. So we can't get the same benefits. Can we get other benefits? Maybe. My point is simply that the analogy with the popular rebellion against nationalized health care is of limited use.

7x57

I hope that the idea here is to attract the gun owners who are not already in communication. After all, most gun owners are in the closet.

Ideally, it should also bring a broader appeal, such as unlawful searches and seizures, but I don't hold my breath there.

davescz
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
ok, i am reading this it is a long post, but there is supposed to be a protest in San mateo on Jan 23 right?
it is at the Sherriffs Office right? if so what is the address, and start time?

there is so much to read thru here, i just want to make sure i have the date, place and time right.

I think i'd like to make up some signs.

one probelm I see is if it is still raining hard out here. that will dampen things in more ways than one.

some one mentioned the teaparty protesters. there was one in san mateo, April 15 at hillsdale shopping center, on the elcamino real (major shopping district with six lane heavy traveled road)

High visability on a heavy traveled road is important. lots of traffic near by means we can hand out info to passerby folks, and folks can read the signs, specially if near intersections where cars have to stop.
that tea party event was pretty good, lots of oflks saw it, lots of thumbs up form passer bys.

any rate can someone please confirm timeplace and date?

thanks

7x57
01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I hope that the idea here is to attract the gun owners who are not already in communication.

Maybe it can work. I'm not convinced either way, but as long as The Right People don't see a political downside, why not have fun? At worst, Absurdist fun is still fun. :D

After all, most gun owners are in the closet.

And how. I recall pointing out to a knee-jerk (but not conventional) liberal that around half the homes in California have a gun, so we have an enormous body of evidence that the mere presence of guns is not a social problem. He was quite amazed that there were so many.

I'm hoping to get him out shooting--my guess is he'll always be the Burning Man sort, but maybe he can be the kind that believes that hippies have a Right to self defense too. :D

Probably doesn't apply to him personally, but that makes me realize that I've never taken the approach before of asking why in the world hippies would want only the rednecks to have guns, but maybe I should try just working *with* the prejudices. If all gun owners are racist rednecks as leftist dogma avers, wouldn't it be logical to change that by arming the rest? :rofl:

Ideally, it should also bring a broader appeal, such as unlawful searches and seizures, but I don't hold my breath there.

If you did, we'd have to give you oxygen after you collapsed. :rolleyes:

7x57

diginit
01-21-2010, 4:38 PM
I'd like to attend, And I think BOC is pretty funny. But I am kind of worried that the press will make us out to be stupid. No one wants stupid people to carry a gun and it may hurt more than help. Just think of the possible headlines. Or they may just ignore us completely.
On the other hand, 20 or so people outside the police dept. with holstered weapons will certainly draw the press. And possibly force the chief to rethink his threat. We need video cams either way. Some cop may think the mags on my belt are illegal.

diginit
01-21-2010, 4:46 PM
Come on people! 10 guys won't make much of a statement. We need more people.
What kind of signs? Location?

We have the right to defend ourselves!

15 Min. response time? Too Late-You've been dead for 10 min.

Shoot me for bearing arms?

Welcome to the police state!

Cops shouldn't break the law!

2nd ammendment rights CANNOT be infringed!

You think you can dial 911 while being assaulted?

What?

diginit
01-21-2010, 8:38 PM
Hello,Hello,Hello,Hello..... Where did everybody go???????

aplinker
01-21-2010, 9:39 PM
Was going to come....

... but I got hungry.
http://hurryup1.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/banana-peel1.jpg

Cokebottle
01-21-2010, 9:52 PM
Was going to come....

... but I got hungry.
http://hurryup1.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/banana-peel1.jpg
That's fine... you can still UOBC

aplinker
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
That's fine... you can still UOBC

doesn't sound too a-peeling.

pullnshoot25
01-21-2010, 10:43 PM
doesn't sound too a-peeling.

EPIC. LOL.

aplinker
01-21-2010, 10:55 PM
EPIC. LOL.

Just monkeying around. No need to go ape-****, slip-up or split a gut.

I have a bunch more, but I'll stop before the puns drive you bananas.

Theseus
01-22-2010, 8:49 AM
Unless I am mistaken there doesn't seem to be widespread enough support for this event to make it a successful or effective one.

Any ideas from those that planned to or will be attending?

davescz
01-22-2010, 8:59 AM
Unless I am mistaken there doesn't seem to be widespread enough support for this event to make it a successful or effective one.

Any ideas from those that planned to or will be attending?

I cant tell if it is still happening or not, so much negitive stuff about it, and the first post is about selling banana holsters. frankly I wont show up, cause I still cant figure out if it supposed to take place or not. I asked and got no reply.
seems we cant even organize a "get out of a wet paper bag" event

a weekday would be a better day, more exposure at the sherriffs office to the public, downtown is usually dead on weekends. plus we got rain predicted this weekend.

if this is to take place we need a new thread about it, and lock that thread so that we eliminate all the banna jokes

time, place and what to bring are the info that is needed. else this has just fallen apart. sad when we cant get anything together here.

putput
01-22-2010, 9:09 AM
Let’s wait until incorporation and then test the issue by UOC in numbers and across locations so the whole day shift has to respond across the county. A non UOC protest in numbers outside the Sheriff’s office (or better yet, who does the Sherriff answer too? Maybe their office or offices?) that day as well. Maybe add a statewide thing as well. This should be well organized with teams to video and witness and etc as well as friendly media coverage and a very clear message. Follow with lawsuits for 4A and 2A violations. Should probably start funding those now…

Theseus
01-22-2010, 9:28 AM
I cant tell if it is still happening or not, so much negitive stuff about it, and the first post is about selling banana holsters. frankly I wont show up, cause I still cant figure out if it supposed to take place or not. I asked and got no reply.
seems we cant even organize a "get out of a wet paper bag" event

a weekday would be a better day, more exposure at the sherriffs office to the public, downtown is usually dead on weekends. plus we got rain predicted this weekend.

if this is to take place we need a new thread about it, and lock that thread so that we eliminate all the banna jokes

time, place and what to bring are the info that is needed. else this has just fallen apart. sad when we cant get anything together here.

If you look at the title of the thread and the OP you will see the time, date and place. And the OP about the banana holsters was a concept idea and for those that might not already have a pistol holster to put a banana in.

Originally I did only post this as a question of interest and it took off, but not enough to keep flying.

For me it is the lack of substantial numbers combined with the threat of rain. In all my time of living in LA I can't recall a time it has rained so long.

For those that are still willing to go there is nothing stopping you, but I think that we are right now in a position to make is an informal protest function rather than a formal one.

GrizzlyGuy
01-22-2010, 10:26 AM
For those that are still willing to go there is nothing stopping you, but I think that we are right now in a position to make is an informal protest function rather than a formal one.

How about a virtual protest instead of a physical one? For example, everyone could take a picture of themselves with their holstered bananas. I (or someone) could take all the photos and put them into a video (slide show type effects). Add music and narration, put on YouTube, and deliver a copy to the Sheriff on disk, along with a bunch of bananas. Or something like that...

Cokebottle
01-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I think the weather has certainly put a damper on some of the interest.

Also, WRT media exposure, Haiti (and the Clooney telethon) are going to continue to dominate the news for another week or so.

Theseus
01-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I think we can still do this, maybe just not tomorrow.

Cokebottle
01-22-2010, 1:06 PM
I think we can still do this, maybe just not tomorrow.
Agreed.
Once people forget about Haiti (Sumatra went for about a month, maybe a little longer, though now they're reporting every 3.x aftershock as a 7.5), it'll be open season.
Sadly, the SO's memo will also be old news, so it'll take a bit of work to bring it back to the surface.

putput
01-22-2010, 1:07 PM
Why stop there? Why not UOC with arms and not bananas and take a picture of it? Preferably somewhere in San Meteo County. Landmarks but no faces?

How about a virtual protest instead of a physical one? For example, everyone could take a picture of themselves with their holstered bananas. I (or someone) could take all the photos and put them into a video (slide show type effects). Add music and narration, put on YouTube, and deliver a copy to the Sheriff on disk, along with a bunch of bananas. Or something like that...

keneva
01-22-2010, 4:56 PM
Bummer, my wife, a friend and I were planning on going. If it can still happen, we will be there but I need to know soon enough to get there. I have about a 2 hr. drive.d

TheBundo
01-24-2010, 3:04 AM
I BCC'ed (Banana Concealed Carry) Saturday, and no problem from the police. Of cource, I BCC every day

diginit
01-24-2010, 1:31 PM
I BCC'ed (Banana Concealed Carry) Saturday, and no problem from the police. Of cource, I BCC every day

Cool, Keep your banana concieled or you could be arrested for indecent exposure.

davescz
01-25-2010, 1:11 PM
I think a sunny week day at the county head quarters in redwood city would work. carry american flags, and signs about 2nd Admendment. have some one dress up like george washington or something. have flyers to hand out to passerby folks about our rights.

if on weekend, I dont suggest the the county center, as it is a in an office district, dead on weekends, no exposure. on weekends, try major street like el camino real. also be sure to mention in flyers and hand outs how california gun laws were based on racial disgrimination back years ago, and how gun ownership reduces crime, cite statistics form FBI and such, make it very informational on a basic every day person level. Inform how gun control increases crime, and how owning a gun makes you safer.

we should have gun rights informational protests in each california county every week until freedom is restored. this woud be effective and with good info, and orderly protesters, we can make a great impression.

kalguns
01-25-2010, 1:32 PM
:rofl2::rofl2:Why not stuff one of these in your holster?

dantodd
01-25-2010, 2:16 PM
have some one dress up like george washington or something.

We should have someone dress up like Glenn Beck and then have a "camera crew" that should get some attention...

If only we knew someone who looked like Glenn Beck.....

GrizzlyGuy
01-25-2010, 2:24 PM
We should have someone dress up like Glenn Beck and then have a "camera crew" that should get some attention...

If only we knew someone who looked like Glenn Beck.....

Great idea! Now if we only knew someone who resembles Glenn Beck....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:K1MCq3qzX90NlM:http://radiopatriot.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/glenn-beck2.jpg

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/image.php?u=7151&dateline=1260942075

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:EnQw331FDrpQVM:http://radicalrecruit.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/glenn_beck.jpg

:innocent: :whistling:

jdberger
01-25-2010, 2:50 PM
I'm in.

Plantains ok?

audiophil2
02-07-2010, 7:39 AM
I think the banana carry is a childish way to promote the agenda. A copy of the Constitution or BoR in the holster has been done in other states and makes it look more professional.