PDA

View Full Version : how to help neighbor widow sell guns

dean-o
01-15-2010, 8:29 PM
Last Sat my neighbor took his own life . His wife has asked me to sell off his guns. All his guns have been purchase over the last 3 years and all are registered in his name. Can she sign the DROS papers? Is there addtional paper work involved ?

Dean

Plinkin
01-15-2010, 8:35 PM
sorry to hear about that. prayers to his family

El Gato
01-15-2010, 8:41 PM
Last Sat my neighbor took his own life . His wife has asked me to sell off his guns. All his guns have been purchase over the last 3 years and all are registered in his name. Can she sign the DROS papers? Is there addtional paper work involved ?

Dean

Sad...
she needs an HONEST person to assess and help... thanks for helping... I've seen too many of these situations where the widow gets ripped off...

I'd take it to a gun store that does consignments and have her put them on consignment ... the store gets a percentage and prices it appropriately... I hear good things about ...is it ... Ade's in Orange...

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/gun-friendly-businesses/1731-ades-orange-little-shop-could.html

The store will handle all of the paperwork.. no sweat...they will know exactly what to do... you can be sure this isn't their first rodeo...

five.five-six
01-15-2010, 8:43 PM
first off, tell her not to worry about it, you'll handle everything

so sad to hear

there may be a better way, but you could have her ppt them all to you and give her the money as you sell them...

did they have any kids?

five.five-six
01-15-2010, 8:44 PM
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/gun-friendly-businesses/1731-ades-orange-little-shop-could.html

The store will handle all of the paperwork.. no sweat...they will know exactly what to do... you can be sure this isn't their first rodeo...

+1 for ades

SteveH
01-15-2010, 9:21 PM
On Target in Laguna Niguel has handled some collections following deaths.

No family members to inherit them?

forgiven
01-15-2010, 9:49 PM
My prayers are with them. RIP.

daves100
01-15-2010, 10:05 PM
sad news,

I would post them here for sale, Maybe she will come out ahead, without paying a fee to the gun shop..

K5Cruiser
01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
She can do the PPT with any potential buyers. Put up a for sale ad here in the classifieds section. She'll probably get more money for them here, as opposed to on consignment.

G-Man WC
01-15-2010, 10:24 PM
She can do the PPT with any potential buyers. Put up a for sale ad here in the classifieds section. She'll probably get more money for them here, as opposed to on consignment.

Agreed
She would be better off here and they would be going to a good and loving CalGuns home.
Sorry the family had to endure this.
-g

the_natterjack
01-16-2010, 9:20 AM
Unless she needs the money to eat right now, please advise her to slow down so she can get paid what they are worth and not pennies on the dollar.

She has a lot more to deal with then selling off a few guns.

Brian

dean-o
01-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks to those who responded.
Since he used his Glock 40 to do the deed she just wants all of them gone, plus she will need the money. Don't think his insurance will pay out now.

Will post on Cal Guns when she is ready.

Dean

Lyte-
01-16-2010, 10:17 AM
unless it had a sucide clause they have to pay.

Sorry for her loss.

GJC
01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
I am currently going through the same thing now. Friend took His own life :( left behind Wife and two young boys. Been selling or acually overseeing the sales. Acually am buying most for myself just to get Her the money. Been going through the DROS at DGM in Santee. Pm me with any Questions. Have learned alot.

Ford8N
01-16-2010, 1:00 PM
Thanks to those who responded.
Since he used his Glock 40 to do the deed she just wants all of them gone, plus she will need the money. Don't think his insurance will pay out now.

Will post on Cal Guns when she is ready.

Dean

Be aware, on CalGuns there are a lot of low ballers and tire kickers. They usually have no or low post counts. So set your price and hold out for a serious buyer.

pullnshoot25
01-16-2010, 2:22 PM
My heart goes out for her loss.

I would list the guns on here to sell, they will go to loving homes. You can actually do the DROS and whatnot for them if she doesn't want to do it. The DROS form just says it needs the SELLER's signature, not the OWNERS.

AndrewMendez
01-16-2010, 2:47 PM
Dean-O, my heart goes out to the family, you confirmed what I feared the most in post #12. Let us know if there is a car wash/dinner/fundraiser that we can help out with. I think your best bet is to sell them on here. Good Luck.

Corbin Dallas
01-16-2010, 3:47 PM

Dean

Dean,

Please send our condolences to the family for their loss.

As many others have said, gunshops will pay about 50% of actual value. If they know she just wants them out, they will pay less.

Here's a though, tell her you are willing to facilitate the sale of all the weapons, and that you would be willing to store them until they are all sold.

Also, I believe (not positive) that you can have her sign over power of attorney for the specific use of firearm sales. Something like what a family trust would do.

Since it's pretty likely they did not have a suicide clause, the family will need every dollar. True there are a LOT of tirekickers here but there are a lot of giving people here as well.

However it works out, I sincerely hope the family is able to cope with the loss.

HowardW56
01-16-2010, 6:41 PM

Absolutely...

CSACANNONEER
01-16-2010, 6:57 PM
Be aware, on CalGuns there are a lot of low ballers and tire kickers. They usually have no or low post counts. So set your price and hold out for a serious buyer.

Hell, some of us lowballers have high post counts. OK, I only lowball if I'm sort of interested in something or think it is very overpriced.

radioman
01-16-2010, 9:11 PM
One thing you can do, if you have the money. take to a gun shop and see what they will pay, then buy them for that, that gets then out of her house ( that's what my wife would want ) and put money in her pocket now, then sell them here so you can get your money back, and, put more money in her pocket as you sell them off.

Corbin Dallas
01-16-2010, 10:36 PM
One thing you can do, if you have the money. take to a gun shop and see what they will pay, then buy them for that, that gets then out of her house ( that's what my wife would want ) and put money in her pocket now, then sell them here so you can get your money back, and, put more money in her pocket as you sell them off.

Unless the OP has his own FFL what you are telling him to do is illegal by federal law.

I realize what your intentions are but unfortunately it's against the law.

pingpong
01-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Unless the OP has his own FFL what you are telling him to do is illegal by federal law.

Not if he DROS's them all as part of a PPT.

CSACANNONEER
01-18-2010, 8:49 AM

Why would it be against the law? I know of no federal or state law that would prohibit this as long as the transaction is done legally.

RedFord150
01-18-2010, 10:28 AM
...Since he used his Glock 40 to do the deed ...Don't think his insurance will pay out now...

You are making reference to his Life Insurance Policy not paying because the policy might contain a 'Suicide Clause'.
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. This is simply what I would tell anyone in this situation.
I believe (not fact) that some states limit the ability of insurance companies to deny claims based on suicide. I also believe that I read or heard that a 'Suicide Clause' is only valid for 2 years after the policy is issued. If the death happens more than 2 years after issue date, the claim will be paid absent any other valid reasons for non-payment. I am not clear what states or circumstances this limit applies to.
Please refer the widow to an attorney qualified to handle these matters for her. She needs accurate legal advice.
You are a good man for putting yourself out there to help her. Getting top value for guns, or anything else of value, takes time and knowledge. The family members left behind are often short on both.
Please accept my prayers for the family.

ChuckBooty
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
My heart goes out for her loss.

I would list the guns on here to sell, they will go to loving homes. You can actually do the DROS and whatnot for them if she doesn't want to do it. The DROS form just says it needs the SELLER's signature, not the OWNERS.

QFT! This is a great point! You should just take possession of the firearms (not longer than 30 days), list them and sell them here.

Corbin Dallas
01-18-2010, 2:57 PM
Not if he DROS's them all as part of a PPT.

Some people in the DOJ might consider this "Buying with the intent of resale".

Which you would need a FFL for (NOTICE I SAID "INTENT")