PDA

View Full Version : Best 8 shot mag ext. 870

lazyman
12-24-2005, 12:59 AM
what's the best one out there? I looked at choate and they said I had to do some drilling to get it on. any other ones out there particularly parkarized?

Stanze
12-24-2005, 1:22 PM
Get the Choate, I had one on a 870 I owned, it worked great!

The drilling they speak of is on the actual 870 magazine, there is a "nub" by the threads that prevents any rounds from going past it. Why is that obstruction there? I guessing, extended magazines are frowned upon by Remington.:p

So, manufacturer of extended 870 mag is moot. As far as the parkerized finished, I don't know...maybe Scattergun Technologies offers parkerized ex. mag.?

EDIT: Here ya go: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_mag_extensions.asp Aren't I great?:D

No_Brakes23
01-10-2006, 9:13 AM
I bought the parkerized Choate 3 shot extention from MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=994255) a few months ago, and after Dremeling the nubs, I installed it. The follower was a little snug, but I didn't think much about it. I put over 120 rounds of Birdshot, Buckshot, and Slugs though it, and it worked fine. Then I took it to Fish Canyon to test fire it at 100 yards, (I have a 20" barrel with rifled choke.) It got an awesome group with Federal Hydra-Shok sabot slugs.

I encountered two problems. First off, the barrel/ext clamp is crap. The bolt is too short, so it stripped out when I tried to tighten it. When I got done shooting, it was gone. I later found it about 5-10 feet in front of the firing area. The other problem is the follower. It is so snug that the last round out of the tube hesitates, and seems to jam. (If I wait a second, it pops out.)

The follower I can replace or fix, but I am unsure what to do about the crummy clamp.

what's the best one out there? I looked at choate and they said I had to do some drilling to get it on. any other ones out there particularly parkarized?

I should also note that the Choate finish matches my 870 ExSuMag perfectly, and the 3 shot extention is flush with the 20" barrel.

If you don't need 3 shots, go with the Wilson 2 shot.