PDA

View Full Version : Why did S&W discontinue the series?

xxsleepyxx
01-15-2010, 11:10 AM
You know the one I'm talking about. The 1006, 5906, 4506, ect. What was wrong with those guns? Was it outdated (doubt it)? too heavy? weak in performance?

They defininetly were good looking though..

buffybuster
01-15-2010, 11:17 AM
You know the one I'm talking about. The 1006, 5906, 4506, ect. What was wrong with those guns? Was it outdated (doubt it)? too heavy? weak in performance?

GLOCK.

When Glock entered the market and started receiving the lion's share of the LE contracts, that was the end of S&W metal frame pistols. S&W's LE contracts started to dry up, so they got on the polymer bangwagon with the Sigma and M&P series. Injection molding frames is a good deal cheaper than forging and machining steel and aluminum.

xxsleepyxx
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Things brings up another thought. The manufacturing of revolvers (metalwork) should cost a lot more than molding polymers shouldn't they? The cost of revolvers actually seems more like a bargain when juxtaposed with similar priced, sized firearms.

hybridatsun350
01-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Was it outdated? Yes.
Too heavy? Yes.
Weak in performance? Yes.

In red. ;)

dchang0
01-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Things brings up another thought. The manufacturing of revolvers (metalwork) should cost a lot more than molding polymers shouldn't they? The cost of revolvers actually seems more like a bargain when juxtaposed with similar priced, sized firearms.

Fewer and simpler parts along with overall simpler design make it much easier to manufacture revolvers than semi-auto pistols. And it doesn't hurt that the revolver makers have long ago paid for the machines and tools for their revolvers, whereas their semi-auto lines recently required capital investments that they are trying to recoup.

buffybuster
01-15-2010, 12:21 PM

S&W was and remains the leader in the revolver market. There really isn't any serious competition for them in the revolver market, worldwide. It isn't so much that revolvers are bargain priced as the polymer pistols are so OVERPRICED. A Glock costs ~$80 to manufacture. They sell them in LE contracts for ~$2-300. They sell them to the retail market at ~$550.

El Gato
01-15-2010, 12:45 PM

weight...
trigger pulls....
too many parts....
stinky ergonomics...checked out an M&P lately?
costly to build... too much machining...

xxsleepyxx
01-15-2010, 1:01 PM
weight...
trigger pulls....
too many parts....
stinky ergonomics...checked out an M&P lately?
costly to build... too much machining...

but so damn good looking tho. BEEFY

maddoggie13
01-15-2010, 1:05 PM
Way too heavy for day-to-day carrying...I have the 5906. But, goes great was my Marlin Camp 9 that uses the same magazine.