PDA

View Full Version : Which states allow you to have AR-15's?

CTT2
12-23-2005, 8:15 PM
Cause I am gonna move there when I leave the military. I get no educational benefits from California for being a veteran. And the GI bill with the kicker puts me up to $42,000 still is not enough to pay to go to a University like U.C. Berkley. California is ****ing me royally, since I've been out of the country for 6 years. Hell I can even own a AR-15 at my home out in town in Japan, just a lot of paper work that I have to do. I wish I had a Status of Forces Agreement in California. Actually the truth is if you are not a California resident but are stationed in California you can have a "Assualt Weapon" at your residence just got to register it and renew it every year.

wayoutwest
12-23-2005, 8:18 PM
It is easier to list the states that dont allow you to own one.

CALIFORNIA

heuer5
12-23-2005, 8:33 PM
My best friend just moved his wife, daughter, and new born baby girl to Plano (sp?) Texas. My other buudy just left the Marine Corp and is moving to Montanna. My best friend's little sister loves Washington State.

Arizona and Neveda also seem popular.

AR's are legal in all these states.

Tyler
12-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Oregon is also pro gun, and i plan to move there once i am out of school.

bu-bye
12-23-2005, 11:36 PM
I want to move to Montana. Get a nice big house on a lot of land where I can shot right out my back door. A place like that would be less then half of what a 1500sq ft home with no yard would cost here in Santa Cruz. Get my CCW and turn one room into a big safe for all the AR's, AK's, FAL's, MP5's I'll be getting :D

PanzerAce
12-23-2005, 11:42 PM
I want to move to Montana. Get a nice big house on a lot of land where I can shot right out my back door. A place like that would be less then half of what a 1500sq ft home with no yard would cost here in Santa Cruz. Get my CCW and turn one room into a big safe for all the AR's, AK's, FAL's, MP5's I'll be getting :D

+1. I figure move somewhere like Jackson Hole, Wyo. Great skiing, great gun laws (ie. none)

Pablo
12-24-2005, 12:08 AM
My best friend just moved his wife, daughter, and new born baby girl to Plano (sp?) Texas. My other buudy just left the Marine Corp and is moving to Montanna. My best friend's little sister loves Washington State.

Arizona and Neveda also seem popular.

AR's are legal in all these states.

...and CCW, and silencers, and tracer ammunition, and machine guns, and SBR... Well, you guys get the idea... right?:D

PatrickM.
12-24-2005, 12:42 AM
i will second the state of Washington!!!!!

i live there right now and i can have anything i want..... also there are lots of jobs in the defense industry (i.e. Boeing and Lockheed Martin)

cool places to live in washington (that i have been to) would be cities like Vancouver, Spokane (they got lots of gun stores), the Tri-Cities (pasco, kennwick, and Richland)

you might also like Lewiston, Idaho and Clarkston, Washington (they are right next to each other in the southeastern corner of the state.

With your military training, a police department in any of those cities would love to hire you.

and on top of all of that, each one of those cities i stated above have 4 year universities in them like Washington State University, University of Washington, Eastern Washington University, and Lewis and Clark State College.

i am attending Washington State University right now and it is pretty cheap compared to the UC system (about 14,000 dollars a year) after the first year, when you become a resident of the state of washington, you tuition goes down to about $5K for tuition.

last but not least, you can own what ever gun (AR15, pistols, etc...) you want. there is no waiting period for long guns but a 5 day wating period for pistols....

I hope this info helps.....i could you some more shooting buddies at WSU!!!!

Patrick M.

Charliegone
12-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah Washington seems nice, but what sucks is you can't buy "machine gun" parts. So in other words, no parts kit if your into building..other than that everything else is great! My friend.. TEXAS... specifically Houston..

Charliegone
12-24-2005, 3:20 PM
Actually, the NJ AW is much more restrictive than ours! Check their laws. They can't have ANY clone of any ar or ar or fal etc etc.

Mike Searson
12-24-2005, 4:02 PM
Speaking of jobs: As much as we complain about California in general and the bay area specifically, in particular about the extremely high cost of living, they have advantage of having lots of jobs at very high pay available. If you know a lot about computers, you can get a job with a 6-digit salary in the bay area - at which point the 3/4 million house price is much less of a problem. Like bu-bye said, you can get a nicer house for much less money in Wyoming, but finding the job with the 6-digit salary there is much harder. So, unless you are living on a location-independent income (retired or independently wealthy for example), it is probably a good idea to fid an economy with interesting and well-paying jobs first, then determine the tradeoffs against cost-of-living and other quality-of-live factors (like whether buying ARs is easy and cheap, or hard and expensive).

I took my Bay Area Salary to Nevada with me...transferred with the company...actually got a raise as no State Income tax is collected here.

dwtt
12-24-2005, 4:24 PM
I took my Bay Area Salary to Nevada with me...transferred with the company...actually got a raise as no State Income tax is collected here.
I tried to do this with my job since they have a large operation in north Las Vegas, but it didn't work out for me and I had to stay in the Bay area. Because of the work I do and the length of time I have been out of the semiconductor industry, my dream of moving to Oregon is about dead since companies like Intel aren't interested and one of my employers, Lockheed Martin, doesn't have much in Oregon. If I get a job in Oregon that pays about half of what I make now, which is less than a 6-figure number, I'll move since the cost of housing and cost of living is much less in Oregon.

MicronuT
12-25-2005, 2:25 PM
anywhere out of this communist country (prk) and into the "UNIted sTATEs"

Left Coast DJ
12-25-2005, 8:58 PM
Isn't choosing a State based on its gun laws like buying a car for its cup-holder?

Quality of life, job market, good education for your kids, being able to buy a good cup of coffee at the neighborhood coffee shop, etc. ? I put all of that ahead of gun ownership.

I live in California becuase I dig it here... and damn proud of it!

DJ

Mike Searson
12-26-2005, 9:34 AM
Isn't choosing a State based on its gun laws like buying a car for its cup-holder?

No. But with some of the drivel I've heard from so-called california gunowners the past 2-3 weeks I'm not surprised.

Quality of life, job market, good education for your kids, being able to buy a good cup of coffee at the neighborhood coffee shop, etc. ?

Coffee is coffee...that's like buying a car for the drink holder. California's job market is tanking, the school system is a joke, and if you think the quality of life is all that good, more power to you!

I put all of that ahead of gun ownership.

Some of us put gun ownership ahead of the stuff you think is important. I'm sure to you it's just a hobby, anyway.
Stay in Califonia and be happy.

Pulsar
12-26-2005, 10:58 AM

Quality of life, job market, good education for your kids, being able to buy a good cup of coffee at the neighborhood coffee shop, etc. ? I put all of that ahead of gun ownership.

I live in California becuase I dig it here... and damn proud of it!

DJ

Sort of, but if your like me and you want to be agunsith, it's right at the top of the list.

And treelogger, how much lower are gas prices in oregon right now, usually I find they are about $0.75 lower than california, with the added benefit of an attendant to fill your car for you (oregon law says no self serve). That and no sales tax in the state makes it a rather nice place to live.

dwtt
12-26-2005, 7:15 PM

DJ
These are very good reasons to decide where to live, that's why I'm puzzled by all the people who choose to stay in CA but have an opportunity to leave. Leaving CA would restore your second amendment rights, provide better schools for your children, lower the income and property taxes you pay, live without perpetual smog, travel uncongested roadways without bad drivers, and very likely can save enough for a comfortable retirement on a fraction of the income required in the bay area. The biggest benefit of leaving CA, in my opinion, is escaping a government screwed up by extremist liberals who want to regulate and control our lives whenever and where ever they can. I don't have the luxury of leaving because of the nature of what I do, there aren't many job openings other than Las Vegas and Los Alamos.