PDA

View Full Version : What if I bought my .50 cal in another state in 2000

CTT2
12-23-2005, 7:51 PM
Can i still register it? What do they need proof that I did buy it in 2000? Is a reciept good enough?

dwtt
12-23-2005, 8:37 PM
If you brought the .50 cal rifle into CA before Jan 1, 2005, you're safe. Just register it, you don't need a sales receipt. If the DOJ wanted to know when you bought it, they can find out by tracing the serial number.

CTT2
12-23-2005, 8:57 PM
When you buy .50 its not tracked just like any other rifle? I guess they can find the date of manufatured that's about it from the serial and when it was sold from the factory to the shop.

gidddy169
12-23-2005, 9:18 PM
My question is when you buy a rifle such as the 50bmg was the dealer required to put the serial number on the 4473 form like handguns or is that optional? Is there no record of the rifle and serial number to you?

CTT2
12-23-2005, 9:28 PM
So the only way I can prove that I had it on hand will be the date on the reciept.

thisismyboomstick
12-24-2005, 11:56 AM
My question is when you buy a rifle such as the 50bmg was the dealer required to put the serial number on the 4473 form like handguns or is that optional? Is there no record of the rifle and serial number to you?

ALL firearms have their serial numbers recorded on the 4473. Any firearm can be traced to the original purchaser by ATF that was sold after the 4473 was put into use. (1968 I believe) This is assuming that the dealer's record's didn't get lost/destroyed somehow. Supposedly the ATF must have a good reason to do this though. Like a request from a PD for a firearm used in a crime.

dwtt
12-24-2005, 4:41 PM
So the only way I can prove that I had it on hand will be the date on the reciept.
I registered my .50 cal last month and I just wrote in the date that I bought the rifle and the DOJ accepted it. If the DOJ really wanted to know if I had bought the rifle before Jan 1, 2005, they get the ATF to help them trace the gun. ATF will contact the mfg with a serial number and model, the mfg will tell them when and to whom they sent the rifle to. ATF then calls my FFL in San Jose who will tell them who bought it (me) and when. If you are not the original purchaser of the rifle, the ATF will find the first owner and ask them who he sold the rifle to, and he will tell them, because he will be contacted by a special agent, who can put people in jail for obstruction. The ATF will follow the trail until it gets to you. Don't ask me how I know it works like this, but trust me that if the DOJ wanted to know if you bought the rifle before Jan 1, 2005, they can verify it without you producing a receipt.

artherd
12-26-2005, 6:24 PM
You simply must have had the rifle in your posession generally within the state of California and be a Resident of California since 1/1/2005. (Range trips to NV are OK, you can even leave it in your cabin in NV for a month when you come back to CA. The key issue is purchase & Lawfully Posess prior to 1/1/2005, and be a CA resident.)

With the above in mind, you should be good to go.

Also, why register at all untill March/2006 deadline? There's still a (very infintesimaly small) slight chance this could get repealed. I will be holding up untill about 2-3weeks before the deadline.