PDA

View Full Version : Questions about California ID card

Table Rock Arms
01-15-2010, 8:50 AM
1. If I spend half my time in Oregon, and half my time in California, can I get a California ID card without turning in my Oregon DL?

2. If we can ever get CCW in CA, would not having a CA DL be a problem?

Ryan

xLusi0n
01-15-2010, 10:45 AM
You can get ID cards withut turning in DL. But you're supposed to turn in DLs to get DLs.

MasterYong
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
CA doesn't recognize dual residency. ( I just went through this myself )

The feds do, but CA doesn't. If you spend half your time in OR, and half your time in CA, each time you go back and forth you're "moving" per CA.

Also, in CA, to get an ID card, you have to forfeit your DL if the DL is for another state. That's per the CADMV, I can't cite code or anything.

Blue
01-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Also, in CA, to get an ID card, you have to forfeit your DL if the DL is for another state. That's per the CADMV, I can't cite code or anything.

What if you "lost it in the move"? :D

MasterYong
01-15-2010, 11:36 AM
What if you "lost it in the move"? :D

Then you're "committing perjury"

LOL

:D

dustoff31
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM

That's OK, they can't either. Ask them how you are supposed to drive a car with only an ID card?

They didn't take my AZ DL when I got a CA ID.

MasterYong
01-15-2010, 2:19 PM
That's OK, they can't either. Ask them how you are supposed to drive a car with only an ID card?

They didn't take my AZ DL when I got a CA ID.

They don't expect you to drive a car with only an ID card (though I'd imagine it's not hard to do LOL) they expect you to instead get a CDL.

Did you show them your AZ DL when you got your CDL? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that they'd have taken it if you did (or asked to take it at the very least). The AZDOT and CADMV computers aren't connected so they wouldn't know if you had an AZ DL unless you showed them/told them.

dustoff31
01-15-2010, 2:26 PM
They don't expect you to drive a car with only an ID card (though I'd imagine it's not hard to do LOL) they expect you to instead get a CDL.

Did you show them your AZ DL when you got your CDL? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that they'd have taken it if you did (or asked to take it at the very least). The AZDOT and CADMV computers aren't connected so they wouldn't know if you had an AZ DL unless you showed them/told them.

I didn't get a CA DL, I got a CA ID card.

AZ did take my CA DL when I got an AZ DL. (Actually, they punched a hole in it and gave it back to me.)

But no, I didn't show them anything they didn't ask to see, or provide answers to any questions they didn't ask.

MasterYong
01-15-2010, 2:46 PM
But no, I didn't show them anything they didn't ask to see, or provide answers to any questions they didn't ask.

That attitude proves to be valuable in almost every situation. :D

SteveH
01-15-2010, 6:09 PM
I don't know how it applies to your situation but I have seen California ID cards with out of state addresses on them before. Usually californians attending college out of state. Listing the dorm address or frat house on the Cal ID.