PDA

View Full Version : Advice on teaching minors to shoot responsibly

savageevo
01-15-2010, 7:01 AM
I will be taking a friend out to go shooting this weekend. My friend will be bring his 13 year old son. Since my friend has responsibility to his son learning I don't have to worry about the son. The problem is the son wants to bring along a friend. Do I need a permission slip from the sons friend giving me permission to teach him to shoot. I don't want to get in trouble haveing the parents of the sons friend saying I am putting the minor in harms way. thanks all

rod
01-15-2010, 7:35 AM
Legally, I would think no permission slip is needed. It would be a good idea to let the kid's parents know that you'll be shooting and make sure they're OK with it.

joelberg
01-15-2010, 7:44 AM
I agree. A permission slip wouldn't hurt though, although it may be a slight pain to write up.

paul0660
01-15-2010, 7:50 AM
pc 12078:

(p) (1) Paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) and subdivision (d) of
Section 12072 shall not apply to the loan of a firearm that is not a
handgun to a minor, with the express permission of the parent or
legal guardian of the minor, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in
duration and is for a lawful purpose.
(2) Paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) of Section 12072, subdivision
(d) of Section 12072, and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 shall not
apply to the loan of a handgun to a minor by a person who is not the
parent or legal guardian of the minor if all of the following
circumstances exist:
(A) The minor has the written consent of his or her parent or
legal guardian that is presented at the time of, or prior to the time
of, the loan, or is accompanied by his or her parent or legal
guardian at the time the loan is made.
(B) The minor is being loaned the firearm for the purpose of
engaging in a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited
to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting
activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or
entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the
use of a firearm.
(C) The duration of the loan does not exceed the amount of time
that is reasonably necessary to engage in the lawful, recreational
sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or
agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture,
television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical
event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(D) The duration of the loan does not, in any event, exceed 10
days.

Get a note. And keep an eye on both kids. Gun safety is everybody's responsibility.

DJBSR
01-15-2010, 7:57 AM
Communication canít hurt this may sound a little strange and off topic but when my son was little one of his buddies mom was an RN and anytime I would take the two of them fishing, camping, shooting etc. she would give me a permission to treat note (medically) as she worked in the local hospital she saw numerous kids come in the ER that had to wait for permission before being treated. I would always tell her I hope like heck I donít need this. Anyway my hats off to you for getting more young kids into shooting. Just ENFORCE SAFETY.

not-fishing
01-15-2010, 8:01 AM
One of my son's friends asked if he could go pheasant hunting with us. I set up a meeting with his mother and father and mother for a talk.
The boy has the obligation of getting his hunting license.

I've taken the boy trap shooting because he hasn't shot a shotgun before. He used my child's 870 20 gage and really couldn't handle a bigger gun. Once he has his hunting license I'll probably take him hunting around twice this year.

I didn't get a permission slip but I did get a handshake - and I watch the boy like a hawk.

I think most of the trouble with teaching others to shoot is people get lazy and don't behave like a "Range Officer".

Then again I like tough Crotchety Range Officers because it cuts down on the idiot factor.

paul0660
01-15-2010, 8:17 AM
That pc I posted says that signed permission is necessary for handguns, not longguns, so a handshake was fine for a SG.

savageevo
01-15-2010, 9:48 AM
thanks all. Its good to get the younger generation into learning how to use firearms and all the safety requirements involved. My kids are taught on the safety and respect of such responsibility and is part if my life when it comes down to being around firearms. Now my kids doesn't freak out when they see anything that has anything involved about firearms. You have kids that just do not understand what firearms are about and only exposed of the bad part of them, (video games, news reports, gang banger affiliation). So I am doing my part to try to educate the younger generation so they do not grow up anti 2nd or democratic, (just kidding :D).