PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 lower blueprints in Autocad?

pullnshoot25
01-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Does anyone have any AR-15 lower blueprints in Autocad? I have an idea that I am working on and these blueprints would go a long way in helping me out...

cdtx2001
01-15-2010, 4:51 AM
Does anyone have any AR-15 lower blueprints in Autocad? I have an idea that I am working on and these blueprints would go a long way in helping me out...

I think I have an AR lower blueprint. If I can find where I put it, I'll see if it's what you need.

pullnshoot25
01-15-2010, 9:15 AM
Basically, I need an Autocad drawing of the receiver so I can modify it to make a non-receiver out of acrylic.

djleisure
01-15-2010, 9:33 AM
Check out this site - it probably has what you need.

http://biggerhammer.net/ar15/cad/

ElvenSoul
01-15-2010, 9:38 AM
Two years ago I stumbled on a site about a guy who was making lowers out of plastics in his garage. He had all kinds of blueprints and stuff. Just keep trying google.

bplvr
01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Look in the back of your CalGuns "OLL Law Book",pages 194 +
The AR and AK prints are there.

If you just want to make a fake dupe ,why not just plaster cast an overmold of a lower?

sleepur606
01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
CNCGuns.com has blueprints and solid models that you should be able to use in AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or any other CAD type program.

He also makes a pretty nice AR45 lower for anyone interested.

pullnshoot25
01-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Found those sites right after posting :)

Bplvr, I can't do an overcast because I need to be able to use a real upper on this project. The goal is to be able to bring this thing onto campus so I can do safety demonstrations and have a prop for when we have Library Walk exhibits.

bplvr
01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Found those sites right after posting :)

Bplvr, I can't do an overcast because I need to be able to use a real upper on this project. The goal is to be able to bring this thing onto campus so I can do safety demonstrations and have a prop for when we have Library Walk exhibits.

After you get the overcast done you put the 2 halves together and just fill it with phenolic or epoxy. The just drill your front and rear .250 mounting holes.

pullnshoot25
01-15-2010, 5:27 PM
After you get the overcast done you put the 2 halves together and just fill it with phenolic or epoxy. The just drill your front and rear .250 mounting holes.

Excellent idea. Where do I go for this?

Mitch
01-16-2010, 6:23 AM
We make SLA and SLS prototypes all the time from solid models (SolidWorks will convert an IGES file to an STL file which is used by the service bureau). We use a company in San Diego County called Forecast:

Forecast 3D / Directed MFG
2221 Rutherford Road, Carlsbad, CA 92008
Phone: 714/546.1133 - Fax: 760/929.9357
Web: www.Forecast3D.com
Email: Brian@Forecast3D.com

We just e-mail them the STL file and they can make the prototype within a day or so. We prototype everything this way. For example, we made this prototype Picatinny rail last week:

http://www.mesatactical.com/images/213.jpg

The cost is based on the volume of material. I'm guessing an AR-15 lower would cost about $200-$300.

The SLA material is fairly brittle, but depending on how carefully you handle it it could serve your purposes. SLS process is stronger, but more expensive.

For threaded parts of the model, such as the receiver extension and grip, you would make the hole undersized in the model and simply tap the threads (if you want to get fancy with Solidworks, you can actually model the threads into the part; this really works and we do it all the time). As long as you aren't taking the grip and stock on and off all the time, the threads should hold for a long time.

My only caveat about this process is that while the part is basically plastic, who's to say it's not actually a firearm? It would accept a magazine and an upper and a stock and a grip, just like a real lower. Forecast cannot legally produce and sell you a firearm because they are not an FFL.

In the past I worked on a project where I had a service bureau make a model of a lower receiver for me, but I was careful to have them produce an "80%" version of the receiver, and I did the final machining on the plastic myself.

So be careful. It might be prudent to get some advice from Calguns lawyers or other firearms attorneys with regard to whether a plastic model can be considered a firearm or not. If it can be considered a firearm, you wouldn't be able to bring it onto campus anyway.

cdtx2001
01-16-2010, 6:31 AM
So be careful. It might be prudent to get some advice from Calguns lawyers or other firearms attorneys with regard to whether a plastic model can be considered a firearm or not. If it can be considered a firearm, you wouldn't be able to bring it onto campus anyway.

Also, paint it orange. Then, talk to campus security to let them know you are bringing an item which cannot in any way be made to fire evilness from it.

I seem to recall Brownells having full size plastic training guns, one of which being an AR15. They were painted blue all over.

Mitch
01-16-2010, 6:38 AM
I seem to recall Brownells having full size plastic training guns, one of which being an AR15. They were painted blue all over.

Blue Guns: http://www.blueguns.com/

These are solid plastic training weapons. Because they are solid, I don't think they will serve Pullnshoot's purposes.

But aside from the color, they look pretty real. I flew with a few to a trade show in New Jersey and the TSA guys went crazy over them. One of them asked me whether they were loaded. After that we just took real guns with us on airplanes. It's easier.

foxtrotuniformlima
01-16-2010, 7:12 AM
Would an 80 % lower work ? Drill the PG, takedown and pivot pin holes and you should be GTG.

pullnshoot25
01-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Would an 80 % lower work ? Drill the PG, takedown and pivot pin holes and you should be GTG.

Yes, it would work perfectly. I am going to call JD Lowers and get a scrap lower.