PDA

View Full Version : Ran into a Sheriff to day asked ? about ca legal guns

rcpilot_971
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I ran into a placer county sheriff today while I was at work my co worker new this guy so he stoped to talk to him. I asked him if he ever came across any ca legal AR type guns he said he has not ran into anyone with one. and then tells me AR-15 type guns are ilegal in ca. so I say what about the ca legal AR-15 he says some were grandfatherd in a while back. I say no Im talking about the ones you can buy right now at the gun stores. he did not know anything about what I was talking about. so I said if you seen someone with an AR type gun would you just take it. he said probably. No AR guns are legal in ca

Tim

DedEye
01-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Should have told him to join Calguns.

Still, if he thinks that the guns that are available for sale in stores in California are illegal, despite the fact that they've been available in those stores for years and they haven't been shut down, makes him more than likely an idiot.

panzer
01-14-2010, 10:39 PM
a big idiot, he must chew tabacco and have confederate baseball hat

forgiven
01-14-2010, 11:53 PM

:oops:

AndrewMendez
01-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Before this turns into a Cop bashing thread...OP glad you can educate him. Seems pretty odd the county has not given them proper info on the situation. Any chance I have to talk to LEO about current laws, I do. I hope he looks into it a little further.

johnthomas
01-15-2010, 12:01 AM

HEY NOW!!!!!! LOL

tombinghamthegreat
01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Maybe you should tell him to walk into the closest gun store and try to arrest everyone for them selling legal OLL.

battleship
01-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Was that the end of the conversation with him about Cali AR 15's or did you attempt to educate him further.

Ford8N
01-15-2010, 4:03 AM
Everyone up in Placer county needs to mail the Sheriff's office a copy of the AW flow chart along with some copies of what other enlightened agency's are doing to educate their staff. Simple.

cdtx2001
01-15-2010, 4:42 AM
Sounds like a golden opportunity to educate the Placer CS about OLLs.

RookieShooter
01-15-2010, 4:43 AM

Who are you calling a big idiot? Where do you live and what type of car do you drive? :)

http://www.jackiegleason.com/forum/images/avatars/gleason%203.jpg

WokMaster1
01-15-2010, 6:43 AM

Easy with the name calling Panzer.

paul0660
01-15-2010, 6:47 AM
this isn't as bad as mags vs. clips, but there is only one sheriff in a county. The other guys are his deputies, and that is what they should be called.

Soldier415
01-15-2010, 6:58 AM
This is why you keep a supply of Calguns AW flowcharts in your vehicle. Don't pass on an opportunity to educate a citizen/LEO and provide them with material to take to their fellow officers/friends.

rcpilot_971
01-15-2010, 7:00 AM
Was that the end of the conversation with him about Cali AR 15's or did you attempt to educate him further.

yeah pretty much.

I did try to tell him there is a gun store TDS right down the street that sells these guns and that is mostly waht they sell is ARs and AK47s I dont think he wanted someone off the street telling him what the laws are Im not Bashing. it was just interesting to hear what he had to say. I have not bought an AR-15 yet just because of this I dont want to go throught the hassle of getting it back if it gets taken away

SJgunguy24
01-15-2010, 7:08 AM

This is uncalled for, some of us tabacco chewing, confederate baseball hat wearing, gun shootin', flag waving, right wing rubes will be the first to lend you a hand.

To the OP, there is a respectful manner in which to open a LEO's eyes to the possibility that maybe he doesn't know all the laws.

Like Soidier 415 said, carry flowcharts with you and or get some of the CGN buisness cards. It's an easy way to get the info out there with out being to pushy.

bodger
01-15-2010, 7:18 AM
Hand him the flow chart and then stand by for him to ask if he can search your vehicle for assault weapons. :D

acolytes
01-15-2010, 7:27 AM
You'd be surprised at how many leo's don't know CA's gun laws. My best friend was LEO for years, and didn't know the gun laws. We had a long talk about it one day, and he was like "really? the gun laws in CA make no sense, it's rediculous." He was a very PRO 2A l.e.o.

rod
01-15-2010, 7:30 AM

You should be a little more careful on how you describe idiots. You wouldn't want to make us mad.

Bugei
01-15-2010, 7:45 AM
OP, you just got the new guy. If he stopped someone for having an AR in his car or out shooting somewhere, he'd call it in and someone would set him straight. It might be "eventually set him straight", but it wouldn't be like Berkeley or SF where no one will admit that the OLL rules exist.

I've been here 30 years and haven't had an ounce of trouble with Placer County Sheriff guys. CHP, now, is a different matter.

7222 Hawker
01-15-2010, 7:52 AM
OP, you just got the new guy. If he stopped someone for having an AR in his car or out shooting somewhere, he'd call it in and someone would set him straight. It might be "eventually set him straight", but it wouldn't be like Berkeley or SF where no one will admit that the OLL rules exist.

I've been here 30 years and haven't had an ounce of trouble with Placer County Sheriff guys. CHP, now, is a different matter.

Funny you say that about CHP. Did you have a bad experience? I know for a fact that CHP in your area is well aware of the legality of the OLL. I have spoken with your Foresthill resident post officer personally about it.

Grakken
01-15-2010, 8:50 AM
Why doesnt a senior LEO, who is also a member of this community put together a memo or sorts, like the Sacramento memo and distribute this to as many stations and LEO agencies as possible? isn't there some kind of rollcall/meeting held before every shift? Would seem to me to be a perfect time to stand up in front of the class and educate the whole shift at the same time.

Conversely, would CGF or other well to do calgun members print out a bunch of flowcharts to be passed around at said meetings? Surely that would be a good cause. Print out a bunch of flowcharts, pass them out to their fellow cops at their meetings. Nothing but win can come of this i think.

I understand cops can't possibly know all the laws but on this one, they should know what is out there! Am I being naive?

dustoff31
01-15-2010, 9:26 AM
I ran into a placer county sheriff today while I was at work my co worker new this guy so he stoped to talk to him. I asked him if he ever came across any ca legal AR type guns he said he has not ran into anyone with one. and then tells me AR-15 type guns are ilegal in ca. so I say what about the ca legal AR-15 he says some were grandfatherd in a while back. I say no Im talking about the ones you can buy right now at the gun stores. he did not know anything about what I was talking about. so I said if you seen someone with an AR type gun would you just take it. he said probably no AR guns are legal in ca

Tim

OK, so which is it? Does the deputy think they are illegal or not?

Jamez
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM

HEY!!.....what's wrong with that :-(

Dark Paladin
01-15-2010, 3:06 PM
OK, so which is it? Does the deputy think they are illegal or not?

I think this is what the OP meant to say. . . with correct punctuations. . .

he said probably, no AR guns are legal in ca

johnthomas
01-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Cops are not attorneys, for the most part, like us, they talk amongst themselves and buy into the FUD other's tell them. That is why, we the learned, must teach the unknowing. If you have a black rifle, why not keep a flow chart in your range bag. I wonder if CAlGUN has sent one out to all police agencies in the state with a cover letter.
It wouldn't hurt. JT

Lagduf
01-15-2010, 11:27 PM
yeah pretty much.

I did try to tell him there is a gun store TDS right down the street that sells these guns and that is mostly waht they sell is ARs and AK47s I dont think he wanted someone off the street telling him what the laws are Im not Bashing. it was just interesting to hear what he had to say. I have not bought an AR-15 yet just because of this I dont want to go throught the hassle of getting it back if it gets taken away

LOL, he would have been shocked when he walked in to TDS. CA Legal ARs, AKs, and all kinds of AR uppers and parts as far as the eye can see.

I'm in Placer County, I'll have to print out a couple more copies of the AW flowchart and the Sacramento training memo.

Cokebottle
01-16-2010, 12:13 AM
I ran into a placer county sheriff today while I was at work my co worker new this guy so he stoped to talk to him. I asked him if he ever came across any ca legal AR type guns he said he has not ran into anyone with one. and then tells me AR-15 type guns are ilegal in ca. so I say what about the ca legal AR-15 he says some were grandfatherd in a while back. I say no Im talking about the ones you can buy right now at the gun stores. he did not know anything about what I was talking about. so I said if you seen someone with an AR type gun would you just take it. he said probably. No AR guns are legal in cal
Technically/legally, he's right... AR15s are Colt/Armalite and they are (for the most part, except the LE6940).

My "Calguns" lower, once completed, will not be an AR15.
It will be an AR15 pattern rifle, but technically and legally, it will be a Kaiser Defense .223/5.56NATO.

Same goes for referring to AK pattern rifles as AK47, AK74, RPK, etc....
Each of those names that are on "the list" are property of the companies that produced those guns.
Bill mentioned a month or so ago that it is extremely important that none of our AK-pattern rifles have the characters "AK47" stamped on the receiver.

rromeo
01-16-2010, 9:04 AM
The key is "AR type" rifles. Types of rifles aren't illegal, just certain models.

curtisfong
01-16-2010, 9:49 AM
I did try to tell him there is a gun store TDS right down the street that sells these guns and that is mostly waht they sell is ARs and AK47s

Why would you do that, when you could point him to a copy of the CalGuns AW ID Flowchart?

wildhawker
01-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Try using these (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3635425&postcount=1).

Suvorov
01-16-2010, 10:54 AM
yeah pretty much.

Or maybe with your low post count and recent membership you are someone tasked with sitting behind a computer trying to spread FUD? :TFH:

Working at the range yesterday we had several Police/Sheriff/Feds (we let LEOs shoot for free) shooting, OLLs all around, some of them even had OLLs. ;)