PDA

View Full Version : Colt XSE Govmt or Springfield Loaded Parkerized

HPGunner
01-14-2010, 9:58 PM
I've been looking for a good 1911 for under $1000 and have come across a couple of choices that are available. The Colt XSE Government (model O1980XSE) and the Springfield Armory Loaded Parkerized (model PX9109LP). I hardly see Colts for sale and feel like I should pick one up if I've have the opportunity, whereas Springfield's I've seen more often. I also love Kimber's and Dan Wesson's but I don't see those at the gun shop to often either.

The Springfield is about $150 buck cheaper than the Colt. I'm mainly looking for an all around quality, reliable, durable, and accurate gun for leisure time at the range and to have and collect. Not for concealed carry - maybe for home defense if necessary.

Opinions and advice needed.

BillPear
01-15-2010, 7:30 AM
Not sure of your location but Turners has the Colt XSE on "sale" for $949.99 this week

HPGunner
01-15-2010, 7:46 AM
Yes, I know - that's the one I was looking at. I don't know how many they have and if they will put one on "lay-away" if I drop them a deposit. I already have another handgun in DROS last week (stupid 30 day law).

Davidson's Gallery of Guns has a Springfield Loaded Parkerized that I was comparing to.

cineski
01-15-2010, 8:00 AM
Bud's occasionally has the Dan Wesson PM7 which seems to get a unanimous nod for the best sub $1k 1911 available. Colts, I keep reading the new ones are lacking but I have no experience with these. I have experience with the Springfield Loaded and while it's generally a nice 1911, the edges are very sharp compared to anything else I've held. Just some thoughts, but if I were to get another 1911, I'd be looking at one of the PM7's or at spending a few hundred more. Here's a blem version for $850:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/917079212/Guns/Pistols/Dan-Wesson-Pistols-Revolvers/1911-Style/DAN_WESSON_PM7.htm

Legasat
01-15-2010, 8:22 AM
Bud's occasionally has the Dan Wesson PM7 which seems to get a unanimous nod for the best sub $1k 1911 available.

Sorry, I gotta agree with cineski. If you looking that close to $1k, you owe it to yourself to look at the DW PM-7. The blem he mentions is even more reason (DW blems are GREAT deals).

Black Majik
01-15-2010, 8:27 AM
Between the two, Springfield Loaded.

I hate, HATE, HATE the downward sloping duckbill grip safety.

But cineski is correct as usual, look into the Dan Wesson (although adj. sights)

hnoppenberger
01-15-2010, 8:38 AM
colt baby. but get the government 1991a1. turners has them. no downward grip safty.]
springfields are brazilian. i wouldnt even consider one.

civilsnake
01-15-2010, 9:23 AM
colt baby. but get the government 1991a1. turners has them. no downward grip safty.]

Why is Brazilian a problem? If it's good, it's good. Imbel makes good forgings.

Black Majik
01-15-2010, 9:32 AM
Why is Brazilian a problem? If it's good, it's good. Imbel makes good forgings.

+1.

Marsoc1
01-15-2010, 9:57 AM
I hate, HATE, HATE the downward sloping duckbill grip safety.

i hear u there, makes a 1911 so uncomfortable...

recently tried my friends new xse combat commander and i was actually disappointed with performance and loose parts (list upon request), I expected more from colt. As for myself I went with kimber custom ii, keeping the cost low with a base mode so i can do some mods to my liking later.

+1 for Kimber

walter
01-15-2010, 10:05 AM
the new colt aint like the old colt, its just the same name...

HPGunner
01-16-2010, 7:52 AM
Good feedback. I'll definitely look into a Wesson PM7. I haven't shot a 1911 with a downward slopping grip safety - thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to grip one to see how it feels.

beemaze
01-16-2010, 7:59 AM
the new colt aint like the old colt, its just the same name...

Ditto. Get an old Colt (series 70 or pre-70).

RedFord150
01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Bud's occasionally has the Dan Wesson PM7 which seems to get a unanimous nod for the best sub $1k 1911 available. Colts, I keep reading the new ones are lacking but I have no experience with these. I have experience with the Springfield Loaded and while it's generally a nice 1911, the edges are very sharp compared to anything else I've held. Just some thoughts, but if I were to get another 1911, I'd be looking at one of the PM7's or at spending a few hundred more. Here's a blem version for $850:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/917079212/Guns/Pistols/Dan-Wesson-Pistols-Revolvers/1911-Style/DAN_WESSON_PM7.htm

I just bought a PM7 from the same seller. I get it out of 'jail' on Monday. I paid $995 for a 'Non-Blem'.
From the brief time I got to hold it, I really like it. The seller is a good guy and made this an easy transaction. Once I shoot it and am satisfied I got exactly what I paid for, I will give the seller the proper feedback.
I also considered the SA Loaded and the Colt XSE before choosing the PM7.
Good luck.

DArBad
01-16-2010, 1:08 PM
hpgunner,

FYI I just sold off TWO Colt 1991s one blue and one stainless for various cosmetic and functional issues. I've sent both guns back to Colt Inc. for resolution of those issues, but both guns came back with one issue resolved and some ADDED issues.

I have one Colt 1991 left, a blue one and so far there are no issue with it. It is not great but okay, so I am watching closely. I also have two SA 1911s, one the old " Standard Model circa late 1980s and one Milspec bought in 2000.

Inspect VERY CAREFULLY when you buy Colts. Never buy them from the internet- sight unseen. Bring with you someone very knowlegeable when you are inspecting Colts. This is not Colt bashing, just basing everything from experience.

For the same reason, inspect all handguns carefully when buying.

Good luck!

beemaze
01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
hpgunner,

FYI I just sold off TWO Colt 1991s one blue and one stainless for various cosmetic and functional issues. I've sent both guns back to Colt Inc. for resolution of those issues, but both guns came back with one issue resolved and some ADDED issues.

I have one Colt 1991 left, a blue one and so far there are no issue with it. It is not great but okay, so I am watching closely. I also have two SA 1911s, one the old " Standard Model circa late 1980s and one Milspec bought in 2000.

Inspect VERY CAREFULLY when you buy Colts. Never buy them from the internet- sight unseen. Bring with you someone very knowlegeable when you are inspecting Colts. This is not Colt bashing, just basing everything from experience.

For the same reason, inspect all handguns carefully when buying.

Yep, newer Colts have their issues, such a shame...

Great advice here!

I have bought a few firearms off the 'net and calguns as well. So far I've encountered one with an incorrect firing pin, another 1911 with a part in the wrong place lol, another 1911 with a pin missing. So yes, there is an inherent risk buying from a stranger. Take the weapon down carefully before shooting it, clean it thoroughly, and inspect. If you don't know what you're doing, ask around and even take it to a gunsmith. You'll be surprised at what you can find! Better than having a gun malfunction on you while shooting or worse literally fall apart or blow up!

Cokebottle
01-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Only the GI and Milspec.
Loaded and higher are domestic.

beemaze
01-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Only the GI and Milspec.
Loaded and higher are domestic.

I have a Loaded with a Brazilian made Imbel frame. Nothing wrong with it, I like it since it shoots very well!!! But I know quality control just isn't there. Mag release is tight in the frame, safety is very tight, grip bushings are soft metal (all MIM parts), trigger is heavy. Be prepared to have these issues smoothed out by a gunsmith or send it back to Springfield.

The world of 1911's is a disease....

Cokebottle
01-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a Loaded with a Brazilian made Imbel frame. Nothing wrong with it, I like it since it shoots very well!!! But I know quality control just isn't there. Mag release is tight in the frame, safety is very tight, grip bushings are soft metal (all MIM parts), trigger is heavy. Be prepared to have these issues smoothed out by a gunsmith or send it back to Springfield.
Interesting... Had been told by people that know 1911's that the domestic line begins with the Loaded.

Either way, I'll be going MilSpec for mine unless someone has fallen on hard times and is offering up their TRP stainless/wood for $600.

beemaze
01-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Interesting... Had been told by people that know 1911's that the domestic line begins with the Loaded.

Either way, I'll be going MilSpec for mine unless someone has fallen on hard times and is offering up their TRP stainless/wood for $600.

It used to be that way, but I believe Springfield has outsourced some of their frame making for the past 1-2 years to allocate more resources towards making and keeping costs down on their higher-end models.

I handled a used TRP last month and it was quite nicer than my Loaded in terms of smoothness (mag release, trigger, safety). But it was going for $600 more than my Loaded. Perhaps it had been worked on as well since it had a recoil spring plug with a laser sight inside with the on/off switch on the slide release - very funky :TFH:

Cokebottle
01-17-2010, 12:14 PM
It used to be that way, but I believe Springfield has outsourced some of their frame making for the past 1-2 years to allocate more resources towards making and keeping costs down on their higher-end models.
Could be... which means that the common recommendation "buy a Loaded" will soon change to the next line up, which will force them to move that model and they'll eventually be left doing only customs here.

beemaze
01-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Could be... which means that the common recommendation "buy a Loaded" will soon change to the next line up, which will force them to move that model and they'll eventually be left doing only customs here.

Yea, maybe buy a "U.S. made" Loaded if you can find one.

Unfortunately you may be right. It's a sign of the times. A deep recession and failing 'economic stimulus' plan along with higher taxes for everyone will lead to inflation across the board. Springfield et al. will have to do what they can to keep prices down on their bulk sellers. Blame it all on Obama and his cronies. But I digress....