PDA

View Full Version : Reload safety

OliveCookieMonsta
01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Is it safe to use Reloads? I had an old friend who was adamant about not allowing others to use his reloads nor use others. So, when I started shooting more I purchase new mfg ammo all :Dthe time. Any thoughts?

WINGEDSWORD
01-15-2010, 4:55 PM
I am a long time reloader. I am very careful. But I would never shoot reloads
other than my own. A number of years ago, I bought some bagged reloads
at a range.(commercial reloads) 2 rounds of a bag of 50 failed to fire. One had no primer! I don't know why the second failed. The biggest danger in using reloads is an overcharge or compressed carge. Either one can damage a gun or injure the shooter.

OliveCookieMonsta
01-15-2010, 6:14 PM
What about factory reloads?

Steyrlp10
01-15-2010, 7:47 PM
In my previous life, I had two Dillons for .32s and .45s, but things have changed so much in the last 10 years that I haven't been following the details closely. Anyhow, I was shooting about six days a week, so having reloads was the most practical thing to do as far as cost and the amount of powder I wanted in my target loads.

For me, the accuracy was never a problem. I was lucky that I didn't have any problems during matches. I had friends, however, who had bullets stuck in their barrels because of mismatched loads.

I'm about to look into buying factory reloads in Santa Rosa next week. I'll keep you posted if I have any horror stories to share.

Best of luck to you.

AbbyCat
01-15-2010, 8:36 PM
I'm finding that using factory reloads is a crap shoot. Some have worked well for me, others have failed to fire. I've bought the reloads from a couple different places that have good reputations. So now, I'm not trusting reloads and only using new ammo.

CSACANNONEER
01-15-2010, 8:39 PM
Comercial reloads can be far better or far worse than the normal factory ammo. Like anything else, it depends on how well they are made.

diginit
01-31-2010, 6:15 PM
Factory reloads are considered factory ammo, So they will not void your warranty. But beware of reloads. I reload myself and know the dangers involved. If I buy reloads, 90% of the time, I will break them down and reuse the components, Disguarding the powder. Reloaded ammo should be loaded for a specific gun. They could be under of overpowered for your gun. I've seen some really cruddy reloads sold by small vendors at gun shows and by private sellers. I was very suprised the first time I opened one to find there was NO powder. A primer only 223 would have stuck the bullet in the barrel for sure. The next shot would have blown up my rifle.
Miwall and LoadX are two loaders I would trust. Can't think of any others right now.

hawk81
03-13-2010, 9:43 PM
QC plays a large role in reloads. If you trust the reloader than your good to go.

Backinblack1234
03-23-2010, 11:21 PM
I shot a ton of Miwall Reloads. I never had a problem execpt one round that a bullet was seated backwards. After that I carefully examined the ammo and so far no problems.

six10
03-24-2010, 6:29 PM
Heck, I'm ascairt of half of the factory new ammo out there! (Nope, no reloads for me.)

2Cute2Shoot
03-25-2010, 1:44 PM
May dad used to not want to use reloads loaded by other people that he didn't know or didn't trust. I have thousands of rounds that he reloaded that I feel safe using, but I don't know about some of the others. I heard some stories that people could get hurt if it isn't done properly.

OliveCookieMonsta
03-25-2010, 7:01 PM
You know, ... I was talking about reloading at the range and trying to see if one of the other ladies in our shooting group wanted to learn... And one of the instructors offered to teach me!!! I am super excited and ready to start keeping my own brass and learning all the techniques!!! I gotta get one of those brass hand catchers haha they look so weird... I'll tell u how it goes!

2Cute2Shoot
03-26-2010, 9:59 AM
You know, ... I was talking about reloading at the range and trying to see if one of the other ladies in our shooting group wanted to learn... And one of the instructors offered to teach me!!! I am super excited and ready to start keeping my own brass and learning all the techniques!!! I gotta get one of those brass hand catchers haha they look so weird... I'll tell u how it goes!

Let me know how hard it is! I wish I could say it sounds like fun, but I don't think so :( My dad used to reload - we have all his old equipment in the garage. It took him soooo long to do it. Measuring & weighing and cleaning, etc., etc. Lucky I still have about 5,000 rounds that he reloaded a few years ago, so don't have to worry about that for now :)

j1133s
03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Is it safe to use Reloads? I had an old friend who was adamant about not allowing others to use his reloads nor use others. So, when I started shooting more I purchase new mfg ammo all :Dthe time. Any thoughts?

We're talking about reloads by other people right? Then, they are unsafe for experienced shooters and extremely unsafe for newbies.