PDA

View Full Version : Pre Ban Mag Question

SnipeShot
01-14-2010, 10:28 PM
What is the legality of having preban magazines that I have had since 1997? They belonged to my father and he left them when he walked out. I did not find them until 1998 when I was 15 years old. Would these be legal for me to use example I have a few 25 round mags for a 10/22 I used to have as a kid and some other odds and ends in a mid size box.

I know you need to be atleast 18 to own a firearm but I cant find anything as far as owning a magazine?

69Mach1
01-14-2010, 10:31 PM
There is no law against owning your preban high caps so long as you had them before the ban took place in 2000.

69Mach1
01-14-2010, 10:34 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

AJAX22
01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I was 17 when the ban occured.... spent every cent I could get my hands on on firearm accessories....

parents wouldn't let me buy/co-register an assault weapon :(

but I did get a few BIG crates full of everything else that the gunstores were selling that was about to be banned.

SnipeShot
01-14-2010, 11:14 PM
My main question had to do with the age I was when I had them. I know about the Jan 1 2000 date but did not find anything pertaining having to be over 18.

bwiese
01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
There was no requirement to be over 18.

SnipeShot
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
All I needed to know... Thanks.

DeDeYe i had been on those links and was unable to find anything about age i did book mark them again for future reference.

DedEye
01-14-2010, 11:25 PM
All I needed to know... Thanks.

DeDeYe i had been on those links and was unable to find anything about age i did book mark them again for future reference.

Thank you for the feedback. In that case, I will add a comment about magazines not being an age restricted item.

Would this have answered your question if you read it in the FAQ?

Is possession of a large capacity magazine illegal?

Possession of a large-capacity magazine is NOT illegal, no matter how you got it or when you got it. There was not and is not an age limit to own large capacity magazines. This includes magazines issued to military.

Purple K
01-15-2010, 3:33 AM
Take a deep breath and count slowly to ten. Our membership is growing incredibly fast, the search function isn't always the best and sometimes people just don't yet know how to navigate our forum. We all must be patient with the newbies.

jccam
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
As a new member, I am impressed with this site and the encouraging enthusiasm of its members. However, the intimidation factor must be pretty high for a lot of noobies, considering the ease with which they get slammed.

I completely agree with the policy of NOT duplicating answers and expanding the FAQ instead. However, I do NOT see a link to the cited FAQ at the top of the forum pages....this is really a matter of organization rather than laziness on the part of a newcomer.

What I see at the top are these links: Home , My iTrader, Donate to The Calguns Foundation, Sponsors, CGN Google Search, CA AW ID Flowchart, CA Rifle AW ID Interactive Chart , CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart, CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart, OLL Assembly Guide.

There IS a link titled FAQ, but it navigates to a search page, rather than going directly here: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ.

If a question is being asked a thousand times, it is because: 1) it's a valid, common question, obviously; 2) the answer is not obvious or easily found.

For example, if someone wants to know if it's legal to transport ammunition within 1000 ft of a school, without locking it in a container....will clicking FAQ tell them that? No, it brings up a search field, which yields dozens of discussion threads, full of similar topics. They need an easy way to link to the wiki.

Finally, with all due respect to how frustrating it is to repeat answers... every day is someone's FIRST day on calguns. A "welcome to calguns" message goes further than a "you idiot, learn to google" message.

Glock22Fan
01-15-2010, 1:25 PM
If a question is being asked a thousand times, it is because: 1) it's a valid, common question, obviously; 2) the answer is not obvious or easily found.

I'm not trying to knock anybody in particular here, but you would be surprised how may people cannot understand your point 2.

I run www.CaliforniaConcealedCarry.com (http://www.CaliforniaConcealedCarry.com). On our "Contact us" page, we specifically say (immediately above the query form):

If your query is "How do I get a CCW?" please read Additional Notes (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/feedback5.html)

You would be amazed at the daily count of emails we get saying "How do I get a CCW?" No additional information, such as residential location or possible good cause. The reply is "Go back and look at the Additional Notes (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/feedback5.html), and study our Getting Started pages. Once you have done that, ask a more directed question."

Now is that not obvious or difficult to find? Frankly, some people are extremely lazy.

pingpong
01-15-2010, 1:35 PM
Take a deep breath and count slowly to ten. Our membership is growing incredibly fast, the search function isn't always the best and sometimes people just don't yet know how to navigate our forum. We all must be patient with the newbies.

Our search currently sucks at looking up strings or anything 3 letters or less (i.e. if I want to look up something about the AKM or SIG in general). I just use google with the query: "site:calguns.net whatever-i-want-to-search".

DedEye
01-15-2010, 1:43 PM
Our search currently sucks at looking up strings or anything 3 letters or less (i.e. if I want to look up something about the AKM or SIG in general). I just use google with the query: "site:calguns.net whatever-i-want-to-search".

If you'll notice, in none of my replies to people asking oft-repeated questions have I told them to use the search button. Instead, I repeatedly offer them a link to the answer to their question, and only provide a message of "love and acceptance" to people who have been here a while (such as the OP, who has been a member for well over a year and has over 100 posts), slightly tempering my reply to members who just joined in the last couple months or who have only a handful of posts.

JCcam is right that the lack of a FAQ or Wiki link is incredibly unhelpful for new members. In fact, it was supposed to have been corrected already but due to development delays we're apparently stuck with what we have for the time being. Hopefully a link to the Wiki/Wiki FAQ, or the FAQ link changed, can be added in the interim.

curtisfong
01-15-2010, 5:22 PM
There is a certain class of people who will *never* do any kind of research on their own. Their first attempt at "research" will always to go to an online forum and simply ask. Why? They know it is much easier. They will get a response right away. They have no idea they will get flamed if it is a common question.

DedEye
01-15-2010, 5:27 PM
There is a certain class of people who will *never* do any kind of research on their own. Their first attempt at "research" will always to go to an online forum and simply ask. Why? They know it is much easier. They will get a response right away. They have no idea they will get flamed if it is a common question.

This is true, but as another member asked in one of these threads in the last week, why are ANY of these threads over two posts long? Shouldn't it be a simple "Question - Answer - end of story?"

The problem comes when a lot of people either add misinformation and uninformed opinion of the laws, or followup on the OP's question with another oft-repeated one. It's for both those reasons that it's really useful to use a FAQ (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ) or similar resource in the immediate answer to the OP's question, thus preempting any of those uninformed answers or follow up questions.

Stuff that isn't in the FAQ, either because it's random and not frequently asked, or because it's new, can then be more easily identified and discussed.

Librarian
01-15-2010, 5:29 PM
Preach it, my brother!

DedEye
01-15-2010, 5:30 PM
Preach it, my brother!

I DON'T hate you :D.

383green
01-15-2010, 5:41 PM
This is true, but as another member asked in one of these threads in the last week, why are ANY of these threads over two posts long? Shouldn't it be a simple "Question - Answer - end of story?"

That was me. And I like kittens! (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Magazine_Questions) :D

DedEye
01-15-2010, 5:44 PM
That was me. And I like kittens! (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Magazine_Questions) :D

You are my favorite person of the day. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ)

DedEye
01-15-2010, 5:45 PM
By the way, both of you (Librarian and 383) hop on Google Wave.

RideIcon
01-15-2010, 8:21 PM
As a new member, I am impressed with this site and the encouraging enthusiasm of its members. However, the intimidation factor must be pretty high for a lot of noobies, considering the ease with which they get slammed.

Honestly, there is less slamming on this site than any other site I have ever visited. Intimidation, NO DOUBT, but probably more of a I don't want to look dumb in front of these guys because they rock kinda a situation.
:cool2:

SnipeShot
01-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Thank you for the feedback. In that case, I will add a comment about magazines not being an age restricted item.

Would this have answered your question if you read it in the FAQ?

Yes this would have I never noticed the FAQ until now... I did try searching for it through threads and only got info pertaining to 1/1/00 I did not see any threads that mentioned age. I will chalk one up for being blind also I did not intend to start a flame war.

DedEye
01-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Yes this would have I never noticed the FAQ until now... I did try searching for it through threads and only got info pertaining to 1/1/00 I did not see any threads that mentioned age. I will chalk one up for being blind also I did not intend to start a flame war.

Hopefully one of these days the Wiki and FAQ will be linked prominently somewhere on the page so it'll be easier for members to find answers.

:gene::gene::gene:

racinginthestreets
01-16-2010, 6:12 PM
Just a friendly caution to anyone relying on answers found on FAQ sites. All too often these answers don't cite the relevant statute that was relied on to give the answer.

The problem comes in the event one relies on the information read on a FAQ site and gets charged with a crime. I can assure you that the charging body will not be impressed if the chief evidence you use in court to defend yourself is an answer from a FAQ site (whether it's Calguns Foundation FAQ, or another site). Nothing against this source of information, but before you go out and rely on this information you'd better double check what statute was used and analyze how your answer was interpreted.

Case law is always changing and statute interpretation by judges is always setting new precedent. So be careful.

curtisfong
01-16-2010, 6:16 PM
I can assure you that the charging body will not be impressed

What the charging body thinks is irrelevant.

However, I agree with the substance of your post.

racinginthestreets
01-16-2010, 6:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinginthestreets View Post
I can assure you that the charging body will not be impressed
What the charging body thinks is irrelevant.

You are correct. I was merely trying to point out the charging body will not accept the use of a FAQ site answer to override a statute.

curtisfong
01-16-2010, 6:46 PM
I was merely trying to point out the charging body will not accept the use of a FAQ site answer to override a statute.

The charging body will disregard anything. Logic. Reason. Law. They will do whatever they can to intimidate. What they think about the legality of what you did is irrelevant. You could point out case law till the cows come home. If they want to charge you, they'll charge you, damn the law.

What matters is what happens when you get to court. What matters is what the judge thinks about what you have to say.

LEO? They're clueless.

DedEye
01-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Just a friendly caution to anyone relying on answers found on FAQ sites. All too often these answers don't cite the relevant statute that was relied on to give the answer.

The problem comes in the event one relies on the information read on a FAQ site and gets charged with a crime. I can assure you that the charging body will not be impressed if the chief evidence you use in court to defend yourself is an answer from a FAQ site (whether it's Calguns Foundation FAQ, or another site). Nothing against this source of information, but before you go out and rely on this information you'd better double check what statute was used and analyze how your answer was interpreted.

Case law is always changing and statute interpretation by judges is always setting new precedent. So be careful.

Then get on board and start help adding the citations stud. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin)

The FAQ is a reference guide. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ)

The rest of the site has the links to the citations and documents upon which the answers are based. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page)

bigcalidave
01-17-2010, 3:44 PM
It's difficult to cite PC when there is no law against possession of something. ;)

DedEye
01-17-2010, 5:04 PM
It's difficult to cite PC when there is no law against possession of something. ;)

All the same, the FAQ needs more references. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#References)

I've requested a software extension be installed that will improve our citation ability, just waiting for the people with access to do it.