PDA

View Full Version : Need info on NJ gun laws

MP301
01-14-2010, 9:16 PM
If this is the wrong place, Mods please move.

I want to send a handgun to a New Jersey Resident (to an FFL). They went to the closest FFL and were told all sorts of things...such as the paperwork will take months, etc. Do you have to have some special State or City/County permit to own a handgun in New Jersey?

Are there any other strange or different Laws there that I should be aware of that would explain the hold up? Is this FFL full of cap or is the person that went thee just retarded?

This is screwing things up for me and any help from someone who knows the rules there would be greatly appreciated!

ke6guj
01-14-2010, 9:23 PM
If this is the wrong place, Mods please move.

I want to send a handgun to a New Jersey Resident (to an FFL). They went to the closest FFL and were told all sorts of things...such as the paperwork will take months, etc. Do you have to have some special State or City/County permit to own a handgun in New Jersey?IIRC, yes, there is a firearms permit needed to a handgun in NJ, which can take months, IIRC.

Are there any other strange or different Laws there that I should be aware of that would explain the hold up? Is this FFL full of cap or is the person that went thee just retarded?might even need for a fired cartridge to be collected from the firearm, but that might just be Maryland.

http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/nj.htm

kf6tac
01-14-2010, 9:26 PM
I don't actually know the laws in NJ offhand, but I will say that from everything I've seen, NJ has some pretty screwed up firearms laws too.

From a quick search of the NJ statutes, it looks like you do indeed need a permit of some sort to possess a handgun in NJ:

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons.
b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

MP301
01-14-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks pal.... are you sure? That figures. I guess there are worse places then Ca. This is gonna be a pain I can see now.

Also, Im starting the "Phone blow up" phase with my NFA examiner. I was gone for the last couple of days, but i will not take no for an answer.

Week one - Blow up phone.

Week two - Blow up Supervisors phone

Ill keep you posted.

MP301
01-14-2010, 9:30 PM
I don't actually know the laws in NJ offhand, but I will say that from everything I've seen, NJ has some pretty screwed up firearms laws too.

From a quick search of the NJ statutes, it looks like you do indeed need a permit of some sort to possess a handgun in NJ:

That says "Carry"... Is that the same thing as owning in NJ?

kf6tac
01-14-2010, 9:32 PM
That says "Carry"... Is that the same thing as owning in NJ?

It says you need a permit to carry in order to "have in his possession." Maybe there's a way to own without possessing in NJ, but what's the point, really, of owning if you can't possess?

MP301
01-14-2010, 9:33 PM
It says you need a permit to carry in order to "have in his possession." Maybe there's a way to own without possessing in NJ, but what's the point, really, of owning if you can't possess?

Yes, there are places worse then here...crap

DedEye
01-14-2010, 9:34 PM
Consult the Hometown forum on ar15.com for New Jersey for a local's advice. (http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=50)

You wouldn't want to rely on an out of stater for advice on California law, would you?

sreiter
01-14-2010, 9:46 PM
I'll get more info tomorrow, my sister owns a gun in NJ and my brother was a sgt. in a local PD

From what i remember, every gun owner needs a permit. Carrying means in a locked case, no ammo inside the case. it does take ages to get. you have to take a gun safety course to be allowed to buy a gun. you gotta be sqweeky clean.

i'll post more accurate info tomorrow. but the laws are horrible there. worse then ours.

AJAX22
01-14-2010, 9:48 PM
If you're shipping to an FFL, then you're covered.

its on the receiving party to make sure it is legal, if not they simply refuse to accept it and send it back.

JSilvoso
01-15-2010, 9:29 AM
ATF puts out a publication every year (though it tends to be couple years behind) on each state's firearm laws and local muni code laws. "State Laws and Published Ordinances Firearms, 2008 29th Edition"

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/state-laws/29th-edition/index.html

It's not a bad place to start for non-local gun laws.

California gun laws are included.

sreiter
01-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Spoke to sis. She took a class u don't need one. Go to police station in ur to and they finger print and fbi background check after u pay them cash. Wherew she lives it took 6 weeks. But she said in other cities the take 6 months the. Say they lost paper work andu start all over. Jersey city eas doing that to ban guns. Depends on where u live how easy or hard

MP301
01-15-2010, 5:50 PM
Thanks for assist everyone....looks like this is going to seriously delay my trade!.. oh well.... A small part of me is happy about the fact that I know maybe Ca aint as bad in some areas as some other places....

press1280
01-16-2010, 5:18 AM
Thanks for assist everyone....looks like this is going to seriously delay my trade!.. oh well.... A small part of me is happy about the fact that I know maybe Ca aint as bad in some areas as some other places....
The statute quoted earlier refers to a permit to carry a handgun, or CCW. In NJ, you only own and possess handguns by an exception in the law.
I believe the issue is that unless the FFL you're transferring to wants to hold onto the gun for months, the party in NJ will need to have their paperwork in order so the firearm can be sent to the FFL and picked up in short order.
The NJ party will need to apply for and have a PP(pistol permit) in order to purchase or receive the handgun. You need a PP for EACH handgun you buy in NJ.
I'd say have the individual apply for the PP, the moment they get one send the firearm to the FFL so they can pick it up. Keep in mind depending on the locality they live in, this could take MONTHS(I've heard as much as 6 months).
There's also a law passed last year in NJ limiting purchases to one-gun-a-month. At first glance you'd think it just means individuals can only purchase OGAM, but even the idiot lawmakers who passed the law now seem to think the language indicates EVEN DEALERS can only replenish stock at the same OGAM rate(remember everything gun related in NJ is illegal unless SPECIFICALLY exempted).
Just when you guys thought CA was bad.......you have NJ:eek: