PDA

View Full Version : CZ 97B Trigger

Nihonto Chicken
01-14-2010, 9:07 PM
I've had some interest in the CZ 97B, what with the DA/SA action, 10 round magazine, and reputation for very good accuracy (due in part to full length dust cover?). A local gun shoppe happened to have a used specimen in store, nearly new condition. I was happy to find my hands were large enough to reach the trigger without problem (a major drawback for some as I have read). When I tested the DA pull, it was long and grungy, as I expected - no problem, I was more interested in the SA pull. Well, re the SA ops, after a long take-up (again, no prob), when it got down to the nitty gritty, well, it was, um, ah, really bad. Not only was there a terrible amount of creep, I noticed that instead of just dropping the hammer, the trigger/sear mechanism actually moved the hammer backwards a noticeable distance before it was freed to fall. Is this typical for a 97B? Is a DA/SA .45 pistol indeed an excellent answer to a non-existent question??? :cool:

dfletcher
01-14-2010, 9:24 PM
I've had mine for about 10 years I guess. I'd say the excellent accuracy is due to the thing simply being well made and I suppose that the slide rides on inside frame rails instead of on the outside - at least that's what I hear.

My DA pull is fine, SA pull is typical of the SA/DA type. Mine does not arc the hammer back at all in SA mode. I suppose if the sear notch angle is steep that would be the result. I'm not comfortable taking the thing apart enough to clean up the trigger pull, for some reason tha DA semi guns just don't explain themselves to me very well.

I'm not too big on shooting the SA/DA types for fun, so mine is strictly a "loaded at home" defense gun. I went with the 97B because it's big and heavy and reliable and 45 ACP, that it's the DA/SA type means I can keep it ready to go. As much as I like my 1911s or BHPs I don't want to do locked & cocked on them.

If it helps, I paid $499.00 for mine brand new. Noticed they've gotten pretty expensive over the years, if the one you're looking at has a good price on it might be worth grabbing.

leelaw
01-14-2010, 10:32 PM
The two best things you can do to a CZ pistol:

1. Replace the hammer with a competition hammer
2. Polish the sear surfaces

Those two things has made my CZs hands-down the most fun pistols I have to shoot.

dfletcher
01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
The two best things you can do to a CZ pistol:

1. Replace the hammer with a competition hammer
2. Polish the sear surfaces

Those two things has made my CZs hands-down the most fun pistols I have to shoot.

Did you do it yourself? On a scale of 1 to 10 how was it?

leelaw
01-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Had a friend do it. I'll ask, but suspect it was around 5-7.

elsolo
01-15-2010, 5:38 PM
The caming action of the hammer in SA mode is because the way the hammer hooks are cut.

The comp hammer Angus sells will cure this problem, but it isn't just a drop-in part. You'll have to check the sear engagement, last one I installed had insufficient engagement and need to be fitted. The safety also will need fitting. I recommend against polishing the sear.

Nihonto Chicken
01-15-2010, 9:50 PM
Thanks to all for your responses. Having to replace or rework the sear/hammer on an already costly firearm is beyond what I want to deal with, guess I'll have to be happy with John Moses' original!

dfletcher
01-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Had a friend do it. I'll ask, but suspect it was around 5-7.

Thanks - I can handle a job that takes 5 to 7 swear words to do right. :rolleyes: