PDA

View Full Version : Again with the Gun safe/Gun lock issue in CA.

Templar
01-14-2010, 6:32 PM
ASE PRISM

bhaworth
01-14-2010, 6:42 PM
From the CA DOJ FAQ Page:
Am I required by law to store my firearms where children cannot access them?

Yes. In most cases, if you keep any loaded firearm within any premise which is under your custody or control and know or reasonably should know that a child (person under 18 years of age) is likely to gain access to the firearm, you may be guilty of a felony if a child gains access to that firearm and thereby causes death or injury to any person unless the firearm was in a secure locked container or locked with a locking device that rendered it inoperable.

(PC Section 12035-12036)
This seems to indicate that you have a locking device but if you want to take a chance on a felony you do not have to. A safe is not required, only a locking device to cover yourself. I suggest that you read further at http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

Librarian
01-14-2010, 7:46 PM
And see the Wiki, http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws

FFLs have to verify that buyers have such critters before they are allowed to deliver guns to them; there is no general requirement to keep them or use locks, etc. if you choose to keep them.

CHS
01-14-2010, 7:54 PM
Is it required by State or Federal law to have a gun safe in order to own such a weapon and keep it at one's residence? (Yes I know this sounds like a silly question, but I am new to California and its ridiculous gun laws)

No.

Is it required by State or Federal law to have in place a gun lock on your weapon when in your home? (Again forgive me for the stupid questions)

No.

What else are you confused about?

Anothercoilgun
01-14-2010, 8:32 PM
No.

Is it required by State or Federal law to have in place a gun lock on your weapon when in your home? (Again forgive me for the stupid questions)

Thats the most truthfull no there is. If and when the answer to this turns into a yes, time for me to leave this state or any body of such a ridiculous land.

From the California Firearms Law summary booklet below.

"Firearms in the Home or Business
Any person over the age of 18 who is not prohibited from possessing firearms, and if otherwise
lawful, may keep and carry a firearm or have a firearm loaded at his or her place of residence,
temporary residence, campsite, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the person.
(Penal Code 12026, 12031(h) and (l).) Any person engaged in any lawful business (including
nonprofit organizations) or any officer, employee, or agent authorized for lawful purposes connected
with the business may possess a loaded firearm within the place of business if that person is
over 18 years of age and not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms. (Penal Code 12026,
12031(h).)"

Search all references in the statutes for "In the Home". You may open, conceal, dry, or loaded, no permit, no HSC, no nothing but just not be prohibited or under 18. The safe storage laws only take effect if an unauthorized person attains and moves the firearm into the public or hurts themselves or another with the firearm. If they hurt themselves buy you satisfied secure and safe storage by approved equipment then you are exempt.