View Full Version : Shipping Handgun on Private Sale

01-14-2010, 4:04 PM
After having spent too much time searching past threads, I thought it best to just be specific on my question regarding shipping a handgun to a California buyer in another city.

As I understand it, I can ship vis UPS to the buyer's FFL, unless that FFL requires shipment to come from another FFL in which case I need to pay a DROS fee and do the paperwork on my end which then goes with the gun to the buyer's FFL (whew!)

I have checked with two shops locally and they both say it must go from FFL to FFL (which I believe to be wrong, but no surprise). One wants $35 + shipping, the other wants $50 + shipping.

Question is: Would I, in fact, be better off using an FFL on my side so the DROS paperwork is done for my end of the transaction, and what should I expect to pay for such a transfer outside of the shipping costs?

01-14-2010, 4:22 PM
Shipping a firearm means it is not a PPT.
Since, it is not a PPT, a CA FFL dealer can charge any amount to do the transfer.
Also, since the handgun is being shipped, it needs to be on the approved list.

01-14-2010, 4:34 PM
send a PM to Jack whose handle is "ke6guj" -- he's not a lawyer but can probably answer your question.

Two important pieces of data are

Is it on the CA roster?
Is it defined as C&R as being able to prove it is greater than 50 years old