PDA

View Full Version : Just shot my first Colt 1911A1...

copperhead
01-14-2010, 12:56 PM
And I kinda regret buying my Glock 23 .40 cal. Don't get me wrong, the Glock 23 is a great gun, but I seem inherently more accurate with the 1911A1 the first time I shot it, where as with the G23, I needed to get used to the snap and re-aiming....

Oh well, I'll get one eventually.:rolleyes:

One of the few drawbacks with purchasing a .45 is the expensive/shortage on ammo, so I've heard. Can anyone confirm that? And are there any other major or minor complaints with the 1911? I also heard Taurus makes a good copy.....

nitrofc
01-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Sell me your 23 and problem solved!

Blue
01-14-2010, 1:04 PM
Sell me your 23 and problem solved!

Yup!

bigchelis
01-14-2010, 1:05 PM
Do you have a picture?

I want to see if it is the old design that doesn't have a beaver tail, tactical trigger "kimber style", and if the sights are old design.

I always thought about a old Colt, but after checking how much it cost to modernize them...OUCH.:eek:

Congrats on getting the original the one and only 1911.

Gio
01-14-2010, 1:07 PM
Nice! If you really want your own 1911 I say sell your G23, or start saving up for a 1911 of your own ;)

-Gio

Ducman
01-14-2010, 1:09 PM
I always thought about a old Colt, but after checking how much it cost to modernize them...OUCH.

Why get an Old Colt and do this??? Sacrilage !!:chris:

Barbarossa
01-14-2010, 1:11 PM
Damn I'm really itching to fire mine now.:43:

Black Majik
01-14-2010, 1:14 PM
Why Glock vs. 1911?

It should be Glock AND 1911. Have both! :biggrinjester:

copperhead
01-14-2010, 1:15 PM
Why Glock vs. 1911?

It should be Glock AND 1911. Have both! :D

I agree....and I really do like the G23. I just don't have the money right now to have both I guess. How much more are .45 cartridges than .40? I usually only buy in bulk from shows.

I'll probably start saving up for one...but it will be awhile, and I'm not patient lol

GunNutz
01-14-2010, 1:18 PM
And I kinda regret buying my Glock 23 .40 cal. Don't get me wrong, the Glock 23 is a great gun, but I seem inherently more accurate with the 1911A1 the first time I shot it, where as with the G23, I needed to get used to the snap and re-aiming....

One of the few drawbacks with purchasing a .45 is the expensive/shortage on ammo, so I've heard. Can anyone confirm that? And are there any other major or minor complaints with the 1911? I also heard Taurus makes a good copy.....

.45 ammo can usually be found as of late, but it is often overpriced and in less abundance than .40. I would go with Kimber or maybe a Springfield, rather than the Taurus.

bigchelis
01-14-2010, 1:19 PM
Why get an Old Colt and do this??? Sacrilage !!:chris:

I know what you saying, but Dam that Jardine Customs website makes me think otherwise.:D

copperhead
01-14-2010, 1:20 PM
Do you have a picture?

I want to see if it is the old design that doesn't have a beaver tail, tactical trigger "kimber style", and if the sights are old design.

I always thought about a old Colt, but after checking how much it cost to modernize them...OUCH.:eek:

Congrats on getting the original the one and only 1911.

@bigchelis-I'll find a picture of it tomorrow....it's on my laptop at home.

@nitrofc-I might just take you up on that. Any info on your 1911?

cineski
01-14-2010, 3:09 PM
Completely agree. Very different platforms for very different uses.

Why Glock vs. 1911?

It should be Glock AND 1911. Have both! :biggrinjester:

Jonathan Doe
01-14-2010, 3:17 PM
That is how I ended up with 7 1911 model pistols. Don't even know what to do with it.;)

hnoppenberger
01-14-2010, 3:18 PM
you regret buying one gun after another? you've much to learn.

soon, you'll see guns for what they are, and realize you need alot more.

eggfriedrice
01-14-2010, 4:02 PM
There are some interesting comments in this thread if you read them closely. I've learned and owned my Glock 19 for about 10 years and have just recently picked up a Smith and Wesson 1911 PD as well to add to the family. You should define what role your gun purchase is and let it fullfill that to its fullest. If you don't have enough money now you could always get something more basic like the Springfield Milspec 1911 and then upgrade as you see fit. There are many paths to getting what you want, go step by step if you need to. The Glock is a good around gun that is reliable. Good to have around and will go bang when you need it to.

I think it's important not to get hung up on what you didn't get with what you bought. If in the end the gun is just not for you, then get rid of it... I personally don't believe in getting rid of something because it may serve another purpose in the future. But you will have to make that call for yourself since you are the one that has to be happy in the end.

Whatever your choice, and you really end up shooting a lot, this hobby has a lot of options. You could always start reloading ammo and save money if you do end up shooting that much. There's an answer for everything, just up to you how you want to go about handling it.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

B Strong
01-14-2010, 4:14 PM

Unless you get into tuned Glocks (Top quality aftermarket everything) there is really no comparison at any level between a good quality 1911 and any Glock.

Having said that, I carry a Glock.

Ubiquitous. They don't raise eyebrows in the same way a Baer or Wilson or similar pistol will, even with a BarSto and an aftermarket trigger.

I've got many great 1911's in the safe, but a 35 at work and a 21 on the nightstand.

Snapping Twig
01-14-2010, 4:46 PM
Got bit didja?

Every pistolero needs a 1911 in their quiver.

No other pistol feels like old slab sides. Some can't abide by it, others find it sublime.

In the FWIW dept...

The .40 mimics the .45 by velocity, whereas the .45 mimics nothing - it IS a .45.

Further, while the .40 more or less red lines the pressure to achieve its goals, the .45 is a low pressure round and is uniformly easy on brass if you reload. The chamber on a Glock is infamous for not completely supporting the case head and there are those that say after firing the brass is NFG and a one shot proposition.

Additionally, if you like to shoot lead, all save for certain HK models have traditional rifling, not polygonal rifling, and are therefore able to safely accept cast and swaged lead bullets. Lead in a Glock is verboten.

People will agrue this till the cows come home, but the factory sides with my statement.

rabagley
01-14-2010, 10:26 PM
To solve the case support and the lead bullet issue and increase your accuracy a little all at the same time, drop a lone wolf barrel into any stock Glock for $120 shipped (I strongly prefer the blind marking option to the default markings).

ChrisTKHarris
01-14-2010, 10:28 PM
1911s are the shizz.

CABilly
01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Unless lightning strikes while you're at Wal-Mart, expect to get boned on .45 ammo. You can buy reloads, reload your own (pricy to get started), look for "deals", etc.. Any way you slice it, acquiring relatively inexpensive .45 is a bit of work.

That said, if you like the 1911 (and who wouldn't?), hunting for ammo to feed it is a fun side game worthy of your time.

Synergy
01-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Ammo will still rise over time. This is why I reload and all my handguns are one caliber, .45acp. Its drops my overhead and makes it that much easier and cheaper. I am sure there are lots of guys on here that will help you out and even let you use their equipment to get started. Straight wall handgun calibers(9,40,45, etc) are the easiest to learn on.

As for a 1911 the gun speaks for itself, going on 100 years old and still a modern art marvel. You best bet for getting into the 1911 arena is a Rock Island Armory-Tactical. Right around 500 and worth every penny. Durable, well built and accurate.

nickvig
01-14-2010, 11:48 PM

You can't compare .40 and .45. .40 is a higher pressure load and in a polymer framed gun it will have a lot of snap and recoil. You will probably be more accurate with a 1911 in comparison as there is less felt recoil due to the heavier frame and slower bullet.

.45 runs about .35-.50 per round right now. Big 5 sells Remington and others for $26/box of 50. Walmart WWB runs $34/box of 100 if you can find it. .45 in stores is very hard to find right now. Guys seem to be stockpiling as I haven't seen any in a store for months.

Taurus guns are okay, but it's not a Colt. Colt is one of the few production guns with very few MIM parts. Kimbers, Springers, Taurus, Sig, 1911 style pistols have a majority of MIM parts, where new production colts only have about 3 MIM parts.

Did you buy a 1911 or just shoot one? There's a plethora of info here on the platform if you're still deciding on what to get.

The current production 'old' design you refer to is the 1991 model. The series 70 guns aren't on the CA list, so the WWI, WWII, and Series 70 Repros aren't available in stores in CA. If you like or want the old style, the 1991 is it.

You can make a Colt 1991 look like a Kimber easily. For Colt to do the Model "O" package it runs $375. That includes a dovetail front sight, novak rear sight, de-horn, S&A Beavertail, and a refinish. Basically makes it look like a souped up Kimber with much better parts, IMO. Various gunsmiths can do this work as well, but I've never priced it out.

I found this on a Google image search. This is a model o package on a Colt Commander 1991:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/chatoisaliar/standard3.jpg

If you don't want to do the upgrade to a 1991, Colt also does the XSE series of 1911's which IMO, is their answer to Kimber. Beavertail, front slide serrations, lightweight trigger and lightweight hammer. Great gun for MSRP of $973 for SS. I think Turner's is having a sale on the blued versions right now.

http://lipseys.com/eImages/COO1070XSE.jpg

Colt-45
01-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Go with what your heart desires. If I were you I'd have both.

Colt 1911's are the #1 reason I hate the Ca gun roster:censored:

vta
01-15-2010, 12:45 AM
unless you are LEO, Taurus 1911s are not on the roster so forget about them. They are good for the price. Just like everything else Taurus makes.

cineski
01-15-2010, 8:04 AM
Agreed, which is why if I ever get another 1911, it'll be a 9mm version or the Colt dedicated 22 from years back. It'll only be a target gun, and why spend big bucks on ammo when you're just going to the range?

Unless lightning strikes while you're at Wal-Mart, expect to get boned on .45 ammo. You can buy reloads, reload your own (pricy to get started), look for "deals", etc.. Any way you slice it, acquiring relatively inexpensive .45 is a bit of work.

That said, if you like the 1911 (and who wouldn't?), hunting for ammo to feed it is a fun side game worthy of your time.

turbochris
01-15-2010, 8:09 AM
Agreed, which is why if I ever get another 1911, it'll be a 9mm version or the Colt dedicated 22 from years back. It'll only be a target gun, and why spend big bucks on ammo when you're just going to the range?

spoken like a wise man. everytime I want to shoot my 1911's ammo is always unavailable or priced way too high. I hate to say it but I miss the days brass cased 45's were 18.99 a box

beerman
01-15-2010, 6:37 PM
if I could only keep 1,it would be the 1911,45. Yes there are others I love(P226 comes to mind) but the colt gets the nod. As for ammo...check craigs list or ebay and buy an old single stage press and learn the other half of the shooting hobby.I cant tell you what ammo costs.....but I can tell you how much powder and primers are goin for.

beemaze
01-16-2010, 8:15 AM
I've got a few Glocks and a few 1911's.

True. Stock Glocks are not that accurate. Still, I like them because they make good home defense / personal defense weapons that I like to call throw aways. If you ever get into a situation where you would have to use it, it will be confiscated by the LEO in charge, electropenciled by a lab tech, and thrown around from one person to another while the investigation is going on. By the time you get it back, it won't be the same Glock, but it will probably not look too bad either. That tenifer finish can take alot of punishment. If you don't get it back, you could always just buy another.

Hell yea, 1911's are more inherently accurate! My wife kinda hates the Glock now after she shot a few rounds out of one of my 1950's vintage 1911's. It's like night and day! OTOH, 1911's (in particular the Colts) are way more expensive, the finish is more delicate, and frankly I'd hate for some PD to **** with any of my 1911's. I use them only for target shooting.

In short, you can't go wrong with a Glock or 1911. By them all while you still have time :)

Ducman
01-16-2010, 9:51 AM
you can't go wrong with a Glock or 1911. Buy them all while you still have time

Best advice I've heard so far.

Stax
01-16-2010, 10:16 AM
I see .45 most of the time nowdays. A 1911 is a must have.:)