PDA

View Full Version : California LEO AW Letterhead purchase

gwallace1
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Ok prior to writing this I searched every related thread and still could not find an answer to my question: Here goes...

Which law (if any) specifically requires a LEO whom is purchasing an AW on department letterhead to purchase said AW from an approved California AW dealer. The way I have read it it appears that the LEO could purchase the AW from anywhere as long as it is registered within the 90 day window with DOJ. Any help in clarifying this is appreciated.
Just for reference I will soon be purchasing on letterhead as well as my father...both LEO's.

Thanks in advance

bwiese
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
1.) All AWs sold in CA must be sold thru a CA FFL with AW permit.

2.) DOJ appears not to allow LEOs to get letters and reg their OLLs as AWs and then add features/remove the maglock. (This may well be underground regulation.)

gwallace1
01-14-2010, 1:44 PM
Sorry, just to clarify.- A LEO purchase does not require any fixed mags, mag capacity or restriction on length etc. When purchased on letterhead the AW is not limited, it must only be registered. Short story my cousin a Lt. on a large city SWAT team purchased an AR from a Texas dealer with letterhead. they were going to ship it to an authorized AW dealer in CA to complete the transaction. DOJ informed my cousin that he could not do this that he had to purchase the AW, specifically from a CA AW dealer. He requested the law (Section and all) to back up their statement. They just told him that they require it and would not complete the AW registrations unless the purchase was from an approved CA AW dealer. Long story short he complied but as of this date I cannot locate the section/code or any written documentation specifically requiring this when the purchase is done with department letterhead.

sorry for the long rant, just trying to see this clearly.

GW

shooting4life
01-14-2010, 1:51 PM
just trying to see this clearly

There's the problem, nothing about gun laws in California is clear.

wildhawker
01-14-2010, 2:04 PM
Not sure I understand you here.

First you say

they were going to ship it to an authorized AW dealer in CA to complete the transaction

then

DOJ informed my cousin that he could not do this that he had to purchase the AW, specifically from a CA AW dealer.

If that CA FFL w/ AW permit takes it into inventory, what would have precluded the transfer out of his inventory?

Are you saying that DOJ was said to require the CA AW dealer to handle the funds for the transaction as well as the firearm?

Sorry, just to clarify.- A LEO purchase does not require any fixed mags, mag capacity or restriction on length etc. When purchased on letterhead the AW is not limited, it must only be registered. Short story my cousin a Lt. on a large city SWAT team purchased an AR from a Texas dealer with letterhead. they were going to ship it to an authorized AW dealer in CA to complete the transaction. DOJ informed my cousin that he could not do this that he had to purchase the AW, specifically from a CA AW dealer. He requested the law (Section and all) to back up their statement. They just told him that they require it and would not complete the AW registrations unless the purchase was from an approved CA AW dealer. Long story short he complied but as of this date I cannot locate the section/code or any written documentation specifically requiring this when the purchase is done with department letterhead.

sorry for the long rant, just trying to see this clearly.

GW

gwallace1
01-14-2010, 4:14 PM
Sorry for the confusion...I am trying to tell a second hand story..So my understanding is that prior to the gun being shipped from Texas to a CAL AW dealer my cousin was speaking with DOJ about the registration process. At some time during his talks with DOJ they informed him that they would not register the firearm unless he bought it from an authorized CA AW dealer...In his case he had already paid the dealer in Texas...so it would not have been a simple inventory issue. So with this...where does it say in writing that a purchase authorized by LEO letterhead has to be from a licensed AW dealer? Why can't a LEO buy from whomever he/she wants if it is properly registered once it enters the state? Hope this makes sense...I know the laws don't!

B Strong
01-14-2010, 5:05 PM
Not to thread jack, but could a California LEO w/ agency approval and a love letter purchase a California R-R registered AW?

bwiese
01-14-2010, 5:06 PM
Not to thread jack, but could a California LEO w/ agency approval and a love letter purchase a California R-R registered AW?

Yes. LEO AW registration is not restricted to SB23 guns, and applies to all AWs. Plenty of LEOs have "Colt AR15"-marked rifles (Category I).

B Strong
01-14-2010, 5:09 PM
Yes. LEO AW registration is not restricted to SB23 guns, and applies to all AWs. Plenty of LEOs have "Colt AR15"-marked rifles (Category I).

PPT the RAW through a Ca. AW dealer, right?

jamesob
01-14-2010, 6:44 PM
PPT the RAW through a Ca. AW dealer, right?

yes. there were a couple of guys that i worked with at the p.d that purchased from each other and registered them with the doj and somehow did it without going threw an a.w dealer.

eta34
01-14-2010, 6:51 PM
yes. there were a couple of guys that i worked with at the p.d that purchased from each other and registered them with the doj and somehow did it without going threw an a.w dealer.

Yes...here is my knowledge of the situation. Once the rifle (RAW) is registered through DOJ, one officer can sell the RAW to another without going through an FFL. DOJ has a form that must be completed and sent in, along with a letter from the agency head.

matrix056
01-14-2010, 7:09 PM
mr. wallace I am jealous, my department does not allow individual AW purchase. :(

RP1911
01-14-2010, 7:35 PM
Um. where does an AW dealer get his inventory from?

Either from out of state dealers, distributors or manufacturers or from individuals selling their RAW to the AW dealer.

Texas dealer sells or transfers rifle to your AW dealer. AW dealer collects sales tax. That should satisfy the law.

DedEye
01-14-2010, 8:22 PM
Sounds like the DOJ doesn't understand that concept RP.

From the second hand info provided, I'll just blame the DOJ employees for ignoranceand move on.

CavTrooper
01-14-2010, 8:33 PM
Yes...here is my knowledge of the situation. Once the rifle (RAW) is registered through DOJ, one officer can sell the RAW to another without going through an FFL. DOJ has a form that must be completed and sent in, along with a letter from the agency head.

Thats interesting and doesnt seem right.

Can LEOs tranfer non-AWs without using an FFL as well?

gwallace1
01-14-2010, 8:34 PM
Yeah sorry about the less than concise information. Either way, for whatever reason the AR was required to be purchased here in CA. Thanks for all the replies...hopefully CA can straighten out their gun laws...jk we know that will never happen.

El Gato
01-14-2010, 9:05 PM
I appreciate the info here...
several of the officers in my dept. will complete a POST Rifle/carbine instructor course in a couple of weeks and the Chief will be issuing the first letters...
looking at a Colt 6940...
can't wait...

gwallace1
01-14-2010, 9:09 PM
El Gato...keep me updated on whether or not your dept orders in CA from an AW dealer or if they go out of state...Curious to hear other stories and directions taken. Thx in advance.

El Gato
01-14-2010, 9:17 PM
El Gato...keep me updated on whether or not your dept orders in CA from an AW dealer or if they go out of state...Curious to hear other stories and directions taken. Thx in advance.

It will Indv. officer purchase... will likely be using one of the local guys who has had his AW license app in for about 8 months.. expects it in about 3-4 weeks...which is in our timeline....

We will be cleared to buy based upon a need perceived by the chief to train our officers who do ride alongs or backup reg. leo's... We have about 130 armed Deputy Probation Officers... so we are going to give it a try... just got a new Chief and he used to actually be one of the range staff...
finally getting a baton in a few weeks too... work alone and have no backup alot...
so we are breathing a breath of fresh air...

sjpd
01-14-2010, 9:32 PM
130 armed Deputy Probation Officers... Sheesh, only 24 DPOs are armed in my Dept.

Sgt Raven
01-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I appreciate the info here...
several of the officers in my dept. will complete a POST Rifle/carbine instructor course in a couple of weeks and the Chief will be issuing the first letters...
looking at a Colt 6940...
can't wait...

You know a Colt 6940 is a OLL? :rolleyes:

ke6guj
01-14-2010, 10:35 PM
You know a Colt 6940 is a OLL? :rolleyes:it may be OLL, but without the love letter, he can't go detachable magged with the evil features.

El Gato
01-15-2010, 8:23 AM
it may be OLL, but without the love letter, he can't go detachable magged with the evil features.

exactly...

going to SHOT next week.... will look around there too...:43: