PDA

View Full Version : S&W SW9VE 9mm, Ruger SR9 or Used Sig p226 9mm

natomasboy
01-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi everyone,

I need your opinion for my next gun purchase. I only own 1 gun and it's a Sig p229R. I honestly thought I would just own 1 gun and that's it.. but as most of you have experienced one is never enough.

Having shot others I really fell in love with the Sig Classic P-series. I'm looking in particular for a 9mm and came down to three:

S&W SW9VE 9mm
Ruger SR9
or Used Sig P226 (Law Enforcement training pistol)

The p226 is well-worn but feels smooth, barrel in good shape, and slide has minimal lateral movement.

When making purchases I rarely buy used and hesitate in purchasing a used gun.

Thoughts?

for2nato
01-14-2010, 1:48 PM
well with the trade in you should expect to toss in a few more dollars for spring replacement and general maintaining to get her back up to top shape.
the s&w is supprisingly a very durable and overall good gun to shoot. only complaints have been with rough triggers. and you can send it to smith and it comes back like butter.
ruger makes work horse pistols. the sr9 is a new design. and for ruger its their first striker fire pistol ever. so with that being said. you should really look hard around the net for detailed reviews before buying it. but if its anything like all the other ruger pistols. it will outlast you.

i would personally steer clear of the sig. but only for the fact its a trade in. sigs are great guns.
between the sigma and the sr9. my choice would be the sr9. and thats comming from somebody who is going to buy a sigma. but only after i have the sr9

Old Timer
01-14-2010, 1:51 PM
I consider the SW9VE one of the best deals on the market today. However, if you can get a used SIG for around the same price, by spending a little on already mentioned upgrades, you will have one of the best all-round pistols in the world. If your choice is between the SW, Ruger, and SIG, all other things being equal, go for the SIG! :)

pingpong
01-14-2010, 2:12 PM
Since you already have SIG, I'd go for the Ruger SR9. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and you probably won't like the heavy trigger on the Sigma very much given you've been spoiled by the 229 :p.

natomasboy
01-14-2010, 2:17 PM
How well does the Ruger SR9 handle reloads? My 229 eats anything that I've given it so far. How are the chamber tolerances on the SR9?

Thanks

liketoshoot
01-14-2010, 4:31 PM
Run from the sigma, just my .02

slik556
01-14-2010, 4:53 PM
Where will you be getting the 226 from? Some of the police trade ins are not on the list. So if you are not a LEO or getting it from a PPT then you may have trouble... I got an SR9, and it is ok but the first time I shot it the trigger pin fell out after about 45 rnds. Not a bad pistol but I would never take a SR9 over a Sig 226.
Again check that you can get the Sig and if you can than I say Sig all the way.

matrix056
01-14-2010, 7:38 PM
+1 more for the Sig. German precision. Keep an eye on the following website, they will be recieving Zurich PD P226's in 9mm in Early Feburary, price depending on condition:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226-9mm-used.html

slik556
01-14-2010, 7:59 PM
+1 more for the Sig. German precision. Keep an eye on the following website, they will be recieving Zurich PD P226's in 9mm in Early Feburary, price depending on condition:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226-9mm-used.html

Again, like I said before, since these are older German Sigs I have a feeling that they will not be on the DOJ's list..These have folded carbon steel slides and that model is not on the list... A few months ago when these started showing up here we went through this same thing with J&G sales and Action over the 226. Some how some buyers got one and some didn't. I guess all up to the ffl but who knows.

Saym14
01-14-2010, 8:04 PM
used SIg

Salter77
01-14-2010, 8:14 PM
No sigma...the SR9 is a cool pistol. Anyone ever consider an EAA Witness EZ9? Great gun for the price.

natomasboy
01-14-2010, 8:18 PM
I'm amazed the folks would still choose a used sig over a new Ruger SR9? I'm a fan of Sigs but they are really that good huh?

River City Gun Exchange I believe has some LEO 226s. Popeye has mentioned he still has some left so I've been saving up for one. A new SR9 is cheaper than a used Sig 226 in 9mm but I'm leaning towards the Sig again.

oghl888
01-14-2010, 8:36 PM
Among your listed choices, Sig 226 would be my pick by a big margin.

matrix056
01-14-2010, 9:01 PM
SR9's are cheaper for a reason....

natomasboy
01-14-2010, 9:09 PM
SR9's are cheaper for a reason....

Aside from the name brand isn't manufacturing cost of polymer frames (Ruger and SW) cheaper than the metal frames of the p229?

matrix056
01-14-2010, 9:14 PM
Heck, get both! here is one for $265. This guy is CA friendly

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Ruger_9mm__265.html

slik556
01-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Heck, get both! here is one for $265. This guy is CA friendly

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Ruger_9mm__265.html

Except he wants an SR9 or a Sigma in the Rugers and ^^^ aint either...:(

Old Timer
01-15-2010, 6:39 AM
I'm a fan of Sigs but they are really that good huh?Yes, they are. Would I choose a used BMW over a new VW? Yes. :)

kduly
01-15-2010, 6:46 AM
The Sig P226 gets my vote. Great & PROVEN sidearm. And same platform & controls... VERY accurate & fun to shoot. GL.

tbhracing
01-15-2010, 7:29 AM
OP- My thoughts-

1. I always own 2 pistols. The full-sized one is for HOME defense and the medium or smaller one is for travel and /or back up. Since you have the P229, you are half way there and I would go with the P226.

2. I hate Ruger, never liked them and too heavy.

3. Sigma? If you buy one, we are no longer friends. I hate Sigmas and they are junk.

Sice note- Maybe consider a Glock 19? They make a great all around weapon and I use them to teach people how to shoot. Always a nice side piece to a collection.

Hope that helps.

natomasboy
01-15-2010, 8:23 AM
tbhracing,

3. Sigma? If you buy one, we are no longer friends. I hate Sigmas and they are junk.

that bad huh? I've looked at glocks & shot glocks and I am convinced they will outlast your kids' kids but I've never been able to feel comfortable with them. they don't point right for me.

tbhracing
01-15-2010, 8:39 AM
tbhracing,

that bad huh? I've looked at glocks & shot glocks and I am convinced they will outlast your kids' kids but I've never been able to feel comfortable with them. they don't point right for me.

I would not even take a Sigma for free. Sorry, never.

ZombieTactics
01-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I have a Glock17, a RugerSR9 and a SpringfieldXD40. The Glock is an great gun, and the Springfield has the best trigger (IMHO), but the Ruger is my favorite. It shoots great and feels perfect in my hand. The only thing I don't like is the stiff magazine release, but then again I have yet to accidentally drop a magazine, so maybe its a good thing.I hear the Sigmas are good reliable guns but that the trigger is double-action only, like a revolver. That would take some getting used to, but it's pretty inexpensive so maybe it's worth it for a reliable gun.

golfrj
01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Buy what YOU like, You Know what you want.. That being said the 226 and 229 are very much alike SO maybe some plastic is in order (But not the Sigma) how about a Sig 2022? Your favorite brand, light, versatile and will hold it's value... But again you know, we don't.... Have Fun, Jim:D

natomasboy
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Golfrj,

Yes I have considered the sp2022 in 9mm and the reviews seem to be very good. I would like to shoot the sp2022 first but none of the ranges in Sacramento offer it as a rental.

Holding and taking apart the sp2022 it certainly looks like Sig quality and the balance is comparable to my 229 but closer to a 226 due to the full-frame size. Any owners of the Sig p2022 in 9mm?

for2nato
01-15-2010, 1:55 PM
OP- My thoughts-

1. I always own 2 pistols. The full-sized one is for HOME defense and the medium or smaller one is for travel and /or back up. Since you have the P229, you are half way there and I would go with the P226.

2. I hate Ruger, never liked them and too heavy.

Sice note- Maybe consider a Glock 19? They make a great all around weapon and I use them to teach people how to shoot. Always a nice side piece to a collection.

Hope that helps.

you ever seen a sigma go kaboooooom?
you show me that and then well talk about what guns are junk. sounds like we got our selves a gun snob here. the sigma is one of the best guns for the money today. just the fact that you came in so objective with your "i hate ruger" comment says alot. fact: ruger makes a quality firearm at a fair price point. dont believe me then talk some trash on the 10/22 rifle and get flamed by almost every gun owner in the world. its a staple gun for kids to learn to shoot. it hasnt gotten that rep cause its a junk gun. and i have owned many ruger pistols. havent had a single issue with any of them. they always shot any ammo. in any condition. and never even required a break in for reliability. and i havent seen one kb like soooooooooooooo many glocks that you refered too above. so to the op. take that with a grain of salt. all 3 of your choices will be fine guns.

pingpong
01-15-2010, 2:24 PM
I would not even take a Sigma for free. Sorry, never.

If one ever falls into your lap, I'll take it off your hands. :D.

fw190fan
01-15-2010, 4:02 PM
I'm amazed the folks would still choose a used sig over a new Ruger SR9? I'm a fan of Sigs but they are really that good huh?

River City Gun Exchange I believe has some LEO 226s. Popeye has mentioned he still has some left so I've been saving up for one. A new SR9 is cheaper than a used Sig 226 in 9mm but I'm leaning towards the Sig again.
To be honest, some of the most sought after Sigs are older incarnations of the P-series. Especially those made entirely in Germany. There is nothing wrong with a used P226. Just do your homework and inspect the gun before buying. Also, I'd be willing to bet most people would choose a used P226 before a new SR9 if the prices were similar.

natomasboy
01-15-2010, 4:32 PM
I suppose when I bought my 229 I based my decision primarily from a friend who is a big "gun guy" and happens to be in LE and loves his Sig 226. I had the money so I spent it. Little did I know just how highly praised Sigs are.

So if someone can speak technically to the superiority of Sigs that people are willing to purchase used Sigs to other similarly priced NEW guns that would help me. What exactly about the Sig makes it so darn good? I personally like the feel and that heavy slide makes shooting my .40sw wonderful. It just fits MY hand very well.

I think most of us can speak subjectively of how well they fit in *our* hands, how well they shoot with *us*, etc..

Can someone speak objectively to how they are built, engineered, superiority of materials, etc.. compared to others?

Thanks

tbhracing
01-15-2010, 6:00 PM
sounds like we got our selves a gun snob here.
Yes, nailed it, I admit to being a gun snob.

If one ever falls into your lap, I'll take it off your hands. :D.

No way, I will just trade it for another SIG, GLOCK or ammo. :)

Old Timer
01-16-2010, 7:04 AM
The problem is not gun snobery. The problem is gun stupidity! What works for you works for you. What works for me works for me. The rest is irrelevant.

Opinions are like armpits. Everybody has a couple of them, and most of them stink. :)

natomasboy
01-16-2010, 7:40 AM
Opinions are like armpits. Everybody has a couple of them, and most of them stink.

I just found my new tagline.

Old Timer
01-16-2010, 4:37 PM
I just found my new tagline.LOL! You are welcome to it! :D:D

C_1
01-16-2010, 7:39 PM
Get the one that you like. Its all preference. Maybe hit up the range and shoot them to see which one you like better.

The Ruger SR9 is a fairly new design and its not too bad. The S&W Sigma is not bad either, but the trigger is a little rough/heavy. Cant really go wrong with the Sig. If it looks good, and not too worn out, get the Sig, and replace the springs and whatnot.

Plus, if you go with the Sig, you have commonality with your "old" gun.

bigthaiboy
01-17-2010, 1:09 AM
I can only speak about the S&W Sigma, as I don't have first hand experience with the SR9 or the Sig, so it would be unfair to make a comment.

The Sigma is a great gun for the money especially with the $50 S&W rebate which is running until the end of April 2010, BUT it is an acquired taste. The trigger pull is long and heavy (11-12lbs pull), because it is designed this way for added safety (a trigger actuated draw bar, pushes directly on the firing striker, both cocking, and firing the gun with one stroke. This means it cannot ND if dropped), because it is a DAO trigger it would probably suit people who enjoy shooting DA revolvers and are used to a heavy long trigger pull. The newest guns have lost the roughness/ grittiness the earlier production guns may have had.

It is however, a very reliable pistol. The Sigma was never designed to be a target pistol, but as an entry-level combat / LE pistol, so don't expect target pistol accuracy.

kpw001
01-17-2010, 11:50 AM
It is however, a very reliable pistol. The Sigma was never designed to be a target pistol, but as an entry-level combat / LE pistol, so don't expect target pistol accuracy.

+1 I completely agree.

I have a Sigma and love it. Keep in mind the complaints about the gun are directed toward the 1st and 2nd generation Sigmas. The current 3rd generation VE models are vastly improved. I've had mine for 3 years and I've got almost 4k rounds through it without any issues.

Also remember, if you are looking for a gun with lots of options for accessories, this is not it. The Sigma is a basic gun, no bells and whistles. It goes bang when you need it and that's about it.

abusalim81
01-17-2010, 12:10 PM
S&W SW9VE and Ruger SR9 are not that great even though some people like them... Sig gets my vote! (Smoother trigger, better finish and Sig quality is through the roof)

bigthaiboy
01-17-2010, 3:42 PM
S&W SW9VE and Ruger SR9 are not that great even though some people like them... Sig gets my vote! (Smoother trigger, better finish and Sig quality is through the roof)

Kind of like comparing apples and oranges. A new Sig cost double that of a new Sigma. I know people who dislike the ergonomics, or don't shoot well, with Sigs.

I think the OP needs to try handling / shooting all three pistols in this list and evaluate which pistol suits his needs / price point best.

BNuge
01-17-2010, 5:25 PM
I would go with the Sig especially if it is a police sale, most of those go back to the factory for retuning and are then sold to the public. Does it have a blue band around the handle?

slik556
01-17-2010, 6:17 PM
I would go with the Sig especially if it is a police sale, most of those go back to the factory for retuning and are then sold to the public. Does it have a blue band around the handle?

No they don't. If the Sigs I got came from the factory on a refurb. then they are the sloppiest bunch I have ever seen... My police trade in P228 had what amounted to a giant ball of bellybutton fuzz in the hammer. The ones that go back to the factory are the ones that have the red band around the grip..CPO... If the gun has a blue band around the the grip it is a new Sig...