PDA

View Full Version : Pro-2A, Chapman Law Dean John Eastman to consider run for AG

steadyrock
01-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I read about this in the OCR the other day, but haven't seen it posted here yet. Speculation, but I'm seeing it in print more and more which is usually a good sign.

(http://orangepunch.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/11/ca-attorney-general-race-heats-up/15759/)

With the assumed candidacy of Jerry Brown for governor of California, Democrat and Republican candidates are lining up to run for his seat–one particularly encouraging potential candidate is Chapman Law School Dean, John Eastman.

Several candidates have thrown their names in the hat for the Democrat’s nomination for AG. The most prominent are former LA City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo; Kamala Harris, San Francisco District Attorney; Chris Kelly, a former Facebook executive and former aide to President Bill Clinton; Ted Lieu, CA assemblyman from the 53rd district; Pedro Nava, CA assemblyman from the 35th district; Alberto Torrico, Majority Leader of the State Assembly. If I had to make a bet on the winner of the Democratic nomination today, I’d put my money Kamala Harris or Ted Lieu.

On the Republican side, State Senator Tom Harman was for a long time the only candidate in the playing field but today, Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley formed a campaign exploratory committee over the weekend to run for the AG post. His announcement comes on the heels of blogosphere rumors over the weekend that John Eastman, Dean of the Chapman Law School and a former law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was also thinking about jumping into the fray. After I made a few calls, it seems like some very political heavy hitters nationally and in the state are encouraging Dean Eastman to run.

I’d like to see him run too.

It's worth noting, that Dean Eastman is also the founding Director of the Claremont Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence (http://www.claremont.org/projects/projectid.31/project_detail.asp) and has filed an amicus brief (http://www.chicagoguncase.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/08-1521tsaccenterforconstitutionaljurisprudence.pdf) in support of McDonald.

bwiese
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I believe Chuck Michel is an adjunct prof at Chapman as well.

But sad to say, Eastman prob doesn't have the money Harris or Lieu have/can get.

Kamala Harris is tied in to the Obamas, esp thru Tony West (big fundraiser) - and a ton of Hollywood $$$.

steadyrock
01-20-2010, 12:29 PM
And it's official as of today:

John Eastman, dean of the Chapman School of Law, on took out papers Tuesday to run for state attorney general this year. The conservative constitutional law expert will be vying with state Sen. Tom Harman, R-Huntington Beach, and possibly others for the Republican nomination.

Among Democrats eyeing the seat are San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris, L.A. City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo, and Assemblymen Ted Lieu, Pedro Nava, and Alberto Torrico.

(http://totalbuzz.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/20/chapman-dean-joins-attorney-general-race/28511/)

luvtolean
01-20-2010, 7:28 PM
It would be a really good thing...be interesting to see how his fundraising goes.

Tack
01-27-2010, 11:56 PM
I donated to Eastman's campaign after I skimmed Eastman's McDonald amicus brief. I asked my family and friends to do the same. I think Eastman as AG would do as much as the NRA could do. I gave accordingly, and I'm a lifetime NRA member.

Tack

Alaric
01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Chapman, good school with a good name. Never met a Chapman I didn't like.

steadyrock
06-06-2010, 8:49 PM
This needs a bump. Eastman is solidly pro-2A and needs our votes for AG next week!

thebronze
06-06-2010, 8:53 PM
This needs a bump. Eastman is solidly pro-2A and needs our votes for AG next week!

Absolutely he does!

doon41
06-06-2010, 8:59 PM
Can anyone steer me to some advice on HOW TO VOTE?
This is for District 15 State Senator seat, special election Tuesday to fill the vacant seat.
Candidates: Fitzgerald, Hinkle, Laird (NO), and Blakeslee.

I suppose Laird has it sewed up but I still want to vote for the most pro-gun guy. Who?

7x57
06-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't know how Eastman's fundraising went, but he apparently got enough to leave a message on my phone today. Oddly enough, the candidate who filed a McDonald amicus called while I was taking the wife to shoot a bunch of handguns at Raahauge's. :D

7x57