PDA

View Full Version : Is this upper worth the price of admission?

TonyNorCal
12-22-2005, 8:27 PM
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=DSARGTC16&storeid=1&image=GTCupper.gif

Any of you have feedback on this improved system?

bu-bye
12-22-2005, 8:31 PM
I think any quality upper from bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River Arms, Colt will function just as well as that system and for half the price. I'm planning on getting a Rock River upper.

Gunner1
12-22-2005, 9:07 PM
I shot one almost a year ago at a LEO demonstration, I was definately interested at the time but I was told that the cost would be about $750.00 for the upper as shown in your pic. To be honest i would gladly pay $750.00 for one as it is a really cool setup. But $975.00 puts it over the top.
I guess if you manage to get one of the receivers we are all excited over you may as well go overboard and try one out.
Personally I dont have any issues with a decent standard AR upper. Hell I have a few built with M&A parts sets and love em.

Gunner

saki302
12-23-2005, 1:50 AM
If you're looking to spend a grand on an AR upper, I've read that a lot of guys LOVE their 'LMYT' (I think) ones. Go to AR15.com and read up on them until you never want to read about an AR again..

-Dave

Mute
12-23-2005, 8:26 AM
Not a necessity, but it works well and it does stay damn clean compared to a normal AR.

delloro
12-23-2005, 8:31 AM
how much are the HK piston uppers?

Stanze
12-23-2005, 8:32 AM
That's neat, but one thing that a "gas-op" system usually offers that the DSA upper doesn't is eliminating the buffer tube so you can use a true "folding stock" for a shorter overall length like the Olympic Arms OA-93.

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/4097/oa93a9ax.jpg

DrjonesUSA
12-23-2005, 8:55 AM
how much are the HK piston uppers?

I'm interested in that one too. :)

Anyone have any ideas?

What is that model called? I forget...

BigAL
12-23-2005, 9:29 AM
I'm interested in that one too. :)

Anyone have any ideas?

What is that model called? I forget...

The HK416.

And the real question you should be asking is where can I get an HK piston upper? They are not selling to civilians right now. Whether or not they ever intend to market it to civilians is up in the air as well. A select few uppers were sold (I think they went for well over $2K each and didn't even include the HK diopter sights). They were supposedly sold after LEO or military purchased them and decided they didn't want them so the uppers were "surplused". The lowers were machineguns and could'nt be sold to civilians anyways. Word was (this may be rumor so take it with a grain of salt) that HK got so pissed that these uppers were sold they demanded the uppers back (willing to pay buyers) or that the uppers would be reported stolen. I don't think HK had a legal leg to stand on and these few uppers are still in civi hands. Last I heard some guy on HKPro is offering $3500 for an upper, so looks like the price has gone up.

If you really want a piston upper I would suggest Leitner-Wise. They are a small company though and there is a huge backlog on deliveries of thier piston system, which is arguably better than HK's. So if you decide you want one you better get in line now, cuz it'll be many months before you see anything.

The other thing you have to think of about piston uppers is replacment parts, as a lot of this stuff is proprietary and there is only 1 source for parts. On the other hand I can get an AR-15 gas tube just about anywhere.

BigAL
12-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Folding stocks while cool looking and compact are usually very uncomfy when acually firing. They tend to suffer from poor cheek weld and overly long lengths of pull. The worst I've ever handled was an underfolder AK, which was borderline un-aimable. The FN SCAR is supposed to have a stock that both folds and collapses and has adjustable cheek weld but that's another discussion.

berg
12-23-2005, 10:20 AM
That piston upper is made by POF. How much is it directly from them (not DSA)? Here is a review: http://www.ar15reviews.com/POF.htm

akjunkie
12-29-2005, 1:10 PM
www.pof-usa.com

dont know if its american made or not.. i recall their H&K G3 parts made under license in Pakistan.