PDA

View Full Version : Legal to ship firearms?

himurax13
01-14-2010, 6:41 AM
Is it legal for me to ship firearms to a private party? Here is the hypothetical scenario:

I plan on visiting a friend out of state. Instead of dealing with airport security, I decide to mail my firearms to my friend. Is this legal or will I have to mail it to his local FFL and have him pick it up? What would be the procedure to send it back to my house once I leave there?

liketoshoot
01-14-2010, 6:52 AM
Tagged.
waiting to hear.

Suvorov
01-14-2010, 6:53 AM
You can NOT ship your firearms to a friend (this would essentially be a transfer). What you CAN DO, is ship your firearms to yourself at your friends address. This is legal per BATFE, however I understand people have had problems with the shipping company. Remember, that you can NOT use the USPS for this purpose unless you are an FFL.

That said, I wouldn't worry about dealing with airport security. I fly with firearms all the time (more than monthly) and it has never been an issue.

liketoshoot
01-14-2010, 7:00 AM
Suvorov, I'd be worried that the firearms would not arrive, and would be in some baggage handlers home. Don't the cases have to be marked?

Suvorov
01-14-2010, 7:03 AM
Suvorov, I'd be worried that the firearms would not arrive, and would be in some baggage handlers home. Don't the cases have to be marked?

Per recent law, they can NOT place identification marks on baggage that contains a firearm. That said, it still happens, plus if you ship in a rifle case, then there is little question to the ramper what is in the case. I'm not going to say it doesn't happen, but it is very rare and I'm not so sure that the workers at UPS (Fed Ex does seem to hire a little better class of folks) are any more trustworthy.

himurax13
01-14-2010, 8:32 AM
So I can send it in a fedex box addressed to myself at my friends address? What are the additional steps to send my firearm? Will I need a locked container? Will I need to declare what is in the case and what the serial #'s are?

When I fly nowadays, I only use a carry on.

Flintlock Tom
01-14-2010, 8:48 AM
So I can send it in a fedex box addressed to myself at my friends address? What are the additional steps to send my firearm? Will I need a locked container? Will I need to declare what is in the case and what the serial #'s are?

Yes, you simply send it "in care of" (ICO) you friend's name. The firearm must be unloaded and you must notify the shipper that it is a firearm. They are not permitted to put any markings on the package which would indicate that it contains a firearm.
If I were doing it, I would remove some vital part like the bolt and bring it with me. At the very least I would lock the firearm in some way.

Suvorov
01-14-2010, 8:51 AM

I tried to find the ATF link for you, but it seems they have changed their server around. Just google "shipping firearms to self" and you can find a lot of information. I'm not sure of the specifics about shipping, but I would assume it no different than if you were shipping a firearm to an FFL or Gunsmith.

As far as flying with the firearm, you will need a hard side container and a NON-TSA lock. I know you are disgusted with air travel hassles, but unless you are shipping a lot of firearms, I think it would save you a lot of trouble to just fly with the firearm (even if you have to pay a $20-30 checked bag fee). You will have to get there a little early to check your firearm, and wait 20 minutes to claim it, but this is not any more than it will take you to ship the firearm.

Best of Luck.

Suvorov
01-14-2010, 8:53 AM
If I were doing it, I would remove some vital part like the bolt and bring it with me. At the very least I would lock the firearm in some way.

Good for security,

The problem there is that he would need to check that part in his luggage, thus defeating the whole purpose of not checking a bag.

himurax13
01-14-2010, 9:10 AM
Good for security,

The problem there is that he would need to check that part in his luggage, thus defeating the whole purpose of not checking a bag.

Exactly. :D

ap3572001
01-14-2010, 9:15 AM
You can NOT ship your firearms to a friend (this would essentially be a transfer). What you CAN DO, is ship your firearms to yourself at your friends address. This is legal per BATFE, however I understand people have had problems with the shipping company. Remember, that you can NOT use the USPS for this purpose unless you are an FFL.

That said, I wouldn't worry about dealing with airport security. I fly with firearms all the time (more than monthly) and it has never been an issue.

So I can ship a pistol to my parents in Chicago , TO MY OWN NAME? Like to myself? Right?

FedEx Al
01-22-2010, 2:01 PM
This is FedexAl. Here's a link that can help you with any questions you have about shipping firearms through FedEx: http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

Decoligny
01-22-2010, 2:31 PM
So I can ship a pistol to my parents in Chicago , TO MY OWN NAME? Like to myself? Right?

Only if it is legal for you to possess the pistol in Chicago.