PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 1911's

detcord
01-14-2010, 2:27 AM
simple poll amongst calgunners, if youve had an issue BEYOND the first 500 rounds, you may post the issue and what may be causing it/your solution to fix the problem or had kimber remedy it for you,(turnaround time would be helpful), or have been left to your own means by the company.

Those that have not had issues I would appreciate it if you just voted but did not post. this is a thread purely devoted to defects to help people having problems.

happy_gunner
01-14-2010, 8:22 AM
My Kimber CDP II Custom had a FTF once every hundred round or so when I just got it used, changed out the old mags(some brand I never heard of) for new KimPro Tac mags and a couple of Wilson combat, and problem solved, haven't had a FTF FTE and now it's been about 2000rds.

Juice5610
01-14-2010, 8:46 AM
I bought a kimber warrior off a calgunner a couple of weeks ago and he said he had shot 500rds through it, I've put 700 more through it since then with no problems using 6 wilson combat 47d mags I bought, the seller also included 1 kimber mag which also fed fine. A couple of buddies and I have a private range up in burrough this saturday where I plan on shooting 1,000 more rounds through it. I'll post back on here sunday and let you all know how it went. I"ll take pics but be forewarned I'll be using a crappy Iphone camera.

EDIT: I voted worked great no problems.... subject to change.....hopefully not!

DougJ
01-14-2010, 8:54 AM
I have a Custom II and Pro Carry II, both have been just about perfect, although not many rounds through either of them yet.

The Custom II is an Iraqi Deployment commemorative and I don't shoot it alot, just a few hundred rounds so far. The Pro Carry has about 1200 rounds through it at this point.

They both have consumed Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ, WWB 230 gr FMJ, WWB 230 HP, 230 gr RNL handloads, and 200 LSWC handloads.

As a new reloader, I started at the very bottom of the load charts so some of the hand loads have been kinda soft, and the Pro Carry only ejects those a couple of feet. I did have a test batch of 230 gr RNL that was a bit long and a test batch of LSWC that was to light for the Pro Carry, so I would say the 2 or 3 FTRB's and the one stovepipe in the Pro Carry are reload related and not the gun.

They are both extremely accurate also.

Here's a pic of the Custom II:

vantage
01-14-2010, 8:57 AM
Bought a Kimber TLE/TL II (external extractor) around 2005/2006 and thousands of rounds later have never once had a problem. Two friends liked it enough to buy their own (both internal extractors) and have never reported any problems either.

I'm currently weighing a commander size and wouldn't hesitate to go back to Kimber.

Millions-Knives
01-14-2010, 8:59 AM
Kimber Gold Match II per my avatar.
It's seen about 2-3k rounds. It jammed 3-4 times through the first 400 rounds during break-in.

Legasat
01-14-2010, 9:02 AM
I have shot several that are owned by friends, and all had zero problems.
I did shoot one rental Kimber that had problems (probably hadn't been cleaned in a loooooong time. I believe most Kimbers will work well and last a long time. But because I have never owned one, I did not vote.

DarkHorse
01-14-2010, 9:25 AM
For some reason my Warrior II doesn't like CMC PowerMag magazines. The first round nosedives every time.

I've switched to KimPro mags, and it's been fine since.

dav
01-14-2010, 1:41 PM
You don't have an option for:
Had some hiccups, still has them - never contacted Kimber

My issue may be fixed now. Not shooting as much due to expense, so am not sure yet. I think it may have simply been an extractor issue. I've replaced it and have not had a problem in the 50 rounds since (hardly conclusive). I'm at around 1,000 rounds. It used to have both chambering and extraction problems, probably 2 or 3 per 50.

Juice5610
01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I bought a kimber warrior off a calgunner a couple of weeks ago and he said he had shot 500rds through it, I've put 700 more through it since then with no problems using 6 wilson combat 47d mags I bought, the seller also included 1 kimber mag which also fed fine. A couple of buddies and I have a private range up in burrough this saturday where I plan on shooting 1,000 more rounds through it. I'll post back on here sunday and let you all know how it went. I"ll take pics but be forewarned I'll be using a crappy Iphone camera.

EDIT: I voted worked great no problems.... subject to change.....hopefully not!

Well I had a blast yesturday! Lots of shooting, my Kimber worked great!!!! Out of 1000 rounds I had 1 FTF and 2 FTE. I'm VERY happy with my Kimber..... One of the highlight shots of the day for me was when I hit a bowling pin at 100yrds with my warrior on the 3rd shot:43: here's a pic of it

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af349/Juice5610/0bf364c9.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af349/Juice5610/057e0eab.jpg

I'm one happy camper as they say!

butch952
01-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I had some FTF's and extractor clocking issues I resolved it by tuning the extractor,replacing the firing pin stop with a WC bullet proof and a 18.5# recoil spring it is now very reliable.

emc002
01-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Kimber Ultra CDP II didn't like non-crimped rounds and had FTF issues, occasional FTE issues.
Had a gunsmith polish up the internals a bit, that seems to have taken care of the problem.

aklon
01-17-2010, 4:20 PM
I had a Tactical Pro II and never had a problem with it. When I got the Warrior II, it was evident from the first magazine that I had to have the feed ramp polished. Once that was done, the pistol functioned flawlessly, every time.

BNuge
01-17-2010, 6:36 PM
I've had a Kimber Custom CDP II for two years with over 5000 rounds through it, the lock up is still great and it shoots in the same ragged hole at fifteen yards when I'm on. My only complaint was that out of the box it shoots 4 inches high at fifteen yards. I've shot other Kimbers that shoot point of aim which I would prefer but never contacted Kimber. I feel that they make great pistols.

t001
01-17-2010, 7:17 PM
+1. Just haven't gotten around to fixing it. FTFeed/Extract every so often. Probably pretty simple to fix.

You don't have an option for:
Had some hiccups, still has them - never contacted Kimber

My issue may be fixed now. Not shooting as much due to expense, so am not sure yet. I think it may have simply been an extractor issue. I've replaced it and have not had a problem in the 50 rounds since (hardly conclusive). I'm at around 1,000 rounds. It used to have both chambering and extraction problems, probably 2 or 3 per 50.

Viper49
01-17-2010, 8:44 PM
I like both my Kimber (Gold Match and Custom II TLE) just not much on those plastic flat MSH. Change to steel. The Kimber Gold Match shoot just as well as my Wilson Springer.:D

Sumo99
01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
My TLE RL II front night sight turned pink. It only took a week to fix. I also need to change out the recoil spring about every 500 rounds or I start to have FTE's/FTF's. I can feel a slight difference in the recoil so I know when it's about time to change the spring.

Also, it didn't like Blazer ammo with the aluminum cases.

9mmepiphany
01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
i've had one that had some feeding problems and i found it easier to have my local smith handle it than send it back to the factory...you need to weigh the cost of postage against what your smith charges.

when Kimber came on the market, they made a huge statement as to what owners could get from the factory at a reasonable cost...they changed the 1911 market. Kimber has done a great job of marketing their product. i believe they discovered that most of their customer base would never put enough rounds through their guns to tell the difference between them and other 1911s.

most of the Kimber's faults wouldn't be apparent until you get beyond 25k rounds

the_donald_
01-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Hardware: Custom II

The only hiccups I've ever had is because of faulty ammo fails (I.E. bullet too far pressed into casing or crimped casing).

Only ever had to replace the recoil spring and the slide stop. Recoil = self explanatory. The slide stop replacement was because of a Wilson Combat Extended slide stop that I put on there because I thought it looked tactikewl, the actual extended portion broke off. Replaced it w/ OEM slide stop.

9mmepiphany
01-19-2010, 5:31 PM
Results at 7 Yds:

that isn't bad after one handed shooting, i'll bet you could tighten that up by cleaning up the trigger and fitting the barrel :rolleyes:

lazs
01-20-2010, 2:23 PM
I have fired about 5,000 rounds through my custom eclipse in 45 acp.

It did not have any failures in the first 500 rounds. It did not have any failures since. It is the most accurate 45 most people have ever shot.

Oh wait.. only if we have problems? the grip screws loosen up a tiny bit every 1,000 rounds or so. I put stag grips on it and haven't had any problems lately tho.

Also.. it failed to feed a factory round once.. no other 45 I have tried would feed that particular round tho. It was too fat to chamber.

turbochris
01-20-2010, 2:26 PM
Ive had ftf. changed out the mag for kimpro tacs. works great

liketoshoot
01-20-2010, 5:06 PM
CDP II and about 600 rounds through it, only problem is ammo, not enough of it.
It runs great wet, sloppy wet!

B Strong
01-20-2010, 5:27 PM
Kimber Tactical Pro II.

Failures to feed from round #2 using known good Wilson magazines. Would eject empties straight back into my face. Magazine release binding in the receiver.

Ran a total of 500 rounds through the gun, fighting it all the way, before contacting Kimber and sending it back. Kimber replaced the ejector and the magcatch

When it was returned, it failed to feed once again from the first magazine.

I replaced the recoil spring with a 22lb unit iirc, and that got the piece to it's longest string of fire w/o a failure to feed - 80 rounds before FTF again.

I sold the piece to a fellow calgunner (Mlatino) with full disclosure of defects.

I have a TLE/RLII and a Pro Carry HD in .38 Super that have both run 100%.

nosmatt
01-20-2010, 9:32 PM
I voted no probs, but that was a lie!!!!

:(

sorry!

the proble, the two Kimber stock mags are ****, I have tossed them, and forgot untill after I voted...

The shooting star mags I bought @ CTD (I think I have 8 now) have never had a FTF, the stock Kimbers mags, had an FTF after ever mag change it seemed, lol!!!

After tossing the Kimber mags (thanks calgunners!) This thing is flawless. I am now worried about replacing the ejector, because this is my daily carry, and I have a ton of rounds thorugh it. (MIM parts)

Can I swap this out with a NON MIM part? I want 10k round between changes :D

Sumo99
01-21-2010, 8:44 AM
I am now worried about replacing the ejector, because this is my daily carry, and I have a ton of rounds thorugh it. (MIM parts)

Can I swap this out with a NON MIM part? I want 10k round between changes :D

Check out Ed Brown and Wilson Combat (I mention these just because I know they have ejectors). Many of the MIM parts can be swapped out. Some will drop right in, some may require minor fitting.

glockman19
01-21-2010, 9:46 AM
Of the 5 Kimbers I've had, I sold my Custom II I only had minor issues with my Pro Carry II...Sent it back to Kimber and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

John R
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Kimber TLE II. During the break in of 500 rounds the slide failed to go forward enough to lock (twice) and had to be pushed closed. After around 2000 ejector became loose so I replaced it with an Ed Brown part and has run perfectly since. Overall, a great pistol.

wayno
01-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Wife shoots a Covert Ultra Concealed Carry. Lots of ftf/fte until she stiffened her forearm, than not so much. After first 1000 rounds the rearmost rivet in the safety assembly loosened up, and the safety would jamb. The armorer at Gunsite replaced with a lower safety (ladies) and it has now backed out as well. Harry at Bullís-eye tells us that the safety loosening up is not uncommon.

Accuracy seems fine for a 3" barrel. Just bought her an Eclipse Pro so as soon as wait is up, the Ultra goes back to Kimber to have the safety reworked.

If there is a recommendation for a Bay Area gunsmith for the safety issue, I'd like to hear it.
I didn't vote as this is "in the works".

dadoody
01-27-2010, 5:42 PM
Bought my Kimber TLE/RL II used from PistolCrocket earlier last year.

Never any problems. Ever. Not one FTF or FTL. Accuracy was dead on. Paid around 800 and got 4 mags with it. I can't stress enough how great of a gun this has been.

The only changes I've made to it was to order some external extractor springs from Wolff Springs Company. Although, I had no problems with extraction, a lot of people complained that they started getting problems with externals after 1500rounds. Apparently, the original spring was too weak, so Wolff addressed this by selling longer stronger springs.

Still never a FTF or FTL. Love this thing :)

kajvid
01-27-2010, 5:49 PM
We own 4, all series II. Not a single issue on any of them. None. Not a thing.

WileyWilly
01-27-2010, 7:14 PM
I have two, no problems with either.
WW

tiko
01-27-2010, 8:40 PM
My Kimber Raptor got no fail for 1000 rds.

xbimmers
02-11-2010, 8:50 PM
My Kimber TLE II rocks!

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2010, 9:10 PM
Classic with maybe 5K through it and a Pro CDPII with over 25K rounds through it. The CDPII did go back to Kimber after about 25K rounds with a broken hammer, loose plunger and two stripped out grip screw bushing. Of course, Kimber fixed it all for free and they even replaced my night sites free of charge!

NineteenElev3n
02-11-2010, 9:14 PM
Compact and Ultra CDP II:

Both had problems with the slide release, which made both guns FTF and/or FTE. Called Kimber Customer Support, and they sent me slide releases that were honed down. After these were replaced, the guns worked flawlessly.

NavDoc
02-12-2010, 7:05 AM
My Tac Custom II has been great. However, I had a Stainless Target 10mm that would not reliably feed reloaded ammo. Sold it.