PDA

View Full Version : Good/Fair Bay Area shop?

JakiChan
01-13-2010, 9:19 PM
So I'm getting closer to being ready to get my first handgun. And the decision is the P226/9. (Gonna go handle it to make sure I like how it fits.) So now the question, where in the Bay Area to purchase? I want a fair deal. Doesn't have to be rock bottom but I don't wanna get ripped off like a n00b. (Oh wait, I'm a n00b. Fail.)

Is this a gun that is usually in stock? Should I expect them to have to order it?

kozumasbullitt
01-13-2010, 9:23 PM
Give ugi imports a shot.

Jaiofspam
01-13-2010, 9:25 PM
city arms in pacifica!!! talk to uncle v or dimitry :cool:
http://city-arms.com/

ChrisTKHarris
01-13-2010, 9:28 PM
The Sig P229 and P226 are very common Sigs. Most stores will have them, but some times you might have to order it. Expect to pay around $800 for a good deal and as much as $950 at more expensive shops.

I picked mine up for $750 on sale here in Sacramento in December. :)

spike spiegel
01-13-2010, 9:29 PM
Bullseye Castro Valley. Good prices and very nice people.

pingpong
01-13-2010, 9:45 PM
If you can find it on Buds, remember that you don't have to pay sales tax (although technically you're supposed to pay it when you file taxes). That'll more than make up the transfer fee's most FFL's will charge you.

For instance, P226 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/28/products_id/30564 or
P229R http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/28/products_id/50977

OTD, you can get them for $759+$25DROS+$40Transfer = $824. Lets say it costs the same at the store. OTD is roughly $759*1.09+$25 = $850. And that's *if* you can find it for $759 at a local store.

SJgunguy24
01-13-2010, 9:51 PM
Whats you location? The bay area is pretty big. The place with the best rock bottom prices is Merkells in Santa Rosa, wholesale LEO pricing for everybody.

car15
01-13-2010, 9:57 PM
Whats you location? The bay area is pretty big. The place with the best rock bottom prices is Merkells in Santa Rosa, wholesale LEO pricing for everybody.

Glock for 398.00 ?

JakiChan
01-13-2010, 10:18 PM

Sorry, good point. Peninsula/South Bay.

sorensen440
01-13-2010, 10:20 PM
J&R and Irvington arms are my top two but I have not had any problems with any of the bay area shops I have visited

JakiChan
01-13-2010, 10:20 PM
If you can find it on Buds, remember that you don't have to pay sales tax (although technically you're supposed to pay it when you file taxes). That'll more than make up the transfer fee's most FFL's will charge you.

I was wondering how that works. How does one go about finding an FFL to transfer it to? I can't imagine you just go in to a shop and go "Hey, I don't want to pay your inflated prices. I wanna buy off the internet and have it shipped to you." :)

ChrisTKHarris
01-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I was wondering how that works. How does one go about finding an FFL to transfer it to? I can't imagine you just go in to a shop and go "Hey, I don't want to pay your inflated prices. I wanna buy off the internet and have it shipped to you." :)

http://fflfinder.com/FFLSearch.aspx

JakiChan
01-13-2010, 10:29 PM
There's even one in Mtn. View. w00t Is it etiquette to let them bid on your business? I.e. "I can do it for $X - can you sell it to me for close to that?"

etaon
01-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Target Masters in Milpitas tends to have pretty good prices.

There are some FFLs who don't keep any inventory and only do transfers. These tend to have the cheapest transfer prices. Check out Roger's Relics or RMB Enterprises. Internet transfers are good because you can get exactly the gun you want (which is unlikely to be in stock at any given store). Also you'll often end up paying less, depending on how good of a deal you can find online.

Of course, if there's anything wrong with the gun, you can't just take it to where you bought it. But most manufacturers will fix it under warranty even if you bought it used, so that's not that big a deal. Sometimes, as a beginner you'll think it's broken, but either it wasn't really broken at all or the fix is something very simple that takes 2 seconds. In that case, having a place to take it to would be nice.

ColdDeadHands1
01-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Sportsmen's Supply in Campbell, right off 17 on Camden.
http://www.sportsmenssupply.com/

nagorb
01-13-2010, 10:47 PM
+1 for City Arms they usually have the best prices.

Bay Area Gun Vault is the one in mt view, they are cool guys and members here. The prices are usually on the expensive side though.

You can try to get it for cheaper. I figure sigs sell pretty fast so they might be less willing to deal. The way I figure is it cant hurt to ask.

pingpong
01-13-2010, 10:50 PM

Stores will usually still do the transfer because they'll charge between $75-$100 as a transfer fee (on top of the $25 DROS fee).

Kitchen table FFL dealers will usually charge a much lower fee given that they don't actually carry inventory. Roger's Relics in Santa Clara and Rob Blank (RMB Enterprises) in Milpitas both charge $40+$25 DROS. I'm not sure about RR, but the times I've gone through Rob he's never collected sales tax. His email is rmbent@aol.com, phone is 408-946-5289. Convenient location too (at least for me :)), literally right off 680 at Jacklin Rd.

EDIT: I guess RR charges $50+$25 DROS for handgun transfers. That makes RMB cheaper by $10 :).

ColdDeadHands1
01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
If you just need an FFL you can't beat Rogers Relics in Santa Clara. Kitchen table FFL (garage office actually) and very nice people. Last time I checked long gun transfers were $65 and handguns $75. These are out the door prices.

pingpong
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
J&R and Irvington arms are my top two but I have not had any problems with any of the bay area shops I have visited

For what it's worth, I've generally had to spend a little more at IA than at TargetMasters. TM also has a bigger selection. However, it takes over an hour more just to do the stupid paperwork at TM (they go above and way beyond what they actually need as far as the DOJ is concerned), and you have to wait forever to get manager approval signatures and verifications and all those sorts of things.

JakiChan
01-13-2010, 11:59 PM
It looks like Bay Area Gunvault only charges $10 plus the DROS fee. That sounds pretty awesome. :)

nagorb
01-14-2010, 12:02 AM
It looks like Bay Area Gunvault only charges $10 plus the DROS fee. That sounds pretty awesome. :)

You mean for a transfer? If that's true that would be awesome. But that is most likely for a ppt which is the max they can charge.

JakiChan
01-14-2010, 12:15 AM
You mean for a transfer? If that's true that would be awesome. But that is most likely for a ppt which is the max they can charge.

Ah, ok. I didn't know the two types of transfers were different. Like I said, n00b.

On their site here (http://www.bayareagunvault.com/pistols.php) I couldn't find anything that said what the fees would be for a dealer-to-dealer transfer or whatever the nominal term is.

pingpong
01-14-2010, 12:18 AM

That's only for FTF PPT transfers. By law, they can only charge a $10 fee for those.

Their internet/out-of-state fee is most likely $75-$125. I've never seen/heard of a stocking gun store in Norcal that charges less than $75 for the transfer fee. They want you to buy the gun locally from them, after all.

JakiChan
01-14-2010, 12:26 AM
So internet price + $75 is what I should try to beat locally?

SJgunguy24
01-14-2010, 12:30 AM
If you just need an FFL you can't beat Rogers Relics in Santa Clara. Kitchen table FFL (garage office actually) and very nice people. Last time I checked long gun transfers were $65 and handguns $75. These are out the door prices.

Satisfied Rogers Relics guy here. I heard RMB in Milpitas is good too. There is a sticky around somewhere for Cali FFL
If you ahev your heart set on a Sig, they have a factory refurbished deal, about $200 off the prices of a new Sig IIRC

pingpong
01-14-2010, 12:30 AM
So internet price + $75 is what I should try to beat locally?

More or less (rogers relics $75, robs $65). That includes the DROS. Don't forget to factor in tax and DROS for the local price too.

That being said, if it's just a difference of <$50, I'd go local to a) start building a good relationship and b) supporting your local shops. Of course, if they're a bunch of d-bags, I won't buy from them even if they're actually a bit cheaper. It goes both ways.

Keep in mind if you buy from Buds, unless you pay with a check or MO, they charge a 3% CC fee. On the bright side, the prices you see is the Delivered price, so it already includes shipping.

kozumasbullitt
01-14-2010, 12:33 AM

for ppt not ffl to ffl. i think they charge $75 or $100 now.

JakiChan
01-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Keep in mind if you buy from Buds, unless you pay with a check or MO, they charge a 3% CC fee. On the bright side, the prices you see is the Delivered price, so it already includes shipping.

Hrm. That's not cool. It's a violation of the Merchant Agreement.

pingpong
01-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Hrm. That's not cool. It's a violation of the Merchant Agreement.

I think they get around it because the price they show is a "cash discount price", which is less than their normal price (the price you would pay if you didnt pay with check or MO).

doughboy334
01-14-2010, 1:41 AM
I am also new to this buying online and shipping to a FFL phenomenon.

The gist of it is something like this right?

1. Find gun online
2. coordinate with FFL
3. buy gun online and give them FFL info
4. when gun is received by FFL come in and pay DROS + transfer fee
5. come back in 10 days and pick up firearm
6. ????
7. profit!

:p

pingpong
01-14-2010, 1:59 AM
I am also new to this buying online and shipping to a FFL phenomenon.

The gist of it is something like this right?

1. Find gun online
2. coordinate with FFL
3. buy gun online and give them FFL info
4. when gun is received by FFL come in and pay DROS + transfer fee
5. come back in 10 days and pick up firearm
6. ????
7. profit!

:p

Bingo. You might have to ask your FFL to fax over a copy of their FFL if the place you're buying from doesn't already have one on file (or if its an expired copy).

The cool thing is, for long guns, the FFL doesn't even need to take delivery before you DROS; you can literally walk in and walk out the day your long gun comes in (assuming you started your DROS at least 10 days prior).

I'm not sure what the policy is for handguns; at the very least the FFL would need the serial number, but I don't know if they have to actually have the handgun physically in their possession before starting the DROS process.

doughboy334
01-14-2010, 2:36 AM
Bingo. You might have to ask your FFL to fax over a copy of their FFL if the place you're buying from doesn't already have one on file (or if its an expired copy).

The cool thing is, for long guns, the FFL doesn't even need to take delivery before you DROS; you can literally walk in and walk out the day your long gun comes in (assuming you started your DROS at least 10 days prior).

I'm not sure what the policy is for handguns; at the very least the FFL would need the serial number, but I don't know if they have to actually have the handgun physically in their possession before starting the DROS process.

Cool thanks for the reassurance. This will help narrow down my search for a Colt/S&W 1917 revolver since I can be somewhat confident on Gunbroker now.

abusalim81
01-14-2010, 3:37 AM
Irvington Arms in Fremont, bullseye in Castro Valley. Absolutely the best shopes all around!!!

Stamatos
01-14-2010, 10:51 AM
J&R in the East Bay are really nice folks, right in downtown Livermore.

B Strong
01-14-2010, 5:34 PM
Irvington Arms, Jackson Arms, City Arms.

MarioS
01-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Irvington Arms has good prices on Sig's, better than most other stores around the Bay Area. I believe they are a master dealer also.

trendar5
01-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Irvington Arms has good prices on Sig's, better than most other stores around the Bay Area. I believe they are a master dealer also.

+1 You can buy a Sig at Irvington and their price will be lower than you buying the same gun on the internet, paying shipping, and paying the FFL transfer fee. I have done the homework. Irvington has great Sig prices......

Colt-45
01-15-2010, 12:43 AM
If you'd like to shoot it first, try Target Masters in Milpitas. Great customer service the only downside is that they have ALOOOOOOOOT of extra paperwork and their own safety test, your HSC card isn't sufficient it's like taking the HS test every time you buy a new pistol.

kf6tac
01-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Give ugi imports a shot.

I second this (assuming you're talking about UG Imports -- you have an extra "I" there in the name). This is one of those FFLs that doesn't keep inventory, but he has a number of distributors that he can take orders from and they usually ship firearms to him within a couple of days. Right now he's showing a Sig P226 in .40S&W on his site, but he'll look up just about any firearm that's legal for him to sell if you ask. And filling out DROS paperwork with him is some of the most painless DROS-ing I've ever done.

smarter
01-15-2010, 1:05 AM
Bought a gun last Friday at Target Master. It only took me 30min from the point I told them which gun, to the point when I walked out the door. Yes, there is extra paper work and secondary oversight by a supervisor/manager, but i'm sure it there to ensure accuracy of paperwork and such. Prices are pretty decent, if you factor in transfer fee+shipping, etc. when you buy online. On the plus side your helping a local business stay open, paying people wages, taxes (I hate tax, but it goes full circle). I find more benefit sometimes to buy local than on internet, unless of course the shop is just plain ripping people off.

epic4444
01-15-2010, 2:00 AM
J and R is the best shop in the bay, by far

epic4444
01-15-2010, 2:01 AM
Targetmasters is a joke, i would support a little more community based shop than them, but to each there own.

dfletcher
01-15-2010, 8:15 AM
If you drive from just south of SF down 101 you'll be able to visit, Tabors in San Bruno, City Arms in Pacifica, Irvington Arms in Fremont, Krausewerk in San Mateo, Imbert & Smithers in San Carlos, Gun Vault in Mountain View, TargetMasters in Milpitas, Reeds in ??? (just off 101 & Trimble) San Jose Gun Exchange in SJ and Sportsmans in Campbell. You should be able to work in Bullseye & Andreottis in Castro Valley, not too far out of the way.

Basically, start at City Arms in Pacifica, switch to 101 South and a few hours later end up at SJ/Sportmans & you've hit alot of gun stores.

jchen76@gmail.com
01-15-2010, 8:48 AM
Contact Dan at bullseye range in San Rafael. Dan made a great deal for my friend's p226 9mm.

MarioS
01-15-2010, 11:27 AM
If you drive from just south of SF down 101 you'll be able to visit, Tabors in San Bruno, City Arms in Pacifica, Irvington Arms in Fremont, Krausewerk in San Mateo, Imbert & Smithers in San Carlos, Gun Vault in Mountain View, TargetMasters in Milpitas, Reeds in ??? (just off 101 & Trimble) San Jose Gun Exchange in SJ and Sportsmans in Campbell. You should be able to work in Bullseye & Andreottis in Castro Valley, not too far out of the way.

Basically, start at City Arms in Pacifica, switch to 101 South and a few hours later end up at SJ/Sportmans & you've hit alot of gun stores.

Informative post. I would, however, personally recommend against Sportman's in Campbell because of the fact that one of the reps told someone an XDm was absolutely illegal to own in CA...not a store I want to deal with.

Soldier415
01-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Contact Dan at bullseye range in San Rafael. Dan made a great deal for my friend's p226 9mm.
Thanks for the referral. I'd be more than happy to work with you on your Sig purchase. We have an indoor range so you can try before you buy, and shoot your new gun the same day you buy it.

We also allow you to come back for "conjugal visits" during your new loved one's 10 day lockup at no charge for the lane.

Shoot me an email or a PM.

Dan

.40Cal
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
If you can find it on Buds, remember that you don't have to pay sales tax (although technically you're supposed to pay it when you file taxes). That'll more than make up the transfer fee's most FFL's will charge you. OTD, you can get them for $759+$25DROS+$40Transfer = $824. Lets say it costs the same at the store. OTD is roughly $759*1.09+$25 = $850. And that's *if* you can find it for $759 at a local store.

Not sure how the Math worked here... but I think if you get it from Bud's for 759. You would pay shipping on it (unless it's free), assume 30.00 (shipping). Your local FFL dealer here would charge about 100.00 for transfer. You might save Tax, but the transfer fee is enough to pay the tax. 25 DROS will be paid either way.... In the end, unless you're getting the gun online really cheap, it's cheaper to buy from local dealer...

MarioS
01-15-2010, 5:42 PM
Thanks for the referral. I'd be more than happy to work with you on your Sig purchase. We have an indoor range so you can try before you buy, and shoot your new gun the same day you buy it.

We also allow you to come back for "conjugal visits" during your new loved one's 10 day lockup at no charge for the lane.

Dan

Whoa, that is freaking awesome.

uglyal
01-15-2010, 6:17 PM
try Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View.

Joe Collins
01-15-2010, 9:31 PM

It also sounds pretty wrong as well.:mad:

dfletcher
01-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Informative post. I would, however, personally recommend against Sportman's in Campbell because of the fact that one of the reps told someone an XDm was absolutely illegal to own in CA...not a store I want to deal with.

I don't go there that often, I usually visit after SJGE and want to take 280 back north instead of 101 - much nicer drive. But I would give them a try especially if the "no XDm" report was 2nd hand. I figure everyone makes mistakes.

psango
01-16-2010, 11:12 AM
J&R Sports Livermore CA, very nice to deal with.

doctor_vals
01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
-1 or even more for City Arms.

Got toooo much trouble when want to pickup handgun after transfer from other state.
Any other store - Irvington Arms, Krausewerk, Gun Vault or Rogers Relics - YES, but not that jerk "uncle v" in City Arms.

Oh, btw, for a long time that store stay away from ANY OLL, they changed rules only when saw that other stores make money and they are not...
Stay away from them!

pingpong
01-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Not sure how the Math worked here... but I think if you get it from Bud's for 759. You would pay shipping on it (unless it's free), assume 30.00 (shipping). Your local FFL dealer here would charge about 100.00 for transfer. You might save Tax, but the transfer fee is enough to pay the tax. 25 DROS will be paid either way.... In the end, unless you're getting the gun online really cheap, it's cheaper to buy from local dealer...

Shipping is included in the price. If you're in the south bay you can get $65 transfer fee (including DROS) from Rob in Milpitas. So OTD = $759 + $65 vs $759*1.09ish + $25. That's assuming you can find it for $759 locally, too. From past experience I've been able to find guns on Buds for about $50-$100 less than the lowest price I could get from a dealer locally.

biga816
01-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Of the 2 shops I've bought from before, City Arms in Pacifica and Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View, I like BAGV better. Their customer service is downright awesome but some of their guns can be pricier than most shops....only some. I've seen some handguns priced close to that of City Arms a couple times.

When starting out as a firearm noob, I went to City Arms as it was closer and recommended by a friend but I grew tired of their rough demeanor and comments that seem quite offensive at times. (Just the 2 Russian guys....the other guys are ok.) Prices there are fair tho. Just a couple people I know have had bad experiences there with attitude besides me.

I'm gonna visit Golden Gate Arms sometime soon tho in San Bruno(?).

5150bronco
01-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Shipping is included in the price. If you're in the south bay you can get $65 transfer fee (including DROS) from Rob in Milpitas. So OTD = $759 + $65 vs $759*1.09ish + $25. That's assuming you can find it for $759 locally, too. From past experience I've been able to find guns on Buds for about $50-$100 less than the lowest price I could get from a dealer locally.

even though save money..., would that balance out for fees?

looking to do a transfer at rogers relics soon.

nagorb
01-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Of the 2 shops I've bought from before, City Arms in Pacifica and Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View, I like BAGV better. Their customer service is downright awesome but some of their guns can be pricier than most shops....only some. I've seen some handguns priced close to that of City Arms a couple times.

When starting out as a firearm noob, I went to City Arms as it was closer and recommended by a friend but I grew tired of their rough demeanor and comments that seem quite offensive at times. (Just the 2 Russian guys....the other guys are ok.) Prices there are fair tho. Just a couple people I know have had bad experiences there with attitude besides me.

I'm gonna visit Golden Gate Arms sometime soon tho in San Bruno(?).

I believe that GGA was known as High Bridge Arms located if SF, I guess they changed their name when they moved. I bought my first handgun from them and lets just say they weren't the most helpful, especially the Asian lady who works the gun shows.

pingpong
01-18-2010, 1:30 AM
even though save money..., would that balance out for fees?

looking to do a transfer at rogers relics soon.

The amount you save on sale tax at the time would pretty much more than cover the transfer fee (depending on how expensive the gun is of course). If the transfer fee is $40, a $450 gun shipped would allow you to break even on the fee. So in 95% of the cases, even if the guns are priced identically before fees, you end up paying less by purchasing online and paying for the transfer than buying locally and paying sales tax. On top of that, in general you can get better prices online (unless you find something on sale somewhere local)

Of course, if the difference is under $50 it's probably still better to just go get it locally to a) support your local shops and b) get more personal customer service (unless they shop is staffed by a bunch of dbags).

5150bronco
01-18-2010, 1:39 AM
The amount you save on sale tax at the time would pretty much more than cover the transfer fee (depending on how expensive the gun is of course). If the transfer fee is $40, a $450 gun shipped would allow you to break even on the fee. So in 95% of the cases, even if the guns are priced identically before fees, you end up paying less by purchasing online and paying for the transfer than buying locally and paying sales tax. On top of that, in general you can get better prices online (unless you find something on sale somewhere local)

Of course, if the difference is under $50 it's probably still better to just go get it locally to a) support your local shops and b) get more personal customer service (unless they shop is staffed by a bunch of dbags).

yes. i figured this out couple days ago.

doctor_vals
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Try Irvington Arms in Fremont.
For example
All Glocks at C-A in Pacifica in price range $550 - $599
And at I-A in Fremont same guns will be at $520 - $550
With tax on top of it - you may save some bucks for ammo.

biga816
01-19-2010, 2:21 AM
^^ Thx for the recommendation. I came across their website a cpl months ago and been curious about them. Also other Calgunners seem to like them. My cousin lives in Fremont off the Stevens Creek exit actually. Maybe the next time I go visit her, I'll leave an hour or so to drop by this place.

Dubels
01-19-2010, 1:09 PM
I haven't really had any problems with Targetmasters with looking at guns and the shooting range. In fact I am sure they usually go by the hour but during slow times they just tell me to stay in the range as long as I want unless they are really backed up. Usually when I stand by the display case someone walks up and ask if I want to see anything. I was looking to buy a used G19 they had their for around $400, but I held off. Their prices are really good but the only downside that I have noticed and others had already posted is their paperwork. I was there with someone who purchased a pistol. After the HSC test and all the paper work took well over an hour. Maybe that is just something you have to go through to save a few bucks.

5150bronco
01-19-2010, 4:15 PM
rogers relics good local shop to do transfers of weapons?

pingpong
01-19-2010, 4:17 PM
rogers relics good local shop to do transfers of weapons?

I heard they won't touch AR or AK pistols, but otherwise yes.

5150bronco
01-19-2010, 4:28 PM
I heard they won't touch AR or AK pistols, but otherwise yes.

okay. thinkin of doing shotty there and than transfering spikes lower there.....at same time.

Dubels
01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Well tomorrow I am going to make my big gun shopping journey through the Bay Area. I am a little antsy to get my Glock 17 after today so I will be going tomorrow instead of waiting for Tuesday for Jackson, and Irvington Arms. Today I failed because I didn't know UG Imports was a Kitchen FFL, and there was an accident at Target Masters. But tomorrow I will visit Bay Area Gun Vault, Kerely's, Sportsmen Supply, San Jose Gun Exchange, and maybe Target Masters. I will write up about my experience. I wish that I wouldn't have to travel 116 miles round trip but it might be a very rewarding experience. Maybe I will end up with a new Glock 17 or I might have to make round two of the trip and see Irvington and J&R.

5150bronco
02-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Well tomorrow I am going to make my big gun shopping journey through the Bay Area. I am a little antsy to get my Glock 17 after today so I will be going tomorrow instead of waiting for Tuesday for Jackson, and Irvington Arms. Today I failed because I didn't know UG Imports was a Kitchen FFL, and there was an accident at Target Masters. But tomorrow I will visit Bay Area Gun Vault, Kerely's, Sportsmen Supply, San Jose Gun Exchange, and maybe Target Masters. I will write up about my experience. I wish that I wouldn't have to travel 116 miles round trip but it might be a very rewarding experience. Maybe I will end up with a new Glock 17 or I might have to make round two of the trip and see Irvington and J&R.

that will be good to know. have not heard of kerley's though and curious about gun vault. know what is up with sportsman supply.:D

CharAznable
02-01-2010, 1:49 AM
Bay Area Gun Vault was really nice to me, had exact what I wanted (9mm P2000 v3) and gave me a good price. I'm pretty happy.

Dubels
02-01-2010, 4:18 PM
First stop Gun Vault: The place is not hard to find, but parking is limited. The shop itself is very small but it is well stocked with rifles, uppers, and some OLL lowers. Decent prices $589 for a Glock 17 RTF. They were packed when I got there so I didn't ask many questions but they were there to help and asked me if I needed anything. They had 3 guys working a small shop so you are bound to get help on things you want.

Kerley's: Awesome shop, very limited in selection of pistols but decent prices again. $599 for a Glock 17 but I would pay the extra $10 just because the workers there are so good with their service, no talking down to you or anything and willing to go over all the guns you are interested without a strong bias. They had a used USP 9mm for $870 that looked brand new. They had a lot of accessories in stock, but they were more of a long rifle shop. The service was superb, everyone in the shop was super helpful. They had some lowers on display in the front, I don't know if they were stripped but they were priced in the $250+ range w/o the pistol grip and buttstock. Parking and shop size were really good.

I skipped on Sportsman Supply because I was running out of time and it was out of the way.

Gun Exchange of San Jose: Nice service was greeted right when I went into the store. Two nice "guard dogs" out side of the store. Decent gun selection and reloading supplies, but no small pistol primers. They also had a USP 9mm for $870 but it seemed like it had more wear than the one at Kerley's. Used Glock magazines seemed a little high priced at @ $25.

Target Masters: Best prices of them all!! Brand new HK USP 9mm $836, cheaper than a used USP at Kerley's! They had some OLL configured guns on the side along with the taticool 22s. They had a nice Colt m4 .22 for $450 used. The Glock 17 was priced at $530. But to me the most interesting was a used FNP-9 for $400 with 3 magazines. It was an older version without the external safety. I would have bought it if it was a newer version with the rounded backstrap and safety. People have had problems with their service, but I was greeted by four different employees and had my questions answered by three of them. The only downside I see of this place is that their paper work does seem to take a long time. Happy Hour shooting from 10am-4pm would make this a place I would go if I was in the area.

Side Note: Walmart in Milpitas and Mountain View both had no pistol ammo but a good supply of .223 and shot gun shells.

CharAznable
02-01-2010, 5:03 PM
Side Note: Walmart in Milpitas and Mountain View both had no pistol ammo but a good supply of .223 and shot gun shells.

Was that today? I was gonna stop by on my way home. :)

Dubels
02-01-2010, 5:40 PM
Yes that was today

rromeo
02-01-2010, 5:44 PM

Dan

That is awesome.

5150bronco
02-01-2010, 11:21 PM
First stop Gun Vault: The place is not hard to find, but parking is limited. The shop itself is very small but it is well stocked with rifles, uppers, and some OLL lowers. Decent prices $589 for a Glock 17 RTF. They were packed when I got there so I didn't ask many questions but they were there to help and asked me if I needed anything. They had 3 guys working a small shop so you are bound to get help on things you want.

Kerley's: Awesome shop, very limited in selection of pistols but decent prices again. $599 for a Glock 17 but I would pay the extra $10 just because the workers there are so good with their service, no talking down to you or anything and willing to go over all the guns you are interested without a strong bias. They had a used USP 9mm for $870 that looked brand new. They had a lot of accessories in stock, but they were more of a long rifle shop. The service was superb, everyone in the shop was super helpful. They had some lowers on display in the front, I don't know if they were stripped but they were priced in the $250+ range w/o the pistol grip and buttstock. Parking and shop size were really good.

I skipped on Sportsman Supply because I was running out of time and it was out of the way.

Gun Exchange of San Jose: Nice service was greeted right when I went into the store. Two nice "guard dogs" out side of the store. Decent gun selection and reloading supplies, but no small pistol primers. They also had a USP 9mm for $870 but it seemed like it had more wear than the one at Kerley's. Used Glock magazines seemed a little high priced at @ $25.

Target Masters: Best prices of them all!! Brand new HK USP 9mm $836, cheaper than a used USP at Kerley's! They had some OLL configured guns on the side along with the taticool 22s. They had a nice Colt m4 .22 for $450 used. The Glock 17 was priced at $530. But to me the most interesting was a used FNP-9 for $400 with 3 magazines. It was an older version without the external safety. I would have bought it if it was a newer version with the rounded backstrap and safety. People have had problems with their service, but I was greeted by four different employees and had my questions answered by three of them. The only downside I see of this place is that their paper work does seem to take a long time. Happy Hour shooting from 10am-4pm would make this a place I would go if I was in the area.

nice to know. where is target masters. wow. that is a lot for 17. I paid like 450 new out the door 5 years ago. things have changed.

do you remember the price of 223?

Dubels
02-01-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't remember the price of the 223, sorry I dont have a gun in that caliber. But here is Target Masters' address and info:
122 Minnis Circle
Milpitas, CA 95035-3113
(408) 263-7468

biga816
02-02-2010, 12:10 AM
^^ I went there last Sat and yeah, no pistol ammo but had shotgun and rifle ammo. (Not just the usual birdshot).

5150bronco
02-02-2010, 12:42 AM
I don't remember the price of the 223, sorry I dont have a gun in that caliber. But here is Target Masters' address and info:
122 Minnis Circle
Milpitas, CA 95035-3113
(408) 263-7468

cool man. thanks. you local?

Dubels
02-02-2010, 1:07 AM
I am actually in Oakland but I prefer to travel south for my gun needs. I need to return to the area next week to pick up my G17 RTF. I will pay Irvington Arms a visit then to check out some extra supplies.

gotthelife4u
02-02-2010, 7:05 AM
Target Masters is a great shop. I have never had a single issue with them. Thats where I bought my first handgun from.

5150bronco
02-02-2010, 4:29 PM
Target Masters is a great shop. I have never had a single issue with them. Thats where I bought my first handgun from.

good to know. I am going to check them out and see whats up.

gotthelife4u
02-02-2010, 6:11 PM
good to know. I am going to check them out and see whats up.

Well I just picked up my Gun from them today. I went over just after 10 am and I was helped immediately. I was only in the place for 20 minutes or so. I think you will find they are a great store to shop with.

Dubels
02-02-2010, 7:45 PM
Awesome guys there, which gun did you buy? They usually have 3-4 guys working the gun sales area while two work the range/gun counter. 20 mins is a very short time, last time was with my friend to buy a gun it took him almost 2 hours to get everything done, but then again it was a little more busy.

gotthelife4u
02-02-2010, 7:48 PM
I got a XD-9. when I bought the gun it took about a hour to do all the paperwork and what not. Today when I picked up the gun it was very quick

5150bronco
02-02-2010, 8:08 PM
Well I just picked up my Gun from them today. I went over just after 10 am and I was helped immediately. I was only in the place for 20 minutes or so. I think you will find they are a great store to shop with.

thanks for your input. I talked with them on the phone about couple of things and they seem very chill.......... surprisingly......., compared to other shops.

I am going to go and pick up couple things tomorrow or thursday.

what did you end up getting and when you going shooting and where.

gotthelife4u
02-02-2010, 9:29 PM
I got a XD-9. I am going to shoot as much as I can but I am waiting for my online ammo delivery. I am going to try and get out to BLM land asap. I really want to break in my gun

Dubels
02-02-2010, 9:34 PM
An hour for paper work? Mind to share what you had to go through for the paper work? On Monday when I did my process for my G17, all I did was hand the person my proof of residency, HSC and fill out the DROS. The person that was helping me was filing out stuff on a computer while I was doing my DROS paperwork. That took a total of 20 mins. I want to know what extra stuff Target Masters does.

5150bronco
02-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I got a XD-9. I am going to shoot as much as I can but I am waiting for my online ammo delivery. I am going to try and get out to BLM land asap. I really want to break in my gun

where did you get your ammo? 9mil right?

gotthelife4u
02-03-2010, 7:16 AM
An hour for paper work? Mind to share what you had to go through for the paper work? On Monday when I did my process for my G17, all I did was hand the person my proof of residency, HSC and fill out the DROS. The person that was helping me was filing out stuff on a computer while I was doing my DROS paperwork. That took a total of 20 mins. I want to know what extra stuff Target Masters does.

Well when I was working on my DROS form the computer could not connect to the States web page thing. So they had to restart the computer and get the big boss out there to get it to work. I also B.S. alot with the Sales Clerk and asked a bunch of questions. One last thing I browsed for 20 minutes or so before I started the process. So if you add that all up it was about a hour.

gotthelife4u
02-03-2010, 7:20 AM
where did you get your ammo? 9mil right?

I put my first order with Cheaper than Dirt and got 250 rounds of American Eagle FMJ. Yesterday I placed an order with Cabela's for 600 rnds of PMC FMJ's. And yes all 9mm. If you can get it when its in stock my brother got 1000 rnds of American Eagle FMJ's in 9mm from Palmetto State Armory for about $250 shipped.

Dubels
02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
thanks gotthelife4u.

I went to Bulllseye Castro Valley yesterday and wow I was impressed with what they have done with the store. Very clean and friendly environment. Great service with a smile, employees made sure you had your question answers. Decent prices on guns, and decent selection of used guns too. I only picked up some cleaning supplies for my 9mm but will be back sooner or later for more stuff.

5150bronco
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I put my first order with Cheaper than Dirt and got 250 rounds of American Eagle FMJ. Yesterday I placed an order with Cabela's for 600 rnds of PMC FMJ's. And yes all 9mm. If you can get it when its in stock my brother got 1000 rnds of American Eagle FMJ's in 9mm from Palmetto State Armory for about $250 shipped.

that is not too bad. i just paid 200 at gun show and most sell for about 220.

Strpd_Up_Brotha
03-03-2010, 6:36 PM
BULLSEYE is a joke...I want to buy a XD Sub compact 40....he said 600 to 700:rofl2:

xtalpimp
03-03-2010, 7:00 PM
For what it's worth, I've generally had to spend a little more at IA than at TargetMasters. TM also has a bigger selection. However, it takes over an hour more just to do the stupid paperwork at TM (they go above and way beyond what they actually need as far as the DOJ is concerned), and you have to wait forever to get manager approval signatures and verifications and all those sorts of things.

Completely agree with this the paper work and approval drives me bonker at TM :willy_nilly:

5150bronco
03-03-2010, 9:29 PM
they rip you off....., just like gun exchange. 120 bucks for transfer......

what!!!!!!!!!:nono:

Soldier415
03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
BULLSEYE is a joke...I want to buy a XD Sub compact 40....he said 600 to 700:rofl2:
Glad you feel we are a joke.

Next time ask for me or PM/email me with what you are looking for. I always work with Calguns.

Can't be too much of a joke, doing 500+ guns a month. A large percentage of bay area residents don't mind paying a little more for a level of service that is above and beyond most shops (aside from the true believers of service in the bay area such as Irvington Arms, BAGV, PRK Arms etc)

TS77
03-11-2010, 8:33 AM
I know when I bought a pistol from TM YEARS ago, they only sell the pistols with one mag, even though it might come with two. That might make up for the price difference between other stores.

Ike Arumba
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I seem to recall from a previous thread that there are some Bay Area merchants who give a discount for Calguns members. Is that right? Who, if anyone, gives Calguns discounts?

Ike Arumba
03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I would, however, personally recommend against Sportman's in Campbell because of the fact that one of the reps told someone an XDm was absolutely illegal to own in CA...not a store I want to deal with.
Maybe it depends upon whom you get. The store owner spent quite some time with me going through supplier catalogs and giving advice past closing time. I think he was very knowledgable, helpful, and friendly.

0321jarhead
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM

"OVERPRICED"

nagorb
03-13-2010, 1:44 AM
"OVERPRICED"

Every time I compare prices with any of the other shops they're usually the lowest. Last gun I bought from them came out to be cheaper after dros and taxes than any shop before dros ans tax.

sa810
03-13-2010, 3:54 AM
City Arms gave me a fair price on a XD45 about a year ago.

Demonfart
03-13-2010, 11:16 AM
+1 for City Arms. I get how some people might not dig the 'attitudes' at this place, but to me it wasn't so much 'attitudes' as it was personalities. They aren't exactly your run of the mill gun store employees and I kind of like that about them.

Fair prices (I recently paid a hair over $700 for my new Walther p99 AS...not an easy gun to find these days either), good selection and a short drive from the finest city in the United States of America. What's not to like?

2Cute2Shoot
03-13-2010, 11:54 AM

I've been to City Arms in Pacifcia. They're really nice, but I didn't like the area too much:(