PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Armory 1911 GI or Tactical?

team1320
01-13-2010, 7:02 PM
hey fellas i've always wanted to own a 1911, but never thought i could afford one. so after my research i found that i can afford one thanks to RIA 1911's. so far everyone that i have read owns one or has handled one has nothing but good feed back about them. so my dilemma now is if i should get the GI model or the Tactical model since i want the tactical upgrades, but im wondering if i should just buy the GI and then upgrade it with all the 1911 upgrades available and make it custom to what i want it to look like or should i just buy the tactical model and leave it alone? im really leaning to get the GI to build it custom to my needs. i just wanted to see if people had this same dilemma and if they went custom and feel it was the best route? can anyone share there experience with this? cost of upgrades? labor? or is it a lot cheaper to buy the tactical model with everything already on it?

TIA

RockinCali
01-13-2010, 7:11 PM
Buy a tactical and be done with it. If you are going to do custom work, buy a Springfield GI or Mil Spec

team1320
01-13-2010, 7:20 PM
whats the difference between GI and Mil Spec?

team1320
01-13-2010, 7:22 PM
found this on google.. is this correct?

WWII GI Model:
small ejection port
low profile GI sights
lanyard loop on mainspring housing
vertical cocking serrations on slide

Mil-Spec:
stainless barrel and bushing
loaded chamber indicator
lowered and flared ejection port
high profile 3-dot sights
beveled magazine well
angled cocking serrations on slide

walter
01-13-2010, 7:54 PM
if you want a gun to upgrade. i would go springfield loaded at least. i like the front and rear serrations.

if you want a gun just to shoot, go with ria tact. cuz the gi is ugly.

kozumasbullitt
01-13-2010, 8:21 PM
What would you mod on a sa loaded?

Fot
01-13-2010, 8:26 PM
Tactical is the best bang for the buck, better sights and trigger with a lighter hammer and full beaver tail for $40 more.

CZlover
01-13-2010, 8:28 PM
if you want a gun to upgrade. i would go springfield loaded at least. i like the front and rear serrations.

if you want a gun just to shoot, go with ria tact. cuz the gi is ugly.

Agreed...GI model is ugly on any brand even on Springfield...these are just for beginners or for future upgrades...

Go for Rock Tactical and be done with it IMHO...

Good luck and shoot safe :D

Synergy
01-13-2010, 8:57 PM
Tactical is the best bang for the buck, better sights and trigger with a lighter hammer and full beaver tail for $40 more.

:iagree:

I have a RIA GI and had to upgrade the sights. The GI sights were too hard on my eyes in indoor ranges. Yes it a damn good gun for the money. I also have a SA Champion GI and it shoots good too.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/sights.jpg

Ducman
01-13-2010, 9:30 PM
Between the 2 , Go for the Tactical.

BroncoBob
01-13-2010, 9:35 PM
Check out the Charles Daily line of 1911's

Rekrab
01-13-2010, 9:40 PM
I've got the tactical, for the money, it's impossible to beat. The QC isn't amazing so inspect your gun thoroughly before purchasing.

The only issues I've had with mine is that the slide stop seems to have a slimmer profile and doesn't always keep the gun from returning to battery and the rear sight came loose. I fixed the sight issue with loc-tite and the slide stop issue should be fixed, waiting to test it on Saturday.

That said, it is incredibly accurate for the price and very fun to muck about with. It also has the bonus of being cheap so you don't feel bad when you put your first idiot mark on it!

Ravenslair
01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I have a Tactical. It is a great shooter and something you won't mind abusing. I have a few Colts to compare it to and really have no complaints about it. I would buy another Tactical any day.

Shotgun Dave
01-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I would personally just save up more money and buy a Springfield Loaded.

evidens83
01-14-2010, 7:46 AM
Buy a tactical and be done with it. If you are going to do custom work, buy a Springfield GI or Mil Spec

This!

Maplewood
01-14-2010, 8:24 AM
I bought the GI because I used to be a GI and wanted some nostalga, changed grips to coco bola grips from cheaper than dirt for $20 and just recently took grip safety off and smoothed the edges as it was a little sharp and caused a little bite / irritation, next I will bob the hammer slightly. I'm still on the fence as to the sights, I like the GI look, but Kings makes some decent sights that still look somewhat stock.

And how dare anyone call the original 1911 ugly, you might as well stomp on the American flag while your at it.

These guys like the GI model, check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzlN8jCwn0

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Gran_Torino

Bird of Fire
01-14-2010, 8:53 AM
I bought the GI spec before there was even a tactical model many moons ago.

If I had my choice and could do it all over again? I'd go for the tactical model. Look at it this way - decent set of sights, trigger, beavertail, hammer and start adding those up. 150$ sound about right for all that? Now the work to fit the beavertail to the frame? Now refinishing the gun. So on and so on and so on. And at the end of the day you have a bolt on modded RIA.

Believe me I'm not knocking the gun, it's a GREAT pistol and I don't think it can be beat for the price. I'm a hot rodder/tinkering nutcase at heart so I know where you're coming from.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/186463/guns/117_1779.JPG

That's the day I brought her home.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/186463/guns/IMG_2943.JPG

And that's what she looks like today. Proof you can in fact put lipstick on a pig. But I still own just a gussied up pig. Albeit a reliable pig that always functions and is insanely accurate for what it is.

Badong
01-14-2010, 3:12 PM
If I were buying a RIA 1911 it would be the Tactical. It has the upgrades that most want anyway.

dgey
01-14-2010, 5:56 PM
buy the gun with all of the upgrades from the factory. it's cheaper in the long run and you get a warranty...

team1320
01-14-2010, 10:58 PM
thanks for the advice guys.. looks like im just gonna go ahead with the tactical.

RockinCali
01-14-2010, 11:23 PM
thanks for the advice guys.. looks like im just gonna go ahead with the tactical.

Have fun! I wouldn't mind getting a tactical. It has most upgrades that you would do anyways and it is stock like that. Once you shoot it a lot, you can buy another 1911 to customize.

Bobotheclown
01-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Personalizing = GI, One and done = Tactical. I have the two-tone tactical and I love it.

Fishslayer
01-15-2010, 11:33 AM
And how dare anyone call the original 1911 ugly, you might as well stomp on the American flag while your at it.

What he said...:cool:

team1320
01-24-2010, 4:06 PM
I was at turners yesterday and they had the springfield SS 1911-A loaded for $839 on sale man that thing is nice and has everything I want. I'm now considering leaving a deplosit on that. Just wanted to see what you guys thought of that pistol? Is it a good deal? Good gun?

Astig Boy
01-24-2010, 4:09 PM

QFT!

LMAO!!! Thats the best quote Ive heard all year! :D