PDA

View Full Version : More Ban Talk from WA. Full of Lies!! LIARS!!

Ding126
01-13-2010, 5:34 PM
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100112/OPINION02/701129973/0/LIVING06

Police chiefs call for a state ban

Larry Simoneaux’s Dec. 28 column on assault weapons overlooks a key point. (“Enforce gun laws on books already before passing more.”)

Many semi-automatic assault rifles on the market today can be easily converted to fully automatic operation with minor after-market modifications, and are often purchased with that purpose in mind.

A less obvious point is that, when it comes to taking life, semi-automatic weapons are as lethal as fully automatic weapons, which were banned in the 1930s because police were being gunned down by gangsters. True, a fully automatic weapon can fire far more rounds per second, but the bullet from a semi-automatic weapon is no less deadly.

All told, some 40 police officers across the country were killed by semi-automatic weapons over the last four years. FBI research shows these weapons account for nearly a quarter of police killed in the line of duty. It’s not surprising then that the International Association of Chiefs of Police have called for a ban. Yet, Washington has failed to ban assault weapons.

We have introduced a bill that will ban all future sales of semi-automatic assault weapons. A recent U.S. Supreme Court decision upholding individuals’ rights under the Second Amendment also expressly upheld the rights of states to make reasonable restrictions on dangerous firearms such as assault weapons. This legislation was not introduced to limit the rights of responsible gun owners and is an important step toward ensuring the safety of our police and preventing future large-scale tragedies.

Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles
D-Seattle
Sen. Adam Kline
D-Seattle

HAVE YOUR SAY
Feel strongly about something? Share it with the community by writing a letter to the editor.
You’ll need to include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) We reserve the right to edit letters, but if you keep yours to 250 words or less, we won’t ask you to shorten it. If your letter is published, please wait 30 days before submitting another.
Send it to:
E-mail: letters@heraldnet.com
Mail: Letters section
The Herald
P.O. Box 930
Everett, WA 98206
Fax: 425-339-3458
Have a question about letters? Contact Carol MacPherson (cmacpherson@heraldnet.com or 425-339-3472).

Ding126
01-13-2010, 5:37 PM
Has anyone been killed by a registerd NFA weapon legally owned ( no, IMO )

Common sense isn't too common anymore

grunz
01-13-2010, 6:01 PM
Are bullets from bolt action rifles as deadly as bullets from semi auto rifles tooooo mom?

bodger
01-13-2010, 6:10 PM
Are bullets from bolt action rifles as deadly as bullets from semi auto rifles tooooo mom?

Ask Lee Harvey Oswald. :D

According to the Warren Report, bolt actions shoot pretty much at the same rate of fire as semi-autos.

rhunter
01-13-2010, 6:17 PM
I don't have a link, but from what I remember from rec.guns 2 have been used, 1 by a police officer, the other I can't remember by whom

Roger.

Window_Seat
01-13-2010, 6:17 PM
WA residents are unlike CA residents when it comes to the mainstream boobjob voters who are always voting in the incumbent, NISM.

Erik.

Hunt
01-13-2010, 6:20 PM
if they did a study on the loss of the officers they would find it is a majority of hardcore criminals and gangsters that did the shootings! Ban semi autos and the gangsters will steal or build ebr and you will have same death tolls.
We really need to keep working on deprogramming the public mind, lots of progress made in the last couple of years. Don't forget---Mumbai. You can bet those victims wished they an EBR in the trunk of their car.

PatriotnMore
01-13-2010, 6:21 PM
Let those who choose to be armed do so, watch the death toll drop across the board. They will continue the same tired argument and we need to remind them that police are not the only deaths being committed, the lives of the public they serve is equally important to the loss of LEOs.
This is another example of trying to subvert the constitution and trying to write anti gun legislation.

Smokey510
01-13-2010, 6:22 PM
Yup. I converted my GLOCK model 23 to fully auto before i even got home from the store. That thing is CRAZY accurate in fully auto mode at 30 yards. The Remington .22 rifle? 4 firing modes; stun, single shot, burst, and vaporize. Got the kits from DontWeWi****WereThatEasy.com

Smokey510
01-13-2010, 6:24 PM
Strange. It censored half of "wish" and "it" in my previous post. Stupid filters.

Hunt
01-13-2010, 6:26 PM
I continue to bring up the subject of Mumbai and gun bans with anti folk, helps break through the Gov't school programming.

bodger
01-13-2010, 6:32 PM
Strange. It censored half of "wish" and "it" in my previous post. Stupid filters.

Because you came just that close to typing s**t.:D

JDoe
01-13-2010, 6:41 PM
Dave Workman's article Bill introduced to ban so-called ‘assault weapons’ in Washington State (http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d13-Bill-introduced-to-ban-socalled-assault-weapons)

Link to Bill http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/6396.pdf

The shoulder thing that goes up :eek: can turn your pump-action rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon!!

(20) "Assault weapon" means:
8 (a) Any semiautomatic pistol or semiautomatic or pump-action rifle
9 or shotgun that is capable of accepting a detachable magazine, with a
10 capacity to accept more then ten rounds of ammunition and that also
11 possesses any of the following:
23 (iv) A barrel shroud;

SKSer
01-13-2010, 6:49 PM
Dave Workman's article Bill introduced to ban so-called ‘assault weapons’ in Washington State (http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d13-Bill-introduced-to-ban-socalled-assault-weapons)

Link to Bill http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/6396.pdf

The shoulder thing that goes up :eek: can turn your pump-action rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon!!

that is the best example of stupid liberals trying to ban what they dont even know. "can you explain to me what a barrel shroud is" " uh..the shoulder thingy that...uh ...no"

Ford8N
01-13-2010, 7:21 PM
that is the best example of stupid liberals trying to ban what they dont even know. "can you explain to me what a barrel shroud is" " uh..the shoulder thingy that...uh ...no"

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq280/Ford8N_2008/barrelshroudthing.jpg

Bellehood
01-13-2010, 9:55 PM
Here is a copy of the NRA email I received today. I live in Bellevue, which is a city about 5 miles outside of Seattle. This is pretty upsetting to hear:

A group of four State Senators has introduced Senate Bill 6396, legislation that would bring California-style gun-control to the Northwest and ultimately ban many semi-automatic firearms commonly owned by Washingtonians.

This legislation would establish far-reaching restrictions on semi-automatic firearms (dubbing them "assault weapons") and ammunition magazines. SB6396 affects every firearm modified to conform with the now-extinct Clinton Gun-Ban plus many other semi-automatic firearms that have no lineage to those rifles or any military-style orientation whatsoever.

Like the failed Clinton Gun-Ban that sunset in 2004, this bill is about demonizing certain firearms based on how they look, not about crime fighting. This gun ban scheme will only punish law-abiding citizens and will do nothing to curb crime or keep criminals from obtaining firearms illegally. This is simply another attack on our Second Amendment rights in Washington State.

HondaMasterTech
01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
It can be highly unfortunate that voters must rely on representation.

franklinarmory
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow, I guess they forgot Olympic Arms is one of their constituents.

Gray Peterson
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
*dons a gray wizard's robe*

About this bill.......

HmDuG_NkgaQ

gaucho750
01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
That sucks!! My parents live in Washington and I was thinking about moving up there one of these days. Guess I will have to wait and see how it goes.

bulgron
01-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Doesn't the Washington state constitution provide some protection against that kind of thing?

Super Spy
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Worst of all they don't have a WashGuns yet.....

Bellehood
01-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Doesn't the Washington state constitution provide some protection against that kind of thing?

it has a provision that any gov body below the state level cannot enact any restriction, such as the unconstitutional ban on CC in certain places in Seattle put in place by the soon to be ex-mayor, which somehow has yet to be struck down.

as far as I know, there is no protection from this, other than of course our 2nd amendment rights...

Hunt
01-13-2010, 11:08 PM

since when do politicians care about Constitutions or civil Liberties?
go to work, turn over your guns and your paycheck--obey

Gray Peterson
01-13-2010, 11:13 PM
it has a provision that any gov body below the state level cannot enact any restriction, such as the unconstitutional ban on CC in certain places in Seattle put in place by the soon to be ex-mayor, which somehow has yet to be struck down.

as far as I know, there is no protection from this, other than of course our 2nd amendment rights...

That's not true.

Article 1, Section 24 of our state constitution:

"The right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be impaired".

el_hombre70
01-13-2010, 11:56 PM

I know of one case here in WA of the possibility of a suppressor being used in a double homicide. The case had a few twists and has been VERY carefully swept under the rug. The can was legally owned as was the host weapon.

Vidiot
01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
That sucks!! My parents live in Washington and I was thinking about moving up there one of these days. Guess I will have to wait and see how it goes.

Apparently these clowns introduce this same AW bill over and over again and it never goes anywhere because the gunnies up here outnumber the hand wringers a hundred to one. When asked about this law, one of our legislators responded with:

The best gun control is to place a gun firmly in the hand of a law abiding citizen. If that’s not enough, then said citizen should use both hands.

I will not support anything else.

Representative Ed Orcutt
18th Legislative District

I'd like to hear a California politician say that!

You should move. We came up here form L.A. ten months ago and haven't regretted it for one single second. Taxes, gun laws, quality of life...all better here. CCW is shall issue, and easy. Private PPT is legal. And all the cops I've met so far (admittedly only four, but...) are solidly pro-2A.

The gun shops here remind me of California back in the 1980's. Loads of cool toys, and quite a few have NFA stuff for sale as well. About the only thing we can't get are full auto's and SBR's. And the gun shows up here are big, and held every two weeks like clockwork. They remind me of the old Crossroads show in Pomona.

My wife jokes that life is better, "...now that we've moved back to the United States."

Just be sure not to move into the city of Seattle itself. It's like our own little slice of Sacramento.

matrix056
01-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Stop it! you have me daydreaming.....The grass really is greener

YubaRiver
01-14-2010, 6:10 AM
I moved too. Couldn't keep up with the rising costs of CA. Moved to the
eastern part of WA.

Food tastes better here too. Its local, they don't ship it
from the central valley to Pittsburgh and back before it gets to the stores.
Everybody's beef is grass fed.

Everyone hunts too, from the loggers to the accountants.

If only a quarter of the killings are with autos, why aren't they suggesting
controls on the stuff involved in the other 75 percent first?

tiki
01-14-2010, 7:05 AM
Somebody wrote an article without reading the Heller decision.

shooting4life
01-14-2010, 7:34 AM
I am going to find a Washington gun board and sell some ar stuff. It will be just like December 08 all over again!!!1!11!

PEBKAC
01-14-2010, 9:20 AM
I hope they are not too attached to that 250 word limit for letters...

Bhobbs
01-14-2010, 9:40 AM
Why do all politicians pedal the same crap that there are F/A conversion kits for sale on the open market that are easily purchased and cheap? If there are such kits please tell me becuause I would like to convert my rifles to F/A.
( I know there are and they are extremely expensive but that was not my point)

Glock22Fan
01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Why do all politicians pedal the same crap that there are F/A conversion kits for sale on the open market that are easily purchased and cheap? If there are such kits please tell me becuause I would like to convert my rifles to F/A.
( I know there are and they are extremely expensive but that was not my point)

I would like to ask one (or more) of these politicians to list how many crimes have been committed by rifles converted with these kits.

REH
01-14-2010, 10:44 AM
They forgot to say "this is for the children".

RobG
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Many semi-automatic assault rifles on the market today can be easily converted to fully automatic operation with minor after-market modifications, and are often purchased with that purpose in mind.

Ugh:rolleyes: The same lies they have been espousing for two decades. You would think they could come up with some new, politically skewed, BS to toss around. What ever happened to originality?

Bhobbs
01-14-2010, 6:15 PM
Originality died when more people voted for American Idol than the president.

steadyrock
01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
SB6396 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/6396.pdf) is a terrible bill. Excerpt:

7 (20) "Assault weapon" means:
8 (a) Any semiautomatic pistol or semiautomatic or pump-action rifle
9 or shotgun that is capable of accepting a detachable magazine, with a
10 capacity to accept more then ten rounds of ammunition and that also
11 possesses any of the following:
12 (i) If the firearm is a rifle or shotgun, a pistol grip located
13 rear of the trigger;
14 (ii) If the firearm is a rifle or shotgun, a stock in any
15 configuration, including but not limited to a thumbhole stock, a
16 folding stock or a telescoping stock, that allows the bearer of the
17 firearm to grasp the firearm with the trigger hand such that the web of
18 the trigger hand, between the thumb and forefinger, can be placed below
19 the top of the external portion of the trigger during firing;
20 (iii) If the firearm is a pistol, a shoulder stock of any type or
21 configuration, including but not limited to a folding stock or a
22 telescoping stock;
23 (iv) A barrel shroud;
24 (v) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;
25 (vi) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that
26 can be held by the hand that is not the trigger hand;
27 (b) Any pistol that is capable of accepting a detachable magazine
28 at any location outside of the pistol grip;
29 (c) Any semiautomatic pistol, any semiautomatic, center-fire rifle,
30 or any shotgun with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept
31 more than ten rounds of ammunition;
32 (d) Any shotgun capable of accepting a detachable magazine;
33 (e) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder;
34 (f) Any conversion kit or other combination of parts from which an
35 assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or
36 under the control of any person.
37 (21) "Detachable magazine" means a magazine, the function of which
p. 5 SB 6396
1 is to deliver one or more ammunition cartridges into the firing
2 chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without the use of any
3 tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge.
4 (22) "Barrel shroud" means a covering, other than a slide, that is
5 attached to, or that substantially or completely encircles, the shoulder of the bearer and goes up.

I find it funny that they specifically included bullets and cartridges as "tools". That Calguns innovations have influenced legislation in other states has to be some kind of watermark, no matter how negative the light.

Washington residents - is this one of those bills that you are confident will not go anywhere, or does SB 6396 pose a real threat to your liberty there?

Milsurp Collector
01-19-2010, 1:02 PM
Washington residents - is this one of those bills that you are confident will not go anywhere, or does SB 6396 pose a real threat to your liberty there?

For discussion see http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21862

They would probably welcome any advice or support you could offer.

Milsurp Collector
01-26-2010, 8:23 AM
You can watch a live webcast of theWashington Senate Judiciary Committee hearing of SB 6396 (Semi-automatic weapon ban) today at 10:00 AM at http://www.tvw.org/media/liveevents.cfm?CFID=4395980&CFTOKEN=89372635&bhcp=1

vantec08
01-26-2010, 8:43 AM
Dang right, YubaRiver. Automatic weapons are VASTLY over-rated by the ignorant. "Bad" is a good marksman with reliable weapon and ammo, adequate cover, highly motivated. Remember the big-bad L.A. bank shootout? the holdout gunman was taken out by. . . guess what? A good marksman (policeman), reliable weapon and ammo (borrowed from an inherently evil local gun store), adequate cover (police vehicle), highly motivated (life or death).

jdberger
01-26-2010, 8:58 AM

I call shenanigans.

I've heard this crap for years.

I'd like to see any one of the bill's sponsors manufacture a DIAS, lighting link, etc. or otherwise convert a SA to FA in their garage.

Sure, it can be done. But it takes more than just a modicum of know-how. And it's also a FEDERAL FELONY investigated by one of the scarier alphabet agencies that carries a $10,000/10 year sentence in a Federal prison.

That particular argument is complete garbage. It's akin to asking the same legislators what keeps them from jumping up and stabbing their neighbor in the neck with a fountain pen.

Quemtimebo
01-26-2010, 8:58 AM
SB6396 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/6396.pdf) is a terrible bill. Excerpt:

I find it funny that they specifically included bullets and cartridges as "tools". That Calguns innovations have influenced legislation in other states has to be some kind of watermark, no matter how negative the light.

Hard to say. It pretty much goes without saying that everyone from east of the Cascades is going to be voting against it, but the Westside Democrats up there tend to play dirty. Really dirty. Take a look at the Rossi/Gregoire contest for a good example. Should be an interesting hearing. Maybe I'm holding out hope because I really want to move back there and add a nice Saiga 12 with a detachable, full size magazine to my safe.

Window_Seat
01-26-2010, 9:02 AM
Here is the live video webcast of the Senate Judiciary Committee. It all starts at 10:00. There is no telling when AB6396 will be heard among the other bills being discussed, but it will be interesting to see the mood in progress when it starts.

LIVE EVENT WEBCAST
Senate Judiciary Committee (http://tinyurl.com/yhe8sgd)

Erik.

Quemtimebo
01-26-2010, 9:04 AM
Here is the live video webcast of the Senate Judiciary Committee. It all starts at 10:00. There is no telling when AB6396 will be heard among the other bills being discussed, but it will be interesting to see the mood in progress when it starts.

LIVE EVENT WEBCAST
Senate Judiciary Committee (http://tinyurl.com/yhe8sgd)

Erik.

The feeds are a bit slow to get started this morning. Only two are live so far.

PEBKAC
01-26-2010, 9:05 AM
Aren't most "garage conversions" actually fire control group malfunctions? I mean, I could be wrong but it strikes me that perhaps one could remove the disconnecter and create not only an automatic weapon (FAO) but also a federal felony and a gun that is likely to blow up in your face...:rolleyes:

Quemtimebo
01-26-2010, 9:08 AM
It's being heard right now. And damn, Senator Kline is very condescending to those in attendance.

PEBKAC
01-26-2010, 9:13 AM
What the h*** is an assault weapon conversion kit. :confused:

Also I loved the laughter when he started talking about the definition of assault weapon. :D

davescz
01-26-2010, 9:14 AM
yeah... get that part about an INTERNATIONAL association of police chiefs. there is no international 2nd Admendment. these police chiefs that belong to this organization should all be fired immediatly, they have broken their oath to defend the constitutional rights we have, by joining such an organization. These police are NOT our friends, they are the enemy as much as a gang banger criminal is.

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:15 AM
Names and contact info for the Senate Judiciary Committee (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rosters/CommitteeMembersByCommittee.aspx?Chamber=S)

Senator Adam Kline
223 John A. Cherberg Building
PO Box 40437
Olympia, WA 98504-0437
(360) 786-7688
Fax: (360) 786-1999

Senator Debbie Regala
233 John A. Cherberg Building
PO Box 40427
Olympia, WA 98504-0427
(360) 786-7652

Senator Bob McCaslin
112 Irv Newhouse Building
PO Box 40404
Olympia, WA 98504-0404
(360) 786-7606

Senator Mike Carrell
102 Irv Newhouse Building
PO Box 40428
Olympia, WA 98504-0428
(360) 786-7654
Fax: (360) 786-7819

Senator Randy Gordon
409 Legislative Building
PO Box 40441
Olympia, WA 98504-0441
(360) 786-7641

Senator James Hargrove
411 Legislative Building
PO Box 40424
Olympia, WA 98504-0424
(360) 786-7646
Fax: (360) 786-1323

Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles
219 John A. Cherberg Building
PO Box 40436
Olympia, WA 98504-0436
(360) 786-7670

Senator Pam Roach
202 Irv Newhouse Building
PO Box 40431
Olympia, WA 98504-0431
(360) 786-7660
Fax: (360) 786-7173

When AB962 and SB585 came down the pike, we didn't hesitate to ask folks in other States to contact our Governor and request a veto. Let's stand in solidarity and lend the strong hand and loud voice of Calguns to our brothers and sisters in the great State of Washington.

Quemtimebo
01-26-2010, 9:18 AM
Here we go. It's for the children. Best part? The "model of weapon" that killed her son "is not yet known."

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:22 AM
What's with the retards in the camo jackets in the front row....

Quemtimebo
01-26-2010, 9:23 AM
Wow, the NRA liason is doing a fantastic job! :D "This bill will sow confusion, not control." Couldn't have said it better myself.

doc1buc
01-26-2010, 9:24 AM
Dang I can't listen to streaming audio, please update!

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:30 AM
One pretty solid NO vote on the panel, Sen. Pam Roach.

You go, Girl!

PEBKAC
01-26-2010, 9:30 AM
NRA liaison = excellent. Good job. :)

Window_Seat
01-26-2010, 9:31 AM
WA Cease Fire rep spreading all kinds of lies...

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:32 AM
Ralph Pasciatelli (WA Cease Fire) (citing Kellerman Study) (citing Harvard study).......

PEBKAC
01-26-2010, 9:33 AM
WA Cease Fire rep spreading all kinds of lies...
No kidding...when did .5% become 24%?

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:39 AM
Bill Pierce - made abortion connection and attacks chairman….

Not helpful.....

PEBKAC
01-26-2010, 9:42 AM

Not helpful.....
My thoughts exactly...

Window_Seat
01-26-2010, 9:43 AM

Not helpful.....

Agreed, that wasn't necessary. This is what we emphasize against.

Erik.

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:43 AM
City of Belleview Police Chief, Linda Pillow (presenting personal opinion - but conveniently in uniform). Referrs to IACP summit headed by Joyce Foundation. Lies about Tihart Amendment (saying that trace data isn’t available - she’s a cop for chrissakes!)

Semi to FA fallacy....

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:45 AM
Pam Roach gets a thank-you card from me!

Window_Seat
01-26-2010, 9:46 AM
Sen. Kline cuts off Sen. Roach numerous times while she is trying to ask the Police Chief questions.

Erik.

Quemtimebo
01-26-2010, 9:46 AM
Pam Roach gets a thank-you card from me!

Word. "How many rounds does it take to kill a person?" The witness refuses to answer. Senator Kline accused Senator Roach of "badgering."

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:50 AM
?? Cooper - mocking definition of AW/ muffler required on car, but not on firearm! “fireams not wicked” -

jdberger
01-26-2010, 9:55 AM
I have to think of a way to appeal to the Revolutionary Left in Senator Kline....

I'm pretty sure that he's set in his ways - but you never know.

PEBKAC
01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I have to think of a way to appeal to the Revolutionary Left in Senator Kline....

I'm pretty sure that he's set in his ways - but you never know.
Could work on the left's assumption that all radical militias are right wing, so the left should form its own radical militias to counter perceived balance of power issue? Ergo, the left should be as well armed as the right, thus the left should embrace so called "assault weapons". Seems reasonable to me. ;)

He does seem pretty content to just smug the rights of others away though, might be a tough sell...:rolleyes:

jdberger
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
I just thought I'd post Sen. Kline's Bio (http://www.senatedemocrats.wa.gov/senators/kline/biography.htm)-

I'd be willing to accept thoughts, ideas and input for my letter.

Senator
Adam Kline

http://www.senatedemocrats.wa.gov/senators/kline/headshot.jpg

Biography

I came to Seattle with my wife on October 13, 1973, about 29 years ago, and I celebrate every anniversary of that date. It was culture shock. I'd spent almost two years, fresh out of law school, working for North Mississippi Rural Legal Services in the not-so-thriving town of Greenwood, in the Delta. My major project had been to help a senior lawyer enforce a federal judge's ruling that stopped the warden of the infamous prison-farm, Parchman Farm, from having prisoners beaten, starved, over-worked, and otherwise mistreated.

Those two years were actually my second tour of duty in Mississippi. I'd been in that same town, Greenwood, during Freedom Summer, 1964. At the age of 20, I hadn't a lick of sense, and had marched off to fight my generation's battles in the same invincible spirit with which 20-year-olds do most everything. And in 1964, it seemed, everybody was 20 years old, and united in opposition to racial segregation and all its evils. My job in Greenwood was to register voters for the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, to which all were welcome regardless of race. I was one of a dozen or so volunteers in Greenwood with the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee, or SNCC.

I was a foot-soldier in our generation's battles, and the experience seems to have set the tone for the rest of my life. Back to college at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, and still in the spirit, I decided to take that year off from study and work in an SDS-sponsored organizing project in East Baltimore's slums. (Remember SDS--Students for a Democratic Society? We were radical, we were belligerent, and sometimes we were self-righteous. But you know something? By and large, we were right.) It was a year well spent for a young man interested in social policy, and the lessons I learned are still with me.

Then through Johns Hopkins, then a reporter for the Baltimore Sun, and then law school, all in Baltimore. (Oh, let's just hit fast-forward here, and cut straight to Seattle.)

After my time in the Delta, Seattle was a breath of fresh air, literally. I took a job with what's now Columbia Legal Services, and spent the next three years representing people who were indigent and who needed legal help. For some of that time, I represented the residents of our state's six institutions for the developmentally disabled. That was an eye-opening experience, to see the conditions under which we kept people who were born disabled. They weren't much better off than prisoners in jails.

I was a lawyer in private practice in Seattle until I retired in 2004, representing injured folks in auto collisions, especially the victims of drunk drivers. From my office on Pioneer Square before it was chic, I got to see some of this city's social ills firsthand. I've volunteered as a pro bono lawyer for the ACLU, and had the most fun of my almost 30-year legal career in a case challenging a Tacoma ordinance that banned political yard-signs. (I got the Washington Supreme Court to overturn it, on constitutional grounds.) But most of all, running my own little office on the Square gave me the freedom to get involved in the issues that define our current struggles: as a co-founder and chair of Washington Conservation Voter's local chapter; as a board member and chair of the political-action committee of NARAL, the pro-choice advocacy group; and as a member of the Legislative Committee of the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association. For many years, I was active in Mothers Against Drunk Driving, both as its unofficial lobbyist in Olympia and later as its Seattle chapter president.

I’ve been your Senator now for 12 years. Check out my newsletters for commentary on my work in the legislature. I retired from my law practice in 2004, to take a job as an organizer with the Laborers Union, representing the guys and gals with shovels. My wife, Laura Gene Middaugh, is now in her third term as a judge on the King County Superior Court. My daughter, Genevieve, lives in Oakland with her husband, Matt, and their daughter, Sophie.

Political action is good for you.

I sure agree with that last sentence....

I think that this is a guy who can be reasoned with....

dantodd
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Could work on the left's assumption that all radical militias are right wing, so the left should form its own radical militias to counter perceived balance of power issue?

They should call it "Air America" and arm them all with air guns.

YubaRiver
01-26-2010, 1:04 PM
I just thought I'd post Sen. Kline's Bio (http://www.senatedemocrats.wa.gov/senators/kline/biography.htm)-

Maybe civil rights issues and gun control as it relates to disarming minorities past and present?

Milsurp Collector
01-26-2010, 2:03 PM

I sure agree with that last sentence....

I think that this is a guy who can be reasoned with....

I disagree that he can be reasoned with. He is certain that he was right in the 60s-70s and that he is still right today. He thinks that his life experiences (as a radical student activist and ambulance chaser personal injury attorney :rolleyes:) have given him wisdom and insights that knuckle-dragging redneck gun nuts in the hinterlands of Washington state can't even fathom.

Remember SDS--Students for a Democratic Society? We were radical, we were belligerent, and sometimes we were self-righteous. But you know something? By and large, we were right. It was a year well spent for a young man interested in social policy, and the lessons I learned are still with me.

You're only hope is to appeal to his intellect and point out the misinformation that serves as the foundation of this bill ("assault weapons" are commonly used in crimes, they are easily converted to full-auto, kits to convert them are "readily available", semi-automatic "assault weapons" are "often purchased" with full-auto conversion in mind, full-auto weapons were banned in the 1930s, barrel shrouds and pistol grips make "assault weapons" more lethal, etc. etc.).

You can read the misinformation filling his head at http://blog.senatedemocrats.wa.gov/kline/police-chiefs-call-for-a-state-ban/ and http://washingtonceasefire.org/blog/megan-montplaisir/coalition-announces-push-state-ban-military-assault-weapons

Larry Simoneaux’s Dec. 28th op-ed on assault weapons overlooks a key point. Many semi-automatic assault rifles on the market today can be easily converted to fully automatic operation with minor after-market modifications, and are often purchased with that purpose in mind.

A less obvious point is that, when it comes to taking life, semi-automatic weapons are as lethal as fully automatic weapons, which were banned in the 1930s because police were being gunned down by gangsters. True, a fully automatic weapon can fire far more rounds per second, but the bullet from a semi-automatic weapon is no less deadly.

All told, some 40 police officers across the country were killed by semi-automatic weapons over the last four years. FBI research shows these weapons account for nearly a quarter of police killed in the line of duty. It’s not surprising then that the International Association of Chiefs of Police have called for a ban. Yet Washington has failed to ban assault weapons.

We have introduced a bill that will ban all future sales of semi-automatic assault weapons. A recent U.S. Supreme Court decision upholding individuals’ rights under the Second Amendment also expressly upheld the rights of states to make reasonable restrictions on dangerous firearms such as assault weapons. This legislation was not introduced to limit the rights of responsible gun owners and is an important step towards ensuring the safety of our police and preventing future large-scale tragedies.

Sens. Jeanne Kohl-Welles and Adam Kline
D-Seattle

Semi-automatic assault weapons are designed and intended for military purposes to kill as many people as quickly as possible in a designated area. These guns can fire over 200 bullets a minute. Even avid hunters acknowledge that semi-automatic weapons have no sporting purpose other than target practice which this bill would accommodate within designated shooting ranges. Significantly kits are readily available that can convert semi-automatic weapons to automatic “machine gun” status in just a few minutes. The risk of assault weapons is made worse by the so-called gun show loophole which allows gun purchasers, as young as eighteen, to purchase unlimited quantities of these dangerous weapons without a background check, record keeping or waiting period at various gun shows held almost weekly in this state.

He also explicitly stated that his bill was modeled after the 1994 assault weapon ban. Point out that the study required by the law to study the ban's effectiveness found

"...the ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. AWs were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban." http://www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/re...w_exec2004.pdf

pMcW
01-26-2010, 5:26 PM
You can watch a live webcast of theWashington Senate Judiciary Committee hearing of SB 6396 (Semi-automatic weapon ban) today at 10:00 AM at http://www.tvw.org/media/liveevents.cfm?CFID=4395980&CFTOKEN=89372635&bhcp=1

You can watch the replay here: http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d26-Turnout-heavy-in-opposition-to-WA-assault-weapon-bill-Bellevue-police-chief-plays-politics