PDA

View Full Version : ~ ~ Gun-Safe alternatives: Do you own a Safe? ~~

.40Cal
01-13-2010, 5:25 PM
Hey guys,

I'd like to know how many guys here do NOT own a gun safe? I mean you own handguns and or rifles, but don't own a gun safe.

What do you use/store alternatives...??

Thanks...

kozumasbullitt
01-13-2010, 5:43 PM
I used to keep them in a closet in locked cases.

Rob454
01-13-2010, 5:46 PM
Even a cheap harbor frieght safe is better than stuffing guns in a closet in a case.

jrau13
01-13-2010, 5:49 PM
Sorry to say my handgun is locked in the original case it came in and my 870 is in my closet with a cable lock through it so no one can operate it.
Looking at getting a safe for the Sig very soon.

K1LLROI
01-13-2010, 5:57 PM
At least spend about $100 on cabinet, and bolt that sucker down.

Brown Rock
01-13-2010, 5:58 PM
Deleted post.

slappomatt
01-13-2010, 6:01 PM
costco has a SMOKIN deal on a big nice gun safe right now in san diego area. temped to sell my smaller sentry safe and upgrade to a larger one. something like 599 IIRC

shoupdawg
01-13-2010, 6:05 PM
I used to keep them in a locked gun case underneath the bed.

zman
01-13-2010, 6:06 PM
I believe every firearm owner should have an appropriate firearm safe whether you got kids or not. I have an AmSec 5924 for my long and short guns & an AmSec PB2 for my bedside gun. In addition, all my range bags are lockable.

littlejake
01-13-2010, 6:08 PM
I have a safe. Not one of these push button electric lock ones either. It has a 3 wheel S&G combo lock with a theoretical one million combinations. I have the change key and set my own combos

In addition, I have two carry boxes with the Simplex 5 button lock that I use if/when I transport.

The room is alarmed. And the door to the room is self closing with an electric push button lock.

(I am working on getting razor wire)

Brown Rock
01-13-2010, 6:17 PM
costco has a SMOKIN deal on a big nice gun safe right now in san diego area. temped to sell my smaller sentry safe and upgrade to a larger one. something like 599 IIRC

Is that the Winchester safe? I saw that too, pretty solid looking safe.

sirr6
01-13-2010, 6:29 PM
After my 7th gun, i got a GunVault 5500, after my 17th gun I got a Liberty to go with my GunVault. Both bolted to the floor and the wall, and a couple cameras hidden to see who goes into the closet. To many freakin thieves these days.

jrau13
01-13-2010, 6:49 PM
I don't have a safe either. I keep my Sigma 9mm in a lock box and my Mini 14 in the closet with a trigger lock. I really need to get at least a locker type safe. Something like this http://www.walmart.com/Sentry-5-Gun-Safe/ip/4244347

I think this will work for me. I live in an apartment and I can put this in the closet. Thanks for posting!

walter
01-13-2010, 6:56 PM
someone i know doesnt have a safe, his guns are unlocked inside his unlocked closet and there's a bunch of ammo sitting next to it. however, as far is doj is concerned when he fills out the affadavit, he has a safe =D

louscamaro91
01-13-2010, 7:20 PM
I wish I had a gun safe to put these so called guns in your talking about, But why would I need a safe if I own no guns..:rolleyes:

wildog8812
01-13-2010, 7:54 PM
After my apartment got broken into a few weeks back I bought a pistol safe and put 6 2" bolts into it. Fortunately they were only there a minute or so before I got home so no guns got stolen. Still working on a stand up safe.

K5Cruiser
01-13-2010, 8:17 PM
For the longest time I did not have a safe. Thinking back it was not very smart. Not only is it important for them to be protected in the event of a fire or to prevent being stolen in a burglary, but also to prevent them from being obtained and used by criminals. I would hate to find out that one of my guns, if stolen, had been used in a crime. I became wiser over time and now have more than one safe that combined can handle all my current gun storage needs.

If you have even one gun, it's best to go out and buy the most safe that you can afford.

1911dude
01-14-2010, 6:30 AM
I have the FireKing Gary Lap Top safe (LT1507). It's really nice and plenty big enough for a couple of handguns plus ammo if you choose. http://www.buyonlinenow.com (http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewproduct.asp?SKU=FIRLT1507) has them for $140 with free shipping. It's on the CA approved safe list too.

berg
01-14-2010, 7:01 AM
It sounds like you are asking for people to vote...but there's no poll?

happy_gunner
01-14-2010, 7:11 AM
I don't have a safe but I do have a cabinet, just an inexpensive 8 gun cabinet from stack on, bolt/screw it into the stud and it gets the job done.
$145 dollars and half a hour to a hour later, firearm storage problem solved

liketoshoot
01-14-2010, 7:15 AM
Cardboard box in the garage, and some I think are under the bed, but I'm not to sure, the rest I lost over the side when I was fishing.
No really I have a Sunvalley safe and love it!

SixPointEight
01-14-2010, 7:22 AM
I want to get a safe, but it'll have to wait. For now I have a locker, which as of now is not bolted down. But it will be eventually.

devildog101
01-14-2010, 7:48 AM
I kept them in the attic for years. But now I own a Cannon safe. A great investment for peace of mind.

SevenFifty
01-14-2010, 8:02 AM
If a safe is a little too expensive for you right now, these work great.
http://www.raclocked.com/

I have one for my bedside gun and it is extremely secure.

fed20
01-14-2010, 9:25 AM
I used to keep rifles in the closet. My wife would get mad at me. She said they would be easily stolen. I told not to worry about my rifles, that she should worry about all her jewelry. I told her if I were a thief it would be a lot easier to carry her jewelry than my rifles. I had a safe within a month and I didn't pay a dime. Thank God for her Jewelry. I kept my word and found a small corner for her stuff.

If your guns mean anything to you. Find the means and get a good safe. You'll sleep better knowing you do.

.40Cal
01-14-2010, 9:36 AM
Since we're on the subject of gun safe, can you guys (who have safes, or looking into these), please post some links to your safes.

I do understand the importance/need of a safe. However, not just a pistol safe, but even rifles (for those who own them, or will own them some day). I would like to be a good safe within $200 delivered. Is it possible to get a 'Good' safe in that price that holds rifles & pistol. (Just 2-3 rifles capacity is fine too, as long as its good quality made)

Thanks... Keep it coming guys... Love Calguns... :)

Fot
01-14-2010, 9:47 AM
My safe fell through the bottom of my boat with all my guns inside.

fed20
01-14-2010, 9:55 AM
This is the one I have. http://www.gunsafes.com/Liberty-Gun-Safe-Presidential-22-Gun-Fire-Safe-in-Gloss-Black.html
I absolutly love it. Keep in mind I got mine used. My wife sold a home and the homeowner did not want to deal with moving it. So she made them an offer and got it. I have the 25' cubic ft model.

Here's a different link
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_presidential.php
Good luck!

For some reason the link isn't working for me. Hopefully it will for you. If it doesn't just go to www.libertysafe.com for a list of thier models.

fed20
01-14-2010, 10:02 AM

Are you serious? Did the boat sink? That's a shame.

ALSystems
01-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Cardboard box in the garage,
Probably marked "Christmas decorations"

and some I think are under the bed
Next to the money stuffed in the mattress

but I'm not to sure, the rest I lost over the side when I was fishing.
Isn't there some law about unsafe storage of firearms near fish under 18?

:rolleyes:

dobek
01-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Here are a few that I like - - -

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Made here in California - seem to be good people

then there is

http://www.heritagesafe.com/

Very good quality

then a good "mass produced" - - http://www.libertysafe.com/

Steve

.40Cal
01-14-2010, 11:30 AM

That's the most craziest thing I've heard. Feel sorry for you man. Hope you reported it to police to get the guns off your name, and got some recovery money from insurance... But I feel the pain though..

This is the one I have. http://www.gunsafes.com/Liberty-Gun-Safe-Presidential-22-Gun-Fire-Safe-in-Gloss-Black.html
I absolutly love it. Keep in mind I got mine used. My wife sold a home and the homeowner did not want to deal with moving it. So she made them an offer and got it. I have the 25' cubic ft model.

Here's a different link
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_presidential.php
Good luck!

For some reason the link isn't working for me. Hopefully it will for you. If it doesn't just go to www.libertysafe.com for a list of thier models.

This is all great sir, but I see all the ones mentioned here are in thousands of dollars price tag. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of $$ (I think I mentioned up to $200 budget). If $$ wasn't an issue, I think most people wouldn't ask questions, instead go out there and the the BEST product. Nice Gun Safes though... :cool:

Cokebottle
01-14-2010, 11:47 AM
That's the most craziest thing I've heard. Feel sorry for you man. Hope you reported it to police to get the guns off your name, and got some recovery money from insurance... But I feel the pain though..
He's kidding... it's a running joke.
When the government knocks on the door to confiscate our guns, we're all going to tell them that our guns were lost in a tragic boating accident.

for2nato
01-14-2010, 12:03 PM
i have a smaller pistol safe and a gun cabinet. both are secured. and good enough for now. didnt want to deal with a massive gun safe moving across the country. and we havent settled yet into our own permanent place. when we do. i will buy a 2hr fire safe big enough for 40 long guns. until then what we have is sufficient. no matter what you have. $100 on a cabinet should be your first purchase. and just bolt it down to the floor and wall studds and it will be secure enough to detour a would be thief from your guns. t.v.'s and ps3's are alot easier to replace than guns. and thieves usually go for the quick and easy.

Eagle87Tango
01-14-2010, 12:04 PM
When the government knocks on the door to confiscate our guns, we're all going to tell them that our guns were lost in a tragic boating accident.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!! What are you doing?! :mad:

Cokebottle
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
SSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!! What are you doing?! :mad:
At least I didn't tell him about the secret forum!

Oh sh** :(

sker13
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
At least I didn't tell him about the secret forum!

Oh sh** :(
this is the one that fell out of my :boat:

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_centurion.php#na

paid 500.00 out the door for the 17 CF. I thought it was a good deal?

Cokebottle
01-14-2010, 12:24 PM
this is the one that fell out of my :boat:

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_centurion.php#na

paid 500.00 out the door for the 17 CF. I thought it was a good deal?
Lowe's has the Centurion... don't recall the price though, but I think it's in that ballpark.

Sorry to hear you lost it ;)

zman
01-14-2010, 12:40 PM
This is all great sir, but I see all the ones mentioned here are in thousands of dollars price tag. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of $$ (I think I mentioned up to $200 budget). If $$ wasn't an issue, I think most people wouldn't ask questions, instead go out there and the the BEST product. Nice Gun Safes though... :cool:

How about $240?

Harbor Freight Exec Safe (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=248782)

or.....

Aha! :eek: I found one for $180 shipped to your door from Walmart.com.

Sentry-5-Gun-Safe/ip/4244347 (http://www.walmart.com/Sentry-5-Gun-Safe/ip/4244347)

I'll post this on the Commercial Sales section :)

Fishslayer
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
No safe for the long guns. They have the Master trigger locks with identical combos.

The pistols live in one of these for now...
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/317952.jpg

Cokebottle
01-14-2010, 1:11 PM
Aha! :eek: I found one for $180 shipped to your door from Walmart.com.

Sentry-5-Gun-Safe/ip/4244347 (http://www.walmart.com/Sentry-5-Gun-Safe/ip/4244347)
76lbs, locked with a key?

That's not a "safe"... that's a gun cabinet with a deadbolt.

Load that up with 5 rifles and I could carry it downstairs to the truck.
Bolted to the wall/floor? Unless the bolt heads are reinforced with steel plate, I could rip the heads/washers through the sheetmetal.

Yes, better than nothing... but not much better. It's good for keeping the kids out of the guns.

Eagle87Tango
01-14-2010, 1:13 PM
:eek: I found one for $180 shipped to your door from Walmart.com.

I'll post this on the Commercial Sales section :)

Is this the one that's thin aluminum?

zman
01-14-2010, 1:40 PM
Yes, better than nothing... but not much better. It's good for keeping the kids out of the guns.

I would rather have this safe (bolted and all) than the alternative (none). Some people just leave their guns on the closet corner. $200 is the budget here and I applaud the OP for his safety mindset.

fed20
01-14-2010, 4:35 PM

No worries, we all start somewhere. I'm very fortunate to have mine.
Just try and get the best one you can.

SixPointEight
01-14-2010, 4:39 PM
Well if you're concerned about budget, I found a locker that somebody was throwing away. I cut out all the shelves, re-welded one of them up higher for ammo storage, and converted the 5 doors into 1. Cost me...$50 for paint and primers. Plus a couple days work. All I gotta do now is weld some steel plate to the feet, drill some holes, and mount the sucker.

B Strong
01-14-2010, 4:46 PM
In all my years of involvment with firearms, I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about gun thefts during burglary, etc.

I can count one one hand the incidents I know to be factual about thefts of or from a gun safe.

Get yourself at least some kind of safe.

TJCamro
01-14-2010, 6:59 PM
For my handguns I use a stack-on drawer safe, as far as my 2 rifles they are hidden in my house somewhere.

MarioS
01-14-2010, 7:15 PM
Like some of the other members have mentioned, I would invest in a good safe. It should go hand in hand with buying firearms, IMO. As an alternative, you could look at a Stack-On cabinet but I have one for ammo and other miscellaneous items and I can tell you that it is no substitute for any kind of real gun safe, not even close. A 13 year old can rip through it in a few minutes.

esskay
01-14-2010, 11:16 PM
For $200 seems pretty hard to find a proper safe, definitely could pick up a Stack-on cabinet for less than that.

How about checking Craigslist constantly and hope for a smoking deal to pop up on a used safe...

Fot
01-15-2010, 8:19 PM
Are you serious? Did the boat sink? That's a shame.

Thank you guys, but as Cokebottle said it's a joke.. No guns lost in a boating mishap.... yet

Rob454
01-16-2010, 7:16 AM
Personally IMO most gun owners start off with one gun. Then usually they end up getting at least two or three more. Lets say the average gun they purchase is 500$. say they get 4 of them. Thats 2300$ invested in those guns. I looked at one of those cheap harbor freight safes for a ammo locker and Im probably gonna pick up one. It may not be the best out there but if that burglar was that determined he will get in that safe. for the average burglar its gonna look like a freaking mountain to climb.
Personally, if you are gonna buy guns its not only safer but also smarter to get a safe. Even a cheap safe. you canalways upgrade to a better one as you get the money . A safe is not gonna lose that much value either so youll get most of your money back on it when you sell it
Let me put it to you this way. Wherever you think its a safe hiding place for your guns, a burglar will find it. I mean if you are gone for 8 hours if I were a burglar I have 8 hours in which to tear apart your place to find whatever I want.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-16-2010, 10:21 AM
$200 sheet metal cabinet bolted the floor and walls is way better than nothing.

You can do even better if you can creatively hide the cabinet or put it in a closet with a deadbolt on the door. Remember to make it hard for the thieves to pry with long crowbars by putting the cabinet in a tight corner.

I still have the cabinet I started out with. Use it for less valuable and dangerous stuff now. You can get a $2000 RSC in years to come.

Only banks and millionaires have actual safes.

Cokebottle
01-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Personally IMO most gun owners start off with one gun. Then usually they end up getting at least two or three more. Lets say the average gun they purchase is 500$. say they get 4 of them. Thats 2300$ invested in those guns. I looked at one of those cheap harbor freight safes for a ammo locker and Im probably gonna pick up one. It may not be the best out there but if that burglar was that determined he will get in that safe. for the average burglar its gonna look like a freaking mountain to climb.
And when they see 2 or 3 safes, they're going to assume that you have an arsenal and go for the easiest one to crack.

After wasting their 5-10 minutes busting the "easy" one, they're going to be disappointed when it contains only ammo, and they've blown their "clock" for cracking the better safes.

johnthomas
01-16-2010, 1:02 PM
For those that don't have a safe or a lot of guns, two things have to be in mind. Security for your guns when your not at home and ease of getting them while you are.
Inside your closet, above your head on the wall the door is on. You can put a shelf up there or for hand guns, cut between studs and inset a small electrical box or handgun safe. You walk into your closet, turn around and reach up and there they are.
Not everyone can afford a safe, any security is better than none at all.

pingpong
01-16-2010, 1:08 PM
I have mine stuffed in my closet. If I were a crook, there'd be a lot more stuff I'd rather take than the guns (out of sheer value).

IrishPirate
01-16-2010, 1:17 PM
no safe yet....no where to put it in my tiny appt. However, everything that isn't being used for HD is in locked container, or has the bolt taken out and locked away. Getting a stack on convertable cabinet though once my house is built.

ErikTheRed
01-16-2010, 2:02 PM
I have a Stack-On double-door cabinet, it was given to me last year by my folks for my birthday. No, it isn't the greatest of security, but the thieves have to get into my house, past both of my large dogs, into my locked closet, and then break into the locker. Not an easy or quiet thing to do. Someday though, I hope to have a real safe.

oddjob
01-16-2010, 3:01 PM
As others have stated a safe is the best thing. But since the question was about alternate methods of storage I would recommend one of those zippered bank bags that has a lock on it. Then cable it to something. Those bank bags are tough!

C_1
01-16-2010, 7:47 PM
I dont mean to thread jack, but Im kind of in the same boat. I dont have the money for a "real" safe, nor do I have the space (I live in an upstairs apartment).

Those Stack-On sheet metal boxes dont look too sturdy. I think I can kick it in or something..

That $180 Sentry 5 gun safe any good? Seems like it would fit perfect in my closet..

Anybody use a diamond plate truck tool box? Are there other alternatives?

Meety Peety
01-16-2010, 8:01 PM
I have a safe. Not one of these push button electric lock ones either. It has a 3 wheel S&G combo lock with a theoretical one million combinations. I have the change key and set my own combos

In addition, I have two carry boxes with the Simplex 5 button lock that I use if/when I transport.

The room is alarmed. And the door to the room is self closing with an electric push button lock.

(I am working on getting less paranoid?)
Before I had a safe I just used lockable Pelican cases and put them in the closet. To tell the truth, I got a safe more because I ran out of room to store cases lol. I ended up picking up a decent set of two (One pistol and one long gun) that stack for around $300 shipped. Holds 14 long guns and 12 pistols and I could probably add a few to that if I stuffed it full. They aren't the best, but it beats having guns laying all over the place. I keep ammo and range stuff in locked dry boxes, which were a great value (Like 15 bucks a pop) and bigger/better than and range bag in that price range. I'll see if I can find a link on the safe, its been a while.

SeanCasey
01-16-2010, 8:20 PM
I recently bought a Centurion safe from lowes when they had a sale around Chirstmas. I find that I worry less about them getting stolen when I leave home and there was some room left over to keep important documents in.

For what its worth I live in a 3rd floor apartment so it was fun getting that sucker up the stairs.

El Gato
01-16-2010, 8:24 PM
Hey guys,

I'd like to know how many guys here do NOT own a gun safe? I mean you own handguns and or rifles, but don't own a gun safe.

What do you use/store alternatives...??

Thanks...

not having a safe is a really good way to not have any handguns etc...
got called to back up my partner last week...
thieves had been in a house about 15 minutes...
took about 50,000 in guns...
the homeowner kindly left tools in the garage which they used to pry open the locked closet door and the "safe" which was one of those lock boxes with a key...15 minutes... nobody saw a thing... the place was also trashed... every drawer overturned and dumped in the rooms ... no electronics left etc... trashed...
buy a dang safe...
AND BOLT IT DOWN....
friend of mine kindly left his heavy hand truck in the garage that the theives used to take his gun safe...

ErikTheRed
01-16-2010, 8:50 PM
Those Stack-On sheet metal boxes dont look too sturdy. I think I can kick it in or something..

I don't think anyone will be "kicking it in". The Stack-On cabinets would actually take a bit of work to get into for the average scumbag novice thief, and would make some noise doing it--- noise and delay is the enemy of any thief. While nowhere near the security of an actual safe, they still provide reasonable security.

El Gato
01-17-2010, 9:18 PM
I don't think anyone will be "kicking it in". The Stack-On cabinets would actually take a bit of work to get into for the average scumbag novice thief, and would make some noise doing it--- noise and delay is the enemy of any thief. While nowhere near the security of an actual safe, they still provide reasonable security.

see my prior post...
the knuckle heads got a pry bar from the garage and a sledge... 15 mnutes and cleaned the house... stack on lock box with a key...better than nothin' mind you and better than nothin' in a two story apartment with no ability to have a real safe .. duly noted