PDA

View Full Version : Pro CCW Chris Norby elected to Assembly

steadyrock
01-13-2010, 3:08 PM
Nice to see one of ours win once in a while. :)

County Supervisor Chris Norby cruised to an easy win in Tuesday's special election to fill the state Assembly seat vacated by Mike Duvall, who resigned in September after he was caught bragging about extramarital sex.

Norby, the Republican nominee, was buoyed by being better known, having more campaign cash, and by the Republicans' 9 percentage point advantage among voters in the 72nd Assembly District. Norby beat Democrat John MacMurray by a 2-1 margin, getting 63 percent of the vote to MacMurrary's 31 percent. Only about 15 percent of voters cast ballots in the race.

"There was a very difficult inter-party race in November, but this runoff was very different with the party registration what it is," said Norby, a 60-year-old Fullerton resident. "We spent most of our money and energy in the primary."

The Green Party's Jane Rands, who rounded out the field, finished a distant third.

A date for swearing in has not been set, although it is likely to occur before the end of January. Norby must first resign his supervisor's seat. His Assembly District includes all of Fullerton, Placentia and Brea, and parts of Yorba Linda, Anaheim, Orange and La Habra.

Norby has spent seven years as supervisor and, before that, 18 years as a Fullerton City Council member. The former high school teacher emphasized education in his campaign, calling for a bigger slice of schools funds to go to the classroom. In an effort to attract and retain quality teachers, he's touted his proposal that 60 percent of school funding go to teachers.

Norby has long been an activist leading the charge for reform of redevelopment districts. He believes too many tax breaks and tax dollars are spent unnecessarily for retail establishments, and that money would be better spent on other public needs including education.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/norby-228895-percent-vote.html

Norby firmly seated himself in the pro-CCW side during the Board of Supervisors hearings last February. He's definitely on our side, and so far has been a vocal supporter.

The Duke
01-13-2010, 3:17 PM
+1 for Norby. I've met him a few times...I think he's going to be a lot more ethical than Duvall was, though I was always pretty happy with Duvall's voting record and endorsed local candidates, so it might not end up being a net gain for our side.

wkd4496
01-13-2010, 3:43 PM
+1:thumbsup:

IGOTDIRT4U
01-13-2010, 3:52 PM
Sweet! He impressed me on all those OC Board of Supes meetings we went to. He actually seemed prepared, go figure.

Glock22Fan
01-13-2010, 4:38 PM
Presumably then he has to resign the Supervisor's osition. Hope you get someone as good.

obeygiant
01-13-2010, 7:02 PM
I received my ballot in the mail several weeks ago and decided to call them up and asked what his policies were WRT Gun Control, CCW, and whether the RKBA is a collective or individual right and all I can say is that he is a firm supporter of the 2A and specifically Shall Issue CCW. Needless to say he got my vote.

wildhawker
01-13-2010, 7:25 PM
Nice to see one of ours win once in a while. :)

Great news out of the OC. Thanks for the heads up steadyrock!

SteveH
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Norby is too easily swayed by stronger personalities IMO. Hopefully he latches on to a progun person in his new gig because his opinions will untimately mirror those of whichever alpha male host he connects with.