PDA

View Full Version : Slide changing color

clickbang
01-13-2010, 2:18 PM
I have a black sig p229. I noticed that the slide of the gun is looking dull and is clearly not the same color as the rest of the gun. It wasnt like this before. It is a brand new gun...just picked it up new year's eve.

Anyone else have this problem? What should I do about it?

vega
01-13-2010, 2:21 PM
Dang, you got one of those fake Sigs that has been going around.

Hopefully someone can answer your question.

69Mach1
01-13-2010, 2:21 PM
The P229 has two different finishes for the slide and the frame. Their also made up of different materials. New guns are oiled up. When the oil is wiped away, the matt finish of the slide comes out.

clickbang
01-13-2010, 2:23 PM
The P229 has two different finishes for the slide and the frame. Their also made up of different materials. New guns are oiled up. When the oil is wiped away, the matt finish of the slide comes out.
So that is common, huh? Just need to give it a nice oil massage to get it back to its showroom shine?

9mmepiphany
01-13-2010, 6:33 PM
that should do it, the frame is aluminum alloy and has a darker finish on it

dfletcher
01-13-2010, 6:43 PM
I'm not all that familiar with Sigs - can't keep the damn model numbers straight - but if the frame is alloy and the slide is steel then there will be a slight or not so slight difference. Alloys generally have some sort of anodized finish as opposed to the steel's blued, parkerized or similar finish. If you look at the older airweight Smiths, Colt Cobra or Agent the difference is more readily apparent with higher polished guns.