Richard
12-21-2005, 11:43 PM
http://www.aresdefense.com/status.htm

RRangel
12-22-2005, 12:07 AM
It sure took them long enough.

rssslvr
12-22-2005, 8:18 AM
that is what i want for christmas.i'm gonna right santa aletter and overnight it.
how much are those things going for?

BigAL
12-22-2005, 8:38 AM
that is what i want for christmas.i'm gonna right santa aletter and overnight it.
how much are those things going for?

The Shrike upper goes for $5,000. But with the LONG wait for it I would expect a considerable wait time as they fill orders for those that have had deposits for years.

Personally, I really don't see the point unless you own a registered full-auto reciever.

Rumpled
12-22-2005, 8:41 AM
According to their order form

Sit down first

$4995

Richard
12-22-2005, 9:04 AM
Way back then I placed 1k deposit and the total cost was $2495.
but its been over 3 years

johndoe
12-22-2005, 10:54 AM
now that would be a nice christmas present!

rssslvr
12-22-2005, 11:23 AM
5000 for an upper it sure is nice but a bit out of my price range:(

RRangel
12-22-2005, 1:00 PM
I'm just happy something like this can benefit our military. I think that's rather expensive though.

Stanze
12-22-2005, 1:09 PM
Just to clarify, no one in CA can legally use the Shrike unless on a registered AW with owned before 2000 over 10 round belts of ammo right?

And, I wonder how many rounds of continuous burst fire before the non-quick change barrel is shot out? More than most of us can afford I'm sure, just curious.:)

Richard
12-22-2005, 1:34 PM
You are correct....you have to use it with a reg. AW. and previously linked belts more than 10rnds..... or previously owned high cap mags. It takes both.

Also it does use a quick change barrel...if you look at the picture,behind the hand guard (top end) you'll see a lever with a spring ...that is your quick change mechanism.....comes off that quick.

50 Freak
12-22-2005, 3:55 PM
Just to clarify, no one in CA can legally use the Shrike unless on a registered AW with owned before 2000 over 10 round belts of ammo right?

And, I wonder how many rounds of continuous burst fire before the non-quick change barrel is shot out? More than most of us can afford I'm sure, just curious

I believe you are incorrect. You can put this on your DPMS single shot lower and as long as you don't link it more than 10 rounds at a time. You're okay.

Now if you have a registered AW/AR lower, then your good to go.

But $5000 for a upper. Damn that cost too much. I'd rather have an HB AR and 25 BetaMags for the same price.

Stanze
12-22-2005, 3:58 PM
So, it does have a quick change barrel system? Game on! Now, about the 5K.:D

BigAL
12-22-2005, 4:03 PM
Also it does use a quick change barrel...if you look at the picture,behind the hand guard (top end) you'll see a lever with a spring ...that is your quick change mechanism.....comes off that quick.

Since replacement barrels are proprietary I think they cost somewhere around $500 each.

Stanze
12-22-2005, 5:00 PM
I believe you are incorrect. You can put this on your DPMS single shot lower and as long as you don't link it more than 10 rounds at a time. You're okay.

Now if you have a registered AW/AR lower, then your good to go.

But $5000 for a upper. Damn that cost too much. I'd rather have an HB AR and 25 BetaMags for the same price.

I was told that Shrikes count as detachable "mags" in CA.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=25111

saki302
12-22-2005, 6:13 PM
I have a fix :D

Assuming this thing even works with cloth belts-
sew the first and last 3 loops shut in a 16 round belt. Attach plastic donuts ot these ends, so the belt cannot come off.

FIXED MAG!! ;)

If it's a solid link system, the same principle works- if it's disintegrating links, forget it :D

-Dave

dwtt
12-22-2005, 6:26 PM
I don't get it. What's the point of this thing? Isn't the SAW supposed to do what this thing is designed to do? Why would the military buy this?

BigAL
12-22-2005, 6:53 PM
I don't get it. What's the point of this thing? Isn't the SAW supposed to do what this thing is designed to do? Why would the military buy this?

I haven't heard anything about the military buying this. It's targeted at civilians. Especially those with registered machine guns. Since transfereable machineguns that are belt-fed are ridiculously expensive to buy, this represents a "cheap" way for those with RRs, RDIAS, and LLs to get a full auto belt fed.

Richard
12-22-2005, 7:07 PM
just to clarify...it uses saw disintegrating links ,not cloth belts and ar mags

RRangel
12-22-2005, 7:40 PM
It would be very versatile. This would compliment our troops toolkit of weapons. I think I've read that certain units will want them or are probably testing something similar if not this already.

You can have an M4 one day and something small and compact with similar capability as the M249 the next. If you've never had to carry and use an M249 you may not understand. It weighs at least 20 lbs with ammo. It's heavier than any M16 rifle or variant. Imagine the firepower you'd have with a Shrike in a smaller package? A shoulder fired, belt fed, air cooled, gas operated, very lightweight machine gun that has the round count of an M249 machine gun.

I can hear terrorists running away already.

:)

saki302
12-23-2005, 2:48 AM
I know why my uncle's buying one- he has a registered M16 receiver :D

I will be planning an interstate vacation sometime after his comes in :D

-Dave