PDA

View Full Version : Revolver today

ap3572001
01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
In the age of high cap autos, custom 1911's,Night sights, light rails,Glocks , High Tech AR's etc. As far as defense handgun ,where is a simple 38/357 revolver stands today? Just say std. a model 66 Smith and Wesson or a Ruger GP100? I would like some opinions and them I will give mine.

trashman
01-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I am an unabashed fan of the 8-shot S&W 627. It's my go-to defensive handgun when I'm wandering the desert in Nevada.

--Neill

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/627001.jpg

ivanimal
01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Save up and buy a Colt.:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/Coltcollection227.jpg

9mmepiphany
01-13-2010, 12:06 AM
the 8-shot S&W M-627 is an extremely viable combat gun...especially if you get it tuned by a master like Randy Lee of Apex Tactical in Morro Bay. his DA work can rival any DAO semi-auto action.

i just sent him a LE trade-in M66-7 to work his magic on...i'm just trying to decide if a 5lb trigger is too light for the DA

Bruce
01-13-2010, 12:15 AM
A revolver will defend you just as well as the latest "Wunder-nine". You just won't be able to miss as much with the revolver. :D

axhoaxho
01-13-2010, 2:52 AM
I recently added another revolver to my collection -- a S&W 327 Night Guard.

It looks and works pretty much like any good old revolver. Yet, it is a 8-shots (.357 Magnum / .38 Special), has a scandium alloy N-frame, and weights only 27.6 oz. It also came standard with Tritium night sight.

Pair with some .38 Special +P 135g Gold Dot Short Barrel rounds, I think it will do fine as its name - Night Guard - suggests.

With best regards,

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd162/axhoaxho/357ng2.jpg

Miltiades
01-13-2010, 3:40 AM
Revolvers are excellent defensive tools. The first shot is the most important, because it has the potential to end the fight quickly. The next 10 or 15 shots may not be needed.

Here is one of my favorites, which sits in a steel lockbox next to my computer:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SW66-310.jpg

plankowner
01-13-2010, 4:53 AM
That right there is sexy!:drool5:

littlejake
01-13-2010, 5:38 AM
IMHO -- The revolver is an often overlooked defense handgun. People seem to be attracted to the semiautos.

It has several pluses -- the same springs are in compression whether loaded or unloaded. The action is simple to understand and to check if clear or loaded.

I like that S&W M66 3 inch. For those who prefer a Colt, I find the problem to be the limited number of rostered Colts.

My first handgun was a Colt Cobra 2" .38 spl that I bought in 1969. I literally wore it out. Sure do miss those small Colts.

trashman
01-13-2010, 6:30 AM
I recently added another revolver to my collection -- a S&W 327 Night Guard.

Very cool -- how does it shoot with 158gr .357s?

I'm thinking about picking up a Night Guard 315 -- the 6-shot K-frame .38.

--Neill

nn3453
01-13-2010, 6:41 AM
It is more about the ability of the shooter than whether it is an auto or revolver. Good revolver shooters can put auto guys to shame. I have seen revolver shooters (not in the Miculek category of shooters, just your garden variety competition shooters) shoot 6, reload and shoot 6 more and be on target every single time faster than most casual shooters with autos.

Wheelguns have many advantages and some of the traditional disadvantages are easily remedied with moonclips and with 8 shot cylinders these days.

RedFord150
01-13-2010, 8:03 AM
I own a Ruger GP100 in .357 and a Ruger Speed Six (S6) in .38. The S6 (1989 vintage) is the one by my bed at night. I keep it loaded with 125 grain JHP.
My .45's and my .380 stay in the safe at night. The GP100 comes out if I hear a lot of activity. I live in a suburb of LA, near a busy street.
The S6 is 2 3/4" barrel, fixed sights, Hogue Nylon Monogrip, and stainless finish. My wife shoots it as well as I do. Simple to operate, goes boom every time, and is accurate as h%#@. Hopefully, I will not need more than 6 shots. If I do, I have 2 speedloaders in the nightstand.
Most gun owners do not go to a range more than a few times a year (or much less). These people are far better served with a revolver than a semi-auto (SA). Us Calgunners who shoot weekly or monthly are the probably the exception, not the rule.
Back in 1977, Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme (follower of Charles Manson), tried to assassinate President Gerald Ford with a .45 SA she had bought several days before the attempt. She had taken the gun out once to get familiar before deciding to kill the President. It was loaded with 4 rounds at the time of the attempt. Luckily for our President, she failed to chamber a round before pulling the trigger. The Secret Service got to her before she figured out her mistake.
I am no expert, but I wonder how many casual gun owners would do the samething. If you have a failure with a revolver, you can usually sgueeze the trigger (or cock the hammer) to get to the next round. If you 'limp wrist' your SA or you have some other 'jam', what do you do?
Of course, this is only my opinion and you should do your own research.

ancora
01-13-2010, 8:07 AM
Revolvers will eat any ammo. You can use hot compressed loads or mid range loads. They don't care, and you will never get a "smokestack."

ap3572001
01-13-2010, 8:36 AM
I am glad revolver is still respected ! So many times I go to the public range and my LE range at work , and see people showing up with THE LATEST stuff that they CAN'T SHOOT! I mean really can't shoot. I remember once walking down the line , at a POLICE PISTOL MATCH with my old S&W model 14 ( 38SPL). Some officers said that they understand that I am an OLD TIMES and "DON"T FEEL FOR HIGH CAP FORTY WITh a bunch of lasers and flashlights on it". I admired their guns and kept walking. When the match was over and we walked up to watch our targets being scored, I no longer heard anything about being OLD TIMER with wheelgun.......

grymster
01-13-2010, 9:06 AM
Mrs. Grymster has a Glock and I want a 1911 and maybe a semi in .22 LR, but I think I like revolvers more than semis.

powaybob
01-13-2010, 9:21 AM
For years my HD was a Ruger Security Six. Recently I went to Front Sight for the 4 day course and I feel comfortable with my semi-autos now (all .45 ACP). I am going back in March for a repeat of the 4 day with a semi auto, and then I'll go back with a revolver. Evreyone in my class in October had a semi auto. From the class perspective, there are not many malfunctions you can have with a revolver. Reloading quickly under pressure is the hard part.

I have a GP-100 6 inch that I really like and I shoot it almost as well as my SA XD.

Revolvers are still very viable for self defense, and of course many handgun hunters use revolvers.

golfrj
01-13-2010, 9:30 AM
As a Proud owner of a S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun (45 colt) I feel revolvers have More Personality than autos (No flames, I have both) and in 45 colt can be loaded from very light loads to More than Magnum for different occasions..

Old School? Yes, But for some reason I just shoot them better?....

jazman
01-13-2010, 9:42 AM
I really like and rely on my wheelguns. The ease/simplicity of use, especially in the dark, is important to me.

buffybuster
01-13-2010, 9:53 AM
IMO A good quality revolver is ideal for home defense for a non-shooter. Often, a HD weapon can remain untouched for long periods of time, with little to no attention/maintenance. A loaded revolver, tucked in a drawer, will still be ready to fire after many years. A semi-auto with compressed magazine springs, may or may not and require regular maintenance and inspection. (Please, No posts of finding a loaded mag that sat for a long time and still working, as there are also instances of them NOT working too.)

littlejake
01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Reloading quickly under pressure is the hard part.

One will be as good as one trains to be. If one is serious about quickly reloading a revolver. It must be opened with a 4 finger butterfly grip in the left hand with left thumb on the ejector rod. Flip it vertical and hit that ejector while using the right hand to simultaneously reaching for a speed loader. Vertical is important to get all the cases to drop. Flip wrist -- to get muzzle slightly down and insert speed loader; twist knob and let the speed loader drop. Close action with left thumb while getting the right hand on the grips. There is an exchange from right to left hand and back that requires practice. Speed loaders need to be where they are accessible to the right hand. If wearing a Sam Browne Belt that means placing speed loader pouches on the right side between the buckle and holster.

Two biggest mistakes made in practice are catching ones brass in the hand; and hanging onto the speed loader. Train that way and you will shoot that way.

shooting4life
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I personally have an auto as my bedside gun, I have spent a lot of time practicing loading and clearing jams with my beretta brigadier in 9mm, but for my wife I found a s&w model 60 with a crimson trace grip for her. She is not into guns like I am and has gone shooting in the past but not enough to use a auto pistol in a home defense role when you have the adrenalin dump. I think this is where the revolver really shines. I told her the bullet goes where the laser is and you get five shots and this is how you reload. It really is just point click and that is perfect for her.

When I am at the range I usually only shoot my revolvers. I hate picking up brass and my ammo seems to last longer.

joelberg
01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm a big fan of GP100's and 1858 Rem's :D

I dig my auto fotay though too.

JohnJW
01-13-2010, 5:00 PM
I was typical gun owner who grew up in the late 80's early 90's watching all the action movies and thought nothing of revolvers. My first few handguns were all HK, Sigs or Glocks and thought nothing of revolvers. In the mid90s I took an beginner firearms class at a local community college and I can still remember thinking how outdated the revolvers were and wishing I can bring my own semi-auto to the class. Boy, I was arrogant newbie and it turned out that it was the revolver that taught me how to shoot. Today I am just as comfortable with a revolver as with a semi-auto. Learning to shoot with the revolver made me a better shooter. Learning to control that double action trigger and the ability to skip load make the resolver a indispensable learning tool for me.

retired
01-13-2010, 5:17 PM
I have 3 revolvers, all S&W. One is my former duty gun, a Model 15 Combat Masterpiece .38. I bought it when we transitioned to the 92f. One is my Model 66 2 1/2" bought in 1978 and the last is my Model 60 bought in 1976.

I used the latter as my bug and off duty. I had the hammer bobbed for ease of removal from my pocket. It only shoots .38 unlike the newer ones.

Lucky Scott
01-13-2010, 5:27 PM
I love revolvers! They just speak to me and are wonderful in their simplicity.
I have both semi autos and revolvers, but enjoy the .38 snubnose and .38 S & W 4 inch barrel the best. I even enjoy one from the 40's that has a lot of charm and character.
I carry the .38 snubnose the most.

Rob454
01-13-2010, 5:49 PM
people get attracted to semi autos because they are sexed up in movies and on cop tv shows. besides people think that revolvers arent as good due to the lower amount of ammo they hold. When was the last time you saw a revolver in a cop tv show.
personally i like revolvers just fine.

9mmepiphany
01-13-2010, 6:45 PM
Two biggest mistakes made in practice are catching ones brass in the hand; and hanging onto the speed loader

i understand why folks catch their brass, that's just a habit that needs to be broken...but i've never understood, why someone smart enough to favor speedloaders over loose rounds would not understand droping the speedloader when they've released the rounds.

i can't even think of what you'd do with an empty speedloader

walter
01-13-2010, 6:50 PM
i love revolvers, i just dont own any. my favorite is smith and wesson 686 or 586. i think thats my standard. rugers are cool too btu they arent *** refined. but you can smash somebody's skull with a ruger and not feel bad

CapnHawk
01-13-2010, 9:04 PM
I would never, EVER trust my life to a semiauto. Revolver all the way.

ap3572001
01-14-2010, 9:09 AM
[QUOTE=CapnHawk;3637462]I would never, EVER trust my life to a semiauto. Revolver all the way.[/QUO

Somehow I must agree with You ....... I have been working at our police range doing qualifications for over 10 years now. I see many officers shoot almost every week. I have seen Glock , HK's , Sigs etc jam. In 9mm ,40 and 45. I have seen jams that You cant even clear w/o taking the pistol apart. Glocks need to be held tight to function well, New Sig .40's need to be WET with oil on the rails , USP ownrs must make sure that their magazines are not deformed and that the pin holding the recoil spring is not working it self out. ETC. The only hanguns I never wintessed having problems were Riger and Smith and Wesson revolvers in 38/357 and STD Beretta 92 FS with full capacity magazines and quality JHP'S.

I also feel that if You fired 5-6 rounds and don't even have a chance to drop a speed loader ........ Something went very wrong. I also feel that if You feel that a good 357 magnum with a couple of reloads is not enough for the task , then bring a rifle or shotgun. PS. By the way , I am not in any way saying that 92FS is the best pistol. I just share my observations form many years of watching many people shoot a combat course.

grymster
01-14-2010, 9:14 AM
i can't even think of what you'd do with an empty speedloader I always figured they belong to the range, so I've been leaving them. :D

shooting4life
01-14-2010, 9:20 AM
My beretta 92 will eat anything. I put over 400 rounds of my expensive night stand ammo through it to make sure it would function with all the mags I use. It takes a lot of ammo for me to trust a hd auto loader. The revolvers on the other, I will put 50 rounds the check function of revolver and speed loaders and call it a day.

I wish I could find a lew horton 625 pre lock. Load it with some 45 super on moon clips, could not think of anything better for the nightstand.

ap3572001
01-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Another thing. I remember the old articles : Revolver VS. Semi. Remember? I guess I am old..... Anyway. I will compare my two favorite off duty handguns. Glock 23 and Smith and Wesson model 66 2 1/2 . the 66 is more comfortable for me to carry. It has adjustable sigths so I can zero it with whatever I decide to loaded with. It will shoot 38 mild target WC Ammo , 38 STD VEL. loads, 38+p , 38+p+, REM MED velocity .357 magnum and STD .357 magnum. Its VERY accurate all the way to 50 yards. If I need to use exotic ammunition, I just need to fire a couple rounds to establish the point of impact ( And can adjust my sigths if I need to) . You can find tons of different grips to fit any size hand. If You have a bad round , just pull the trigger again. I like my 23, but it cant do everyhting the 66 can.

Rekrab
01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I would trust my Beretta Px4 in a home defense situation. But that's only because I've put nearly 2k rounds down the pipe and only had 1 jam.

My Taurus revolver on the other hand...

Well, let's just say it needs some work.

jordeezy
01-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I love my S&W 66-2

Fishslayer
01-14-2010, 12:48 PM
When my brand new KP90 proved to be a jam-o-matic I went out & got a .357 wheelgun.

Y'all may now proceed to tell us how many trouble free rounds you have through your semi autos.

Sorry. Still a bit touchy. It will take many hundreds of rounds for the Ruger to gain my trust...

B Strong
01-14-2010, 4:39 PM
In the age of high cap autos, custom 1911's,Night sights, light rails,Glocks , High Tech AR's etc. As far as defense handgun ,where is a simple 38/357 revolver stands today? Just say std. a model 66 Smith and Wesson or a Ruger GP100? I would like some opinions and them I will give mine.

No matter how great of a go-fast autoloader you carry, a good Smith 36, 38 or 40 should be part of your edc.

JTROKS
01-14-2010, 4:59 PM
I am an unabashed fan of the 8-shot S&W 627. It's my go-to defensive handgun when I'm wandering the desert in Nevada.

--Neill

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/627001.jpg

8 rounds of 357 magnum is awesome when out trekking in areas away from civilization. 6 or 7 rounds with my GP100 or 686+ is also good enough. :D

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/DSC04363.jpg

flatovercrest
01-14-2010, 6:40 PM
The first three guns I ever bought were Smiths and Ruger revolvers. Sold them all and now have semis only. Don't miss them. Ergonomics of the revolver are too primitive in my opinion.

AGGRO
03-06-2010, 2:20 PM
I'm reading up on this and need a backup gun in hog country while bow hunting. I'm starting to lean to a wheel gun (I'm a lefty). If I do need this I can't deal with a jam. It will probably be a very quick, oh no, I need to shoot this pig or cat fast.