View Full Version : hey folks help me pick my next hand gun

judoguy
01-12-2010, 8:12 PM
hey cal gunners needed some help picking next handgun,
with a reason why if you have the time :D

my choices so far

1. Glock 19
2. Sig 9mm, not sure which...
3. Rock Arms 1911, just for the cheap factor.

wanted to move up from shooting .22lrs, I really dont care about home defense not buying the handgun with that in mind at all, just more for fun target shootin along side my .22s

I know the glock 19 is excellent, honestly my personal choice,

but i wanted to know what people might say if compared to a sig, never shot one so I dont know,

or the rock arms 1911, just the fact that I always wanted to own a 1911 but didnt want to pay too much for something that will not be shot so often.

thanks folks

-Jason

JosephP
01-12-2010, 8:20 PM
I have both glock 19 and Sig P228.
They all very reliable and superb pistol.
But those are all compact size defense pistol.
So If you want to do the target shooting... I think it will be better for you to go with full size pistol like Glock 17 or Sig P226.
Full size 5" 1911 is also good choice if ammo price is not a matter for you.
But for me I will go with cheaper and less recoil 9mm for target shooting.

One more thing... for recoil wise Sig is little softer than Glock since it is more heavy.
Accuracy... in my honest opinion... People matters.. not gun.
Good luck to have a nice pistol that can serve you better.

If money doesn't matter I will go with hi-end custom 1911 such as Les baer.
Also you have choice in 9mm. Glock G34 or Sig P226 X-Five.

judoguy
01-12-2010, 8:25 PM
thanks for the insight,

yeah reason i chose glock 19 is it just fits perfectly in the hand, so guessing the p228 is a very similar size?

i was even considering the kahr cw9 since its pretty cheap, but the trigger pull felt weird

judoguy
01-12-2010, 8:34 PM
I have both glock 19 and Sig P228.
They all very reliable and superb pistol.
But those are all compact size defense pistol.
So If you want to do the target shooting... I think it will be better for you to go with full size pistol like Glock 17 or Sig P226.
Full size 5" 1911 is also good choice if ammo price is not a matter for you.
But for me I will go with cheaper and less recoil 9mm for target shooting.

One more thing... for recoil wise Sig is little softer than Glock since it is more heavy.
Accuracy... in my honest opinion... People matters.. not gun.
Good luck to have a nice pistol that can serve you better.

If money doesn't matter I will go with hi-end custom 1911 such as Les baer.
Also you have choice in 9mm. Glock G34 or Sig P226 X-Five.

hey just noticed your sig!

im korean too!! i wonder if orange county has korean shooting clubs

IrishPirate
01-12-2010, 8:36 PM
Sig is vastly superior to glock. It's like comparing a Ferrari and a Chevy......Sig has way better engineering and performance is top notch. Get either the 228 or the 229. Same gun basically, but the 229 was made for 40cal and 357sig so it's slightly beefier, but you can get a 9mm kit too and it's only slightly bigger than the 228. 228 is just 9mm, but it's probably the best 9mm ever made. 229 is on the roster, 228 would need to be PPT.

Are you thinking armscor 1911 in 9mm? my buddy's dad just got one in .45 and likes it but remember, you get what you pay for. not alot of quality control comming out of armscor from what i hear. kinda hit and miss.

BlackonBlack
01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Sig is vastly superior to glock. It's like comparing a Ferrari and a Chevy....

I don't think a Sig is VASTLY superior to a Glock. Glocks have their merits.

To answer OP I'd recommend Glock 19. love mine

slik556
01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Sig is vastly superior to glock. It's like comparing a Ferrari and a Chevy......Sig has way better engineering and performance is top notch. Get either the 228 or the 229. Same gun basically, but the 229 was made for 40cal and 357sig so it's slightly beefier, but you can get a 9mm kit too and it's only slightly bigger than the 228. 228 is just 9mm, but it's probably the best 9mm ever made. 229 is on the roster, 228 would need to be PPT.

Are you thinking armscor 1911 in 9mm? my buddy's dad just got one in .45 and likes it but remember, you get what you pay for. not alot of quality control comming out of armscor from what i hear. kinda hit and miss.

Why would the Sig P228 need to be ppt'd? They are at Turners and a bunch of other places for sale. I don't get this statement..
Maybe folded steel slide P226's

Sinixstar
01-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I'd say go for the glock or the sig. I think the glock is a bit more fun to shoot.
I get my G19 out of 10 day hold sunday actually.

I also have a 1911, that i bought just about a year ago. Really fun gun - I like it a lot, but it's a bit more work to maintain, and ammo is easily 2-3x the price. I picked up the 9mm so I can shoot something bigger than a .22 - but cheaper than a .45. I like my 1911, and i'm glad i bought it, no plans to get rid of it - but it is slowly getting moved out of range rotation. It's just too much on the wallet to shoot regularly right now.

I'd also suggest if you're going to get a 1911 - you save a bit and put more money into it. You do pay for quality. You're better off spending a few hundred bucks more, but getting something that's going to be more enjoyable and less work to shoot. Only way I could really suggest going with one of the budget 1911s like that, is if you're going to strip it down and replace a bunch of components to build a semi-custom gun. Even then i'm not sure i'd really suggest a budget 1911 to start with, unless you find one with a really good slide/frame fit.

tbhracing
01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
The Glock 19 is like a high school education- All should have one. I love mine and will never give it up.

longarmshortlegs
01-12-2010, 11:33 PM
I'll throw this in just to mix it up a bit. This may be of little concern to you, but here are some things that I think of:

Cleaning, lubrication, and storage.
-I think that the Glock cleans up pretty well, and it is easy. Most of the cavities are easy access. The SIG has some tough spots, and some dark trenches, but nothing that is impossible to access.

-I cannot stand a greasy/oily gun. The Glock requires minimal (but necessary) lubrication, which means the oil stays on the gun and not on my hands. SIG requires slightly more attention.

-Storage goes up there with cleaning and lubrication. The Glock finish is tough, and stores equally as well as it takes use. If you are storing your SIG for any extended period of time make sure it's lubed propely and well especially if you live in a humid area. Unless your SIG is stainless finish, it's difficult to compare the two.

I'm sure the majority of people don't mind these factors, and maybe just as many people really enjoy cleaning, and lubing, and cleaning. I don't mind it, but I can only take so much. Especially after a range session with the entire family (and friends).

In any case, always follow (or at least acknowledge) the manufacturers instruction and recommendation on cleaning and lubrication, regardless of what you hear or read about neglect, or it not being necessary. Those who say you don't have to clean, or lube, or that "you can throw it in the dishwasher" are not the ones who are going to be crying when their firearm is damaged.

Icypu
01-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I just got an FNP-9. It has a great hand feel, and is lighter than a glock 17. I don't shoot very well with it yet, but thats just because the gun shoots better than I do. Out of breaking it in, I shot 200 rounds with one FTF and one shot where the slide didn't lock back after empty.

It breaks open so easy and is a dream to clean.

jmf_tracy
01-12-2010, 11:57 PM
ok, i will help you. get an XD9mm instead of a glock. it is kinda like a refined glock. i have the subcompact (3" barrel) and the tactical (5" barrel) and love em both. i will also recommend the CZ P-01 9mm, that is a sweet pistol. sorry to deviate from your list, but i am trying to help you.

Variable2147
01-13-2010, 7:30 PM
I would recommend any sig over any glock for target practice for sure...my friends, (who shoot glocks mostly), call my p226 a "cheater gun" because its so accurate...even during rapid fire.

The only gun I recommend over sig is a high end 1911 like a kimber gold cup, or les baer...sweetest auto trigger ever!

Black Majik
01-13-2010, 8:05 PM
3. Rock Arms 1911

Since you didn't fill it in, I'll just do it for you.

Rock River Arms 1911. Do that, I vote for it. :D

ALSystems
01-13-2010, 8:28 PM
I would recommend any sig over any glock for target practice for sure.
+1 My vote is for a Sig :cool:

den888
01-13-2010, 8:40 PM
I'd go Glock...

echang86
01-13-2010, 8:42 PM
Sig P228 or P226 in 9mm.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but why don't you go rent them all to see which one you like the most? It'd cost you very little compared to the price of a gun.

EDIT:
IrishPirate is mistaken about having to PPT the Sig P228. The non railed version and railed version are both on the roster...

axhoaxho
01-13-2010, 9:23 PM
If you are a .22LR guy and like to target shoot, checkout the FN Five-seveN.

It is actually a very fun gun to plink... light-weight, mild recoil, shots flat, and accurate.

If you are fond of the .22LR, the 5.7x28mm rounds may interest you as well. The civilian rounds, like the SS197, are quite reasonablely priced and is currently onsale at many online places (Cabela's, Midwayusa, etc.)

With best regards,

Acaron76
01-13-2010, 9:30 PM
It will come down to how the gun feels in your hand.... I really like the Ruger SR9, check it out.

Shotgun Dave
01-13-2010, 9:38 PM
Glock 19.

Believe in Judo!

bombadillo
01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm gonna say get a CZ75 SP-01 and call it good. Or just a CZ75B with the 3 notch rail. Solid guns built like a tank, and they are fairly hefty which I really like in my hand. Narrow grip and if you ever get out of Cali, you can get 17 or 18 round normal cap mags for them.

pingpong
01-13-2010, 10:07 PM
My vote goes to the Sig (even if it has to be used to stay at the same price point as the Glock).