PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about TAURUS!

bballwizard05
01-12-2010, 8:25 PM
My dad is looking for a 350-550$ range semi auto, in .40 cal with duo tone. (silver/black).

I found a few semi-auto taurus's in the price range, but dont know anything about them. Also if you guys have any other suggestions, post them!

Things I have so far.

XD in .40 duo-tone

Also Sig p-229. (may be a bit expensive)

if you have anything else to suggest, throw it out there. Thanks!

crud
01-12-2010, 8:38 PM
I have heard good and bad about Taurus. Sounds like a bit of a gamble with them, but I have heard their customer service is good.

five.five-six
01-12-2010, 8:39 PM
10 years ago they were real crap, I only have one tauras, it's a tracker in .357 and i love it

unusedusername
01-12-2010, 8:45 PM
I had a Taurus SA/DA 38 super a few years ago. It was a neat little pistol, pretty accurate too. I had a few FTF and FTEs when using under-powdered reloads.

With spec ammo I never had any troubles with it.

I only sold it off because I could not find 38 super ammo that is loaded to spec within my budget.

JosephP
01-12-2010, 9:28 PM
It is not a bad gun.
But copy is copy and I saw couple of my buddy having a problem with taurus pistols.
I don't know about recent product they are making but I'd go with Sig even it is slightly expensiver.

bballwizard05
01-12-2010, 9:30 PM
It is not a bad gun.
But copy is copy and I saw couple of my buddy having a problem with taurus pistols.
I don't know about recent product they are making but I'd go with Sig even it is slightly expensiver.

So I'm not positive what this means? Does it have to do with Taurus looking alot like Berreta? Or what am I missing?

Midian
01-12-2010, 9:38 PM
My Taurus isn't a .40, it's a PT1911 and it's a great gun.

They make a Beretta 96 clone don't they?

JosephP
01-12-2010, 9:44 PM
So I'm not positive what this means? Does it have to do with Taurus looking alot like Berreta? Or what am I missing?

Sorry for the confusion.
Taurus is making lot of copy guns.
They copy beretta, smith wesson.... etc.
Ofcause there are better copy guns....
but in this case, I think originals are much better.

IrishPirate
01-12-2010, 9:52 PM
I've got a Millennium Pro .45 and my friend has the 24/7Pro .40

I can't stand the way the 24/7 feels. The take up on the trigger is REDICULOUS too!!!!! Plus, for some odd reason, it kicks worse than my .45, which has a smaller barrel.....

I love my PT145 and the only reason i went with it over the same in .40 is that the .45 felt better in my hand.....of course i didn't know that the PT145's had defective magazines when i bought mine last year. I believe the .40's were ok though, no mag issues. I'd buy it in .40 if i had extra cash floating around though and just get used to it.

The good thing is there is a lifetime warranty which is awesome. I will say i didn't have the best of times dealing with customer service, but at the end of the day, your gun is covered for life.

Personally, I'd go with Sig. I would have if I had the money at the time, but I didn't. Now, i'm saving up for a Sig because they are absolutely amazing guns. My brother has a 226 in .40 with a .357sig conversion and it's a blast to shoot. super accurate, better than his XD .40, and easy to manage recoil. Sig makes great guns, if you have the chance, get one. I suggest the 229 if you want .40, i prefer it to the 226 (my brother does too actually but his 226 was a cheaper police trade in, factory refurbished gun so he went that route).

Taurus is good for the money. Go the Millennium route though, 24/7 sucks!

If you go XD, dont get the 3" sub compact, just go with the 4" compact. The sub compact kicks like a damn mule!!!!!!

gearhead15
01-12-2010, 9:58 PM
Bud's Gun Shop lists the FNP-40 with manual safety and the matte stainless slide for $551. They appear to be out of stock on the one without the manual safety, which is about $50 cheaper. FNP is a good, reliable gun.

MudCamper
01-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I own 3 Taurus handguns.

I have a PT92, which is the Beretta 92 clone. Actually, Beretta used to make them in the Taurus plant in Brazil, and when they stopped, the sold the plant, dies, everything and that became Taurus. They started out copying other designs like one poster said, but they have long moved on to many of their own designs. They make all kinds of guns. Just look at their website.

I also own 2 PT145s. It's a really nice little 10+1 45 auto.

I have had no trouble with any of them. They all function flawlessly.

IMO Taurus lives up to it's motto, "Affordable Quality".

Sinixstar
01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Taurus has really stepped up their quality in the last bunch of years.
I have a PT-1911 that isn't a good gun for the price - it's just a flat out good gun. A lot of the other taurus guns i've seen/shot in recent memory have been considerably higher quality than i remember from back in the day.

Do your research though. As with anything there's going to be excellence, and junk. As a brand however, i wouldn't count taurus out entirely. They are capable of producing a good gun, and are an excellent value.

randy
01-13-2010, 1:35 AM
Buy something else. The QC dept is the RA line.

pingpong
01-13-2010, 2:14 AM
Hard to beat the taurus on the value for the money.

Personally, I'd get a used Berettta 96 for that much money, though.

Colt-45
01-13-2010, 2:30 AM
Go with the XD.40 and you'll be happy:) you made that selection

vega
01-13-2010, 2:42 PM
...........550$ range ....

You can buy a used XD with that and if really lucky maybe a used Glock.

Or maybe a police trade-in Sig?

ETA - BTW I have a Taurus revolver, that all.

Black Majik
01-13-2010, 2:46 PM
Go pick up one of Turner's police trade in SIGs, the Zurich P228s come to mind. There's a lot of P6s to be had as well. You can find a G17 used for under $500, easily attainable at $550 new. XD, M&P, and FNP will be in the same price range.

You should be able to find a CZ75 for around that price too, or slightly used + PPT.

How about J&G's police trade in Beretta 92FSs?

Joe
01-13-2010, 2:51 PM
You can get a used glock in that price range. Thats what I'd get.

Hunt
01-13-2010, 2:52 PM
Smith and Wesson Sigma is an excellent bargain

paul0660
01-13-2010, 2:59 PM
He wants a duo tone, so that eliminates the best options in his price range.

Rob454
01-13-2010, 3:17 PM
I read/heard good and bad. i had a Taurus 44 magnum and had absolutely not one problem with it. I bought another one and I ended up selling it. The other one I had I ended up giving it to my brother.

jazman
01-13-2010, 4:24 PM
I had a Taurus snub, model 85CH (concealed hammer), very much like a S&W 642. Good, reliable wheel gun, I sold it to my BIL when he needed a piece. Seems like they are hit and miss, some get great guns, some get lemons. Good news is the customer service is supposed to be very good, perhaps because they have to be.