PDA

View Full Version : what is the best free registry cleaner/scanner

mossy
01-12-2010, 7:45 PM
one of my laptops gets a BAD POOL CALLER blue screen every time i try to shut it down, i want to download a registry cleaner/scanner to it to see if i can find the problem and fix it, i just dont know what one to get. can someone here point me to a good free registry cleaner/scanner? thanks, the laptop is running XP pro.

code33
01-12-2010, 9:31 PM
This thread that's going has some good info:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=258577

armygunsmith
01-12-2010, 9:49 PM
I use ccleaner. It's free and does a good job.

mossy
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM

thanks, i will DL it tomorrow, hope it works :D

PonchoTA
01-12-2010, 11:15 PM

+1 I use this exclusively also.

http://www.ccleaner.com Free download from FileHippo.

Richie Caketown
01-13-2010, 12:43 AM
no love for Avast or Antivir?

NaughtyMonkey
01-13-2010, 1:05 AM
+1 on Crap Cleaner

Rekrab
01-13-2010, 3:04 PM
Registry cleaners, 99% of the time, either don't work or make things worse.

You're much better doing a clean install of Windows once a year or as needed.

paul0660
01-13-2010, 3:29 PM
You're much better doing a clean install of Windows once a year or as needed.

Three years ago I would have agreed with you. It is actually possible to keep windows running FOREVER with fresh install performance. I use Spyware doctor with antivirus, Advanced SystemCare, and weekly Superantispyware sweeps. Except for the Superantispyware, it is all seamless, in the backround, and requires no input. I have a half dozen boxes and laptops set up this way, some of them reaching into the dark corners of the internet, and they keep running very, very, well.

Rekrab
01-13-2010, 3:48 PM
I don't doubt it. But running programs in the background does effect system performance negatively.

And no matter how great the new OSes are, there's no replacement for a completely clean install.

choprzrul
01-13-2010, 4:08 PM
Here is my basic tune-up formula:

Run Ccleaner
Run Cleanup!
Pop in the original Windows disk, click Start-->Run--> "sfc /scannow" without the quotes
Run Glary Utilities
Run MyDefrag

All free and I have used this process MANY times on customer computers. I think that you will be very pleasantly surprised.

paul0660
01-13-2010, 4:44 PM
no matter how great the new OSes are

Am talking XP here. We don't agree. You think you have to reinstall once a year, I don't. No biggee.

Pyrodyne
02-23-2010, 10:51 PM
BSOD's are best addressed with a hardware check - memory test, HDD test - if neither has a problem, setup the computer to take a mini dump and run a debugger on it.

I don't recommend any registry cleaner, they often create problems and i've never heard of one fixing a blue screen.

I typically use a homebrewn boot CD but ultimate boot disk generally has memory and HDD testing software that works. The debugger is available for download from microsoft.

freonr22
02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
malwarebytes.whatever, safernetworking.whatever or is it .org? are useful tools as well

SmokinMr2
02-24-2010, 12:31 AM
http://www.macecraft.com/

Free for 30 days. Best Reg cleaner out there but it may be more than you are looking for.

Rekrab
02-24-2010, 4:24 PM
BSOD's are best addressed with a hardware check - memory test, HDD test - if neither has a problem, setup the computer to take a mini dump and run a debugger on it.

I don't recommend any registry cleaner, they often create problems and i've never heard of one fixing a blue screen.

I typically use a homebrewn boot CD but ultimate boot disk generally has memory and HDD testing software that works. The debugger is available for download from microsoft.

This man speaks the truth. RegCleaners are rarely a good idea.

JDay
02-25-2010, 12:47 AM
All registry cleaners are junk, they do more harm than good. A quick Google search will also tell you that your error is caused by your video driver. Solution, update driver. You can also try running 'sfc /scannow'.