PDA

View Full Version : What handgun to use?

CGW
01-12-2010, 6:58 PM
Hello,
I dont live in the best area and looking for ideas besides moving. What if I was approached by two or more people and they are less then 15 feet away from me. Should I go revolver or pistol and what caliber? Any input would be great thanks

turbochris
01-12-2010, 7:03 PM
shoot what your good with. If I say get a desert eagle in 50 cal and you cant handle that gun. obviously it be useless. tryout some guns in different calibers and pick what your best with

CGW
01-12-2010, 7:17 PM
Thats good advice thanks

XDRoX
01-12-2010, 7:22 PM
If your not that familiar with shooting or want to get into it and want something to consider for self defense, a 9mm is a great starting point. With the powerful 9mm cartridges they make today I think you would feel very safe with a 9mm semi-auto with 11 rounds in it.

I would check out glock.

shoupdawg
01-12-2010, 7:57 PM
You talking about inside your house or out and about in public?

tiko
01-12-2010, 8:21 PM
less than 15 feet, any gun can do the job, even 22 LR like Ruger Mk II ( assassins use 22 LR)

oghl888
01-12-2010, 8:43 PM
15 feet away is pretty close. You've got to be absolutely well trained with whatever you've got in order to be effective. Also learn to use your hands/elbow/knees/legs to buy more time if needed.

JosephP
01-12-2010, 9:09 PM
I think in this case, practice will be more matter then gun.
Well... we all have our own opinion on which pistol we depend our life on.
In my case, I will use 5 shot snubnose smithy M642 either 9mm Sig or Glock with good rated ammo.
Confront with 3 guys in 15ft is situation that we can call "Very not good".
So most important thing is practice with the pistol of your choice and be good with it.
And always maintain good condition of your pistol and know your pistol.
Good luck to find a best pistol that fits you.

Rivers
01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
No fail.

10 round magazine plus one in the chamber. Completely legal in CA.

turbochris
01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
No fail.

10 round magazine plus one in the chamber. Completely legal in CA.

good point retact the fail lol

BlackonBlack
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knUkbjLPzeo&feature=related

Argonaut
01-12-2010, 11:38 PM
The best HD pistol is a shotgun......1/2 the price and 4 times as effective. YOU will go to jail if caught carrying a handgun.

Sinixstar
01-12-2010, 11:51 PM
@5 yards is NOT a very good distance. 3 guys within that range, and you better be really quick on the trigger, and not miss once.

Honestly - i would say your only chance if all 3 rushed at you, is that once you lit up the first guy, the other two had a change of heart. Otherwise you're gonna end up doin some wrestling on the ground with at least one of 'em - probably 2. Since you just shot their friend, it is not going to end well for you, i promise.

All that being said - it doesn't matter what you have at those distances. Your best defense in a situation like that - is to have the awareness of what's going on around you to avoid that scenario in the first place.

Markinsac
01-22-2010, 5:55 PM
LE academies have shown that you will not have enough time to pull a weapon from a holster if someone who is less than 21 feet away from you suddenly runs full speed at you. You have to defend yourself to get the person away from you before you will be able to safely pull a weapon.

Legasat
01-22-2010, 8:03 PM
The best weapon for you, is the one you shoot the best, are most comfortable with, and train with the most. No kidding. Pick one, then practice, practice, practice!!!

cmaynes
01-22-2010, 8:06 PM
If this is everyday living for you, wow.... I would move.

pMcW
01-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Hello,
I dont live in the best area and looking for ideas besides moving. What if I was approached by two or more people and they are less then 15 feet away from me. Should I go revolver or pistol and what caliber? Any input would be great thanks

This seems like a very academic question, unless you are planning to break the law. It's not very likely that you'll be able to legally carry handgun in CA anyway. At least not at the moment.

:(

Squidward
01-23-2010, 1:59 PM
Hello,

If they are armed and intend on harming/killing you, you're probably screwed. As posted by another member, they are too close for you to 'outdraw' them. Time and distance are your friend.

2 or 3 on 1 is not good odds for you. Situational awareness and avoidance are probably more important considerations than pistol or revolver and caliber.

Good luck.

rojocorsa
01-23-2010, 2:06 PM
Situational awareness and avoidance are probably more important considerations than pistol or revolver and caliber.

+1 I try to avoid being in Condition white.